AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-05, 16:25   Link #961
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Michael Crichton (1942-2008 )

Quote:

Michael Crichton, the million-selling author who made scientific research terrifying and irresistible in such thrillers as "Jurassic Park," "Timeline" and "The Andromeda Strain," has died of cancer, his family said. Crichton died Tuesday in Los Angeles at age 66 after privately battling cancer.

"Through his books, Michael Crichton served as an inspiration to students of all ages, challenged scientists in many fields, and illuminated the mysteries of the world in a way we could all understand," his family said in a statement. "While the world knew him as a great storyteller that challenged our preconceived notions about the world around us -- and entertained us all while doing so -- his wife Sherri, daughter Taylor, family and friends knew Michael Crichton as a devoted husband, loving father and generous friend who inspired each of us to strive to see the wonders of our world through new eyes."

He was an experimenter and popularizer known for his stories of disaster and systematic breakdown, such as the rampant microbe of "The Andromeda Strain" or the dinosaurs running madly in "Jurassic Park." Many of his books became major Hollywood movies, including "Jurassic Park," "Rising Sun" and "Disclosure." Crichton himself directed and wrote "The Great Train Robbery" and he co-wrote the script for the blockbuster "Twister." In 1994, he created the award-winning TV hospital series "ER." He's even had a dinosaur named for him, Crichton's ankylosaur.

Novels were adapted into films
Quote:

- 1971 The Andromeda Strain
- 1972 Dealing: Or the Berkeley-to-Boston Forty-Brick Lost-Bag Blues
- 1972 The Carey Treatment (A Case of Need)
- 1974 The Terminal Man
- 1993 Rising Sun
- 1993 Jurassic Park
- 1994 Disclosure
- 1995 Congo
- 1997 The Lost World: Jurassic Park
- 1998 Sphere Barry Levinson
- 1999 The 13th Warrior (Eaters of the Dead)
- 2003 Timeline Richard Donner
- 2008 The Andromeda Strain (TV miniseries)

Source : http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...,1192481.story

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2008-11-05 at 16:36.
Old 2008-11-05, 16:33   Link #962
lightbringer
M9000

US Air Force taking lessons from Gundam 00

Not that I want to make light of a tremendously tragic situation (in fact I am quite upset with the US military conduct worldwide overall, starting with the fact that there even are US forces operating outside of the US in non-peacekeeping missions), but it seems that the US forces in the Middle East are taking some inspiration from Season 1 of Gundam 00 and the Trinity team for some of their recent actions. Here's what happened in Afghanistan today:

Quoteth BBC,

Quote:
International forces had been involved in an operation against the Taleban - an air strike was called in but the missile struck a wedding party by mistake, killing as many as 40 people, women and children among them.
Sound familiar, anyone?
Old 2008-11-06, 12:27   Link #963
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
http://www.antiwar.com/orig/cook.php?articleid=13722

The Israeli Supreme Court's approval last week of the building of a Jewish Museum of Tolerance over an ancient Muslim cemetery in Jerusalem is the latest in a series of legal and physical assaults on Islamic holy places since Israel's founding in 1948.
someone want to give another view of this?
Old 2008-11-06, 13:03   Link #964
Liu Shangming

MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) -- Just hours after U.S. President-elect Barack Obama delivered his victory speech, Russia's leader delivered a scathing rebuke of U.S. policy and reminded Obama of some of the major foreign policy challenges he will face in office.

More here:
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/eu...ssia.missiles/

I lol'ed so hard, Medvedev = Schneizel effort anyone?
Old 2008-11-06, 13:29   Link #965
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
someone want to give another view of this?
I don't think there is another view.... there's a faction in Israeli politics that is just as buttheaded annoying as any faction in the Middle East. And the other 80% of the people would like those 20%ers to all just go away so people can get along.
Old 2008-11-06, 13:47   Link #966
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by [LEFT
Vexx
[/left];2038343]I don't think there is another view.... there's a faction in Israeli politics that is just as
buttheaded
annoying as any faction in the Middle East. And the other 80% of the people would like those 20%
ers
to all just go away so people can get along.
the US could gain a lot more credibility in the Mid-East if they start criticizing some of those bone-headed moves guaranteed to fire up the fanatics.
Old 2008-11-06, 23:32   Link #967
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

OH HO!!!! The real story of the Georgian/Russia conflict is starting to bubble up in the US Mainstream Media now.... very interesting for this *after* the election.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/wo...07georgia.html
Old 2008-11-07, 07:47   Link #968
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
OH HO!!!! The real story of the Georgian/Russia conflict is starting to bubble up in the US Mainstream Media now.... very interesting for this *after* the election.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/wo...07georgia.html
I'm pretty sure cnn did mention the little detail that Georgia fired first, online anyway. However, that was quickly forgotten as the spin of "da ebil ruskies iz at its again!!!111" took hold. The facts were reported, but pundits placed all the blame on Russia, and a good number of the American people eagerly drank the kool-aid.
Old 2008-11-07, 11:36   Link #969
Shadow Kira01

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...s&refer=africa

Congo is now in a military crisis just days after the US elections.
Old 2008-11-07, 21:27   Link #970
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7713781.stm

No more crying or figiting brats.
No more groups of teens that have developed amnesia to turn the bloody mobile off.
No more random ass chatting during movies.
No more laser pointing on screens. <3

We already have filters of 12, 15 and 18 anyways, that help, but for some PG movies and esp the broad range of the 12A rating ones, this is a breath of fresh air xD

Maybe now, it'll just be a kinkier place, who knows

speaking of movies:
Quote:
Tekken
Director: Dwight Little
Release Date: 2009
Studio: Dimension Films
Message Boards: Post your comments

Synopsis: Based on the best-selling Namco video games, 'Tekken' is an action movie about a young man who discovers he holds a great power and must battle a team of elite fighters who will stop at nothing in order to get it from him.
The hell? O.o

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2008-11-08, 01:59   Link #971
Autumn Demon
~

Who the hell ever believed the Russians fired first in the war? Everyone who followed that situation knew that the Georgians were waiting for any excuse to go in.
Old 2008-11-08, 02:06   Link #972
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
Who the hell ever believed the Russians fired first in the war? Everyone who followed that situation knew that the Georgians were waiting for any excuse to go in.
I was very suspicious of the mainstream/cable news media when that sideshow occured... They made it look like as if Russia started it.

Did Georgia commit crimes in South Ossetia?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/ne..._ossetia.shtml

Georgia accused of targeting civilians
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7692751.stm
Old 2008-11-08, 02:37   Link #973
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
I'm not quite sure which came first but there were these two acts:
1) John McCain asserted the Georgians were the victims, said "we are all Georgians" and said he'd make the Russians back off.
2) The mainstream news media in the US carried the story from the Georgian propaganda view which matched McCain's view. They didn't seem worried about fact checks.

Meanwhile, several other news agencies elsewhere in the world (e.g. BBC, Indian news sites, German news sites) were reporting a quite different story which jibes more closely with reporting on the ground. Also, several sites had exposed false journalism (fake battle dead photos, etc) from Georgian sources.

If nothing else - this serves as a poster child example of why so many Americans are flipping clueless about the world when they only get their news from the mainstream corporate media.
Old 2008-11-08, 03:35   Link #974
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
I was very suspicious of the mainstream/cable news media when that sideshow occured... They made it look like as if Russia started it.
Actually, Russia did started it. I find it even more suspicious that people think Georgia started a war when their country is being torn in half by heavy military attacks.

Russia fought Georgia with the idea of protecting its civilians from military threat. Even so, the claimed military threat was merely a diversion strategy, because the issue itself is a controversy. Apparently, Georgia was originally a part of the Soviet Union and until very recently, Georgia seeks to join NATO, the former arch-enemy of Soviet Union's Warsaw Pact. In an attempt to prevent a former colony from joining the enemy camp, Russia did a pre-emptive attack and easily defeated Georgia, causing tons of people to run in fear, dead and even homes burned down to ruins. However, Georgia isn't the only country in the world that needs the help of the United Nation, there are many other nations on the list.
Old 2008-11-08, 05:59   Link #975
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Actually, Russia did started it. I find it even more suspicious that people think Georgia started a war when their country is being torn in half by heavy military attacks.

Russia fought Georgia with the idea of protecting its civilians from military threat. Even so, the claimed military threat was merely a diversion strategy, because the issue itself is a controversy. Apparently, Georgia was originally a part of the Soviet Union and until very recently, Georgia seeks to join NATO, the former arch-enemy of Soviet Union's Warsaw Pact. In an attempt to prevent a former colony from joining the enemy camp, Russia did a pre-emptive attack and easily defeated Georgia, causing tons of people to run in fear, dead and even homes burned down to ruins. However, Georgia isn't the only country in the world that needs the help of the United Nation, there are many other nations on the list.
So since Georgia got their ass kicked, they couldn't have started it?

