Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-06, 14:35   Link #781
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I'm more amused that it got its own forum before the first episode started and the thread got enough topics per episode to deserve a separate forum. Guess now if someone asks for a separate forum and a moderator says they need to wait and see if there is enough discussion, we can point at this.
It's not really about precedent. Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis, based on factors discussed among the staff. In some cases, we will still want to wait and see if there's enough discussion, or if it's the right kind of discussion, or a whole lot of other things. Whining that "but SAO got a forum..." is not going to be an argument in anyone's favour.
Old 2012-07-06, 14:38   Link #782
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
I'm more amused that it got its own forum before the first episode started and the thread got enough topics per episode to deserve a separate forum. Guess now if someone asks for a separate forum and a moderator says they need to wait and see if there is enough discussion, we can point at this.
Well the show is very heavily promoted to begin with, and the moderators' like all fans are subject to the hype... that's not necessarily a bad thing. Also shows that have a very dedicated fanbase are better of with distributing the conversation over several threads, instead of bloating one.
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 18:13   Link #783
Iron Maw
Banned

Well damn, a sub-forum and before first episode has even aired. I guess this a new record or something.

In anycase I'll probably avoided getting too hyped for this, it isn't the second coming or anything. But I have a feeling I'll probably enjoy it a lot more than Accel World from same author at least.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 22:35   Link #784
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
Ah, well that is interesting. I wasn't aware of that particular model of doing things. Did it have any particular length originally or was the web version not organized the same way?
Yea, Kawahara originally wrote SAO back in 2002, he tried to get it published but was rejected, so he continued to write and publish it on his own blog as a web novel. It wasn't until after Accel World that his publisher decided to publish SAO as well.

The 14~ish volume were estimates based on the amount of materials in the original web novel, as it wasn't put out as individual volumes. The rewrite so far have not really changed the length of the story, but apparently that's about to change with vol.10 and beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
Indeed, that would be quite a lot, though I can't recall any anime based on a novel that has ever followed the series to its conclusion. Usually, they end up either just ending with no end in sight or making significant changes.
Shakugan no Shana, Zero no Tsukaima, Toradora, Katanagatari, and the Monogatari series all have (or will) follow the novels to the end.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 22:45   Link #785
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Considering this thread already has more posts than several shows from last season ....

Really, though, given how many people have already read the novels, a subforum was inevitable just so there's someplace for spoiler discussions without cluttering the novel thread. I've been cringing for the last two months every time the conversation drifts towards discussion of the plot arcs and overall structure of the series.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 23:01   Link #786
lansglenn

Based on some people's reactions to the previews, I'm super scared the anime will f up the story =(

*holds breath*
lansglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-06, 23:07   Link #787
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Holy crapcrapcrapcrapcrap.

After reading most of novel volume 1, I am so psyched for this series. I really hope they do animate chapter 16 loyal to the novels. Big romance buff here.

My blurb on the subject over in the light novel thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Shakugan no Shana, Zero no Tsukaima, Toradora, Katanagatari, and the Monogatari series all have (or will) follow the novels to the end.
And Toaru Majutsu no Index will probably be another, especially considering it's from the company beind Shana and ZnT.
Old 2012-07-06, 23:24   Link #788
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Don't worry Shinji, I only came across SAO about two weeks ago and had the same feelings when I finished the first volume.

Pretty psyched myself. I think there is still at least ten hours until it airs.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 00:05   Link #789
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
24/26 episodes. Speculated we'll see volumes 1-4 animated.

Half a season to volumes 1 & 2 (SAO arc) and 3 & 4 (ALF arc).

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 01:41   Link #790
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Yea, Kawahara originally wrote SAO back in 2002, he tried to get it published but was rejected, so he continued to write and publish it on his own blog as a web novel. It wasn't until after Accel World that his publisher decided to publish SAO as well.

The 14~ish volume were estimates based on the amount of materials in the original web novel, as it wasn't put out as individual volumes. The rewrite so far have not really changed the length of the story, but apparently that's about to change with vol.10 and beyond.

Interesting, considering the positive reactions I've seen towards it from those who have read it (haven't gotten to it myself quite yet as I'm reading another novel currently).

Well, hopefully it will be changes that work. I like the mention by several people that he seems to believe in Earn Your Happy Ending.

Are those first two good examples though? Shana ended up doing so, but did change quite a bit if I recall. ZnT has pretty much always butchered the story and character development in favor of fanservice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansglenn View Post
Based on some people's reactions to the previews, I'm super scared the anime will f up the story =(

*holds breath*
That's a bit worrying, though wasn't it said that the previews were not necessarily a final version?

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 03:22   Link #791
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Worth getting. Seriously, if there were english versions available legit, i would buy them in a heartbeat.

Note that i am a Malaysian, and our national hat is not paying for whatever we can pirate.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 05:31   Link #792
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansglenn View Post

*holds breath*
When you say "previews", are you referring to the PVs (trailers), or the pre-screening of episode 1 and the first 10 minutes of episode 2? If it's the former, the reactions were actually quite positive. And as for the latter, the reactions were also positive; it's just that the version of the episode 2 that they saw wasn't the final one. Plus, as I've said many times before, Kawahara attended almost all of the script meetings; there's no way he'd allow the anime "f up" his story.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 05:39   Link #793
Kikuichimonji

If Kawahara attended the sessions then I'm quite happy. One of my greatest fears of this anime was the studio destroying the story lol. Now I'm really excited since this has to be one of the best light novels I've come upon. Now, if they changed the animation to resemble the light novels, I'd be extra happy lol.
Kikuichimonji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 07:34   Link #794
lansglenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
When you say "previews", are you referring to the PVs (trailers), or the pre-screening of episode 1 and the first 10 minutes of episode 2? If it's the former, the reactions were actually quite positive. And as for the latter, the reactions were also positive; it's just that the version of the episode 2 that they saw wasn't the final one. Plus, as I've said many times before, Kawahara attended almost all of the script meetings; there's no way he'd allow the anime "f up" his story.
I meant to say the pre-screening instead of preview. Only a few more hours until the moment of truth, so I'll just keep the reasons for concerns to myself.

Aside from a faithful rendition of the story being important, I think in order for anime/manga storytelling to progress in the future we need these non-standard tales to set as examples. It would be an awful shame if bad reception impeded in the further development of these more-believable (more relateable?) approaches to romance, and in modern settings like MMORPGs/virtual-reality.
lansglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 08:56   Link #795
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuichimonji View Post
If Kawahara attended the sessions then I'm quite happy. One of my greatest fears of this anime was the studio destroying the story lol.
But then again, I recall Noboru Yamaguchi was involved with the production of ZnT and approved of all the changes.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 09:05   Link #796
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Yeah, but Reki Kawahara isn't Noboru Yamaguchi.

ZnT: Tsundere, physical abuse, status quo resetting never stops.

SAO: Love. Awesome. Badass. Partners. A love that works because they work at it.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 13:39   Link #797
kokolores

Well, I'd say this was a great start to what might be an awesome series. Usually I'm not a fan of light novel adaptations, because the anime rarely does the original justice. However, unlike many of the epic failures like ZnT or SnS SAO is a novel which I believe is very well suited for an anime adaptation. The stories are quite short and contained within themselves and the author writes in an episodic style.

What will make or break this series is how far they want to go. I think the best would be if both seasons were about SAO Aincrad and if they finished with volume one.
kokolores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 16:02   Link #798
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It's not really about precedent. Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis, based on factors discussed among the staff. In some cases, we will still want to wait and see if there's enough discussion, or if it's the right kind of discussion, or a whole lot of other things. Whining that "but SAO got a forum..." is not going to be an argument in anyone's favour.
Hmm~
Well, doesn't matter to me much. I usually never ask or want sub-forums anyways. I'm not gonna ask about what "factors", because that is always something you can come up with afterwards and I wouldn't know you did so.
Just first time I saw this type of incident, so I was amused by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Considering this thread already has more posts than several shows from last season ....
It happens.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 21:46   Link #799
flack

Man Loved the first episode. I have a feelin this is going to be one of those rare animes.
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 00:25   Link #800
relentlessflame

*Administrator

By the way, I moved 44 posts from this thread -- that consisted of basically nothing but novel readers speculating on how the anime would adapt the novel -- to the Spoiler & Speculation thread. Please keep those topics out of this thread.

Tags
action, romance, shounen