AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-28, 21:28   Link #161
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
What are you getting a ph d in? Paritcle physics? Just kidding-really, what subject? And to think I had to work like hell to get my masters in Liberal Arts-and the job I have now has nothing what so ever to do with that degree-go figure? Your originial PC subs are still available-but it takes a long hard google search to find em'-and when one does locate them-more like 2 months to finish the download-which is why I'm glad all 49 episodes reside on my hard drive.
Old 2007-05-28, 22:37   Link #162
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post
What are you getting a ph d in? Paritcle physics? Just kidding-really, what subject?
Actually your guess is isn't too far off, but that's not really on-topic, so if you want to know about Quarkboy's graduate studies you'll have to ask him in PM.

The only important point is that AnimeSuki still considers Pretty Cure to be licensed. I was about to bring up reconsidering the license. The he posted this which convinced me that Pretty Cure may yet get released in the US:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
AND.... I think I consider Pretty Cure Licensed again.

Or perhaps I should call this post "And They're BAAAAAACK...."

According to a news report on animeonline, which links to a japanese blog http://www.animeonline.com/index.php...ails&id=101718

Toei animation has decided to set up shop... AGAIN... in their LA headquarters and try to license their products themselves into the US market. The Japanese blogger even notes that Pretty Cure is featured on their new web site even though it's the only show that is NOT already being distributed in the US.

Let's see if and when this might happen. But at the very least it seems like Toei will give any new licenses to themselves .

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-05-29, 00:51   Link #163
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Actually your guess is isn't too far off, but that's not really on-topic, so if you want to know about Quarkboy's graduate studies you'll have to ask him in PM.

The only important point is that AnimeSuki still considers Pretty Cure to be licensed. I was about to bring up reconsidering the license. The he posted this which convinced me that Pretty Cure may yet get released in the US:
Slightly off or on topic, I'm not really sure anymore... but I might, and I stress MIGHT, actually have a job at Toei animation Inc, LA this summer.

If I do, I presume I will have access to the information of whether the show is actually licensed or not. Of course, I would also need to stop any fansubbing work (more permanently then I do now).
I'm not sure whether it will actually materialize, but I HAVE gotten a positive response from them... And I'm not sure exactly what I'd be doing, but I'd hope part of it would be attempting to bring Pretty Cure to the states, OFFICIALLY. Or, it could be filing...
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-05-29, 01:04   Link #164
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Slightly off or on topic, I'm not really sure anymore... but I might, and I stress MIGHT, actually have a job at Toei animation Inc, LA this summer.

If I do, I presume I will have access to the information of whether the show is actually licensed or not. Of course, I would also need to stop any fansubbing work (more permanently then I do now).
I'm not sure whether it will actually materialize, but I HAVE gotten a positive response from them... And I'm not sure exactly what I'd be doing, but I'd hope part of it would be attempting to bring Pretty Cure to the states, OFFICIALLY. Or, it could be filing...
Why is Toei employing a Quantum Physicist? I guess anime is getting really technical these days.

(No need to answer that, I understand. I just thought it was amusing.)

I hope you can answer us about the actual license status of Pretty Cure. It would suck if you need to sign a confidentiality agreement.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-09-21, 23:03   Link #165
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Uber batch just released.

Oh, and this thread should be moved back into "Unlicensed" now that asuki is listing the show again.

And by the way, Toei was not seriously interested, it seems, and was trying to get me to send them advice for free. Ha!
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-09-27, 04:13   Link #166
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Toei certainly needs advice if they can't get this gem released in R1. Iit is a shame that they were just scamming you.

Old 2008-07-18, 07:09   Link #167
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Well, looks like Pretty Cure is licensed, again. Toei Animation is releasing the series subtitled, over at IGN's Direct2Drive service. You can find the downloads here.

Wish I had money to buy them...
Old 2008-07-20, 00:34   Link #168
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Well this is like the bare minimum thing Toei could possibly do with the series in R1. I really fail to see how they will attract more than say... 100? people to pay $2 per episode for a show in slightly worse quality than they can get using youtube to watch my fansubs that people keep uploading.

