AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-03-14, 17:51   Link #3121
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
I hate "rote memorization" and think it's absolutely useless. I remember a story one of my old professors told me about a friend that they had that made it through medical school because they had a near flawless memory and could remember a ridiculous amount of medical jargon .. but lacked any sort of critical analysis ability. They basically couldn't do their job. I think people need to be taught how to think. Like Philo 100-level courses: Critical Thinking and Logic & Reasoning should be mandatory at the highschool level.
To be fair, I was kind of thinking elementary and middle school. Of course you have to do thinking in high school, how else can you write essays and analyze stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintess
I don't hate rote memorisation because it has its uses and can be fun (I once challenged a friend to memorising pi - he hit 100 digits and I got stuck at 40), but I am quite disgusted that these people are those who often get scholarships or are the top of the class; yet they don't seem to care much about the beauty of the subjects they study and the utility of it. They are the ones destroying our world of science without the propensity to explore deeper.
Eh, that kind of thing happens in the West all the same no matter what you do, it doesn't matter that we weren't ever forced to memorize anything more than the Pythagorean theorem and quadratic formula.

I read a short story once and thought it was interesting. I memorized it and recited it at least a thousand times since then, and now have a far better idea of what every little bit of its content means to me.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 17:59   Link #3122
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Engineering courses are always filled with idiots like them; and they blame the inability to work together when projects fall through.
Ironically, Engineering is about ingenuity

Mah~ I'm not one to talk, but I'm lazy by nature so instead of working hard, I would much prefer to work efficiently.

And so I befriended a ton of China students in each class
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 13:03   Link #3123
Zakoo

Rote memorisation in hard science? Meh dunno my teachers always tell me to not learn something but to be able to demonstrate every non empiric formula... I dont think memorizing an equation or sometime a whole stereotypical exercice makes you a good scientists. But that goes only for my fields which are chemistry and energy, if I remember my first year with biology and genetics lessons i was memorising everything on the fingers.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 13:17   Link #3124
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Rote memorisation in hard science? Meh dunno my teachers always tell me to not learn something but to be able to demonstrate every non empiric formula... I dont think memorizing an equation or sometime a whole stereotypical exercice makes you a good scientists. But that goes only for my fields which are chemistry and energy, if I remember my first year with biology and genetics lessons i was memorising everything on the fingers.
Ironically...my organic chem was pure memorize...thus why I suck at it.

Would rather do life sciences anyway
Old 2013-03-15, 13:56   Link #3125
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I recall my physics professors would count a problem off '3x' its points if you got the order of magnitude wrong. It was a sign to them that you were just punching buttons and not understanding the underlying physics.

In a bit of "wow", the Japanese yen is now 95yen to the USdollar. Almost affordable again.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-03-15 at 14:24.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 16:29   Link #3126
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

This kinda reminded of an Indian movie titled "3 Idiots". It served as a quite powerful motivator for me to be better in my studies back in my last high school days.
Old 2013-03-16, 01:03   Link #3127
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I recall my physics professors would count a problem off '3x' its points if you got the order of magnitude wrong. It was a sign to them that you were just punching buttons and not understanding the underlying physics.

In a bit of "wow", the Japanese yen is now 95yen to the USdollar. Almost affordable again.
I just ordered 400 bucks worth of stuff from amazon.co.jp, due to the exchange rate... only to find out Amazon just jacked prices up on the Japanese side yesterday, about 20% increase across the board.
Old 2013-03-16, 05:25   Link #3128
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I just ordered 400 bucks worth of stuff from amazon.co.jp, due to the exchange rate... only to find out Amazon just jacked prices up on the Japanese side yesterday, about 20% increase across the board.
What did you order that makes it $400 on Amazon. I didn't know books cost that much.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 06:19   Link #3129
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

miniatures, figures, and plastic models.
About 17 of em
Old 2013-03-16, 06:59   Link #3130
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
miniatures, figures, and plastic models.
About 17 of em
With another 20% means you pay another about $100 for them.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-03-16, 17:27   Link #3131
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Dude .. order through HLJ or someone. Amazon is like the worst pricing evar!!
Old 2013-03-17, 00:03   Link #3132
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Speaking of which, how can a foreigner own land or property in Japan?

Old 2013-03-17, 00:08   Link #3133
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Speaking of which, how can a foreigner own land or property in Japan?
Sorry? I don't think they put foreign ownership restrictions in place.. See this:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...214680736.html
Old 2013-03-17, 00:32   Link #3134
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Sorry? I don't think they put foreign ownership restrictions in place.. See this:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...214680736.html
What are the rates like for their land? The percentage differences between the urban, suburban, rural and tourist/port-of-call areas.

Then what about their REITS?

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2013-03-17 at 01:17.
Old 2013-03-17, 02:24   Link #3135
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
What are the rates like for their land? The percentage differences between the urban, suburban, rural and tourist/port-of-call areas.

Then what about their REITS?
You want your own little secret hideout in the Japan countryside is it?
Old 2013-03-17, 02:40   Link #3136
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
You want your own little secret hideout in the Japan countryside is it?
I am planning for my retirement.

Old 2013-03-17, 03:49   Link #3137
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
I am planning for my retirement.
Not bad then...in the years to come can collect quite fair bit of rent too
Old 2013-03-17, 05:12   Link #3138
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Not bad then...in the years to come can collect quite fair bit of rent too
The question is where is the best property.

I was hoping for somewhere near the sea but away from the fault lines. However, most of the areas near the sea are either rural or suburban, meaning which it generates less yield as compared to a purely urban district.

However urban zones often have high costs, so paying off the house itself can be a pain. I am taking advantage of the parity between the yen and other currencies to make investments there; considering the fact that it is impossible to buy a home in Singapore anymore.

Old 2013-03-17, 05:21   Link #3139
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Dude .. order through HLJ or someone. Amazon is like the worst pricing evar!!
On the contrary, HLJ charge like 20~40% more for the Hoi-hoi san models I got (which took up half the order), nor do they have any of the sengoku samurai miniatures.

For example,
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B005GHPH3M

vs

http://hlj.co.jp/product/KBYPP-261

HLJ is asking for almost double.

This PVC isn't what I got though, I ordered a whole bunch of Combat-san ROOKIES model, along with others.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B009SIPFKK/

vs

http://hlj.co.jp/product/KBYKP-191

As you can see, HLJ is significantly higher (especially when I'm ordering a squad of them. )

I also ordered bunch of One Piece Figuarts ZERO figures, which were all cheaper on Amazon.
Not to mention, HLJ doesn't even carry prize toys, such as Grandline Ships Moby Dick.

Had I went with HLJ, not only would have gotten only half of what I ordered, I would have paid another 100 bucks.
Old 2013-03-17, 05:23   Link #3140
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
On the contrary, HLJ charge like 20~40% more for the Hoi-hoi san models I got (which took up half the order), nor do they have any of the sengoku samurai miniatures.

For example,
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B005GHPH3M

vs

http://hlj.co.jp/product/KBYPP-261

HLJ is asking for almost double.
I am quite surprised that you have yet to make it to the sex offender registry owning that kind of stuff.

Ever tried Amiami instead?

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture