Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-27, 09:17   Link #5221
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The pat-downs make some minor sense (though some have joked "first it was shoes off; now its pants off"). The second "sit down rule" is just bloody stupid and irrelevant - more security theatre. No potty breaks, eh? No more book reading? What about those damned magazines?
The third will likely be "Bend over, and spread those cheeks." I plan on doing more telephone calls and e-mail writing instead of using planes (and any other vehicles) unless 100% necessary should that ever happen. Unfortunately, there is no absolute foolproof way to detect these in advance - not unless you are going to toss away civil liberties completely. That could still happen.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2009-12-27, 14:07   Link #5222
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I keep saying, "look, just have us fly naked and drugged in little hotel capsules" -- I'll just ship everything I need.

OTOH... maybe I'll show you this finger and take a train. Oh snap, America doesn't really HAVE a passenger train system that works like the rest of the world does.

I'm trying to not even think about international travel... maybe if I drive to Canada first.... meh, our border guards are following insane policies, too.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-12-27 at 14:13. Reason: Teh Matrix haz cheezbergers...
Old 2009-12-27, 14:11   Link #5223
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

You're not crossing the Atlantic or Pacific on a train anyway. Which brings us back to my own personal preference (though that's more for ecology than counter-terrorism, and more for kicks than for ecology): sail boats. Hope you're not in a hurry.
Old 2009-12-27, 14:14   Link #5224
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
OTOH... maybe I'll show you this finger and take a train. Oh snap, America doesn't really HAVE a passenger train system that works like the rest of the world does.
Neither does Russia or Europe as far as I know (I am not sure if Eurotunnel counts), Usually countries or states with large land sizes run domestic airlines due to the extensive land coverage.

Quote:
I keep saying, "look, just have us fly naked and drugged in little hotel capsules" -- I'll just ship everything I need.
Great idea! We can make the capsules disposable and arm them with GPS guidance systems and parachutes so they home in onto the specific place we want to go!

Don't you want to feel like a PGM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
You're not crossing the Atlantic or Pacific on a train anyway. Which brings us back to my own personal preference (though that's more for ecology than counter-terrorism, and more for kicks than for ecology): sail boats. Hope you're not in a hurry.
Ever been in the middle of a sea on a ship broken down? It is more seasick inducing than being on a ship travelling at over 20 knots. I would prefer an airplane.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-12-27, 14:35   Link #5225
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Neither does Russia or Europe as far as I know (I am not sure if Eurotunnel counts), Usually countries or states with large land sizes run domestic airlines due to the extensive land coverage.
Eurorail would be fascinated to hear they don't exist.
Russian Railways also...
German, Italian, and Scandinavian rails are some of the finest in the world.

Then there's the Japan system of rail... http://www.japanrailpass.net/

And in India ... http://www.indianrail.gov.in/

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-12-27 at 15:16.
Old 2009-12-27, 14:36   Link #5226
mg1942

Quote:

Spoiler for speaking of trains...:

Last edited by mg1942; 2009-12-27 at 16:59.
Old 2009-12-27, 14:50   Link #5227
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Well there is Amtrak. Though it isn't exactly a good alternative to air travel. What the US needs is high speed cross country passenger rail service, but I doubt that'll happen and if it did it'd probably cost more than flying anyway.
Old 2009-12-27, 15:20   Link #5228
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Well there is Amtrak. Though it isn't exactly a good alternative to air travel. What the US needs is high speed cross country passenger rail service, but I doubt that'll happen and if it did it'd probably cost more than flying anyway.
The problem with Amtrak is that its ability to meet schedule and is utter lack of coverage. Because of lobbying - the Amtrak system can be interrupted at will by private freight trains (and lets remember who subsidized the building of the railways during the 19th-20th C.).
Old 2009-12-27, 17:27   Link #5229
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Spoiler for speaking of trains...:
With the help of Siemens Velaro technology.
It is just a matter of actual political willingness and price... the technology exists.
It is funny how only one of the pictures shows the actual Velaro CN (aka CRH 3) that travels at 350km/h (max.)
The japanese type bullet train (CRH 2) runs at 300km/h (max.)
Old 2009-12-27, 18:07   Link #5230
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
This says updated 30mins ago so it may just add to your previous posts...
Lengthy delays after jet bomb plot:

