AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-16, 07:07   Link #1
luckme10
Just call me G

Location: California, bay area or is it San Diego... not sure
Send a message via AIM to luckme10
Why manga is better then anime.

Why manga is better then anime.
hmm well as you can see i was going to place a picture here but looks like geocities won't let me. So i'll put it like this. Manga tends to go into far more detail then anime. And sometimes have different paths then the anime. Take kenshin for example.... damn it won't let me show that picture....

Warning MAJOR kenshin spoiler:
http://www.geocities.com/luckme10/kenshin01

'nuff said.

Last edited by luckme10; 2003-11-16 at 07:22.
Old 2003-11-16, 09:30   Link #2
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Kenshin's a bad example, as the animation team was full of fools and attempted to further the story before the manga was over. Had they waited and done the revenge arc instead of that retarded thing that they ended the series on, then your argument would be nullified and you'd be sitting here blubbering like a baby.

*snoopy fiddles with the address of the pic...*

I SO knew that was the pic! YES!! Who's the man? Me.

Spoiler:

Anyway, while each has its strong points, I'm an advocate of story over coolness, so I agree that manga's better.

Oh yeah, link to the picture: http://www.geocities.com/luckme10/kenshin01.jpg (paste into the address bar)
Old 2003-11-16, 11:21   Link #3
AnimeFangirl

Spoiler:

I tend to prefer manga X100 to anime, but I don't think luckme has given a convincing argument - or indeed any argument at all - in favour of manga.
Old 2003-11-16, 12:17   Link #4
tsuki_desu
Hidden in the darkness...

manga is better cuz it's more detailed. Like for example, kamikaze kaitou jeanne and fullmoon wo sagashite are both mangas from an amazing manga artist called tanemura arina. Both stories have become animes but the anime pictures aren't as great.
Old 2003-11-16, 15:25   Link #5
Zoya
Dazed and Confused

If we are just talking details, of course manga is going to be more detailed than anime. Production companies simply can not afford to put the detail into the anime. While a manga scene may contain a few panels, that same scene rendered onto film takes thousands of drawings.

I like both mediums for different reasons, but as many people have reiterated in the Why Manga? thread, when a show/movie is based on a previously written book/story, the original is almost always better.

Zoya
Old 2003-11-16, 15:50   Link #6
shigeki
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to shigeki
Yes i agree there are a lot of series where the manga is better then the anime but I would not say that manga is better then anime. Look at NGE for example the manga isn`t that good then the anime.
Old 2003-11-16, 18:00   Link #7
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigeki
Yes i agree there are a lot of series where the manga is better then the anime but I would not say that manga is better then anime. Look at NGE for example the manga isn`t that good then the anime.
It all depends on where the manga came from. As far as I know, the manga was made after the TV show was created so they could make more money :/
Old 2003-11-16, 18:24   Link #8
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Right you are, Zalas (at least I'm pretty sure... if there's only 9 volumes of EVA manga released so far, there's no way it's been going since the mid 90's...). The same thing can be said for Vandread. If the anime's better, it's almost a sure sign that the anime was the original product.
Old 2003-11-18, 00:09   Link #9
moose_and_squirrel

Send a message via ICQ to moose_and_squirrel Send a message via AIM to moose_and_squirrel Send a message via MSN to moose_and_squirrel Send a message via Yahoo to moose_and_squirrel
dorfl: if you dont like kenshin... why do you read it?
Old 2003-11-18, 00:25   Link #10
AnimeFangirl

Because Saitou was so sexy, meeeow!! Yeah, that was most of it, really . And I said Jinchuu arc sucks, but the rest of the manga wasn't so bad, the fights were always fun and the story was simple enough to not get in the way of the action. I just couldn't stand most of the characters: Kaoru, Kenshin-in-preach-mode, Enishi, Sano, Yahiko, Enishi, Aoshi, Tomoe, Enishi, please die. Quickly, please.
Old 2003-11-19, 21:21   Link #11
*aznplayboi*
YUM!! YUM!!

Send a message via AIM to *aznplayboi*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
Because Saitou was so sexy, meeeow!! Yeah, that was most of it, really . And I said Jinchuu arc sucks, but the rest of the manga wasn't so bad, the fights were always fun and the story was simple enough to not get in the way of the action. I just couldn't stand most of the characters: Kaoru, Kenshin-in-preach-mode, Enishi, Sano, Yahiko, Enishi, Aoshi, Tomoe, Enishi, please die. Quickly, please.
um....ur gay....

