AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 30 27.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 37 34.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 8.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-28, 11:22   Link #61
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Woland] View Post
07:04 ~ 07:08

Kiddy Grade reference? I don't remember exactly Lumiere's (the very first character, officially, voiced by Aya, when she was 14) catch-phrase but was something like that (something like "woman should behave elegantly" onnanokowa eleganto ni)
I think if anything that was a reference to the last episode with Maramite thing, and we'd stretching even for that.
Old 2007-05-28, 12:31   Link #62
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisu View Post
Wah, couldn't resist; had to download the raw.

The overall animation style is noticeably different from other episodes. At least in the beginning of the episode it seemed so. Like at 4:23, everyone doesn't look in their normal proportions... But it definitely gets better (or I got used to it) as the episode progressed.

Spoiler for Ep 8 stuff, just to be safe:
Actually, no.... it screams a typical piece of clothing worn by many japanese (like my wife who has a few, for example). It doesn't scream Ayu as such anymore than taiyaki screams Ayu. Many pieces of Lucky*Star scream "typical japanese daily living" ... just like most slice-of-life or other series set in recent Japan. Tsukasa has worn them before (in episode 2).

If people will watch the clothing and hairstyles (as they change) on the girls --- they're most all adapted from the manga. One of the nice touches of the manga (and the anime) is that the girls modify their hair and clothing to suit their whims.
Old 2007-05-28, 13:23   Link #63
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually, no.... it screams a typical piece of clothing worn by many japanese (like my wife who has a few, for example). It doesn't scream Ayu as such anymore than taiyaki screams Ayu. Many pieces of Lucky*Star scream "typical japanese daily living" ... just like most slice-of-life or other series set in recent Japan. Tsukasa has worn them before (in episode 2).

If people will watch the clothing and hairstyles (as they change) on the girls --- they're most all adapted from the manga. One of the nice touches of the manga (and the anime) is that the girls modify their hair and clothing to suit their whims.
Your forgetting the cardinal rule Vexx, everything is a reference to Kanon, Haruhi or another Kyoto Animation adaptation since nothing else is worthy (especially those common overalls, how dare they be compared to Ayu's ). Kyonani is not a mispelling of their nickname when swapping out Konami, but a reference to Kyon from Haruhi for example (Actually as a joke on that very idea I slipped an image of Kyon sitting on the steps in the one episode of Haruhi where he's watching the girls run into my sig. See if you can spot him). Does that make sense, no, does it have to, no. It's Kyoto Animation, they are never wrong.

In fact I just got wind that Kyoto Animation is doing a remake of Gunbuster since the previous one by Gainax was an embarassment. Now Kyoto Animation will do a Gunbuster that will put Gainax to shame and that is the reason behind the reference in episode 2.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-05-28 at 13:38.
Old 2007-05-28, 13:25   Link #64
archanfels

"As a tsundere you have to fashion twin-tail!"

Konata to Kagami, while crying and shaking her.

BEST. QUOTE. EVER

That scene almost made me spit drinks on my monitor, can't believe she said it, lol.

Truer words have never been spoken, my respect level for Konata skyrocketed.

Another scene made me lol in real life is the interaction between Kona and Kagamin when she got her postcard published on the magazine,

I swear everytime these two meet, it's comedy gold.

Everything else in this episode pales in comparison (well, the sports festival is fun, but too short), though the kyonani olympic game did make me feel all nostalgic.
Old 2007-05-28, 13:31   Link #65
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by archanfels View Post
"As a tsundere you have to fashion twin-tail!"

Konata to Kagami, while crying and shaking her.

BEST. QUOTE. EVER

That scene almost made me spit drinks on my monitor, can't believe she said it, lol.

Truer words have never been spoken, my respect level for Konata skyrocketed.

Another scene made me lol in real life is the interaction between Kona and Kagamin when she got her postcard published on the magazine,

I swear everytime these two meet, it's comedy gold.

