Notices

Old 2015-04-12, 09:15   Link #81
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

when you thought Owari no Seraph's and Fate Stay NIght's Op was good

This was just like Wow
Old 2015-04-12, 09:28   Link #82
kuromitsu

The OP is good, but the ending is the awesomest.

By the way, I'm a bit surprised at how little talk there is about this show. I would've never expected it to become an overlooked gem, but it certainly seems to be heading that way...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 11:47   Link #83
James Rye

Those pizza scenes were great. XDDD
All in all I really liked this episode, it was freaky, it was fast-paced, it was bombastic and our MC was darn cool when he needed to be. Plus that ED was just fantastic to watch, all them dance moves. XD
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 15:14   Link #84
konart

Music choices in the anime... speechless. Even for the preview.
Old 2015-04-12, 15:22   Link #85
Wandering Soul

OP was good. Lol at the way Zapp kept on bullying Leo when he was trying to deliver pizzas. In the end it seems like Libra is starting to realize what an assset Leo is to the group.
Old 2015-04-12, 16:05   Link #86
Esclair

I feel like some pizza today, damn you ZAPP!
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 17:26   Link #87
Mubyoshi

Lol, looks like Shinpachi has just found Kagura, hopefully Gintoki makes it to the party, even Hijikata's already there!
Mubyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 19:27   Link #88
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
The OP is good, but the ending is the awesomest.

By the way, I'm a bit surprised at how little talk there is about this show. I would've never expected it to become an overlooked gem, but it certainly seems to be heading that way...
The ED is indeed fantastic (Unison Square Garden nail it again). And I love Kekkai Sensen generally - unbelievably brash and stylish. But who's the intended audience - Gainax nostalgia buffs? Nightow fans? Are there many of those in the mainstream anime audience these days?

I love seeing these retro shows that have the chops to pull it off - Arslan, Kekkai Sensen, Punchline, maybe even Mikagura. But they tend to flop commercially (at least in terms of disc sales - Arslan will do its job for the manga). I think they keep getting made because there are still creatives in the industry who love shows like that, but I'll always be surprised if any of them become hits or even generate a lot of discussion.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 21:26   Link #89
Magewolf

This is a great show so far. I really hope it does find an audience because of all the obvious work they have put into it and because I would love to see more shows like it.

The pizza segment was funnier then the whole season combined of most of the comedy anime we have had in the last few years. Just thinking about it makes me chuckle. And it has wonderful action as well.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 23:13   Link #90
Psyco Diver

Good second episode, I think I will be hooked onto this show, lots of fun potential
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 23:18   Link #91
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
So Leonard's offensive ability is to make people trip balls?
I think he gave them a glimpse of what it's like to see things with those God Eyes, which made them all nauseous because they weren't used to it.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 08:20   Link #92
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The ED is indeed fantastic (Unison Square Garden nail it again). And I love Kekkai Sensen generally - unbelievably brash and stylish. But who's the intended audience - Gainax nostalgia buffs? Nightow fans? Are there many of those in the mainstream anime audience these days?
I don't think this one has a particularly targeted, er, target demographics. I imagine that, aside of fans of the manga itself, the show is targeted at anyone who happens to be watching anime in that particular time, and/or was interested in seeing weirdo characters battle monsters and such in a weird version of New York. Clearly it has a bit of an old-school feel to it, but it's not necessarily tied to a certain creator or studio - me, I've never been a fan of Gainax, and I didn't make a connection between this show and Gainax. To me it has the same "feel" as say, Bebop or Trigun (duh), a bit of Baccano though it's probably mainly because of the setting, a bit of Gungrave, again for obvious reasons... these kinds of shows. Or the better episodes of Space Dandy. This kind of style and swagger is not something you see often in modern shows, but because of that it can be appealing for those looking for something "unusual" and cool with a lot of personality, and the characters are quirky and attractive enough to be appealing even on their own.

I haven't checked yet how it's being received in Japan - I imagine many people like it, but I'm sure it's not getting much love at 2ch right now (an anime based on a not hugely popular manga with an old-school-ish art style, with an original character right from the start, from the female director of Kyousougiga? this might as well be a death sentence) but I wonder if that will change in a few episodes when the loudest trolls have moved on. I'm fairly sure it won't be a commercial success, but it can develop a niche but loyal following... (Kind of like Nobunaga Concerto where pretty much everyone was "bleh, what the hell is this" at the start, but by the end it was like a fountain of love for the show.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 09:57   Link #93
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I would be more than happy if this was a cult hit, have no hope of mainstream commercial success. But it seems to me that this is a show that's tailor-made to do well with a Western (especially American) anime audience, and BONES is certainly more progressive than most of their peers is pursuing that audience. Hopefully that will help minimize their losses on this project.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 10:07   Link #94
Sagitta Luminis
Yousoro~

More things happened in this first episode than some animes' entire 12.
Old 2015-04-13, 10:37   Link #95
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

God, how long do I have to wait for the OST? I want it noooowwwwwwww.

Quote:
Lol, looks like Shinpachi has just found Kagura, hopefully Gintoki makes it to the party, even Hijikata's already there!
Don't forget about Zur...Katsura! He's here too
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 11:29   Link #96
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
from the female director of Kyousougiga?
I knew there was something familiar about those shot compositions! OK, I'll give this another shot since Kyousougiga was good. But yeah, the battle manga aspect is really offputting so far.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 11:47   Link #97
Jarmel

In terms of preorders, Kekkai is doing exceptionally well. It's going to sell well barring any serious screw ups down the road.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 13:43   Link #98
Iron Maw
Banned

ep 2

Well this episode was fun, but I can't help but shake the feeling that I should be enjoying the show than this since it does have a lot of aspects that I like (urban fantasy, eccentric characters, odd powers etc). It just feels like it's trying much harder to be "cool and hip" more than it actually is. I also didn't find Zapp scenes very funny either mainly because Zapp himself way more annoying than humorous. I am interested in White, so hopefully she provide me with a stronger hook to say around.

OP and ED is pretty ace tho. :O
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 13:55   Link #99
Draco Spirit

Judging by the ending theme, it seem the cast list is going be pretty big by the end of the show. So I wonder if it going to lean towards character based mini arcs?

On another note, the music is definitely growing on me. Easily the most distinctive stuff I've heard this session (which is been a bit weak on the musical front).
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-13, 14:47   Link #100
desrtsku
Nympholept

I'm still not sure whether Leonardo truly is a siscon or not but either way that was a really good episode.
Now, concerning his eyes, I find it really interesting how he not only can see through anything but can also "share" what he sees. I wonder if he ever tried using that ability for the benefit of his sister. For starters, he sent her a letter at the start of ep 1 when she supposedly have lost her sight. (or am I misunderstanding something?)

Also, 10/10 ed.

Tags
action, supernatural