AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-08-25, 18:01   Link #21
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Jill of the Jungle, Commander Keen, Warcraft, Wolvenstein, Dune, Gabriel Knight Sins of the fathers

and remembering the reign of Microprose

F15 strike eagle, F117a stealth bomber

...and my all time favorite: Gunship 2000
no other simulater was ever so much fun as this one
Old 2007-08-25, 18:34   Link #22
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Hmm... I remember playing so many older games. I remember playing "Wheel of Fortune," "Cross Country Canada," "Wolfenstein 3D," "Doom," and I remember playing this game that had these little coloured tanks. The graphics were not that great, but they lead many hours of fun.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 07:03   Link #23
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by matradley View Post
and I remember playing this game that had these little coloured tanks. The graphics were not that great, but they lead many hours of fun.

hmm it didn't happen to be a 2 person/1keyboard game where you had to tunnel
through and find the other players tank? Only getting recharged at your base and
if you ran out of energy you exploded?
Old 2007-08-26, 07:27   Link #24
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
hmm it didn't happen to be a 2 person/1keyboard game where you had to tunnel
through and find the other players tank? Only getting recharged at your base and
if you ran out of energy you exploded?
That sounds like it. Oh, I remember now, "Scorched Earth"!
Old 2007-08-26, 08:42   Link #25
Spark

And ski-free was pretty amazing too. I used to play this game all the time when I went to my friend's house. And sometimes you'd get eaten by the snow monster if you got far enough. Good stuff.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 08:43   Link #26
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
does anyone remember Jump Man.. ooh dear God that game was old
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 09:12   Link #27
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I really want to play Quest for Glory IV. I started it but it kept crashing on my computer - from what I saw I loved the atmosphere and the narrator's voice was subperb. It's impressive that such an old game could be so captivating. Unfortunately it would crash randomly, usually during battles, and I didn't have the heart to invest time in something so uncertain.
That may have been one of the best games. Sadly Sierra pushed the game out sooner than the Coles (the creaters of the heroe's quest aka quest for glory series) wanted to and it was released with alot of bugs. They did give out patches, but now the game crashes, because modern computers are just too fast. I also though Quest for Glory 2 was a great game. They are probably my two favorite out of the series. I would have loved to see how Quest for Glory V would have fared if they created that multi-player feature that was originally intended. Sadly I felt the fifth game was probably the worst one, despite having a great sound track. I heard they were in the works of creating a Quest for Glory novel a few years ago, but I'm not sure if it ever came about. One of my favorite games was Leisure Suit Larry. I didn't like the new one so much. I mean the original you actually made different devices for certain functions...i.e. creating a sling shot with a condom

I remember Jumpman...
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 09:35   Link #28
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

I used to play quite a few ^_^

Here's a quick list:

Al Qadim: The Genie's Curse
Lords of the Realm (original)
Wing Commander Series (#3 was my fav)
Heroes of Might and Magic
Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
Warcraft 2
Command and Conquer
Diablo
Epic Extreme Pinball (best pinball game ever!)
Humans

There were a lot more but I can't seem to remember the names.

I also used to play some BBS games (anyone remember those )
Once again my favs were:

Legend of the Red Dragon
Lands of Devastation
Hack N' Slash
Usurper

I'd be pretty surprised if anyone remembers those games. I still remember having to connect on my dad's 28.8k modem to play Hack N' Slash and sometimes the game would be full. haha...good times.

If anyone wants a nostalgia trip, check out a list of these classic games here:
http://www.abandonia.com/index2.php

You might remember some that you thought you forgot forever (I know I did).
Old 2007-08-26, 09:50   Link #29
frustra
Team M.Y.T.Hi.C.

ah.. nostalgia...

i used to play Duke Nukem, Ski-free, Chips Challenge, Jazz Jackrabbit, Raptor, and Prince of Persia
Old 2007-08-26, 10:45   Link #30
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
And ski-free was pretty amazing too. I used to play this game all the time when I went to my friend's house. And sometimes you'd get eaten by the snow monster if you got far enough. Good stuff.
I remember playing that at school with our pumped up Windows 95 machines.
Old 2007-08-26, 13:19   Link #31
tkdtiger

I remember playing Ninja...although it wasn't a DOS game anyone remember archon? Those were classics :P
Old 2007-08-26, 13:32   Link #32
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Sonic, Jazz, a few versions of Bomberman (a lot of multiplayer) Then there's Warcraft, Command and Conquer, Warcraft II which I played with friends like crazy. Then there was Diablo... those are about all the really memorable ones for me.
Old 2007-08-26, 15:34   Link #33
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Barbarian! It was just the coolest thing ever when you chopped a guys head off. "Heeant!"Tho that was Atari ST so maybe not count
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 15:54   Link #34
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Tyrian for me. Nowadays it's free for the taking (I think since 2004). Simply the best side-scrolling ship shooter ever made.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 11:02   Link #35
tkdtiger

I remember playing Golden Axe and Body Blows.
Old 2007-08-27, 16:07   Link #36
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by matradley View Post
That sounds like it. Oh, I remember now, "Scorched Earth"!
Nah I was talking about Tunneler 2.0

But I remembered another classic

4-color, the original Testdrive

"look in the glovebox"

"-Nice job, keep the car. Go home-"
Old 2007-08-27, 17:06   Link #37
Comrade
A fuckin' genius!

I keep reading and I keep feeling worse and worse. So many good games, yet I will never be able to play anyone of them.
Somehow I think that those times were the golden age of computer games. And I would be glad if they would be released for use on the newest computers. I don't care about the graphics or the simple sound effects, It's the story that counts, the idea!!! If it is good enough, then I don't care sh***t about how bad/good the game is visually.
I don't mean that right now there aren't any good games, but how many GOOD games there are really? Total war series are good, Half-Life is nice also, just like few others. But back then there were a lot more games that were ... better (hard to find the right words). Then the games were simple, but the plot behind them could keep me awake for days.
I also think that back then you needed a thing called brains to play these games. Today, because of the increasing number of young players, most games are based on how fast you can push the keys. You just hit the keys without thinking. Also, with the increasing amount of graphic-whores among the players, the developers only focus on making the picture look nicer, everything else is secondary.
I miss the good old days ... And I really hate when I show a good, but old game to another gamer, he just shrugs and says: "Look, how horrible the graphic is, this game is a piece of sh**t! Why should I play it?" At times like those I feel an almost irresistible urge to throw him out of the window.

... Comrade feels much better now ...
Old 2007-08-27, 17:57   Link #38
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Hmm.... my favourite is and always will be Highway Hunter. Has the best memories, and just SO much fun. Hmm.... after that it would have be Commander Keen.
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 18:59   Link #39
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Steam...ID Super Pack
Old 2007-08-27, 20:05   Link #40
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I keep reading and I keep feeling worse and worse. So many good games, yet I will never be able to play anyone of them.
Somehow I think that those times were the golden age of computer games. And I would be glad if they would be released for use on the newest computers. I don't care about the graphics or the simple sound effects, It's the story that counts, the idea!!! If it is good enough, then I don't care sh***t about how bad/good the game is visually.
I don't mean that right now there aren't any good games, but how many GOOD games there are really? Total war series are good, Half-Life is nice also, just like few others. But back then there were a lot more games that were ... better (hard to find the right words). Then the games were simple, but the plot behind them could keep me awake for days.
I also think that back then you needed a thing called brains to play these games. Today, because of the increasing number of young players, most games are based on how fast you can push the keys. You just hit the keys without thinking. Also, with the increasing amount of graphic-whores among the players, the developers only focus on making the picture look nicer, everything else is secondary.
I miss the good old days ... And I really hate when I show a good, but old game to another gamer, he just shrugs and says: "Look, how horrible the graphic is, this game is a piece of sh**t! Why should I play it?" At times like those I feel an almost irresistible urge to throw him out of the window.

... Comrade feels much better now ...
I agree...I remember when someone told me how hard the new splinter cell game was...I beat it in a night...It was easy and there was no thinking involved. The old games though I think made you feel more involved in someways that the new games just cannot do.

Ironically Sierra plans to periodically bring back some of the old adventure games to work on XP