AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-02-12, 07:14   Link #1
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Major lesbian/bisexual character with hidden sexual orientation

I was wondering if there any lesbian/bisexual major character (as in, one of the main character or plays a major role in an anime/manga), that was not introduced along with her sexual orientation. Or to put it in another way, her being lesbian or bisexual won't be the major defining of her character and will not be introduced until later of the story.

Because based on what i understands, while there are lots of yuri characters around, their character most of the time was built based firstly on their sexuality orientation. Unless it's yuri manga/anime in disguise (Utena, Saki and *coughNanohacough*). Of course there is a few exception like Subaru in Bakemonogatari or Rally (*cough*) in Gunsmith Cats, but the number surely are few?

Oh and if possible please do not suggest those within Psycho Lesbian tropes please.
Old 2013-02-12, 08:54   Link #2
kitten320

Aaahhhhh, the last line killed all the fun

I'll still name it though... Mai HiME!

The lesbian character does go crazy at one point but to be honest everyone went crazy at that stage of the series because of what was happening so can't blame her much. Other than that her personality is likable. Though to be honest I loved her psycho side, one of my faves. Its actually what made me like her. Usually yandare like Gasai Yuno annoy the hell out of me but she was handled pretty well.

People have mixed opinion about her but for most part she is loved. I do insist on trying.

Mmmm... Canaan maybe? It was never stated what orientation anyone has but it was giving pretty big yuri vibes.

Sadly can't think of anything else...
Old 2013-02-12, 09:05   Link #3
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Aaahhhhh, the last line killed all the fun

I'll still name it though... Mai HiME!

The lesbian character does go crazy at one point but to be honest everyone went crazy at that stage of the series because of what was happening so can't blame her much. Other than that her personality is likable. Though to be honest I loved her psycho side, one of my faves. Its actually what made me like her. Usually yandare like Gasai Yuno annoy the hell out of me but she was handled pretty well.

People have mixed opinion about her but for most part she is loved. I do insist on trying.

Mmmm... Canaan maybe? It was never stated what orientation anyone has but it was giving pretty big yuri vibes.

Sadly can't think of anything else...
It is hard, isn't it. It seems these characters also tends to appear in older series. Think that girl in Card Captor Sakura is also one, but once again never really read or watch that anime so can't be sure

Did you mean Shizuru btw? I actually watched few first episodes, and then lost internet, and never got around to finish Mai Him series. Also watched Canaan, but yeah in that one it really plays as ambiguous as possible

Edit: now i think about it, the girls in Kashimashi "might" be included here
Old 2013-02-12, 09:11   Link #4
kitten320

Yep, that's her

Well Mai HiME has a slow start and is divided in 2 arcs. Real fun starts in episode 16.

If I don't mistake episode 8 should give a taste of what is to come.
Until then it is more about character introduction.
Old 2013-02-12, 10:17   Link #5
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

The obvious examples would be Shizuru from MH and Juri from SKU, but you know them already. There is also El Cazador de la Bruja's main characters, especially Ellis, but it's one of those series that I love and the others don't, so I'm not sure if I should recommend it.

I'd be interested in seeing such a character too, a good yuri anime is a rare thing, and lesbians outside of a romance context are practically non-existent.
Kleo Scanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 20:12   Link #6
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Madoka, Nanoha and Vividred... or its just the fandom....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 21:46   Link #7
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Shin Sekai yori (warning it goes the other way too ). And I don't really want to spoil anything about besides that .

Medaka Box, it's not really apparent at 1st, but it made sense for her character.

Mawaru Penguindrum, though it might kinda of border on Psycho line, this is written by the same writer as Utena after all and a lot of the characters sanity is pretty questionable at times .

Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon, though it's questionable how "hidden" it is, some people picked up on it early, others not so much. might be considered defining their characters too much though, so not sure about it overall.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 21:49   Link #8
jedinat

Jun in Devilman Lady ends up being bisexual...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 06:19   Link #9
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Madoka, Nanoha and Vividred... or its just the fandom....
Fandom mostly. Normally i would have counted, but i know about their gayness before watch them, so kinda spoil me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Jun in Devilman Lady ends up being bisexual...
I nearly checked this out but God damn internet spoiled the ending...

Good suggestion, but it's just me. I hate bad/tragic ending
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Shin Sekai yori (warning it goes the other way too ). And I don't really want to spoil anything about besides that .

Medaka Box, it's not really apparent at 1st, but it made sense for her character.

Mawaru Penguindrum, though it might kinda of border on Psycho line, this is written by the same writer as Utena after all and a lot of the characters sanity is pretty questionable at times .

Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon, though it's questionable how "hidden" it is, some people picked up on it early, others not so much. might be considered defining their characters too much though, so not sure about it overall.
Should start finishing Shin Sekai yori then... But Medaka Box? Who? Wait don't spoil me. Anime may be a long way, so can you suggest me which manga chapter to start reading?

Watched Mawaru Penguindrum and Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon. Honestly i will say Yuri's character was not actually introduced until she shows her obsession/sexuality so won't call her one. Margot x Marga however was definitely got me. Was a surprised since i thought they will just play "Class S " the whole way. Can't describe them better than wiki do "She and Malga are lovers, which makes the two lesbian witches in open rebellion against the Catholic Church."
Old 2013-02-14, 06:33   Link #10
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

BTw, my gaydar tell me that one of the characters in Binbougami ga! will be in this list sometime in the future. Any comments on that?
Old 2013-02-14, 06:35   Link #11
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Fandom mostly. Normally i would have counted, but i know about their gayness before watch them, so kinda spoil me.
Lucky for you... I was betrayed...!!!! LOls
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 12:42   Link #12
DrSmith

How about Maria Holic?
True, for the viewers it is clear the main character drinks from the bearded cup but she is trying to hide it from her classmates.
DrSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 14:20   Link #13
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Code Geass
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 00:07   Link #14
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Should start finishing Shin Sekai yori then... But Medaka Box? Who? Wait don't spoil me. Anime may be a long way, so can you suggest me which manga chapter to start reading?

Watched Mawaru Penguindrum and Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon. Honestly i will say Yuri's character was not actually introduced until she shows her obsession/sexuality so won't call her one. Margot x Marga however was definitely got me. Was a surprised since i thought they will just play "Class S " the whole way. Can't describe them better than wiki do "She and Malga are lovers, which makes the two lesbian witches in open rebellion against the Catholic Church."
For Medaka Box the anime is only 2 seasons . And if Horizon worked, then I definitely push suggesting Shin Sekai yori.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote