AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-12-18, 07:48   Link #1
Satomi87
Banned

Angry Overrated games!

I hate to make another negative thread but I already used the search engine and I don't find any similar thread and so I decided to make one. I know most people here rather to stay quiet about something they hates but I tried my best to avoid using the word "hate" in this topic. "Overrated" doesn't always mean "hate". It just don't deserve the praises and ratings as they should. It also doesn't mean "disappointing" either.

I think the most overrated game I ever played is Tales of the Abyss for PS2. Its biggest hypes are Kosuke Fujishima returned as character designer and the battles will be in 3D again, just like the highly acclaimed Tales of Symphonia in Gamecube. At same time many fans of Tales games were disappointed with the first Tales game on PS2 ever brought outside Japan, Tales of Legendia, a Tales game which did not have Fujishima as character designer and the battles are in 2D. It got so many flaks from fans and critics because of these two changes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-Legendia and anti-Abyss but just I found that Legendia was not as bad as people said and Abyss was not as good as people said.

While its graphics still pretty impressive in PS2 standards but I think I like the Legendia little bit better. Controls are decent too but I prefer Legendia because I don't have to use the analog sticks too often as its battles are in 2D instead of 3D. It is undeniably that Abyss have better storyline than Legendia but I think Abyss should surpassed all other aspects to gain that praises.

I know nothing in this world is perfect but I just to say that Abyss was not as good as people said and Legendia is not as bad as people said. Comparing both is much like comparing orange and apple. I also aware that this thread may based on bias but I tried to be optimistic as possible.
Satomi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 08:18   Link #2
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Bayonnete and many other games that depend on eye candy for more Sells.
Old 2009-12-18, 09:25   Link #3
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Bayonnete and many other games that depend on eye candy for more Sells.
Have you played Bayonetta yourself?

It has the greatest gameplay in the entire history of action games.

It has more epic 'quick time events' than God of War, difficulty that's actually fun instead of frustrating like Ninja Gaiden, more combos that even Devil May Cry. There are no action games out there with a weapon system as complex and customisable as Bayonetta's. Its a combination of everything good that ever happened to action games done right.

How the game looks is just extra service, it can sell with just gameplay alone. People are actually looking forward to seeing the next Devil May Cry with gameplay developed from Bayonetta's, we don't need to see all the female fanservice.

Does the game depend on eye candy? No definitely not. But Bayonetta's over the top service just makes what is great even greater.

If anything, I believe its the only game that truly deserves Famitsu's 40/40 score.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 09:29   Link #4
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Unfortunately I think I have to agree with the majority in regards to those Tales games. I don't mind the character designs or the 2D battle system of Legendia, but there's quite a few other factors that made it less than great for me:

1) Too many "stupid" characters with "stupid" humor (3 completely moronic party members and a 4th who does nothing but crack jokes about how stupid one of them is, the heavily muscled 20-something guy constantly being referred to as the grandpa of the team, etc.). Being exposed to it constantly made it harder to take the plot seriously.

2) Incredibly generic villains (for the first half at least) who had no real motivation other than just being jerks and felt like they could come out of a Saturday morning cartoon.

3) Several glaring Idiot Ball moments for multiple characters that I won't mention here due to spoilers.

4) Mage characters being completely useless as anything but healers due to low damage, high cast time, and very stupid AI.

5) Poor production values in the English localization - I know the reason why the entire second half of the game wasn't voiced but it doesn't really change my opinion of it.

6) Shirley.

Anyway, I know I'm likely to get roasted for this but the most overrated game for me is without a doubt Ocarina of Time. I'm constantly seeing people list it as the best game ever and for me it doesn't even come close. I had a lot of fun with it, beat it and thought "well, that was a pretty great game", and then never had any desire to play it again. I just see it as a really good 3D adventure game, not the amazing unforgettable experience that a lot of people consider it to be. Even if it was the first or one of the first of its kind, that doesn't automatically make it the best.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 10:08   Link #5
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
How the game looks is just extra service, it can sell with just gameplay alone. People are actually looking forward to seeing the next Devil May Cry with gameplay developed from Bayonetta's, we don't need to see all the female fanservice.

Does the game depend on eye candy? No definitely not. But Bayonetta's over the top service just makes what is great even greater.

If anything, I believe its the only game that truly deserves Famitsu's 40/40 score.
Some people don't have sense of humor, don't mind them.
And no common sense, either.

I will stay quiet about this subject. There is no point in this, really. I find that people often mistake about "I don't like the game as everyone" and "it doesn't deserve the praise". I'm not sure that I'm not like that, so it's always best to state my opinion about what I don't like, instead of claiming something is bad/overrated.

Btw, I also notice that people who insult the game with the line "game that depends on eyes candy to sell" are people who only concentrate on the eyes candy of the game.
Old 2009-12-18, 10:20   Link #6
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

If we're talking about underrated, I think I'm going to have one or two arguments about Tales of Legendia..after Character quest, I think this is one of the Tales games that you need to play (if you're into the story). But I'm not going into that. Let's just say...I prefer Legendia story compared to Abyss, but I prefer Abyss' world concept and terms than Legendia.

I think one of the most popular for overrated game is FF XII...at least in my country. Many of them worship it and said that it was good game and stuffs like that. But I think it's still inferior compared to other FF games. I don't know if I'm going to compare it with X-2, but X-2 battle system is better than XII IMO.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 11:28   Link #7
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
I think one of the most popular for overrated game is FF XII...at least in my country. Many of them worship it and said that it was good game and stuffs like that. But I think it's still inferior compared to other FF games. I don't know if I'm going to compare it with X-2, but X-2 battle system is better than XII IMO.
Isn't it the other way around? I always hear people bad mouth about FFXII instead, even on the internet. Most of the time, people are not praising it, but defending it.

On its own, it's a good game, though.
Old 2009-12-18, 12:05   Link #8
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Have you played Bayonetta yourself?

It has the greatest gameplay in the entire history of action games.

Did i say it was bad? You think its great, Thats GREAT! I think GOD HAND is the best actiong game... I'm sure you haven't played it or don't like it but heeey.. thats your Opnion, I just belive its overrated. not because of the fanservice but it does give it that extra boost. specialy that retarded leg spread move... if a game has something like that in it, I won't play it for that one reason.

that and she seriously looks like someone i know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post

Btw, I also notice that people who insult the game with the line "game that depends on eyes candy to sell" are people who only concentrate on the eyes candy of the game.
you know what I noticed? That you noticed wrong.. there are hundred of games that depend on 100% of its sells on eye candy, such as Dead or alive beach vollyball, Rumble roses, any game that has more cleavage than gameplay/story
Old 2009-12-18, 12:17   Link #9
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Isn't it the other way around? I always hear people bad mouth about FFXII instead, even on the internet. Most of the time, people are not praising it, but defending it.

On its own, it's a good game, though.
On the internet, but not in the area that I live in You know, I was surprised when I found out that the internet also shares the same view as I do. Not including those trolls though...

Well, I don't know if I could call it overrated when it's only in my area (or country) that I lived in instead of global view, but in a way, it's still overrated right ?

What about KH series ? What do you guys think about that ?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 12:40   Link #10
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
On the internet, but not in the area that I live in You know, I was surprised when I found out that the internet also shares the same view as I do. Not including those trolls though...

Well, I don't know if I could call it overrated when it's only in my area (or country) that I lived in instead of global view, but in a way, it's still overrated right ?

What about KH series ? What do you guys think about that ?
I don't think Kingdom hearts is overrated. it might be to some people cuz of the Final fantasy characters.
Old 2009-12-18, 13:23   Link #11
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

every popular games in existent, hows that?

when a game gets too much hype, and more often than not, it it will ends up not meeting expectations, so you will feel as the game is overhyped.

p.s. I love lummines and there is not much hype on it.
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 14:06   Link #12
Statonxyb
hrm

Bayonetta is overrated, and yes I've played it.

Fallout 3 is also overrated.

I'm also still laughing at when Adam Sessler gave Fable 2 a GotY award.
Old 2009-12-18, 14:08   Link #13
tkdtiger

i personally think halo is overrated, but that's just my opinion...my nephews love it though lol another overrated game imo is the grandtheft auto...i just think the game is boring, although the story is good I just don't think it's implemented well. there are other games I think are overrated, but I think these two sticks out the most for me...of course this is all opinionated
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 15:00   Link #14
ShapetheSky

Final Fantasy VII...it's very good, but it's not the genre-breaking masterpiece that it's said to be. Most of the hype stems from people who played it as their first RPG or first Final Fantasy.
Ah and Dragon Quest. Every single one. @_@
ShapetheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 16:38   Link #15
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

• Final Fantasy VII. Competent RPG, but really not as awesome as everyone makes it out to be.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It has very good gameplay design, a neat day and night cycle, but the story and world was lacking, in my opinion. It's not as great as everyone makes it out to be.
  • Super Smash Bros. Fun party game, but if it didn't have popular franchise characters, people would have lost interest quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapetheSky
Ah and Dragon Quest. Every single one. @_@
All of them? I don't think so. Dragon Quest IV and V are to this day still quite innovative, and I don't hear people praising them often.
Old 2009-12-18, 17:07   Link #16
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statonxyb View Post
Bayonetta is overrated, and yes I've played it.

Fallout 3 is also overrated.

I'm also still laughing at when Adam Sessler gave Fable 2 a GotY award.
Fallout 3 was overrated because of its predicecors (I cant spell lol) it was a good game, just not Fallout 2 good... sadly.. I hope Las Vegas will be good.

Fable 2, omg that was SOooooooooooooooooooooo Overrated (still like it tho) but after playin it, I told my self "I rather play #1 again than replay"
Old 2009-12-18, 17:23   Link #17
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It has very good gameplay design, a neat day and night cycle, but the story and world was lacking, in my opinion. It's not as great as everyone makes it out to be.
Hold your tongue cut it out of your mouth then stamp on it!

I dont know why OoT was so great but it just was IMO, no Zelda game I have played has ever beat it, Twilight Princess came daringly close but no cigar. I have replayed it so many times and it does not bore me, its a really good game, but I cant describe what makes it good.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 19:29   Link #18
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Fallout 3 was overrated because of its predicecors (I cant spell lol) it was a good game, just not Fallout 2 good... sadly.. I hope Las Vegas will be good.

Fable 2, omg that was SOooooooooooooooooooooo Overrated (still like it tho) but after playin it, I told my self "I rather play #1 again than replay"
lol i agree it was good but i expected more...i liked the first better especially when i read different books to the children...i always try to read them the worst books the reaction you get were hilarious...
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 20:51   Link #19
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Fallout 3 was Oblivion after the apocalypse. And as much as I liked Oblivion, it too was pretty over hyped. Once I realised there was basically no point to leveling up the game kinda lost it's luster.

I'm a sucker for games with good stories, although we've been spoilt by great graphics recently so its hard to go back and play those games with the awesome stories at times. I detest that I can finish a game in 2-6 hours these days, need more that last 12 min. (I concede Portal though, that was fun)

Potentially overrated games, Bioshock 2 (the original was great, but it will probably suffer Sequelitis), Star Wars: The Old Republic, Star Trek: Online.. one or two other single player games that escape me at the moment! Oh yes, Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2, I'm looking forward to them don't get me wrong but I think the shrines some no doubt have to them are probably jumping the gun. (Dare I say that Starcraft 1 and Diablo 2 have become vastly overrated in time?)
Old 2009-12-18, 21:45   Link #20
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

nope DIablo 2 is and always will be a great game, even after Diablo 3.

and Fallout 3 failed because Oblivions makers made it, if it was made by the Original team, it would have shot every other open world game out of the water.