AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-23, 18:25   Link #1481
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

So, what will all the talk of ways to improve the contest, I'm wondering why they used a forum posting method in the first place, as there were rules against posting cumulative countings, and this whole fake vote issue certainly can't be new.

Why not just a simple standard web form, something like:

Code:
 Image 1      Image 2

Name 1 (JP)  Name 2 (JP)
Name 1 (EN)  Name 2 (EN)

[x]          [x]

[Paste confirmation code]

[[submit]]

Then keep the discussion/ascii art/etc thread separate. The back end can filter out fake vote attempts automatically, of course. Any influence on people's choice would then be as it should be, based on personal preferences and 'normal' campaigning instead of using psychological tactics to gain votes for the 'underdog' and such.

It would also avoid such strange issues as the different @ symbols being used, or the regular expression parsing of the names with character names in the show title. The main drawback is that there's no ongoing feedback about how well any particular candidate is doing. While that's counter to the purpose for using this (getting rid of the whole fake vote issue), I suppose there's also considerations for motivating people to be interested in the first place.

Anyway, just a thought.
Old 2006-10-23, 18:40   Link #1482
nathanbp

If they'd use a normal web form, there's no reason why they couldn't keep an up to date graph of the current vote count, either. Plus they could verify that codes were being used from the same IP address that got them.

With Yuki gone, I guess I won't be getting my Yuki vs. Chikaru final. Now hoping for Shana vs. Chikaru, but predicting Suiseiseki vs. Fate, like everyone else. Maybe we'll be surprised.
Old 2006-10-23, 18:50   Link #1483
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

I envision something where the prelim would be held on 4ch. After the contestants are determinded by the melee blood bath we can have the actual vote here in AnimeSuki. The vote system in AS require registration and there is a option of making the voters visible to the public. So everyone will know who voted for who and no fake vote influence. The discussion could be held in AS while the campaing could be done on 4chan.
Old 2006-10-23, 19:02   Link #1484
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
really hope that fate gets through to the final...i dnt really know how popular chikaru is seen as i dnt know much about her but still shes strong enough to defeat rin i think it might be a close one...but if fate loses out on the final battle i think ill lose the will to carry on just like others who have lost yuki

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-10-23, 19:09   Link #1485
Conri

I've been thinking...I understand that combining the semifinal and quarterfinal losers is more "fair," but it takes away the thrill and weight of the quarterfinal matches, especially for the supporters of the losers of the semifinal matches. It will essentially be like they never won the quarterfinal match. This might be a great technique for the beginning of a contest, but anti-climactic or even disappointing for the end.

Say the semifinals go the predictable route...with Shana and Chikaru losing... There's a good chance Yuki will defeat them in the exhibition, so what was the point of their quarterfinal wins and semifinal matches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by animefanrk2k View Post
In any case, I'll be fervently participating in the voting process this time around. I don't want to see any major upsets, after all. XD
Ah, but a world without upsets would be so incredibly boring.

On those notes, I think I'm actually going to refrain from the Oct. 25 match. While I don't think I can vote for Shana in good conscience, I don't feel any real need to support the overdog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana-tan View Post
Riku Harada is not a loli (saimoe2003 champion...) at least that's what someone told me some page back
I had to look her up as I haven't seen D.N. Angel, but she's 14, so still junior high age. It can be borderline depending on the girl... an obvious example being Mikoto (Mai HiME, 14/15yrs.) versus Chizuru (Negima, same age, B/W/H 94/63/89)...both personality AND development are true in this case.

Chikaru is 5th year a.k.a. 2nd year high school, so she's 16 or 17. She would be the first high school student winner, though admittedly I thought Yuki would have been the one stabbing for that honor.

Last edited by Conri; 2006-10-23 at 20:50.
Old 2006-10-23, 21:18   Link #1486
ando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana-tan View Post
somebody can tell me why there's not third place match this year?
One of the reasons is that the 4th place character loses twice; it's sad. The characters in the main tournament should lose equally once except the champion.
Old 2006-10-23, 21:21   Link #1487
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Fate fighting Suiseiseki (D-Day) in final is, as said before, quite like the continuation of an unresolved seed of enmity sewn when Nanoha defeated the dolls during the last Saimoe. It is so very interesting... yet that might not happen, depending on how the wind of fortune blows. None of the contestants can be complacent at this stage since tomorrow and the day after will be no-holds-bars free for all that will look pretty ugly.

