AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 8 12.70%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 23.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 39.68%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 15.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-03, 22:47   Link #61
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Reading the comments about this episode, they pretty much capture the magic of the series: "Nothing much happened, I loved it anyway." "I was hoping something would happen, but..." This show is all about the journey, not the destination. I see elements of Petepeto-San, Kanon, Zettai Shonen (the good arc), Mahoraba... Certain anime are all about the way they feel and the way they make you feel, and this is one of them. Solid 9/10 for me.
Old 2007-05-04, 08:20   Link #62
Dreaming of Kalissa
still dreaming...

Send a message via MSN to Dreaming of Kalissa
Nice episode. I gave it 9, because it still is a bit slow, but it's gaining momentum. I like Guido's interpretations, I really haven't had the time to think about those things much, though I probably should have.

I think the thing that stood out most for me this episode was that I finally got the answer to Mana's frequently asked question, "Where do you get that confidence from?"

Short answer, from oneesan (Aono). I actually think that Aono likes the dolls as much as Matsuri does, though perhaps not for the same reason. Aono thinks they're ugly (or Yorito has no taste, more specifically) but they're from Yorito, so she keeps them. Whereas I think Matsuri has the same tastes as Yorito (at least in terms of weird-looking dolls).

I can't imagine Aono having been in hospital all her life though, the kind of relationship she has with Yorito implies they must have lived together for a while at least. Btw, don't kids in Japan have parents? What a massive cultural decline.

And I have to wonder, why is Matsuri getting chased at all? They really have to answer this soon, because atm it doesn't make much sense. She says that over time, she's been targeted, but she hasn't been sucking victims dry or causing rampage to cities and such, though I suppose she could have. But the more likely connection is with Takeshi and Mayuko, and it's possible that her backstory is just to stop Yorito from getting involved with them. I'm just speculating because I'm confused at the moment.

But this ep was about Aono and Koyori, and the interactions in this ep really adds to the sensitive side of Aono and the lonely side of Koyori, which they really both hide most of the time, except with their respective siblings, apparently. I really like all of the characters, and even though sometimes in these series the main boy character just doesn't cut it because he's just so blehh, Yorito's personality seems just complex enough to carry this series along.

Last edited by Dreaming of Kalissa; 2007-05-04 at 08:41.
Old 2007-05-04, 09:42   Link #63
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I agree, this character building is nice but they need to get the story moving forward. On that note, one more day till more Sola goodness!
Old 2007-05-04, 13:21   Link #64
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Kalissa View Post
I can't imagine Aono having been in hospital all her life though, the kind of relationship she has with Yorito implies they must have lived together for a while at least. Btw, don't kids in Japan have parents? What a massive cultural decline.
only 2 possible answers here ~
1) they are away in some distant country trying to earn a living (and its not like the have a choice) or...
2) they are dead ~

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-04, 20:00   Link #65
Dreaming of Kalissa
still dreaming...

Send a message via MSN to Dreaming of Kalissa
I'm inclined to think the second. Not because it's the preferable option, but because it creates a stronger dependence between Yorito and Aono. Still, I liked it back in the day when parents like the Miyazawas or Souichiros in Kare Kano existed.
Old 2007-05-05, 01:12   Link #66
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Well, I finally got my connection back, and now I finally got to watch Episode 4. That said, the first thing I want to say is.....

CAUGHT: Animation Error from 16:41-16:51 of the Lunar sub!. When Koyori hugs Mana from 16:41, her left arm was wrapped around Mana's right.....but from 16:45-16:47, how come her arm is wrapped around Mana's waist, but Mana's left arm remains free? What's worse, from 16:47 onwards, Koyori's left arm is back wrapped around Mana's arm. Gotcha, Nomad!

Anyway, another nice little slice-of-life episode, centering around Aono and Koyori. It's good that they do not forget the side characters, but it makes me wonder how they're going to use the character development between them later on. If they're just gonna leave it hanging there, it will be a negative strike against them in my opinion. Anyway, this one gets another 8, as does all other anime episodes of this type done well.

On another note, it appears that even a reformat and a switch to VLC doesn't completely solve the problems I'm having with the Lunar x264s. Therefore, I'm permanently switching over to their .avis next time. Just thought I'll mention this, since I didn't even have this kind of problem with SS-Eclipse's h264s of Kanon 2006, and it really bugs me that KyoAni-level kami-sakuga quality anime doesn't lag on my computer, while the average sakuga level of Nomad does.

And a question; is there a reason why I keep seeing "J.C. Staff" on the credits? From what I can read of the kanji, it appears that they're in charge of rendering the backgrounds or something. Can someone confirm this?
Old 2007-05-06, 00:44   Link #67
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
On another note, it appears that even a reformat and a switch to VLC doesn't completely solve the problems I'm having with the Lunar x264s.
VLC sucks when it comes to softsubs, but as far as I'm concerned, there should be no problem with Lunar's, since it's hard-subbed (unlike Doremi's releases). If you mean you're having trouble on the opening, like me, well you probably should (unless you have CoreAVC, but that's a no-no if you run Linux, like me), the opening is full of speedy camera pans, which can kill framerate pretty quickly.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-05-06, 20:02   Link #68
pirs
Yuki.N is love~

very nice episode! Aono is soooooooo cute!!! <3<3<3
Old 2007-05-21, 17:34   Link #69
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Spoiler:

The plot advancement was non-existant in this episode really, but that wasn't the point this time, the point was character relationship development. I enjoyed how they continued off from the Matsuri/Mana relationship that has been developing from episode 3, and I also enjoyed the Koyori/Aono bit that was carried almost solely by Koyori (Who I must admit is now my favourite character. Impossibly Cutesy Loli With A Heart Of Gold). The Maria/Richter parts were kind of pointless though and they never really went anywhere with Matsuri or her apparent doll fetish. Two nitpicks are that the Koyori being hospitalized plot point came out of left field as they made no effor to make this apparent in the first 3 episodes that I saw, and that they had the opportunity to go somewhere with Matsuri and her doll thing, but didn't do it. Also, despite the fact that Aono smiled in this episode, she is still unbelievably dry and boring as a character. I think I will give this one a Seven Out of Ten.

One of the better character development episodes of the season, but has some pacing and plot point introduction issues.
Closed Thread