AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-26, 22:37   Link #1
Megane
Sleepy Head

Send a message via AIM to Megane Send a message via MSN to Megane
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Director's Cut

Looks like ADV have picked up the new Director's Cut of Neon Genesis Evangelion! So to those who buy their anime; will you be picking this one up? I've been meaning to buy Eva for a long time, and I almost bought the "Perfect" (If it was so perfect, why are we given this? Bad choice of name, if you ask me.) DVD box set, until I heard they were working on a new remastered version. Then I heard that it was looking at a Japan-only release, which sucked. But now it seems they are releasing it over here, so is anyone else excited?

However, what has me a bit stumped is why the first DVD contains episodes 21-23. AnimeNation says it "[allows] fans to see the creative progression of this seminal title's final moments." But it still seems a little backward to me... I guess they assumed that anyone who was likely to buy Eva has already bought it, so they can get away with starting anywhere.

But what's really cool is that the DVD contains an interview with the co-founder of WETA Workshop, the special effects team behind the Lord of the Rings films and the upcoming Live-Action Evangelion movie. Hopefully they'll be some tasty news about that, as I haven't heard anything regarding it for ages. Although ADV's site says issue 12 of "Anime Insider" has some fresh news. Shame we don't get that in the UK...

Anyway, hopefully they'll get around to releasing all the series in a remastered from, so that people who haven't bought it already will actually have incentive to spend money on it.

Last edited by Megane; 2003-12-26 at 22:39. Reason: typos (of which I am GOD)
Old 2003-12-26, 22:44   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I'm seriously thinking about it ... I'll probably hedge my bets and wait though; get a bit more information about what people think of it first. The "re-edit" does its job and makes me curious... I agree the interview could be interesting... but I'm not yet totally convinced its worth the cost... There are other things on my list that I've seen and have to buy first.
Old 2003-12-26, 22:50   Link #3
Megane
Sleepy Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
I'm seriously thinking about it ... I'll probably hedge my bets and wait though; get a bit more information about what people think of it first. The "re-edit" does its job and makes me curious... I agree the interview could be interesting... but I'm not yet totally convinced its worth the cost...
Yes, the only prices I've seen so far do happen to be quite hefty for three episode DVDs, but let us hope that either it is well worth it, or that the market will see to a swift reduction.
Quote:
There are other things on my list that I've seen and have to buy first.
Ah, so true, and thus is the curse of the anime invester.
Old 2003-12-26, 23:41   Link #4
xfordained
you should die

WERE WHERE WHER i must have it i never got the perfect box and just like ur self i was about to buy it but after i heard about the rm i stoped any idea when they come out with english dubbs and what price is hefty to u?
Old 2003-12-27, 06:11   Link #5
Fronzel
Schmuck

...say what?
Old 2003-12-27, 11:09   Link #6
Megane
Sleepy Head

Evangelion Release Timeline

Hmm, I seem to have confused myself about all the various Evangelion releases now. I'm going to try and use this post as a way to collect the info I find on the subject so that I can clear things up for myself. If it helps anyone else, bonus.
  • First of all, you have the VHS episodes, which were released around 1996/1997. Each release is called Genesis 0:x, where x is the release number from 1 to 13. Fair enough.
  • Then we're given the DVDs in 2000. Releases are named Collection 0:x, from 1 to 8. Things are still looking not-too-crazy.
  • But it seems that episodes 24-26 were remastered and released on DVD somewhere in the year 2000 (according to amazon.com), entitled Genesis Reborn, which I assume replaces Collection 0:8. But RightStuf say that this DVD has not been released yet, and has a 2004 release date...
  • The "Perfect" Box Set was released in April 2002.
  • Also in April 2002 RightStuf released (can't find it anywhere else) a limited (only 2000 in the initial run) aluminium art box to house the DVDs which were already available. You could buy it on it's own or with what RightStuf called "Remastered DVD 1". I still don't know if that means either a remastered Collection0:1, Genesis: Reborn, or...
  • Resurrection, which is set to be released Janurary 2004, containing episodes 21-23. AnimeNation call this Director's Cut DVD 1.

Oh, and somewhere along the line they released some movies or something...

What has me stumped is whether or not Genesis: Reborn belongs to the same Director's Cut set as Resurrection, and if there exists a "Remastered DVD 1" (with episodes 1-4, which would replace Collection 0:1) as hinted by RightStuf and by a review of the aluminium box I read somewhere...

ADV or whoever is behind Evangelion's release names seems to enjoy following in suit of the anime and causing as much confusion as possible... Does anyone have any solid info which would clear any of this up for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfordained
WERE WHERE WHER i must have it i never got the perfect box and just like ur self i was about to buy it but after i heard about the rm i stoped any idea when they come out with english dubbs and what price is hefty to u?
Well, the Recommended Retail Price for Resurrection seems to be 29.98USD, but I've already found it available to preorder at DVDPacific for 17.32USD (almost half price).
Old 2003-12-27, 21:59   Link #7
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Why do people constantly mistake this release for the remastered version?
Old 2003-12-27, 23:38   Link #8
Fronzel
Schmuck

The "remastered" vol. 1 was done in response to over-reaction to a few overlays. It's not much to think about.
Old 2003-12-28, 01:19   Link #9
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Weird thing this NGE thing in America is....

But since I'm Japanese, I'll tell you my collection:

The original LaserDisc boxsets
The movie LaserDisc boxsets
The recently released remastered DVD special box http://www.evangelion.co.jp/

Total cost for me over the past ten years: more than 100,000 yen
Old 2003-12-28, 02:22   Link #10
xfordained
you should die

lol laser disc i rember those huge beasts well in canada the perfect dvd box casts 174CND and i havent been able to find any other box sets and i was wondering does the perfect box set include the 2 movies since al already bought eoe and death and rebirth?and does this japense box set that you say have english subb?god i hate english dubbs.
Old 2003-12-28, 03:36   Link #11
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfordained
lol laser disc i rember those huge beasts well in canada the perfect dvd box casts 174CND and i havent been able to find any other box sets and i was wondering does the perfect box set include the 2 movies since al already bought eoe and death and rebirth?and does this japense box set that you say have english subb?god i hate english dubbs.
Why would I buy something in sub format?

Why would Japan need a sub?
Old 2003-12-28, 05:46   Link #12
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Since it hasn't properly been explained...

ADV did a quick remaster of the 1st disc of their release to replace the overlaid video master with their hardsubbed dub master (the ones they used for discs 2-8). This is also one of the first discs to be authored by MOFC, the icehouse that ADV uses exclusively now. This has nothing to do with any Japanese remastering.

The Director's Cut episodes that ADV has announced are newer versions of the last 6 episodes. These came out in Japan ages ago. ADV's discs of the Director's Cut will replace the last two discs of the original release, as the new Director's Cut discs will contain both the original versions and the versions with newer footage.

Recently, the Renewal project, a complete audio and video remaster of the entire series, completed in Japan. The new masters are cleaned up to look much more presentable than the old masters ever did, with fully progressive video and 5.1 audio. This is not licensed by ADV... yet.

Hope that clears things up a little.
Old 2003-12-28, 06:40   Link #13
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
No 5.1 audio/remastered video = no buy.
Nice ADV, but get the l33t stuff next time.
Old 2003-12-29, 02:18   Link #14
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

I really have to wonder, though... ADV is definitely interested in the remaster, but there's one big concern - would the casual consumer really re-purchase the entire series? Especially so close to the original releases...

Not to mention the costs of licensing it are probably quite astronomical compared to the license they hold to the original masters. So if they're going to release it, they can't afford to release it cheap...
Old 2003-12-29, 03:13   Link #15
Fronzel
Schmuck

Re: Remaster

I just think it's nice that an entire series looks so amazing. You get films like that, but an entire series? Too bad it must have been very expensive...more things should be like that.
Old 2003-12-29, 10:50   Link #16
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCreator
Ibut there's one big concern - would the casual consumer really re-purchase the entire series?

Allthough is pains me to say this, logically I can say 110%: NO

Especially with the above and the licenceing costs, I doubt we'll ever see it in the US, at least for a very very long time
Old 2003-12-30, 00:53   Link #17
xfordained
you should die

i donno much about dvd's just thought since i have some dvds(2) that have 2 or even 3 languages on it thought they might do it on every dvd
Old 2003-12-30, 07:45   Link #18
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

I completely failed to extract any meaning from that post.
Old 2003-12-31, 03:07   Link #19
xfordained
you should die

ok then so stfu
Old 2003-12-31, 05:00   Link #20
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Um. Okay.

I don't see why you didn't just clarify what you said, perhaps by using complete sentences instead of random word combinations, and resorted to insulting me. I still have no idea what your original point is, and apparently you believe belittling me for not being able to understand your unintelligible post is more important than fixing that.