AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-04-19, 18:45   Link #381
mg1942

lol I know many ethnic small/medium businesses that purposely underpay California state tax.

Underpaying CA taxes is the way of life in the Jewelry District in Downtown Los Angeles..... force those Korean, Armenian, Iranian and Jewish to pay CA taxes in full and they will go belly up.

PS: Like I said, underpaying CA taxes is the way of life. I used to work in one of the LARGEST (ethnic-owned) wholesale jewelry in downtown L.A. while I was still in high school. I know it because of my co-worker... he's a CPA accountant! They pay him 6 figures to bean count and... of course... dodge the CA tax.

(of course I will NOT disclose the name of the company...)

Last edited by mg1942; 2009-04-19 at 19:19.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 18:56   Link #382
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluelessly View Post
I was actually misremembering numbers from the edited link (I had the wrong state ). Thanks for the update, I withdraw my earlier comments.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 19:52   Link #383
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluelessly View Post
Nobody even comes close to California's budget gaps. We're accounting for 1/4 of all of the state deficits. We're certainly not 1/4 of the country's population.

Was reading up on the propositions being proposed in the special elections next month. All but one is trying to juggle funds around, and have tomorrow's taxes pay for today's shortages.

When you are paying your monthly bills, do you use next month's income to pay this month's bills? What happens next month then? The people running the State and Federal Government have no business being in a position of power.
Old 2009-04-19, 21:33   Link #384
Shadow Kira01

Obama says Chavez is no threat

If Obama actually manages to secure Cuba as a friendly nation, then the United States will surely expect to see a change in the worldly situation. Russia won't be able to expand their influences or set up missiles over at Cuba using it as an offensive base. With Cuba and Venezuela on the friendly side of the United States, Russia will lose two subordinates and thus, their ambitions of teaming up with China on a military conquest will automatically subdue. For that matter, chances are is that Russia might become friendly with NATO as well. That would be too good a dream come true or perhaps, this is a very one-sided idealistic view.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 21:46   Link #385
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Obama says Chavez is no threat

If Obama actually manages to secure Cuba as a friendly nation, then the United States will surely expect to see a change in the worldly situation. Russia won't be able to expand their influences or set up missiles over at Cuba using it as an offensive base. With Cuba and Venezuela on the friendly side of the United States, Russia will lose two subordinates and thus, their ambitions of teaming up with China on a military conquest will automatically subdue. For that matter, chances are is that Russia might become friendly with NATO as well. That would be too good a dream come true or perhaps, this is a very one-sided idealistic view.
Unfortunately the odds of things going like this are slim and none. The world isn't that friendly.
Old 2009-04-19, 23:28   Link #386
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
California is 42 billion dollars PLUS in the hole, and it's credit is considered GARBAGE. As I said earlier, tax payers and businesses are flooding out of my state to go to places in the South that promote growth.
Being originally FROM Texas (born, raised, most of my family is there or near it) .... :P Good luck to the emigrants, many parts are not what one might call an "advantaged destination". California is definitely the wrong solution on one end of the spectrum but Texas and several of the other southern states are the wrong solution on the other end.
Old 2009-04-19, 23:54   Link #387
solomon

Why you say that Vexx, I mean Texas has great buisness and very low taxes, not to mention respite from the harsh north winters right?
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 00:03   Link #388
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Why you say that Vexx, I mean Texas has great buisness and very low taxes, not to mention respite from the harsh north winters right?
My dad moved to Dallas, TX because of no income tax and saved enough every year from no income tax, to buy lake property there. The company he flew for, also made their base of operations in Dallas because of taxes. They didn't even keep their jets in California for more than a day because of the fees involved here.

I know more people moving to TX and the south, than any other area in the country. Hell everyone I grew up with, has moved away. AZ, Utah, Nevada, TX, etc. I might not be far behind.

To see what I mean about California, google Propositions 1A - 1F. It'll make you sick when you start digging into them and realize what's going on.