I can't even purchase the damn things myself since I'm in Japan and the direct2drive service is region locked to the US and Canada. So you'll have to wait for my critque of the subtitles (although I've already heard reports from people of the atrocious video quality).
Sam Pinansky
Old 2008-12-17, 10:21   Link #169
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Post YTV to Air Pretty Cure in Canada

Well, folks!

After a year or two since 4-KIDS decided to drop off the license for Pretty Cure, YTV struck a license agreement with TOEI studios to start broadcasting the show as earlier as the first quarter of 2009.

Animation Magazine reports that so far airing of Pretty Cure's (first series) episodes will be only in Canada, and for the time being nothing has been mentioned about a possible broadcast in the United States.

Source. Animation Magazine

BTW, for a possible, and most likely, displeasure or dismay of hard-cored, Pretty Cure fans, C21 Media also reports that Nagisa and Honoka have been re-named to 'Natalie' and 'Hannah' for the YTV English dub.

Source. C21 Media
Old 2009-01-03, 08:57   Link #170
xris
Just call me Ojisan

The first series of Pretty Cure! (i.e. Futari wa Pretty Cure) will be released on Crunchyroll starting Jan 2009 so it's back to being considered as licensed.

Crunchyroll
Old 2009-01-03, 17:12   Link #171
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
The first series of Pretty Cure! (i.e. Futari wa Pretty Cure) will be released on Crunchyroll starting Jan 2009 so it's back to being considered as licensed.

Crunchyroll
Actually... It's been streamed on Crunchyroll for almost 2 monthes now. Maybe more...
Old 2009-03-07, 11:29   Link #172
labsuit
hikki-neet

Dub impressions

I don't know if anyone's following this thread, but I just caught the first episode of YTV's (for now) Canada-only dub and I thought I'd give a few thoughts.
  • I missed the actual opening, but I heard the original theme in the next episode preview. Most of the music in the show is original, although the ending theme is different.
  • The voices suffer a little from Valley Girl syndrome. It's not as bad as Totally Spies, but just about every character sounds like they're about to say "Like fer sure, omigod" at the end of every sentence.
  • They kept a joke about Nagisa only getting love letters from girls.
  • The characters' names are Western, but Honoka's dog still has a Japanese name.
  • They changed what Precure say just before they do their finishing move. Originally they said something along the lines of "Our beautiful souls will purify your evil heart," and in the dub it's something like "We stamp out the darkness and replace it with light, we fight for justice and what's right." Yes, it rhymed. They also don't say "Precure Marble Screw," although I couldn't make out what they said instead.

According to Wikipedia, the dub was done by Blue Water Studios in connection with the Ocean Group -- not exactly an all star team. Their dub of Zeta Gundam was very poorly rated, and that was by people who LIKE dubs.

The airtimes seem to have changed a little from what ANN originally reported. I saw the show at 8AM Saturday, it's also on early Friday mornings, and again Friday afternoon. It seems unlikely to gain much of an audience at those times of day. Sailor Moon succeeded in a daily after-school timeslot, and that's where YTV put the awful magical girl knockoff Winx Club, so that's where Precure really belongs. I doubt it'll happen though.
Old 2009-03-08, 00:11   Link #173
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by labsuit View Post
I don't know if anyone's following this thread, but I just caught the first episode of YTV's (for now) Canada-only dub and I thought I'd give a few thoughts.
  • I missed the actual opening, but I heard the original theme in the next episode preview. Most of the music in the show is original, although the ending theme is different.
  • The voices suffer a little from Valley Girl syndrome. It's not as bad as Totally Spies, but just about every character sounds like they're about to say "Like fer sure, omigod" at the end of every sentence.
  • They kept a joke about Nagisa only getting love letters from girls.
  • The characters' names are Western, but Honoka's dog still has a Japanese name.
  • They changed what Precure say just before they do their finishing move. Originally they said something along the lines of "Our beautiful souls will purify your evil heart," and in the dub it's something like "We stamp out the darkness and replace it with light, we fight for justice and what's right." Yes, it rhymed. They also don't say "Precure Marble Screw," although I couldn't make out what they said instead.

According to Wikipedia, the dub was done by Blue Water Studios in connection with the Ocean Group -- not exactly an all star team. Their dub of Zeta Gundam was very poorly rated, and that was by people who LIKE dubs.

The airtimes seem to have changed a little from what ANN originally reported. I saw the show at 8AM Saturday, it's also on early Friday mornings, and again Friday afternoon. It seems unlikely to gain much of an audience at those times of day. Sailor Moon succeeded in a daily after-school timeslot, and that's where YTV put the awful magical girl knockoff Winx Club, so that's where Precure really belongs. I doubt it'll happen though.
Too bad, the Philippine version sounded better -- IMFO -- with none of the "valley girl" posturing, the Japanese names retained, and even their sidekicks sound more funnier.

In the February 2009 edition of Anime Insider, I've read an article about the show, where they talked about the license fumbling (with the notorious 4kids), how the series eventually went to YTV, and doubted whether it would succeed in North America. Judging from the first reactions, looks like not everyone's gonna be happy with the adaptation.

Spoiler for Regarding Honoka Yukishiro...:

Last edited by sa547; 2009-03-08 at 03:08. Reason: IMFO
Old 2009-03-08, 00:45   Link #174
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I finally watched the dub and I really couldn't disagree with that opinion more. And I fansubbed it years ago.

The voices are standard young girl voices, it's not anywhere CLOSE to the valley girl rewrite that Mew Mew Power got.

Overall I think it's a really good dub whose script is really faithful to the original Japanese dialog, with the exception of name changes.
The main characters are all decent, although Hannah could use a bit of improvement.

I've heard the phillipean dub (clips, anyway), and its extremely poorly acted. Plus the sound editing was terrible. It's typical of the super low budget asian based english dubs.
This one sounds a lot more professional to me, and is, in my opinion, shaping up to be the most faithful mainstream dub of a magical girl show.... EVER.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-03-08, 02:57   Link #175
sa547
*Author

Quote:
I've heard the phillipean dub (clips, anyway), and its extremely poorly acted. Plus the sound editing was terrible. It's typical of the super low budget asian based english dubs.

It'll sound ugly if one does not know the language. Being used to all this for so long, dubbing or the localization isn't much of an issue for me, it's just that not everyone's gonna read subtitles.

Unless you actually try to help out the dubbing team in localization. Then I give you cookies.

Last edited by sa547; 2009-03-08 at 03:10.
Old 2009-03-08, 04:48   Link #176
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post

It'll sound ugly if one does not know the language. Being used to all this for so long, dubbing or the localization isn't much of an issue for me, it's just that not everyone's gonna read subtitles.

Unless you actually try to help out the dubbing team in localization. Then I give you cookies.
Oh, wait... Sorry, I thought you mean the english odex dub... I figured they aired that in the phillipeans since most people speak english there, I didn't realize there was an actual phillipean dub.

Ah, I haven't heard that one so, I take back what I said, sorry for the confusion.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-03-08, 10:15   Link #177
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Oh, wait... Sorry, I thought you mean the english odex dub... I figured they aired that in the phillipeans since most people speak english there, I didn't realize there was an actual phillipean dub.

Ah, I haven't heard that one so, I take back what I said, sorry for the confusion.
Apology accepted. Heard more of xed0's notoriety than their dubbing, though.

Back to topic... Still waiting for the local TV station to air up Max Heart, but not sure if they'll actually do that, considering that the better moneymaker is a certain 14-year-old ninja.

Last edited by sa547; 2009-03-08 at 10:32.
Old 2009-03-08, 19:48   Link #178
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
If you're talking about an Odex dub like Bandai used for Fantastic Children-it really wasn't that bad-Pretty Cure has been eaten and regurgitated so many times it's kinda of lost it's appeal to a lot of people-even though I really like the magical girl genre I've long since moved on to other series such as Mahou Shoujo Tai Arisu or Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and a lot of others. Oh you mean Tagalog-since I lived in the Philippines for 5 years I'm pretty familar with it.
Old 2009-03-09, 20:58   Link #179
Yokokawan Cyber

When I watched this anime I saw this opening:
Old 2009-03-09, 23:59   Link #180
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokokawan Cyber View Post
When I watched this anime I saw this opening:
That's the normal opening, so what's unusual about it?

Tags
magical girl, school life