Here's basicly what happened. Russia had peacekeepers in South Ossetia, which is part of Georgia but many people living there want to secceed and join Russia. Tensions between Russia and Georgia over the issue had been building for months with both Russia and Georgia building up their forces in the region. On August 2nd, Georgian forces shelled a village in south Ossetia, killing several people, but invoking no military response from the Russians. Convinced that the lack of response meant Russia was bluffing and would not take action if Georgian forces retook control of the region, Georgia attempted to do just that. The Russians then counterattacked and we all know the rest. (Note that Georgia's intent mentioned is speculation on my part, but it's the only way what they did makes any sense that I can see.)

Was Georgia justified? That's something that can be debated. Russia also clearly went beyond what they needed to do to secure the areas they had peacekeepers in. However, that does not change the fact that Georgia fired first.
Old 2008-11-08, 06:40   Link #976
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7713781.stm

No more crying or figiting brats.
No more groups of teens that have developed amnesia to turn the bloody mobile off.
No more random ass chatting during movies.
No more laser pointing on screens. <3

We already have filters of 12, 15 and 18 anyways, that help, but for some PG movies and esp the broad range of the 12A rating ones, this is a breath of fresh air xD

Maybe now, it'll just be a kinkier place, who knows
LOL. This reminds me of when me and a friend were watching Spiderman 3. A bad movie, but made even worse by the family behind us eating popcorn like there was no tomorow. Don't you just love the sound of mastication? And then there's the fat woman who simply must laugh as loud as humanely possible.
Old 2008-11-08, 19:01   Link #977
Autumn Demon
~

Protests in Taiwan over Chinese envoy visit

Old 2008-11-08, 19:09   Link #978
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post

it has been reported by just about every news agency in the world that georgia fire the first shot. Even the people in georgia doesn't believed that the Russian fire first.
Old 2008-11-08, 21:11   Link #979
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
So since Georgia got their ass kicked, they couldn't have started it?

Here's basicly what happened. Russia had peacekeepers in South Ossetia, which is part of Georgia but many people living there want to secceed and join Russia. Tensions between Russia and Georgia over the issue had been building for months with both Russia and Georgia building up their forces in the region. On August 2nd, Georgian forces shelled a village in south Ossetia, killing several people, but invoking no military response from the Russians. Convinced that the lack of response meant Russia was bluffing and would not take action if Georgian forces retook control of the region, Georgia attempted to do just that. The Russians then counterattacked and we all know the rest. (Note that Georgia's intent mentioned is speculation on my part, but it's the only way what they did makes any sense that I can see.)

Was Georgia justified? That's something that can be debated. Russia also clearly went beyond what they needed to do to secure the areas they had peacekeepers in. However, that does not change the fact that Georgia fired first.
I guess Georgia's actions were unjust. My apologies, I wasn't paying attention to the Russian-Georgian crisis until the point where the Russian prime minister made a remark about crushing anybody who harms their Russian citizens. Not knowing the situation before that point had caused me to misunderstood the crisis as a whole.

All I had know was that Georgia had done some military attacks in South Ossetia, a small village that is filled with mostly Russian patriots and supporters which prompted the Russian counter-attack. The reason why I assumed that Russia started it first was that South Ossetia was doing a mass movement of going pro-Russia which angered the Georgians and made them attack in the first place. The people of South Ossetia held a strong belief that they are part of Russia and thus, the small village should become Russian territory. However, it is debatable as to whether Georgia's military attack on unarmed civilians over their mass movement was okay or not. Surely, it didn't appear okay at all. On the contary, when Russia attacked Georgia, they didn't show any mercy to the Georgians either. So, I guess that makes them even?
Old 2008-11-09, 08:56   Link #980
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Remembering the fallen

In Flanders fields, the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Lt Col John McCrae

Services to commemorate the fallen
Quote:
LONDON (Nov 9, 08): Ceremonies have taken place today across Britain (and the Commonwealth) to remember the servicemen and women who lost their lives in all past and current armed conflicts.

This year's events fell just two days before the 90th anniversary of the armistice at the end of World War I.
"Red Poppy" Day barely retains any significance outside Britain, let alone the Commonwealth, and this trend will probably continue as the final few World War II veterans, who are now in their 80s to 90s, pass gently into the night. I hope that the universal wish for peace will not die with them.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international