Well, doing an exhibition would mean that a great many fans will be returning to fight in an already decided war (right now, the war analogy's just too fitting for me to let go). I would love to see the battle line-up then when the dust settles on 2ch from the first place match.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-10-23, 21:55   Link #1488
Conri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
One of the reasons is that the 4th place character loses twice; it's sad. The characters in the main tournament should lose equally once except the champion.
See, that makes no sense to me. Again, going the predicted route...where Shana and Chikaru would have been guaranteed 3rd or 4th place, now they might fall even lower (5th-8th), depending on how wild the free for all is. In essence, they will very likely be losing twice (or more) anyway.
Old 2006-10-23, 22:30   Link #1489
Pastel
For the Future

When I wake up on the 28th and see Minamoto Chikaru up at the top there, I promise to go out to the nearest store and come out sporting two flashy ribbons.
Old 2006-10-23, 22:39   Link #1490
Once and Current Subber

Riku isn't loli, no. Not far from, but not loli. ;p

Biggest problem with setting up a dedicated server is keeping it up. We already know people don't have any problem running a script-voting attack on 2chan to insert fake votes. Imagine what would happen if they had a hope of hell of taking the server down! A few dedicated fans and a legion of zombie PCs and they could just make voting impossible altogether. It's harder to take down a board as big as 2chan, though.

I think having the vote count anonymous during the day is preferable to having an accurate running total. If you can't be arsed to go vote for your moe regardless of how the current voting is shaping up, it must not be too moe, huh? ;p
Old 2006-10-23, 23:31   Link #1491
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Fate fighting Suiseiseki (D-Day) in final is, as said before, quite like the continuation of an unresolved seed of enmity sewn when Nanoha defeated the dolls during the last Saimoe. It is so very interesting... yet that might not happen, depending on how the wind of fortune blows. None of the contestants can be complacent at this stage since tomorrow and the day after will be no-holds-bars free for all that will look pretty ugly.

Well, doing an exhibition would mean that a great many fans will be returning to fight in an already decided war (right now, the war analogy's just too fitting for me to let go). I would love to see the battle line-up then when the dust settles on 2ch from the first place match.
Condition: All green. Get set.

Drive Ignition. Assault Form Catridge set.

Ahahahah...kidding. Though I'd definitely be rooting for both Fate and Shana to make it (and face each other off), I doubt the Rozen Maiden faction will just idly sit by and let that happen. It is definitely true that none of the four factions: Shana's, Suiseiseki's, Fate's, nor Chikaru's can afford to be complacent in voting.
Old 2006-10-23, 23:51   Link #1492
NissanNut
Mochi Addict

Send a message via AIM to NissanNut
I was looking at the results from last year's tournament since I wanted to know how Fate did. She was in Group B and lost in the first round to none other than a Rozen Maiden... Shinku! Here's the breakdown:

Shinku (Rozen Maiden) - 431
Fate (Nanoha) - 413
Kuromi (Onegai My Melody) - 79

And of course, Shinku defeated Suiseiseki in the Group B final 470-424 and eventually finished in 3rd Place after losing to Nanoha 959-843 and defeating Rei Mii from Zoids Genesis 508-472. All of these were relatively close matches.

What a difference a year makes, as well as how important groupings are. In a sense... amazing.
Old 2006-10-23, 23:55   Link #1493
LCeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanNut View Post
What a difference a year makes, as well as how important groupings are. In a sense... amazing.
The grouping was VERY important. The more I think about it, the more I feel it has too much to do with it.

To Kinny, Ando, or anyone else that knows, were seeds used when the groups were made after the qualifying rounds? Cause I know the contestents were ranked 1-8 in the qualifying rounds, so maybe that was the seed?
Old 2006-10-24, 00:03   Link #1494
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

The only real fair would have been to give each voter 10 votes and let them vote for everyone in draw instead these different seeds and finals and semi-finals. But htne you wouldn't have the fun and tension we have now.
Old 2006-10-24, 00:05   Link #1495
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Yep, and that brings us, ladies and gentlemen, to today.

Less than 12 hours from now, Shana will pit herself against Suiseiseki. This battle as well as the one tomorrow will be intense. Clearly, there's dissatisfaction in even 2ch over Suiseiseki (why else would there be so many behead the desu and desu orbital cannon text pictures?). For Suiseiseki's supporters, this fight might be quite dangerous. If even us, those that are outside of Japan, accused that the matter with fake vote and whatnot have gone too far, just imagine the negative sentiments in 2ch as we speak.

I maintain my view that Fate and Nanoha faction is most fortunate to have been relatively unscathed by this kind of attitude, despite the fact that Nanoha's the incumbent. This good fortune... who knows if by now it has been exhausted or not. At any rate, Chikaru, also one with great fortune is coming up against Fate.

Thus, I quote Machiavelli:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli, in the Prince
War is unavoidable; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.
as
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Einstein, C&C Red Alert
time will tell... sooner or later... time will tell.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-10-24, 00:07   Link #1496
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCeh View Post
The grouping was VERY important. The more I think about it, the more I feel it has too much to do with it.

To Kinny, Ando, or anyone else that knows, were seeds used when the groups were made after the qualifying rounds? Cause I know the contestents were ranked 1-8 in the qualifying rounds, so maybe that was the seed?
I believe someone has already mentioned that grouping were more random than planned, but some seeding probably were used. For some reason, Koreans and Japanese have inexplicable hopes in random process. I tried to get Korean Moe tournament organizers interested in using seed system and was flat out rejected: Random groups are more fun to them. I still believe that it is better for overall enjoyment of the many to use the seeds to make all groups similar in their weights and power. I would also like to see the seed assignments change from round to round in order to better reflect change of people's preference as well as rewarding characters who did well in their group.
Old 2006-10-24, 00:08   Link #1497
animefanrk2k

Send a message via AIM to animefanrk2k Send a message via MSN to animefanrk2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastel View Post
When I wake up on the 28th and see Minamoto Chikaru up at the top there, I promise to go out to the nearest store and come out sporting two flashy ribbons.
I agree with that. I'll do the same if Chikaru wins. XD
Old 2006-10-24, 00:14   Link #1498
Skane
Anime Snark

Ah what the heck. It sounds like fun. I made up my mind. I will be supporting Chikaru in the second semi-finals.

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-24, 00:15   Link #1499
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
The only real fair would have been to give each voter 10 votes and let them vote for everyone in draw instead these different seeds and finals and semi-finals. But htne you wouldn't have the fun and tension we have now.
It may be fair, but it requires each voters to go through hundreds, if not thousands of names. You still need to form groups of manageable numbers, allow top 4 to top 9 characters in each group advance to next round, and repeat this for couple rounds until we have manageable number of characters left. It might be little bit more interesting if you were allowed to give multiple votes to same character.

ex: I would give 5 votes to Yuki, 3 votes to Hitotsubashi Yurie, 1 vote to Eruru, and 1 vote to Mizunashi Akari in this group of 81 character. Some may want to put all 10 votes to one character ( this is putting all your eggs in one basket ), another might want to give 10 characters 1 votes each, thus having more of the characters they like advance to the next round.
Old 2006-10-24, 00:26   Link #1500
NissanNut
Mochi Addict

Send a message via AIM to NissanNut
See what happens when you take on SOS members and actually defeat them? I personally would like to see a repeat of Rozen Maiden/Nanoha final... although with different contestants this time around... but this just doesn't happen all the time! And a Shana movie and season 2 are suppose to be out anyway, so Shana will be in a future Saimoe. But this is history in the making... in the short history of Saimoe. Either way Suiseiseki has my vote the rest of the way. However, if Shana wins... I'm stuck... Shana or Fate (if she wins). Also, this would be at least two years in a row that a lesbian made to at least the quarterfinals. Shizuru made it last year to the quarters. Ok, that's enough from me... for now.