AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Old 2013-04-28, 15:07   Link #1201
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Hey look:

Pixiv: Gargantia Anime Character Design Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiv
Starting April 26th, pixiv is hosting the official Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet character design contest!
We’re looking for your original design of a character that could be on the crew of Gargantia!

【Contest Period】
Friday, April 26th 2013 to Monday, May 12th 2013 23:59 Japan Standard Time

【How to Enter】
(1) Design a character that could be a possible crew member of Gargantia.
(2) Upload it to pixiv with the red illustration tag below.
Illustration Tag: ガルガンティア乗組員

【Submission Format】
There are no format restrictions.

【Selection Process】
Entries will undergo a strict judging process by the director, Kazuya Murata, and the Gargantia animation staff before declaring winners.

The winning entry will have their character featured in the last episode of the Gargantia anime and also awarded with official Gargantia merchandise.
Anyone interested?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 18:08   Link #1202
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well I guess this means the Gargantia won't be completely destroyed and sunk and everyone dies.

That's a relief...

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 19:44   Link #1203
zztop

Oh, thats cool!

Just some questions:
1)Do the rules specify any limit on how many design submissions a single user can submit for the competition?

2)Do the designs need to be coloured? Do I need to provide any explanations for my designs?

3)Has anyone here used pixiv before? How do I upload something to pixiv with a specific illustration tag? I already have a pixiv account, and have uploaded a piece of Rurouni Kenshin fanart, but I'm not sure how to tag it so the wider Japanese audience can gain access to it.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 19:55   Link #1204
Mangaka-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Oh, thats cool!

Just some questions:
1)Do the rules specify any limit on how many design submissions a single user can submit for the competition?

2)Do the designs need to be coloured? Do I need to provide any explanations for my designs?

3)Has anyone here used pixiv before? How do I upload something to pixiv with a specific illustration tag? I already have a pixiv account, and have uploaded a piece of Rurouni Kenshin fanart, but I'm not sure how to tag it so the wider Japanese audience can gain access to it.
I can't help with the first question, since I don't know Japanese, but I don't think the designs have to be colored, and any description would help I'd think. However, I don't know if the judges will actually look at English language entries. The pessimistic little voice in me thinks just because they have an English version of the contest rules doesn't mean the organizers will go to the trouble of getting foreign language entries translated.

As for the illustration tag, the best way is to just copy paste the ガルガンティア乗組員 tag into your list of tags when you submit the illustration. I think it's a lot easier for Japanese fans to find fanart of the series they're interested in if your tags are in Japanese, since that's the language they'll do their searches in. If you don't know the Japanese name of a series I'd look it up on Wikipedia and copy/paste in the Japanese title in the tags list. Another good idea is to look at what kind of tags other fanartists have used for a series. For example, some pairings have specific tags on Pixiv, and if you have a fanart of that specific pairing it makes it easier for people to find your work if you also use the correct pairings tag.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 21:17   Link #1205
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangaka-chan View Post
I can't help with the first question, since I don't know Japanese, but I don't think the designs have to be colored, and any description would help I'd think. However, I don't know if the judges will actually look at English language entries. The pessimistic little voice in me thinks just because they have an English version of the contest rules doesn't mean the organizers will go to the trouble of getting foreign language entries translated.

As for the illustration tag, the best way is to just copy paste the ガルガンティア乗組員 tag into your list of tags when you submit the illustration. I think it's a lot easier for Japanese fans to find fanart of the series they're interested in if your tags are in Japanese, since that's the language they'll do their searches in. If you don't know the Japanese name of a series I'd look it up on Wikipedia and copy/paste in the Japanese title in the tags list. Another good idea is to look at what kind of tags other fanartists have used for a series. For example, some pairings have specific tags on Pixiv, and if you have a fanart of that specific pairing it makes it easier for people to find your work if you also use the correct pairings tag.
Thank you so much!

Will anyone be attempting to submit anything for the contest?

Although I'm unsure what kind of character designs are more eye-catching to the Japanese. Something typically cute/handsome/boyish? Or something more sexy/motherly/experienced?
Old 2013-04-28, 21:38   Link #1206
FateAnomaly

This is unexpected. I actually find this to be very interesting although the mecha design is a little not to my taste.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 20:54   Link #1207
zztop

Do you think an English-language dub of Gargantia will ever be produced?

If it were, my opinion is that the English dub would have to go that extra step to fit the movie like quality of the presentation.
I think one way could be to dub the Gargantia flotilla residents so that they speak in a variety of accents.(ie, A has a South African accent, B has a US Midwest accent, etc)
It would give a sort of diversity amongst the crew and establish them as a multiethnic group of survivors banding together on a flooded Earth. Nothing broad and ridiculous, but subdued and believable, like accomplished European actors speaking English.
This would be in contrast to Alliance characters who speak in a calm, logical BBC-meets-Spock English to further show the difference between the 2 cultures.