Quote:
Amid anxious scenes at the same US airport where a former London student allegedly tried to ignite his device on Christmas Day, a second Nigerian man was arrested on the same route on Sunday
If they couldn't screw us over with internet email scams I figure they just decide to make it worse for the rest of us
Quote:
n Britain, passengers waiting to fly to America for New Year were left waiting up to three-and-a-half hours while urgent investigation took place to find out how Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab - who was known to US and British authorities - was able to take explosives on board a transatlantic airliner carrying 278 passengers.

US President Barack Obama has ordered a fresh review of screening processes after it emerged authorities had been warned about Abdulmutallab's extremist views by his own millionaire father.
I figure they just let him walk on the plane for the money he has, seriously....
Increase of pressured air screening machines anyone within the US -.-
Is there time to still fly and visit the world before it becomes totally traumatic (even more) to pass through airport security?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2009-12-27, 21:40   Link #5231
LynnieS

Two passengers detained after flight to Phoenix [Arizona]
Quote:
PHOENIX – Two men thought to have been acting suspicious aboard a flight bound for Phoenix were detained and questioned by federal anti-terrorism authorities before they were released, the FBI said Sunday.
Apparently, the "evidence" used to convince the authorities to speak to these two - and just from one person on the plane - are:

1. They were seen acting weirdly and speaking loudly in a foreign language.
2. One person was watching what looks like a video of a "suicide bombing", but was actually the movie "The Kingdom".
3. One person got up while the "seat belt warning" sign was lit.

Hmm, airplane cabins are still very loud, and what is a normal speaking voice for one person can be a loud one for someone else. It also depends on how loud everyone else in the sitting area was.

As for #3, I had left my seat when the sign was lit as well to use the restroom, stretch my legs, and to get a drink from the flight attendants. How many people actually pay attention to that sign, esp. when there are those who immediately got up to get their carry-on's as soon as the plane touches down on the runway?

Old 2009-12-28, 01:46   Link #5232
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
Two passengers detained after flight to Phoenix [Arizona]
Apparently, the "evidence" used to convince the authorities to speak to these two - and just from one person on the plane - are:

1. They were seen acting weirdly and speaking loudly in a foreign language.
2. One person was watching what looks like a video of a "suicide bombing", but was actually the movie "The Kingdom".
3. One person got up while the "seat belt warning" sign was lit.

Hmm, airplane cabins are still very loud, and what is a normal speaking voice for one person can be a loud one for someone else. It also depends on how loud everyone else in the sitting area was.

As for #3, I had left my seat when the sign was lit as well to use the restroom, stretch my legs, and to get a drink from the flight attendants. How many people actually pay attention to that sign, esp. when there are those who immediately got up to get their carry-on's as soon as the plane touches down on the runway?
I believe this qualifies as the modern equivalent of "She's a witch!!! She turned me into a newt!!! ... ... ... ... um, yeah, it got better."
Old 2009-12-28, 04:58   Link #5233
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I believe this qualifies as the modern equivalent of "She's a witch!!! She turned me into a newt!!! ... ... ... ... um, yeah, it got better."
Modern witches don't turn people into newts. They claw people to death.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-12-28, 08:46   Link #5234
killer3000ad

Protests and clashes in Iran.

Looks like the Basij militia and police got caught by surprise, lots of vids of them getting swarmed and overpowered by the sheer number of protestors.

People swarm and pull police from their van->http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0b1_1261943462

Outnumbered and cornered riot police->http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d64_1261962049

Crowd sets fire to police bikes and beat up police->http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=906_1261936011

RUN FORREST!

Riot police feal the heat.

Amidst all the anger and hatred, some calm folk prevent the cornered riot police from being torn to pieces by the crowd.

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2009-12-29 at 06:53.
Old 2009-12-28, 10:31   Link #5235
Shadow Kira01

Japan, Russia agree to maintain constructive dialogue over territory

Quote:
Apparently with Medvedev's stance and Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama's eagerness to resolve the matter in mind, Okada told the press conference, ''Let's make use of the chance we have now and seek progress. We should not let this chance go by.''

But he admitted there are ''quite large'' differences in the two countries' views and that ''talks to bridge such differences have started.''
Quote:
The territorial dispute involving four Russian-administered islands -- Kunashiri, Etorofu, Shikotan and the Habomai islet group -- has prevented the two countries from signing a post-World War II peace treaty.

The islands off Hokkaido are known in Japan as the Northern Territories and in Russia as the Southern Kurils.
3 ruling parties agree to work out Futemma issue by May

Quote:
Hirano, who leads the consultation body, made the comments at a regular press conference after Hatoyama over the weekend called into question the feasibility of a transfer to the U.S. territory from a deterrence standpoint.

''I have no intention of ruling out the possibility (of relocating the Futemma facility to Guam) from the outset of our consultations,'' Hirano said, stressing the issue needs to be discussed in terms of maintaining the U.S. deterrence in the region.

During a recording for a radio program Saturday, Hatoyama said, ''I don't think it is possible to transfer all the functions at Futemma to Guam in terms of deterrence.''

But the Japanese leader said Sunday that Guam is ''one idea,'' slightly changing his stance, apparently out of consideration for the SDP, which has pushed for the Guam plan.
Quote:
Muneo Suzuki, head of the New Party Daichi and chairman of the House of Representatives' Foreign Affairs Committee, quoted Ozawa as saying to him, ''I will see what decision the prime minister's office will make, but the voices of people in Okinawa must be respected. Those blue waters should not be polluted.''
Old 2009-12-28, 11:12   Link #5236
LynnieS

China finds the likely tomb of third century general
Quote:
BEIJING – Chinese archaeologists have found what could be the tomb of Cao Cao, a skillful general and ruler in the 3rd century who was later depicted in popular folklore as the archetypal cunning politician.
On a lighter note, it looks like the tomb of Cao Cao (Chinese name of "曹操") who was one of the leaders during the Three Kingdoms era may have been found. It'll be very interesting if this was the real burial site and can help provide more info on the man himself.

Old 2009-12-28, 11:17   Link #5237
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
On a lighter note, it looks like the tomb of Cao Cao (Chinese name of "曹操") who was one of the leaders during the Three Kingdoms era may have been found. It'll be very interesting if this was the real burial site and can help provide more info on the man himself.
Holy shit! I hope if they confirm that it's really his tomb they'd open it to the public at some point. I'd love to see it!
Old 2009-12-28, 13:10   Link #5238
Cipher

Quote:
Wow. I've always been a fan of that story/game/myth/history/(what else?). my guess is he wasn't really the "genius mean leader" but a more benevolent one. that he wasn't really the antagonistic .
Old 2009-12-28, 13:44   Link #5239
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Wow. I've always been a fan of that story/game/myth/history/(what else?). my guess is he wasn't really the "genius mean leader" but a more benevolent one. that he wasn't really the antagonistic .
he was both.

Cao Cao was a very good ruler and the people in Wei prosper under his rule but he was ambitious and more then willing wash his hands in blood if he thought it was necessary.
Old 2009-12-28, 14:24   Link #5240
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
he was both.

Cao Cao was a very good ruler and the people in Wei prosper under his rule but he was ambitious and more then willing wash his hands in blood if he thought it was necessary.
He is amoral to anyone outside of his governance. If it wasn't for Zhuge Liang, he would have beaten Liu Bei and Sun Quan hands down and enslaved them.

According to the Three Kingdoms original novella, he buried the head of his enemy Guan Yu with the rites of a Marquis. If this is true, he certainly deserves his place in the history as the most cunning yet honorable politician amongst all.

OT : I kind of feel guilty swearing at my Chinese teacher 7 years back in school for teaching us these "irrelevant facts that has no pertaining use to our futures".

Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international