Everything else in this episode pales in comparison (well, the sports festival is fun, but too short), though the kyonani olympic game did make me feel all nostalgic.
Look's like Konata's been paying as much attention to anime character designs as I have, because that is actually frighteningly true. Why is it that Tsundere characters often seem to have twintails? Is it that the two strands of hair symbolize the two parts of their personality maybe?
Old 2007-05-28, 14:08   Link #66
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I see someone forgot to take his prozac pills.

Don't forget the other cardinal rule of the animedom you so conveniently omitted, Kaioshin: even the Holy Bible, Odyssey and Gilgamesh's epic are Evangelion rip-offs. If you want to cheap shot, at least be witty, creative and fun with it, because so far, you sound like whatever you have accused Sugita to do (freak out, etc...).
Old 2007-05-28, 14:37   Link #67
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
07:04 ~ 07:08 Kiddy Grade reference? I don't remember exactly Lumiere's (the very first character, officially, voiced by Aya, when she was 14) catch-phrase but was something like that (something like "woman should behave elegantly" onnanokowa eleganto ni)
One of the Chinese subs has a note that what Aaya says here is exactly what she said to Eclair as Lumiere.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-28, 14:43   Link #68
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I see someone forgot to take his prozac pills.

Don't forget the other cardinal rule of the animedom you so conveniently omitted, Kaioshin: even the Holy Bible, Odyssey and Gilgamesh's epic are Evangelion rip-offs. If you want to cheap shot, at least be witty, creative and fun with it, because so far, you sound like whatever you have accused Sugita to do (freak out, etc...).
Now that's harsh, because I was trying to be witty, creative and fun with a lot of things, which is why I made the sig in the first place, to have fun with the scene. Look really closely and you will see Kyon sitting above the part where it says Kyonani. The last part was also just a joke and the icing was a sort of Chuck Norris Facts style overtone to the post (Not to mention playing along with Lucky Star's style of lampooning things). If that's just a cheap shot without trying to have fun with things, than I don't know what else I can do really.

@Kaoru: Sound's like one of those voice actor jokes like the one's they do in Super Robot Wars or the one episode of Hayate.
Old 2007-05-28, 15:27   Link #69
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I think if anything that was a reference to the last episode with Maramite thing, and we'd stretching even for that.
Yeah right, Marimite, it's so plain obvious that I don't know how I didn't noticed myself...

With this kind of reasoning you can fit in that reference nearly any series with an Ojō-sama in it. Do you have the slightest idea of what I was talking about? Of course not, but it's not that you have to reply to any single post in this sub-forum, for what I know there's no any kind of reward if you rech a certain quota of messages... (or I can't image of what burden forum like Shuffle or Nanoha are for AS admins ).

I checked the first episode of Kiddy Grade and, like Kaoru Chujo said, the phrase it's exactly the same for both Konata and Lumiere.
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7...8220620mc2.jpg
Old 2007-05-28, 15:45   Link #70
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Yeah right, Marimite, it's so plain obvious that I don't know how I didn't noticed myself...

With this kind of reasoning you can fit in that reference nearly any series with an Ojō-sama in it. Do you have the slightest idea of what I was talking about? Of course not, but it's not that you have to reply to any single post in this sub-forum, for what I know there's no any kind of reward if you rech a certain quota of messages... (or I can't image of what burden forum like Shuffle or Nanoha are for AS admins ).

I checked the first episode of Kiddy Grade and, like Kaoru Chujo said, the phrase it's exactly the same for both Konata and Lumiere.
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7...8220620mc2.jpg
I just thought they might be following up on Konata's attempt to impersonate a mature woman from last episode (Like having her imagine she's some sort of elegant and well-mannered woman when in reality we all know she is quite uncouth). Also, I usually go for the closest logical link and that's why I felt that the tie to last episodes mature Konata shouldn't be overlooked when examining this bit you brought up and that it could be a stretch given that Lucky Star has lose continuity. As for the line that was quoted, given the fact that's it's just a piece of dialogue that could be used anywhere, I felt that it was a loose link. The link between two episodes of a similiar anime is stronger than the link between two different characters voiced by the same actor. That's all. It could be neither, it could be one, it could be the other and for all we know it could even be a bit of both, a follow up to last episodes creepy mature Konata and a voice actor joke. There can be two in one jokes.
Old 2007-05-28, 16:55   Link #71
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Your forgetting the cardinal rule Vexx, everything is a reference to Kanon, Haruhi or another Kyoto Animation adaptation since nothing else is worthy (especially those common overalls, how dare they be compared to Ayu's ).
And you are forgetting anime rule #49!
Quote:
Kyonani is not a mispelling of their nickname when swapping out Konami, but a reference to Kyon from Haruhi for example
Nah, if you look at it like this: Kyo nani, then it could be Kyo what?
Quote:
Does that make sense, no, does it have to, no. It's Kyoto Animation, they are never wrong.
You did read the term you referred to, right? Here's another term I found on that page that I think that you overlooked. EDIT: If that is too harsh, how about this.
Quote:
In fact I just got wind that Kyoto Animation is doing a remake of Gunbuster since the previous one by Gainax was an embarassment. Now Kyoto Animation will do a Gunbuster that will put Gainax to shame and that is the reason behind the reference in episode 2.
Just quit while you're ahead and everything will be better.......

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2007-05-28 at 20:32.
Old 2007-05-28, 16:59   Link #72
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

It's a quote from Kiddy Grade, and from Aya herself, first and foremost. But I like the idea that it can link back to the feeling of the ojou-sama (Marimite) stuff from the last episode, too. It reminded me of that when I first heard it. I think we get a lot of such things in this show: there's a reference joke, but it has an aspect that makes it funny even if you don't get the reference. And finding ways to link the episodes and give some continuity is important, too, I think.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-28, 17:28   Link #73
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
And you are forgetting anime rule #49!
I'm forgetting that:

#49- Law of Female wrath- If a male character insults a female character, he will
get a mallet, shotgun, or tank blast, or if she is a character that can perform
magical feats, a fireball or whatever, to the head, body or whatever.

Old 2007-05-28, 17:33   Link #74
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
I'm forgetting that:

#49- Law of Female wrath- If a male character insults a female character, he will

haha! pure gold XD
you hide your jokes soo well they seem soo real...you admit it...you like to condem for the sake of condemning :3 and seen as you are enjoying this series which is produced by the bane company to your existance i think we are at a break through :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-28, 17:43   Link #75
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

@Kaioshin,

Yawn. Old. Stale. Not funny. Kind of like watching Lucky Channel over and over and over again, actually.

NEXT!!!
Old 2007-05-28, 17:52   Link #76
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
I'm forgetting that:

Not as such. It is written as: "If it is cute, don't question it."

Actually your rule is #7 with a corollary: "If said male is doing something perverted as he violates rule #7, the resulting female's wrath shall be doubled."

Old 2007-05-28, 18:05   Link #77
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Not as such. It is written as: "If it is cute, don't question it."

Actually your rule is #7 with a corollary: "If said male is doing something perverted as he violates rule #7, the resulting female's wrath shall be doubled."

Oh dear, that's a good rule actually. I think Rule #7 and Rule #49 work quite well together as usually the cute things are the most deadly (or I've been playing to many H- Strategy/RPG Games and RPG's from Square Enix). In fact in this one game.......
Old 2007-05-28, 19:16   Link #78
krln99

One of my favorite parts of this was the end part with the Hiiragi sisters where Tsukasa hypothetically imagines being the older sister, as if it makes her automatically the smarter one!
Old 2007-05-28, 19:24   Link #79
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by krln99 View Post
One of my favorite parts of this was the end part with the Hiiragi sisters where Tsukasa hypothetically imagines being the older sister, as if it makes her automatically the smarter one!
Oh thanks, I was wondering why would Kagami call her sister "Oneesan".
Old 2007-05-28, 19:42   Link #80
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I love that part with Tsukasa imagining herself the onee-san. Funny and deep and gives such a sisterly feeling. What if....

And I just checked "Current Anime" for the total number of posts in the AnimeSuki Lucky Star forums: it has now surpassed the total number in the Death Note forums (5524 to 5501 when I checked). And Death Note is a popular show that had a six-month head start.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-05-28 at 20:44.
Closed Thread