AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-06-13, 22:13   Link #1
NeoChan
Banned

Good AVI/MKV to mp4 Converter

I'm just curious what subbers use in converting video files to MP4 in a smaller size (50-75mb) while the quality is still preserve. Can anyone reveal the secret please....
NeoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 10:13   Link #2
sneaker

x264 and maybe some strong denoising.
HandBrake is currently the simplest solution.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 06:03   Link #3
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

free studio manager is the best video converter for me, it not only only converts video files to Mp4 format ,but many other Formats, you can even convert a video to Mp3 file(just audio),and sometimes when i convert a video file to Mp4 format, the size doesn't decreases it sometimes may increase and the quality is great
Old 2012-06-22, 22:54   Link #4
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
x264 and maybe some strong denoising.
HandBrake is currently the simplest solution.
I find Handbarke's conversion unstable. I tried to put limitation on the file sizes like 60mb (similar details like the ones I download) but there are times the output exceeds 70 mb. What am I'm doing wrong?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 10:40   Link #5
sneaker

x264's (the built in video encoder) rate control is usually pretty accurate. Look what happens to the sound format and any attached fonts if you keep mkv and soft-subs.
Old 2012-07-30, 03:23   Link #6
NoemiChan
Banned

I use HANDBRAKE . I have a MKV video to convert to MP4. The MKV has a subbed in it. When I converted it to MP4, it completely disappeared! what to do? please...
Old 2012-07-30, 03:31   Link #7
sneaker

Open the mkv in handbrake, go to the "subtitles" tab, select the subtitle from the drop-down list, click "burned in" and then "add".
Old 2012-07-30, 04:43   Link #8
NoemiChan
Banned

The subs still aren't there. Guess the converting process deleted the subs.

Again. I have a MKV where the subs could be or could be hide if desired. I wish the file to be converted to MP4 but right after, the subs aren't there anymore. IS there a way the subs could be saved and kept in the MP4 after conversion??

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-07-30 at 05:30.
Old 2012-07-30, 11:09   Link #9
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Try WinAvi

WinAvi is the converter i use.It supports almost all popular format conversions. It can convert video files, audio files,dvd files etc. It is very simple to use. To solve the subtitles problem: make sure the subtitles file has the same name as the video file. You do not need to add it along with the video file. Just leave it in the same folder as the video file with the same name and convert it.

http://winavi.com/all-in-one-converter/index.htm

That is the link to download it.

To elaborate on how to get subtitles with video, use this link http://winavi.com/all-in-one-converter/support.htm

Hope it helped.
Midnight2352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 12:53   Link #10
sneaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
The subs still aren't there. Guess the converting process deleted the subs.

Again. I have a MKV where the subs could be or could be hide if desired. I wish the file to be converted to MP4 but right after, the subs aren't there anymore. IS there a way the subs could be saved and kept in the MP4 after conversion??
"Burned-in" means hard-subbing the subtitles into the video track. You don't see a separate track in any player anymore but the subtitles should be there. If you don't want to hard-sub, don't tick "burned-in".

For fast remuxing this is pretty handy and keeps the subtitles selectable. But the styles are lost (ASS styling not supported by mp4 players) and 10 bit h.264 will not run on any hardware players, even when remuxed to mp4 container.
Old 2012-07-31, 07:07   Link #11
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Free
xvid4psp, I use it all the time for my PSP,Xbox, DVD use that turns .Mkv into Mp4. Its really user friendly, and has ton of options for optimal performance.

if you want to Hard Sub, while keeping the fonts and everything
use version 5.10, cos +6.0 does not support hard subtitle encoding. Just extract the .ass file from the Mkv and add important it into the program once you open up the mkv.

if you want the best peformace with tons of options use the latest full version 6.0.4 which can be fond in the developers site

Pay

AVS Video Converter
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 11:06   Link #12
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

For me, Handbrake offers one of the simplest solutions around. I use it for most everything (typically 8-bit .mkv files), although a special nightly build of Handbrake is required to convert those sparkly new 10-bit .mkv files into .mp4s
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 12:15   Link #13
sneaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
although a special nightly build of Handbrake is required to convert those sparkly new 10-bit .mkv files into .mp4s
10 bit decoding has since become part of the stable builds.
Old 2012-08-27, 12:39   Link #14
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
10 bit decoding has since become part of the stable builds.
That's good to know. The last I checked, it was somewhere back in March, and I've been stupidly busy since then. Do you know if the latest versions support hard-subbing? I've read in places that versions 6.0 and later don't support it or something, and other claims suggesting that it can. Any clarifications would be appreciated
Old 2012-08-27, 13:38   Link #15
sneaker

Hard-subbing is still supported, but AVI output support was dropped some time ago.
Old 2012-08-27, 17:30   Link #16
NoemiChan
Banned

Guys, have more info about MKV Converter Studio? The trial version was amazing but the "free" ones doesn't work! I find it the only one that converts MKV to mp4 that "really" hardsubs the subtitle out within the MkV automatically...
Old 2012-08-28, 10:37   Link #17
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Guys, have more info about MKV Converter Studio? The trial version was amazing but the "free" ones doesn't work! I find it the only one that converts MKV to mp4 that "really" hardsubs the subtitle out within the MkV automatically...
nothing beats free and open source solutions to media encoding (video/audio)... you just have to take some time to learn them... even in fansubbing world you wont find any fansub encoder using paid softwares
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 10:54   Link #18
sneaker

And most of the paid stuff is just using open source software like x264 and ffmpeg anyways...
Old 2012-08-28, 17:56   Link #19
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
What do you mean by "doesn't work"? In Handbrake, there is an option to softsub or hardsub the subtitle files in. It's free, and it works.
Old 2012-08-28, 18:24   Link #20
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
What do you mean by "doesn't work"? In Handbrake, there is an option to softsub or hardsub the subtitle files in. It's free, and it works.
Please instruct me hows its done coz I tried once but didn't...