AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index LN - New Testament Volume 15 Rating
Perfect 10 17 30.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 29.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.64%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.82%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.64%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-04-25, 03:54   Link #641
Eliah1102

@BladeMancer Kaori wasn't a volume main character while the ones from recent NT like Shinka and True Gremlin were, a better comparison would be Acqua or Carissa or Kakine or Mugino.
Eliah1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 03:57   Link #642
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliah1102 View Post
Anyhow the reason I find the recent volumes to be bad might be because that I dont self insert or that every other LN I read is far better.
Lol I wonder what LN's you read. Your comments are honestly pretty obnoxious. You're supposed to take for granted that some characters in this series are able to do certain things after going through enough sh*t. If you don't like it, then why read this stuff, right? That's his style. It isn't bad. Maybe you just don't like it.

And moreover, your complaints about how things are generic or bad... did you even read the afterword? He hasn't filled in the details is totally different from him not having explanations or reasons for why the girls like him or for why other things are happening. I think that your lack of faith in the author is fine if that's your style. But given how well Kamachi has dealt with stuff in the past, I just feel it's silly at this point to continue reading this if you don't trust his writing style. If he goes out of his way to tell you that this is what he was trying to do, then you either believe him or stop reading the series.

I'm a person who likes shonen and who likes believing in other people, so excuse me if I don't like your attitude. It's honestly arrogant, and while you can have your own way of evaluating novels, don't shove it on others. As long as you believe that certain aspects of the novel make sense and will be explained later, then it's all good. Of course it's going to suck if you're just trying to see why it's bad.

I'm not going to make you think it's good either. You can read and complain about it too. But... don't try to say that you're right. It's just your opinion based on how you read this series. Just as many people as you will probably agree with me and think that this volume was a step forward.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 04:15   Link #643
Eliah1102

@dniv When did I say that I dont like his writing style at all? I even said that NT7-10 were really good and second half of OT is one of my fav, I am just saying the recent volumes were bad. Kamachi is not a LN god whose each and every Volume must be accepted as being good and I am not shoving my opinions down your throat, I am just saying why they are bad and its your wish if you want to beleive it or not. When did I say that I am absolvely right? When did I say that others are wrong? Also why should I stop reading a LN just because some recent volumes were bad, it also had good volumes before that so it means that it can improve, did I say that Index is doomed and it cant regain its former quality of writing?
Old 2016-04-25, 04:18   Link #644
R.LocK
My turn

10/10 volume. Kamisato faction getting wrecked is always 10/10.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 04:29   Link #645
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
@dniv When did I say that I dont like his writing style at all? I even said that NT7-10 were really good and second half of OT is one of my fav, I am just saying the recent volumes were bad. Kamachi is not a LN god whose each and every Volume must be accepted as being good and I am not shoving my opinions down your throat, I am just saying why they are bad and its your wish if you want to beleive it or not. When did I say that I am absolvely right? When did I say that others are wrong? Also why should I stop reading a LN just because some recent volumes were bad, it also had good volumes before that so it means that it can improve, did I say that Index is doomed and it cant regain its former quality of writing?
I think you got to me when you said that every other series you are currently reading is much better. That just sort of pissed me off so I was a bit overly mean there... sorry about that...

But, yeah, please don't be that critical. I honestly don't think his writing has been very weak lately. Or rather, I thought it was weak, but I thought that this volume was very strong as opposed to weak. I've already tried to explain my sentiments, but VTP-DDM has a really strong post a few pages back in this thread that sort of summarizes and explains exactly why I like this volume. So you can try to refer to that.

I will also say that I didn't see your comments about liking NT 7-10. I just saw OT good NT sucks... which may have biased my reaction and interpretation of what you were saying?

Either way, I think that how good this volume was rests on a continuum.

Depending on your beliefs on what is happening and why and preferences on what should or could have happened instead, then you either liked this volume or disliked it and either called it good or evil.

I personally liked it and thought it was a "good" novel.

