AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2013-09-01, 12:29   Link #1
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

One Piece: Kaizoku Musou (Pirate Warriors) 2 [PS3]

So… The long awaited (to me) sequel to One Piece: Pirate Warriors is finally here. And I have to say, it's pretty amazing.

The story is completely original and non-canon, but I have to say the story is pretty weak. Not only does it contradict everything that has been established in canon, but the storyline itself just isn't very strong. Thankfully, the storyline isn't the game's biggest selling point.

I'm not usually into Musou Style games, but I enjoy One Piece, and this game gives a nice spin on the genre. Several things have been changed since the last game. The ones that stand out to me:

Character Roster: It's HUGE (compared to the last game and considering this is One Piece), there's over 30 playable characters this time. Including all of the characters from the previous game, and several fan favorites such as Marco, Smoker, Law, and Eneru.

Stages: Only Musou stages. I'm kind of sorry to see the action stages go this time, but the Musou stages themselves have been improved to be a lot more dynamic than last time. The story mode this time doesn't follow just Luffy, but also his crew and allies. In each stage you can send out anyone who is currently in your group. Character level isn't as important, since you can use Beli to quickly level up everyone.

Movesets and Specials: Are mostly the same. Of course the existing characters have been tweaked, and changed to their New World counterparts. One thing to note that all the Specials this time are all wide ranged attacks. Mode changes are now under their own button and is called Style Action, every character has one, such as Luffy's Gear 2nd, and Logia users turning into full element mode. While there are some individual differences, in general it makes you harder (or impossible) to hit and changes your move set or adds a few new moves. Opponents can use Style Action as well, and using your own Style Action will allow you to hit them normally.

Crew Strike: Has been changed. You no longer need to find someone in the field to link up with. You choose your Crew Strike partner before you head into battle. You fill up the Crew Gauge by killing enemies while in Style Action mode, after which you can use a Special and switch places with your Crew Strike partner, who will temporarily fight in your place using their own Style Action mode. You can also level up your Crew Strike partners to make Crew Strike last longer, enhance Crew Strike's damage, and obtain some other rewards.

Coins and Skills: Is similar but also different. The coins are a bit easier to obtain this time round. Duplicate coins you find add a "Star" to the existing coin, making it more effective. You also don't have to choose between stat boosts or special skills. Skills are unlocked by collecting certain combinations of coins, but are equipped separately. Coins still have relationships for one another which raises both coins' effectiveness if you place them next to each other. Finally, a coin's effectiveness is raised even more if you place it in a slot corresponding to its attribute (attack, life and defense).

All and all, it's a simple game with a very low-key story, but of the characters I've played so far, I don't really hate any of them. All of them are fun to play as, and most of them have their unique quirks to make them different from each other. For example, Luffy is very mobile and his attacks hit a wide area, whereas Nami has weaker attacks, but most of them create clouds as a setup to use her powerful Thunderbolt Tempo.

7/10, 8/10 if you like OP and/or DW.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 16:46   Link #2
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
I think we had all our prior conversations (or atleast me just talking about the Vita version) in this topic...

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...106609&page=31

It's nice to have an actual topic for it now though~
Old 2013-09-02, 00:45   Link #3
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Well, I asked if a new topic could be made or whether I had to revive the old one.

Well either way, the game wasn't out back then, and it is now.

Which reminds me of something I haven't mentioned. The translation can be pretty sloppy at times. I mean sloppy enough for people who don't know a single word of Japanese to still be able to point out the mistakes.

One that bothers me is that they seem to translate the word "Nakama" to "Crew", which isn't wrong in and of its own, but sometimes it causes the word to be pulled out of context. Like, for example, anyone can say "Ore no nakama", but not everyone can say "My crew" (which they do in the translation).

Then there's the more obvious grammatical mistakes.

Thankfully, the game isn't very story driven.
Old 2013-09-03, 23:01   Link #4
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Well... considering I've already 100% Platinumed the Vita version mooooonths ago... I already expect it to be a good game gameplay-wise... story-wise... we'll see... currently downloading it now.... however... as I've been hearing, this game might have one of the sloppiest translations out there...