If u only like it because of saitou then how the hell u know all those characters

oh yeah..also...ur gay
Old 2003-11-19, 21:30   Link #12
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
I also prefer the manga much more than the anime, with just a few exceptions. Akira and Rurouni Kenshin, for instance, are 1000000x better than their anime (even though Akira movie is awesome, the manga is much greater, the best ever IMO). Kenshin's OVAs (both) are piece of art, but the series isn't that good. It has a crappy animation IMO, and after the Shishio arc, it's all trash. The only anime I prefer than the manga is One Piece. I prefer to see Luffy animated, and the "happening funny scenes", it's cooler in the anime with sounds and stuff.
Old 2003-11-19, 21:54   Link #13
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by *aznplayboi*
If u only like it because of saitou then how the hell u know all those characters
Because I read it, DUH? And if you read my post you'd see that there were other reasons why I kept reading it, even if Saitou ( ) was obviously the greatest reason.
Old 2003-11-19, 21:58   Link #14
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by *aznplayboi*
um....ur gay....

oh yeah..also...ur gay
I was under the impression that Dorfl was female... thus a homosexual dorfl'd be a lesbian. Although obviously not, 'cause she said she liked Saitou... you're argument is gone, man (I'm going to turn this forum intelligent if it kills me).

Besides, lots of people read things they don't particularly like all of the aspects to (Although personally, I enjoyed Rurouni Kenshin... granted, I did think Kenshin was slightly to feminine when he wasn't in 'Battousai mode', and I believe the series had more than a few blatantly homosexual undertones that most fanbois choose to ignore). Just look at me. I've read Love Hina.

And your argument is slightly imature, aznplayboi.
Old 2003-11-19, 22:48   Link #15
*aznplayboi*
YUM!! YUM!!

Send a message via AIM to *aznplayboi*
kk srry...but i only really read the kill him and kill her post. Also i meant gay as in idiot gay...not guy like guy if u know wat i mean...

but watever....
Old 2003-11-20, 00:32   Link #16
Dwaryn

I'm under the impression that manga is generally better than anime because there is more room for creativity. In a week, the animation team have to anime a few thousand frames and with the story already written, the director needs to organise the storyboard placement and sound effect/music. There is already alot of work to do, if they have no story to go on (kenshin) and they are pressured to continue, the plots created are much less intricate.

The manga author would have a deeper understanding of the characters they create (obviously.. since they must've spent countless weeks in their creation), while the animation team's director/storywriter who did not write the earlier parts of the story would have to a lesser degree an understanding of how the characters act and think. In the later kenshin episodes, the anime only explores Kenshin's 'saving people' nature and his 'no killing'ness (the only hiten user and that feng shui bs), while the manga went deep into his psychological breakdown as his past haunts him (literally).

The fact is the anime team works much less on the characters itself than the manga team, they usually concentrate in the representation of the characteristics of the characters that they feel from the manga (thus the melancholy/happy musics, colourful/gloomy backgrounds) and it usually is alot better than the manga unless they don't have a story to work off. btw this is only about animes that have been created after a manga
Old 2003-11-20, 04:05   Link #17
AnimeFangirl

I like the Hajime no Ippo anime more than the manga, although snoopy assures us that they left a lot of stuff out in later volumes. It's just that boxing really comes alive when you get to see it animated. All the voice-acting is completely superb as well, and this really adds to the atmosphere. And of course, Ippo has the dreamiest grey eyes I have ever seen in my life *swoon*
Old 2003-11-20, 07:11   Link #18
luckme10
Just call me G

Location: California, bay area or is it San Diego... not sure
Send a message via AIM to luckme10
As for ippo I like the manga more because there seemed to be a lot of stuff they could have kept in. For instance, Ippo's lifeguard mode on the first summer camp or his first trunks just to think of a few of the bat. It also seems that the anime will only take it so far... seeing how there are 66 volumes and counting of Ippo. And the tv show ends at what 40(snoopy you probably have been asked this countless times)? Ippo has revived my boxing spirit! I haven't had so much enjoyment out of boxing since beating up mike tyson on that nes, or watching Ali perform the rope a dope in the Rumble in the Jungle
Anyways I mainly started this thread because I was blown away at the plot of Kenshin. Having painstakingly sat through all 94 episodes in the series, I found the manga to be quiet refreshing. I got some nice chills from that chapter where i posted the .gif from. and this is coming from a schizoid like myself(well at least somewhat)
Old 2003-11-20, 12:02   Link #19
BME
Belldandy Fanboy

Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Where Polar bears roam the streets
I like to see the anime first and then read the manga, it makes for a better experiance on the whole when anime often skips stuff. This is especially the case with the OMG OVA where they didn't really follow the manga but borrowed stories from it and changed them a bit, this makes it a bit more intresting to read the manga when you´ve already seen the anime, but Naruto seem to follow the manga pretty closley (from what I´ve read of it) so it isn't as applicable in that case.
Old 2003-11-20, 14:13   Link #20
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

I think Naruto almost follows the manga too closely. The anime is incredibly slow-paced...

And the Ippo TV series ends in volume 30/31, the Kimura/Mashiba OVA is in volumes... I think 33 or 34, I'd have to check to be certain, but it's around there.
Closed Thread