I'm just sad not everyone agrees so I'm being a bit harsh. *sigh*

I really thought this was a very powerful novel so I'm honestly confused as to why you dislike it so much.

I think your main criticism of this novel is that the Kamisato fashion is a gaping dark hole and you don't like how it is being used to explain things and have asspull developments... but to be honest, I think it's interesting to see this sort of style. I could tell from the get-go what Kamachi was trying to do last volume, but even I had a hard time liking Kamisato at first. Already though he has grown on me. I don't like him very much, but he's at least understandable.

I think that Kamachi's tactic here is to have us assume that the Kamisato faction is a faction of people similar to the Kamijou faction in size that has girls who are counterparts to the girls here. The fact that they're girls is a cliche that you may or may not like, but it is what it is. As long as it is tasteful and doesn't interfere too much with the rest of the story, then I don't mind. Kamachi pokes fun at it, and has Kamisato criticize Touma for it, and Touma also sees why Kamisato is freaking out at the girls around him.

I don't find this generic. I think that until things are explained then yeah... you're right. But it's clear that he has stuff in mind and that these characters will eventually all be introduced and explained and so on.

I think we just need to learn how to roll with the punches and get used to how Kamachi does things. He has strange approaches, but he does them for a reason. I honestly believe that what he is doing here has been fleshed out for a while. He has mentioned all sorts of character ideas for quite a while that he has never explored. I think he was just saving them for this faction of Kamisato's. So in reality, we just need to wait for more information and then we'll like those characters. Since they aren't the focus of the plot, I don't think it's that bad to believe that they can do all of these crazy things and have strong abilities... after all... they are gemstones, and pseudo-espers and what-not. They also have some magic side people... It just feels reasonable to me that his faction is what it is.

:shrug:

Anyway, going to bed, and sorry for blowing up at you.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 04:57   Link #646
LazyHunter

Spoiler for Epilogue and Afterword:
LazyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 05:03   Link #647
Last_Aeon
I'm a boy, enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHunter View Post
Spoiler for Epilogue and Afterword:
Yeah. I hope its fun rereading the same volume again!
Jokes aside, this volume was really good. Kamisato's faction getting wrecked is already a 9/10 guarantee for me.
Last_Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 05:37   Link #648
zaikoi

Personally,I feel NT 14 is better than NT 15.

I still don't like the character development for Touma & Mikoto except for Kamisato,Yuiitsu,Kamisato faction,Aleister & Laura.

Accelerator is badass as usual from past till now.
zaikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 06:16   Link #649
LevelSeven

overall....except for the parts with aleister it is basically going on like before :/
at least aleister seems to move a finger now, but still no real clue about his overall goal but...ok

accels screentime was rather small, better than nothing, it was...ok :/

salome is....boring, mass-murder here mass-murder there, as if stiyl didnt have a remarkable body count, or accel, of fiamma, or vento, or acqua, or etzali or etc etc etc.

kamisato got a bit more details, well, of course he did after having another volume with him but nothing really giving me a "woah"-feeling :/

touma is the same as ever, if NT9/10 didnt change him i dont think anything else will :I

and mikotos intro to suddenly compare herself with touma felt forced... it is like NT10 and NT15 mikoto arent the same :/ but better than giving her screentime without a purpose...

i give a 5/10... ok, with mikotos possible face heel turn and a possible chance to have aleister finally revealing his plot, it gets a 6/10 :/
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 06:42   Link #650
VTP-DDM

Quote:
and mikotos intro to suddenly compare herself with touma felt forced... it is like NT10 and NT15 mikoto arent the same :/ but better than giving her screentime without a purpose...
Well of course they're not, because NT13 happened and fundamentally changed Mikoto's thinking.
VTP-DDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 06:58   Link #651
LevelSeven

^it wasnt really a change in her mind, she convinced herself that touma is in some way "ahead of him" (despite the fact that he is basically having such BS for...like hundreds of years) which suddenly made her go crazy...this still feels forced imo :/
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 07:06   Link #652
mark1246

Still cant believe next month is another Toaru novel but a cross over, but for some sad reason, i dont think Jso6 will translate it. cause like with Durarara cross over, he probaly doesnt know anything about the mecha game cross over to know it lore/terms. not a big lose if that does happen
mark1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 07:34   Link #653
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I think the reason why the whole Misaka shenanigans felt forced is because it just had to involve Magic Gods and Magic God accessories.

Strike 1: Niang-Niang went "know your place" by attacking Mikoto with something that was almost fatal to her if not for Touma.
Strike 2: The whole High Priest chaos ended with Mikoto questioning whether her current position (i.e., behind Touma, bleachers girl per se) is enough.
Strike 3: Seeing Touma almost got killed helplessly by Yuiitsu.

It is possible to write a more straightforward story with Mikoto confronting Touma about unresolved things, but Kamachi's gonna Kamachi.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 07:54   Link #654
itine
No Book No Live

I just finish read English Translation & try to avoid read Chinese translation too yesterday.

Usually, I don't make a comment here but I think this time NT15 is difference than the others.

"Interesting"

You like or dislike (about Mikoto)
and I know she is definitely not the main plot in NT15
Oh yeah ...she not main plot either in NT13 ? cuz put on those cover together with Touma doesn't mean she is the main plot right ?
We don't call it NT13 "Acro bike Arc" but we just call it "Magic God Invasion Arc" LOL; because 'again' Mikoto is not main plot
Mikoto just Kamachi/Haimura "eye-candy" cover/illustration that all.

But you can't deny
She is interesting
(or at least bring the interesting on this series)
itine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 07:55   Link #655
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I think the reason why the whole Misaka shenanigans felt forced is because it just had to involve Magic Gods and Magic God accessories.

Strike 1: Niang-Niang went "know your place" by attacking Mikoto with something that was almost fatal to her if not for Touma.
Strike 2: The whole High Priest chaos ended with Mikoto questioning whether her current position (i.e., behind Touma, bleachers girl per se) is enough.
Strike 3: Seeing Touma almost got killed helplessly by Yuiitsu.

It is possible to write a more straightforward story with Mikoto confronting Touma about unresolved things, but Kamachi's gonna Kamachi.
There was also the whole 'right hand of a supposedly normal highschool boy about to do something to a comet in the sky' thing at the end of NT13 that probably scared her shitless. I think that was the thing ended up shaking her the most. It basically cemented the insecurities she formed due to the Magic Gods and lack of communication between her and Touma.
Old 2016-04-25, 10:14   Link #656
desrtsku
Nympholept

So, what happened to Tsuchimikado?
Old 2016-04-25, 10:25   Link #657
Eliah1102

Mikoto most probably ended up like that because of the High Priest speech about her holding Touma down.
Old 2016-04-25, 10:51   Link #658
entei08

Quote:
Ever heard of grafting? It is middle school science
Pretty sure I said "put themselves back together" as in self repair, grafting requires human intervention. My point being Clare is a supernatural plant-man who can perform fat transfusions on other people and save them. Why is connecting nerves something illogical now? Even when Kamisato acknowledged the potential problems and that he might need to borrow someone else from the faction?

As for the girls being attracted with no reason. It's funny because you can say the same about Touma. The afterword had Kamachi explaining Kamisato was made this way to compare a character that was gradually built up and one that wasn't and see how people would react, even though they are fundamentally the same.
entei08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 10:54   Link #659
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

I don't think the Mikoto development was bad. I mean she wants to help Touma and fight with him, but she is beginning to realize that Kamijou has been dealing with threats unknown to her and vastly more powerful than her. What the high priest said shook her a bit, and his power made her realize he was fighting in a place unknown.
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 10:57   Link #660
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Also the plant arm reattachment thing...considering there is a graviton compresser able to crush earth into the size of a ball, it's not completely impossible
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote