AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2014-08-04, 22:45   Link #10181
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I don't see how it could be Nagi without her thinking Hayate was dead or something.
Early in the manga, Mikado stated that to get the inheritance, one had to make Nagi cry. Hayate interfered in that, but I figure that Nagi being forced to cry and mean it is where things could go.

As to Wataru, I agree with Madmac in that it would require getting him back into the story. The last time he was in was less about him, and more about Ruka.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-08, 04:58   Link #10182
pampz21
ShipCore

Anyone know when this will go back to the original plot? Its pretty tiring that A-tan hasnt grown back yet....or rather I want to see 17 y.o A-tan. Sorry for throwing Tantrums.

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-08, 06:32   Link #10183
madmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
Anyone know when this will go back to the original plot? Its pretty tiring that A-tan hasnt grown back yet....or rather I want to see 17 y.o A-tan. Sorry for throwing Tantrums.
I'm not sure I would call Athena the "original plot" given it first cropped up about four years into the manga.

Regardless, a new story arc starts next week and we saw Athena briefly as a 17 year old a little while ago with no indication that she'd be able to transform permanently anytime soon.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-08, 19:00   Link #10184
Lisemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
I'm not sure I would call Athena the "original plot" given it first cropped up about four years into the manga.

Regardless, a new story arc starts next week and we saw Athena briefly as a 17 year old a little while ago with no indication that she'd be able to transform permanently anytime soon.
You could call it the "original plot" since the royal garden appeared in the second page of the manga.
Lisemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-17, 19:21   Link #10185
MCAL

And Hata trolls again.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-17, 19:37   Link #10186
AstroNerdBoy

Yes, and he giggles the entire time he's trolling.

I can understand his issue with a 3D movie in subtitles, but I saw Godzilla in IMAX 3D and it was just amazing.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

Old 2014-08-17, 21:12   Link #10187
ChampDream
Alive

I like how this chapter had the reason I hate watching movies in 3D.
Old 2014-08-17, 22:32   Link #10188
AstroNerdBoy

I will say that the one thing I don't like about Imax 3d (not so much an issue with regular 3D) is that they just wash the glasses and reuse them, so they are often spotted. *_*

Anyway, in 2D or in 3D, Godzilla was a good movie, even if it did tease the audience for about 60% of the film.

While I'm thinking of it, I did find it humorous hearing Japanese people talking about watching a subtitled version of Godzilla. There's just something twisted about that, which causes me to laugh for some reason. (Or I could just be very tired as I wait for my last load of laundry to finish.)

Old 2014-08-19, 17:49   Link #10189
AstroNerdBoy

Sorry for the double post - the manga is taking place in 2004, right?

Old 2014-08-19, 22:05   Link #10190
madmac

It's taking place in a remarkable 2004 where everyone has IPhones and keeps up with the latest games, movies, and anime, yes.
Old 2014-08-20, 20:11   Link #10191
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
It's taking place in a remarkable 2004 where everyone has IPhones and keeps up with the latest games, movies, and anime, yes.
They probably just renamed the year 2004 instead of 2014. They subtracted a 10 somewhere during one of the recent arcs.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-20, 21:10   Link #10192
GDB

Remember, the story started in 2004 and it's slowly moving through said year. While references and items are up to date with current stuff in the real world, the story itself is still set in 2004. They even joked about this in a recent chapter.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-22, 23:43   Link #10193
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Remember, the story started in 2004 and it's slowly moving through said year. While references and items are up to date with current stuff in the real world, the story itself is still set in 2004. They even joked about this in a recent chapter.
At least this is better than Conan which pretends it makes sense.
Old 2014-08-23, 09:04   Link #10194
GDB

Conan uses a Marvel sense of time combined with a Simpsons sense of time. That is, a sliding timeline that agrees to real world changes in seasons and dates, but within the world itself time barely passes.

It helps that almost all of the Black Organization plot used to take place in winter to give a sense of coherency.
Old 2014-08-24, 00:12   Link #10195
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Conan uses a Marvel sense of time combined with a Simpsons sense of time. That is, a sliding timeline that agrees to real world changes in seasons and dates, but within the world itself time barely passes.

It helps that almost all of the Black Organization plot used to take place in winter to give a sense of coherency.
I didn't say I don't like it. It's just that the timeline is still completely screwy and should have accommodated someone growing older or raising in grades.

This series at least does it for comedic purposes, lol, so it just fits.
Old 2014-08-26, 08:00   Link #10196
madmac

462 is great is a completely different way then 461.

I've really been digging the manga over the last year or so. Almost everything from the climax of the mangaka arc on has been really good.

It's a little scary how fast everything is moving, though. I think Hata is serious about trying to end it soon. (And by "soon" I mean the next 2-3 years. There's still a lot for him to work though.)
Old 2014-08-26, 08:58   Link #10197
Mentar
Banned

I'm sorry, but I really have difficulties to follow your optimism that Hata wants to resolve anything anytime soon.

Time and time again, Hata raised an issue, giving us the impression that the resolution of this issue actually really mattered.

- The Hinagiku development up to her intention to confess
- The Athena development up to their splitup
- Nagi's "Love Hina" move out, and "growth"
- The Ruka development up to their splitup
- The "King Jewel" hunt
- The Reconciliation with Hayate's brother

And the funny thing: None of this actually matters at all. Nothing has really changed. Any gradual developments of characters which could be seen _during these respective arcs_ have been fully undone afterwards.

So, I've stopped waiting for any "developments", "resolutions" or even "attempts to end things" and relegated HnG to "joke of the week" format. And lo and behold - it actually allowed me to enjoy things more, even though it forced me to disattach myself from several characters.

It's just the way it is. NOTHING MATTERS.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-26, 09:13   Link #10198
madmac

Eh, we disagree, as always. *shrug*

I'm pretty resigned to the fact that you seem to have a completely different read on the manga then I do.

There's no question that the manga is on it's way to ending though. Not since Hata telegraphed (and confirmed) that the story would end in December and has spent a lot of time in omake's and elsewhere talking about his plans for the ending.

Last edited by madmac; 2014-08-26 at 09:29.
Old 2014-08-26, 09:45   Link #10199
Mentar
Banned

Please don't get me wrong, it's great if you fully enjoy the show and see a proper buildup to a final conclusion ^_^; ... I just don't see it.

Could you give 1-2 examples of what kind of _lasting_ development you see? Lasting as in "this is a significant change from the initial setting which cannot/will not be undone"?

And just for the record: I think that the number of _funny_ chapters has increased over the last year.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-26, 09:51   Link #10200
GDB

If we're just going to get funny chapters, I'd prefer Hata went back to making references and the like instead of just cliche manzai stuff.

Tags
comedy, shounen