Last edited by justinstrife; 2009-04-20 at 00:15.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 00:37   Link #389
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll just say that each person's computation of whats important to them may have different weighting. For me, the computation led away from the South and Texas and we're a lot happier with our quality of life than if we'd stayed. Every time we go back to visit -- that decision gets re-confirmed.
Old 2009-04-20, 15:38   Link #390
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'll just say that each person's computation of whats important to them may have different weighting. For me, the computation led away from the South and Texas and we're a lot happier with our quality of life than if we'd stayed. Every time we go back to visit -- that decision gets re-confirmed.

In the future you might need to get Passport to visit Texas as the current govenor to secceed form the Union.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2009-04-20 at 16:14.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 15:48   Link #391
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah but according to Texas rules, I'm a defacto Ambassador of Texas and my passport is my firearm
Old 2009-04-20, 17:49   Link #392
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
My dad moved to Dallas, TX because of no income tax and saved enough every year from no income tax, to buy lake property there. The company he flew for, also made their base of operations in Dallas because of taxes. They didn't even keep their jets in California for more than a day because of the fees involved here.

I know more people moving to TX and the south, than any other area in the country. Hell everyone I grew up with, has moved away. AZ, Utah, Nevada, TX, etc. I might not be far behind.

To see what I mean about California, google Propositions 1A - 1F. It'll make you sick when you start digging into them and realize what's going on.
theres another reason why these big companies go else where instead of business centers like ca, or NY, those areas especially large metroploitan areas cost a lot to establish you HQ, plus many of these other states that you have mentioned offer incentives to get companies to get them here, just look at NC. we have RTP and charlotte, and god knows how many pharma companies, these are all here do to state driven incentives to get these companies out here, on top of the cheap land, and highly educated population. These places offer other incentives then just tax breaks, each state wants it job count to grow, and the then to tax the revenue someway, some states use sales tax, others use income tax, just look at florida, no sales tax.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 21:48   Link #393
justinstrife

California sales tax is now over 9% as a whole, and in some cities, over 10%. Whatever other taxes the other states might tack on their populace, is chump change compared to the likes of California, Michigan, New York, etc.

Just look at the job situation. Surprise surprise, the majority of top 10 cities listed on Forbes, are exactly what I've been saying.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Econo...7183746&page=1

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/14/bes...hisSpeed=30000

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/13/bes...artner=abcnews

The facts speak for themselves. Create a business and community friendly environment, and the people will come.
Old 2009-04-20, 22:25   Link #394
Nosauz

doesn't mean people don't flock to california, at least for researchers, i know a lot have flocked to stanford, ucla, uc berkley, not to mention the fact that employers come in many different and shapes and sizes.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 22:46   Link #395
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That is Forbes.... naturally the "top 10" will be selected for criteria important to Forbes. They won't be factoring in:
-educational access and quality
-air/water/environment
-children friendly infrastructure
-transportation infrastructure
-weather and local flora/fauna

I've been to and/or lived in several of the cities on the list... o.O

Obviously California is broken.... but it has a collective governing and entrenched interests disaster. I keep rooting for the Governator because I think he's got the right ideas but he's fighting the idiocracy.

And I'm not trying to talk anyone out of moving anywhere they want -- only pointing out that one should examine the destination pretty thoroughly and not just base it on a handful of criteria.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-04-20 at 23:21.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 01:04   Link #396
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
doesn't mean people don't flock to california, at least for researchers, i know a lot have flocked to stanford, ucla, uc berkley, not to mention the fact that employers come in many different and shapes and sizes.
The private sector has been leaving California for at least 10+ years. You're still going to have Government and Education jobs, but the rest...

Vexx: Education in California is some of the worst in the nation and we've had hospitals shutting down. You should see the Emergency Rooms filled with people of 'questionable' citizenship with colds and flus clogging up our Health System. I had to be wheeled in back in 2002 with the risk of losing my right leg, and it still took them over an hour to get to me. Nobody there spoke English, and nobody there was wheeled in or carted in.

Tags
united_states