"I will be come the Pirate King!" Luffy
"In the name of your justice, I'll stop you." Smoker to Luffy
"My men have gone all screw" Nami on the Evil Strawhats
"One the battle has begin.... I won't run, and I won't let you away." Ace
"I am the Old Man's enemy! I am Teach! And I will destroy you!" Ace to Whitebeard
"Okay! Let's go our crews!" Luffy
"Old Man Ace seems to like him." Marco
"Apparantly we need to defeat his really body" Jinbei on Perona
Shanks is referred to as Redbeard afew times.
Most translations of "nakama" have been turned to "mateys"...

O-Oh... this'll be painful...

Last edited by SOGESNAKE; 2013-09-04 at 15:16.
SOGESNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 15:30   Link #5
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

If ONLY they were translated as "mateys". It's worse than that really. As for the Old Man's enemy, that was... Just the baddest thing I've ever seen.
Old 2013-09-04, 17:20   Link #6
marvelB

I still find it a darn shame that the Vita version wasn't localized. I'd totally have bought a localized version for it, awful translations be damned. In fact, those bad translations kinda bring to mind the days of yore when those old OP chapter scans brought us such classic mangled names like S.S. Forward, Masaru D. Chocheh, and of course, the unforgettable Binamy the Dachshund.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 20:32   Link #7
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I do believe I mentioned I've been enjoying th hell out of the game regardless of the messy translation.

I just completed the story. There's still a handful of characters and crewmembers to unlock.

Playing as Eneru is surprisingly fun.
Old 2013-09-04, 21:06   Link #8
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Only playing the first two missions to test out the game... plan on recording a playthrough for our Youtube channel this Friday, so I'll leave it till then.

From what I remember... the characters I remember being the best are Marco, Kizaru, and Dual-Fruit Blackbeard....
Old 2013-09-05, 02:29   Link #9
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I like Marco but I don't think he's all that great. You can't really mash buttons with him, lest you end up all over the place.
Old 2013-09-05, 03:09   Link #10
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Well... I more or less mean once you learn to use him, and the fact that all his specials HEAL him... it's pretty hard to lose with him...
Old 2013-09-05, 10:31   Link #11
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I prefer someone I can own with right off the bat. Such as Eneru.
Old 2013-09-05, 12:49   Link #12
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I still find it a darn shame that the Vita version wasn't localized. I'd totally have bought a localized version for it, awful translations be damned. In fact, those bad translations kinda bring to mind the days of yore when those old OP chapter scans brought us such classic mangled names like S.S. Forward, Masaru D. Chocheh, and of course, the unforgettable Binamy the Dachshund.
That's funny.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 13:20   Link #13
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Not sure what the S S forward is supposed to be. Or Binamy the Dachshund.
Old 2013-09-05, 17:46   Link #14
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

^ I'm going to assume that "S.S. Forward" was either mis-translated from "Going Merry" or "Thousand Sunny", while "Binamy the Dachshund" was the mis-translated name of "Bellamy the Hyena"...
Old 2013-11-11, 00:55   Link #15
marvelB

^Yeah, you can blame second-hand translations for those messed-up names (they were originally translated from Chinese rather than Japanese, if memory serves me right). And yeah, S.S. Forward refers to Merry. Those translations only lasted as far as early Water 7 if memory serves me right, so luckily the Sunny-go narrowly escaped such an embarrassing fate!

Anyway, the real reason I bumped this thread was because..... I have the game now! Just recently I bought a brand new PS Vita and imported this baby straight away, which arrived over the weekend. And what can I say? I've been having a blast so far! I know a lot of people complain about the Musou/Warriors games due to how repetitive they can be, but I personally just find them so darn addictive.... Anyway, I can't comment on which characters are my favorite so far since I haven't unlocked them all yet (the last people I unlocked at the time of this post are Usopp and Robin), but I'll be sure to address that soon enough. But to be honest, I'm kinda already looking forward to the next game already.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote