AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ore no Imouto

Notices

View Poll Results: Ore no Imouto - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 54 41.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 27.13%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 15.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 8.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 3.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.78%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.55%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.78%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-29, 17:13   Link #101
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

I acknowledge the show making fun of Kirino getting angry at the archetype eroge character that she herself fufills as a role in this show, but I don't see how it's funny. I mean to be honest it was more or less 20 minutes of a setup to SET UP actual development between the two of them, but we've been waiting for development from episode one.

We all know where the destination, and the journey itself is what makes it worthwhile, but it isn't worth much of anything if you're still at the start while everyone else is walking ahead of you.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2010-11-29, 17:26   Link #102
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Note :

1. The girl in the backcover of the mag Kirino is reading looks like Azunyan.
2. Kirino is wearing cat ears. Isn't cute that practically ALL of Ayanyan's characters have a catgirl side to them?
3. Kuroneko's imouto is a loli. Kuroneko is a lolita. So what is their mum?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-11-29, 17:27   Link #103
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
This episode's script was written by the author of the original novels himself (unlike all the other episodes in the anime so far).
That explains the resemblance to the current volume of the light novel, thanks for the information. Looks like I have to rewatch this episode's hint for future volumes with greater care again and value them differently^^
Old 2010-11-29, 17:27   Link #104
Master Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Note :

3. Kuroneko's imouto is a loli. Kuroneko is a lolita. So what is their mum?
Worried.

Old 2010-11-29, 17:28   Link #105
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Like I said, worth more than a thousand words

Thank you for sharing this pic, I think this was a pretty significant moment for Kirino's development. This was the first time I've seen Kirino look at Kyousuke that way, unless I'm mistaken.
Kirino's face when she looked at Kyousuke was certainly capturing.. So that is why she beated on Kyousuke for no reason, to deny the feelings she gets.
Old 2010-11-29, 17:28   Link #106
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Unless you think that what we're watching here constitutes good handling and character development of a tsundere character. Do you? And if so, why?
I've come to the conclusion that I really don't care. Watching Kirino as portrayed in the show is fun and funny for me, and watching Kyousuke try to deal with her unceasing selfishness is enjoyable as well. It's like a sitcom; "no matter what happens, Kirino will just keep being Kirino!" is their shtick. That was exactly what this episode was like (right down to the last shot), and I thought it was funny and enjoyable. I'm sure that they'll make a transition eventually, but I'm in no rush -- I imagine there's probably a second season to come, anyway.

People who don't like the way Kirino is portrayed are going to continue to claim it's an objective flaw in the show's storytelling, and people who enjoy it as is are going to continue to not care what those other people think. This whole on-going debate has been pretty pointless; it's just an opportunity for people to keep expressing over and over again why they think their personal opinions are justified and right. Well, I know: Welcome to the Internet... Not claiming I'm an exception. But at this point I think the arguments are almost writing themselves -- heck, the show itself is fueling the fire. In a sense, we're all being played. I'm going to go back to just enjoying the show.

Quote:
The final scene between Kirino and Kyousuke was just the icing on the cake. Kirino even used the very same lines from the eroge but at the same time, made it more obvious that her feelings for Kyousuke are far different from her actions.
I had realized that the lines were similar, but you're right -- they're actually exactly the same. Clearly Kyousuke chose made the right choice. At least she didn't tell him that he's useless and should just die for not getting mad at her...
Old 2010-11-29, 17:30   Link #107
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Since when was intent of portrayal a justification for anything? It is simply not good writing to have a character actually take a step backwards in character development 9 episodes into a series. It's simply ridiculous.

The writing of the story is almost objectively bad at this point.
I don't know if she's taking a step backwards.

But she is completely static as a character right now.

Even this wouldn't be so much of an issue except all the other major characters are getting meaningful character development, making Kirino's static nature stand out like a sore thumb.

At least it does to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post

The irony to me is astounding because this episode made me more interested in everyone else but Kirino. How is that possible?
It's possible, in large part, because the other characters are actually getting serious character development. A character that changes and develops over time is almost inherently more interesting than a static character.

In any event, I agree with you.

I now watch Ore no Imouto for everybody except the titular Imouto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Hah, Kiirino, seems to have gotten so excited she needs to take a shower. Though it seems to disturb me that she's caring more about her eroge than other people which comes off as a big - that is even worse than her behavior towards others.

The lampshading is mildly funny, though a bit too blatant and unfortunately, nothing much really came out of it yet. But at least she learns that could be really annoying so it may take another episode to sink in. Hopefully it won't be glossed over.
I fear it will be glossed over.

Because I'm starting to get the impression that a big part of this anime is about experimenting with an all-tsun "tsundere" female lead.

I'll admit that the concept is daring, and novel.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's fun to watch in execution.

Quote:
How has Kirino taken a step backwards? I really don't see how you came to that conclusion. It's fairly obvious that the author purposely made Kirino the way she is especially if that person goes as far as having the very same character complain about another character in the same fashion as the audience. It's clever and hilarious if you ask me, it had me laughing. If you didn't get a kick out of it, then I'm sorry. There's simply nothing that can be done if you don't enjoy it or missed out on the hilarity.
But this isn't a pure comedy. There's a lot of drama in this.

Doing a joke that essentially is "Ha ha ha!!! Isn't it hilarious how tsun to the extreme our female lead is! And behold her getting a taste of poetic justice through her very own favorite past time! Ha ha ha!" kind of counteracts any desire to care about that character.

Like, if and when Kirino gets into trouble with her dad or Ayase or somebody else again, why should I care about her? The anime itself is going to great lengths to point out how nasty her behavior is. That kind of undermines any future drama that could depend on the viewer caring about Kirino.

Quote:
The writing is just fine,
Not for anything other than a pure comedy, it's not.

Quote:
...but you don't seem to want to change your opinion after this last episode did such a wonderful job at setting up some potential development.
What's the point of a wonderful set up if there's no payoff to it?
Old 2010-11-29, 17:35   Link #108
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Kirino's face when she looked at Kyousuke was certainly capturing.. So that is why she beated on Kyousuke for no reason, to deny the feelings she gets.
Indeed, classic Tsundere behavior, using violence as a form of denial.
Old 2010-11-29, 17:42   Link #109
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Worried.

I don't think their mum would be worried about having two cute little daughters that are still not grown-up after 16 years.

Or possibly forever.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-11-29, 17:42   Link #110
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
Minor nitpick: Why does Kyousuke call Kuroneko? He is just secondary cast in this glorious yuri show!
He should not interfere with the good ending! But maybe its going the KirinoxAyase route. I should rewatch ep5 for more hints!
What the F are u talking about?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2010-11-29, 17:43   Link #111
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
I don't know if she's taking a step backwards.

But she is completely static as a character right now.

Even this wouldn't be so much of an issue except all the other major characters are getting meaningful character development, making Kirino's static nature stand out like a sore thumb.

At least it does to me.
Because in this episode we were back to Kirino basically ignoring Kyousuke much like episode 1 and getting mad at absolutely everything he did. It was almost as if they never became closer together at all, which means the last 8.5 episodes have been pointless.

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that I really don't care. Watching Kirino as portrayed in the show is fun and funny for me, and watching Kyousuke try to deal with her unceasing selfishness is enjoyable as well. It's like a sitcom; "no matter what happens, Kirino will just keep being Kirino!" is their shtick. That was exactly what this episode was like (right down to the last shot), and I thought it was funny and enjoyable. I'm sure that they'll make a transition eventually, but I'm in no rush -- I imagine there's probably a second season to come, anyway.

People who don't like the way Kirino is portrayed are going to continue to claim it's an objective flaw in the show's storytelling, and people who enjoy it as is are going to continue to not care what those other people think. This whole on-going debate has been pretty pointless; it's just an opportunity for people to keep expressing over and over again why they think their personal opinions are justified and right. Well, I know: Welcome to the Internet... Not claiming I'm an exception. But at this point I think the arguments are almost writing themselves -- heck, the show itself is fueling the fire. In a sense, we're all being played. I'm going to go back to just enjoying the show.
Sorry, simply proclaiming ad nauseum every freaking thread of this show serves no purpose when I don't even feel like your side has made enough points to constitute a real argument to back up Kirino's character (Other than it's my opinion man!).
Old 2010-11-29, 17:48   Link #112
Master Chibi

Quote:
This whole on-going debate has been pretty pointless; it's just an opportunity for people to keep expressing over and over again why they think their personal opinions are justified and right. Well, I know: Welcome to the Internet... Not claiming I'm an exception. But at this point I think the arguments are almost writing themselves -- heck, the show itself is fueling the fire. In a sense, we're all being played. I'm going to go back to just enjoying the show.
I don't think I'm justified, right, or anything of that.

I just genuinely don't like her. I'd be more comfortable labeling her as being one dimensional, but that's not entirely true (not enough to be used as such anyway).

I enjoy anime mostly for its characters, then for its stories, and everything else that follows. When I can't relate, enjoy, or actually like a character, I find myself not interested to care for them. At that point I find myself usually stopping cold and cutting it off. Sure, I've been annoyed by characters before but that's usually due to a certain character trait. I honestly, really don't like Kirino at all. I don't know what that means exactly, but I don't like not knowing either. This show hasn't done much of anything to resolve that either. I can sit here and point out her faults too, and how they came to be and why she's acting the way she is, but she's STILL acting that way, the faults aren't being worked on, and to be honest nothing's really changed.

I mean she blushed at the end of this episode.

That's it.

Sure there's meaning to it, but come on.

Old 2010-11-29, 17:52   Link #113
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Because in this episode we were back to Kirino basically ignoring Kyousuke much like episode 1 and getting mad at absolutely everything he did. It was almost as if they never became closer together at all, which means the last 8.5 episodes have been pointless.

Good points. I see what you meant here, now.
Old 2010-11-29, 18:08   Link #114
Clarste
Human

That's false. In episode 1 she was ignoring him, acting like he didn't exist. Now she's hitting him over perceived failings and arguing with him through a wall about how loudly she's enjoying her hobbies. That's completely different. I see their arguing as a sign that they're much more comfortable around each other than they used to be. Kirino's still pretty annoying for not appreciating him at all, but she's definitely developed their relationship over the series. Just not in a linear "tsundere" path.
Old 2010-11-29, 18:12   Link #115
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
See the irony?

Quote:
I had realized that the lines were similar, but you're right -- they're actually exactly the same. Clearly Kyousuke chose made the right choice. At least she didn't tell him that he's useless and should just die for not getting mad at her...
That would have been overkill I actually like how their conversation was setup. I found it particularly funny that this time, they kind of reversed roles in a sense if you noticed. When Kyousuke said "good night," it felt similar to when Kirino thanked Kyousuke way back in episode 3 I believe.

"I can't believe my older brother can be this cute!?" Eeeh!?

Quote:
But this isn't a pure comedy. There's a lot of drama in this.

Doing a joke that essentially is "Ha ha ha!!! Isn't it hilarious how tsun to the extreme our female lead is! And behold her getting a taste of poetic justice through her very own favorite past time! Ha ha ha!" kind of counteracts any desire to care about that character.

Like, if and when Kirino gets into trouble with her dad or Ayase or somebody else again, why should I care about her? The anime itself is going to great lengths to point out how nasty her behavior is. That kind of undermines any future drama that could depend on the viewer caring about Kirino.
Clannad had a lot of drama. Saying OreImo has a lot of drama might be a bit of a stretch in my opinion. This anime certainly does contain a bit of drama but to say it's a lot might be overstating it. While Kirino's development might not be subtle nor substantial, it can be said to be significant in terms of her relationship with Kyousuke. I can't argue that Kirino is selfish and stubborn but that's what makes her fun, at least to me. Her whole over-the-top attitude adds to the comedy along with the reactions from those around her. From my perspective, I believe some viewers might be taking her too serious.

I can understand why she might alienate the audience but there are those who like her for those very same reasons. Besides, she's not completely irrational. During some of the more dramatic moments, she seems to be slightly more reasonable.

I believe the real faults in this series lies more in the transition between comedy and drama rather than Kirino's development. This episode even asks the same questions that the audience does, teasing us even more. There's a method to their madness.

Quote:
What's the point of a wonderful set up if there's no payoff to it?
Because the payoff comes later. The relationship between Kyousuke and Kirino has been improving little by little (slapstick humor aside.) And having been shown nearly 100% tsun for so long will reward those who have been waiting for it. I personally like this take on it since showing her dere side is predictable for the most part. Every time we expect it, we end up disappointed. But at the end of it all, those that still like Kirino will be ecstatic

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2010-11-29 at 18:24.
Old 2010-11-29, 18:13   Link #116
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
That's false. In episode 1 she was ignoring him, acting like he didn't exist. Now she's hitting him over perceived failings and arguing with him through a wall about how loudly she's enjoying her hobbies. That's completely different. I see their arguing as a sign that they're much more comfortable around each other than they used to be. Kirino's still pretty annoying for not appreciating him at all, but she's definitely developed their relationship over the series. Just not in a linear "tsundere" path.
Kirino is opening herself more and more to Kyousuke, even shouting about the activity that she couldn't even tell one person at the very beginning. So the way she acts now is completely all thanks to Kyousuke, nice catch Clarste
Old 2010-11-29, 18:13   Link #117
Undertaker

Quote:
How so?

Probably should made myself clear, I'm talking about to the viewer, not toward Kyosuke.

I don't have problem with Kirino been 99% tsun and 1% dere, since that's what this whole series is about. Kyosuke thinks Kirino hates him, yet he still protects her because that's what a brother does, and that what you were taught in traditional Asian families values.

My problem with past couple episodes were more of that they took out the dere part of Kirino even when the situation doesn't involves Kyosuke directly, and fail to show how likable she could be.

Besides, her actions in this episode isn't completely out of context and illogical, compare to past 2 episodes.
Old 2010-11-29, 18:21   Link #118
iceyfw

i felt like this episode was stereotyping the hardcore japanese otakus who play eroge on their free time. other than that, this episode was amusing to say the least and /facepalm for kirino not realizing she was staring at herself in the monitor when playing the eroge.
Old 2010-11-29, 18:24   Link #119
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Then we are back to episode 2...

Because I also would expect to see some change in Kirno at this stage especially since series are almost over.

And argument behind the wall is more Kyousuke's development since before he didn't really bother with he either. But now he started to complain.
Old 2010-11-29, 18:26   Link #120
Clarste
Human

It's also her development in that she feels comfortable enough to be loud. Throughout the episode we could also see her putting up posters, having a mousepad, etc. Early in the series she was extremely paranoid about people discovering her hobby (her mother cleans her room, remember) and now she's pretty relaxed about it.
Closed Thread