What do you think? Feel free to comment.
Old 2013-05-01, 22:38   Link #1208
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Do you think an English-language dub of Gargantia will ever be produced?

If it were, my opinion is that the English dub would have to go that extra step to fit the movie like quality of the presentation.
I think one way could be to dub the Gargantia flotilla residents so that they speak in a variety of accents.(ie, A has a South African accent, B has a US Midwest accent, etc)
It would give a sort of diversity amongst the crew and establish them as a multiethnic group of survivors banding together on a flooded Earth. Nothing broad and ridiculous, but subdued and believable, like accomplished European actors speaking English.
This would be in contrast to Alliance characters who speak in a calm, logical BBC-meets-Spock English to further show the difference between the 2 cultures.

What do you think? Feel free to comment.
Sounds like an interesting plan. That said, what are Gargantia's prospects of getting licensed and dubbed?
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 21:05   Link #1209
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Sounds like an interesting plan. That said, what are Gargantia's prospects of getting licensed and dubbed?
Bandai Visual.
SolarAquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 23:03   Link #1210
whitecloud

Well who knows if the ending is, ledo deciding not to leave gargantia and stay with Amy....

Cue 20 years later...girl/boy A (insert your design here) talking to Amy's daughter or son while ledo is working, happy family scene...with bevel in the background
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 03:48   Link #1211
EmagEvil

Just wondering if some1 mentionned about it, what if... Ledo catch a cold?

I mean, in most SF's stories, people who live in space or capsuled cities didn't have anymore immunity against virus or bacteries since their air is sterilised, so what will happen if Ledo catch a cold? It might even kill him since he should have any immunity...
EmagEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 08:43   Link #1212
zztop

I would humbly like to ask for this forum's assistance once more if it is not too much trouble, in regards to:

http://gargantia.jp/#kaito_2
The above interview link has 2 images of Avalon, the Alliance space colony, as introduced in episode 1 of Gargantia.

The 2 diagrams are labelled in Japanese, but I am unable to read Japanese. I would like to inquire what the Japanese notes in the diagrams say in English, as I am curious as to Avalon's construction and components.

PS. Scroll down to find images.

Animesuki also drew attention to a spin-off Gargantia novel, which says it covers Ledo's army life.
http://gargantia.jp/#kaito_2

I would like to inquire what the novel is about, if it is alright with you.

Thank you very much.
Old 2013-05-06, 09:16   Link #1213
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Edit: Check the Technology thread for discussion and translation regarding Avalon.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 13:29   Link #1214
Kirarakim

Interview with the director

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...rdurous-planet
Old 2013-05-17, 04:11   Link #1215
Helius

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/ne...yed-by-1-month

Better a delay than poor quality, I suppose.

I'm looking forward to the OVA, though. Anybody know what "Haikyo Sendan" means?
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 09:22   Link #1216
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/ne...yed-by-1-month

Better a delay than poor quality, I suppose.

I'm looking forward to the OVA, though. Anybody know what "Haikyo Sendan" means?
The OVA episode title is "Abandoned Fleet Ruins". It's a reference to the phantom ship ruins they encounter in the episode. It's going to be about Amy and her friends teaching kids about their job, and also about a phantom ship ghost story which is going around, with the Gargantia eventually encountering the ship ruins. It's set during the series, so maybe between ep4 and 5.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 23:40   Link #1217
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Just marathoned eps 1 to 6. This is the Vandread anime that I've wanted to watch all these years. A sci-fi epic about a character stuck in a strange land. I am in such a happy place right now.

It's really a shame that the majority of anime out now are light novel adaptations. There's been a real deficit in original anime content for a long time, so it's great that something like Gargantia comes out every so often. And because they don't have to adapt anything, the pacing and flow is very, very good. As expected of anime originally meant to be anime.

I feel young again.
Old 2013-05-18, 02:10   Link #1218
takai
Easy Muffin

I just picked up the series a few days ago. I'm really liking it. At some points this has the quality of a Ghibli movie, and it looks gorgeous. I'm liking most of the characters for the most part, my only issue is that some episodes can be a bit boring because nothing really happens at times. Given, this is more of an "everyday" anime since Ledo is trying to fit in everyday life there. So for the most part, I'll let it slide.

I'm looking forward to the romance aspect of it too. Of course, we can all already tell who's going to be paired with who, it'll just be interesting to see how they play out.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 08:57   Link #1219
zztop

Another new story's up on the Gargantia website, featuring Captain Rackage and her crew!
http://gargantia.jp/#novel

An English translation of this new installment would be very much appreciated.
Old 2013-05-20, 23:11   Link #1220
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Oh wow. Hanaharu's Shoujo Material hit over 1 million sales.
Which is rather unthinkable for a single adult manga tankoubon.

I am, of course, a proud owner of the book since the very first print.

Too bad Hanaharu will probably never return to ero after his successful entry into the mainstream...
But on the positive side, I absolutely love his artwork, and looking forward to his career in animation character designs!

Tags
action, harem, mecha, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, urobuchi