AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2010-06-12, 16:51   Link #1061
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Lawrence is wrapped around Holo's little finger (well when it comes to important things), I can't blame the guy at all. Besides, I think by the end of the series 2, he's got to the point where he has accepted and knows how he feels about Holo, he doesn't care anymore. Sometimes there can be all the niggles in the world, but if you know what's important to you, everything else pales in comparison
<Well almost haha>
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 21:16   Link #1062
BashZeStampeedo

Yeah, Amarti is written well enough to guarantee you'll hate him on some level. He contrasts in an epic way with Lawrence, so much so that I found it disconcerting that Horo didn't immediately leap into Lawrence's arms when that story-arc concluded (even the girl in my anime club who's most like Horo said she probably would have done so).

It amuses me that Lawrence, a guy that's slow on the uptake, was the one to figure things out and accept them before Horo did. Now she's stuck with him. Problem is, around someone like Horo all your worst character flaws are magnified tenfold.. it's a wonder Lawrence has survived this far, given that his worst traits include "selflessness". Horo still seems to think she can change that aspect of him or something, so I fancy his odds of surviving this story are pretty low.. especially given how he has a similar effect on Horo (though it's far less pronounced). But that's half the fun in the game of love isn't it?
BashZeStampeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 21:44   Link #1063
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

First to figure it out... mmm... maybe maybe not... they both seemed to have felt that spark relatively quickly (given the intimacy they were thrust into and their constant flirting... you do that degree of flirting with the same person, you're either gonna fall in love with each other, one of you is gonna get lovesick, or one of you is gonna weird out the other).
First to accept it... absolutely... he may be inept around a beautiful woman, but he does seem to be a hopeless romantic and his selflessness will do more to keep a relationship viable than all the money and cunning in the world... and of course, Holo is just plain stubborn and proud. I mean come on, falling for a mere human, what does that say of the name Wisewolf?
Old 2010-06-12, 23:12   Link #1064
BashZeStampeedo

I meant realizing and accepting that she's in love with HIM, actually.

Spoiler:

Last edited by BashZeStampeedo; 2010-06-14 at 08:28. Reason: Probably should use a spoiler tag, thanks Rajura!
BashZeStampeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 01:50   Link #1065
charizardpal
灼眼の

I just finished volume two in English. Took me all day to read it, and I've got to say that...
Spoiler for volume 2:

「心でなくちゃ、よく見えない。もののなかみは、目では見えない、ってこと。」
charizardpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 07:00   Link #1066
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Can't say I've read volume 4 yet, but I can believe it. Much as Holo is proud, intelligent and many other things all at once, she's also emotional and pretty complicated. Plus she's some form of spirit or god, with a lifespan of over five centuries as it stands, along with here streaks of loneliness, betrayal and abandonment,which means she's bound to have a few skeletons in the closet.
Much as Lawrence is relatively inept with woman, he doesn't have the same level of complications on his side and he's more sentimental and romantic at heart than most in his line of profession, it was likely always going to take Holo longer to accept everything.

I think she caught on to the way things were going and started to become more attached relatively early on herself, otherwise she wouldn't have been so hurt by Lawrence's initial reaction to her wolf form in Pazzio (which you can't entirely blame on Lawrence, much as he hated himself for it, based on his past experience), after all she had been experiencing that for hundreds of years. Even by the end of volume 2 there were been a few further points of emotional vulnerability, where Holo wanted to hear that she was important to him, regardless of anything everything else, just as a person. (The 'Who's name did you call?' scene being the most obvious, Holo's sudden loss of nerve, and then anger at his non-comittal answer being pretty telling)
Now, whether she admit that, or what it meant, to herself or not, it does show the relationship deepening, and from my estimates and memories, the end of volume 2 is probably a month to two months after they met at most. However even with these early steps, it only really sunk in for her later, both in terms of mutual feelings and also just how attached they both were to each other. Lawrence is sentimental and it still look him some time to recognise how he felt. Originally it was just a business and companionship agreement for both of them, but then it deepened as they came to appreciate and get to know the other.

I'm just forward to seeing it all mature and slowly resolve. We know she's finally said 'it' back to Lawrence from one of the recent Japanese releases, so there's no real danger on that side of things.
<Wish the translated volumes would get released faster, its going to be killer waiting for 12+ more novels at 6 months a pop>

In fact in a way, its kinda sweet and very human that the more intelligent and perceptive, supposedly more mature, much older character in the relationship, is also the one that takes longer to come to terms with everything!

@Charizardpal
Spoiler:

Last edited by tyranuus; 2010-06-13 at 08:01.
Old 2010-06-17, 03:07   Link #1067
SakuraAyanami
Skies Of Dawn

because vol 13 & 14 were mention it got me thinking that I have no idea of what happens after vol 7 I just completely forgot for some reason .__. and yet at the same time I remember that I read about it somewhere deep in this threat...
SakuraAyanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 08:12   Link #1068
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

My vol1 arrived today (a full month earlier than Amazon ETA!) but no original art dust jacket. Makes me sad.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 08:26   Link #1069
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
My vol1 arrived today (a full month earlier than Amazon ETA!) but no original art dust jacket. Makes me sad.

Yeah sorry to hear that... that offer was limited (grrrrrrrrr) and was available only through purchase of a particular issue of Yen's magazine (in an attempt to right their EPIC FAIL of a wrong), buying from specific online retailers such as Right Stuf (which only had the cover in limited supply as well), or winning Yen's weekly online contest a few months back. I was fortunate that RS still had it when I was able to finally order it!

Bottom line, I'm sorry you weren't able to get it, but they may re-release it in the manner they are doing them now fairly soon, so keep your eyes peeled. Also, I know it's mainly hardcore fans that'll have it and probably not be willing to relinquish it, but keep an eye out on ebay or amazon for individuals sellers who may have the dust jacketed version!
Old 2010-06-24, 20:28   Link #1070
SakuraAyanami
Skies Of Dawn

well for what I can see, Right Stuf still has the dust cover for vol. 1 because they haven't change the message about it:

"While supplies last, customers ordering this novel will receive both Spice and Wolf novel 1 and a limited-edition dust jacket, which features the original Japanese manga-style artwork!"

Then again I don't know how dedicated their html editor is to the page itself or if they plan to notify when their supply is out of stock.
Old 2010-06-25, 17:58   Link #1071
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraAyanami View Post
well for what I can see, Right Stuf still has the dust cover for vol. 1 because they haven't change the message about it:

"While supplies last, customers ordering this novel will receive both Spice and Wolf novel 1 and a limited-edition dust jacket, which features the original Japanese manga-style artwork!"

Then again I don't know how dedicated their html editor is to the page itself or if they plan to notify when their supply is out of stock.
Just email customer service... they got back right with me when I ordered mine way back when!
Old 2010-06-26, 07:34   Link #1072
SakuraAyanami
Skies Of Dawn

Well that's nice to know. I wonder why I didn't thought about it myself (hehe maybe because I rarely shop online).... Still, it would be nice that they edited the page itself if they don't have the merchandise anymore because for what I can see, the message about the dust cover its the same from the time I order the first volume way back in january
Old 2010-06-26, 19:48   Link #1073
Rajura

Well, good luck whatever you decide.

I know I'd buy a re-release that had the cover and DJ reversed... but then again, we've already beaten THAT topic into the ground!
Old 2010-06-27, 13:48   Link #1074
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Im sure you'll enjoy the contents regardless of the cover (hell I've got two copies one without and one with, and it doesnt change the book itself )
Old 2010-06-27, 21:08   Link #1075
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
Im sure you'll enjoy the contents regardless of the cover (hell I've got two copies one without and one with, and it doesnt change the book itself )
Let the "horse-whipping" begin! Hahahahahaha! I'm kidding of course, Tyr.

Tyr is right, don't let the lack of original art DJ stop you from getting it!
Old 2010-06-29, 22:23   Link #1076
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Latest release schedule for the light novel series:

Yen Press news and product link: http://yenpress.us/spice-and-wolf-novel/
Old 2010-06-30, 00:01   Link #1077
SakuraAyanami
Skies Of Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Latest release schedule for the light novel series:

Yen Press news and product link: http://yenpress.us/spice-and-wolf-novel/
well f... in other words we'll have to wait until June 2016 to reach vol 14 IF it does not get cancel........ just great
Old 2010-06-30, 00:28   Link #1078
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah... so far Yen has been reliable, but we've seen how that can change in the industry over a few years.
Old 2010-06-30, 06:19   Link #1079
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
yeah... so far Yen has been reliable, but we've seen how that can change in the industry over a few years.
Well, people who enjoy the story have just gotta continue to show there is a market for it. If sales remain strong and the reader base continues to grow, the Eng. ver. of the series should see it way through to the end.
Old 2010-06-30, 12:21   Link #1080
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraAyanami View Post
well f... in other words we'll have to wait until June 2016 to reach vol 14 IF it does not get cancel........ just great
Tell me about it, I sent a long email to hachette, yens parent company about this a few months ago. Gonna be a tough wait.

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen