Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2011-11-24, 05:08   Link #101
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
MoboPlayer for Android can do software decoding of Hi10P.
Old 2011-11-24, 05:12   Link #102
sneaker

I stand corrected, though I have serious doubts about the usefulness of pure software decoding on a mobile phone, whose CPU probably can't keep up with any of those common 720p releases, or even 420p releases for that matter.
Old 2011-11-24, 05:29   Link #103
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

How about the upcoming Galaxy Nexus that have 1.2 Ghz dual-core chip?
Is that still not enough yet?
Old 2011-11-24, 07:17   Link #104
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
I'd wait for Tegra 3 phones and tablets before shoving 720p anime on them.
Old 2011-11-24, 12:40   Link #105
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
MoboPlayer for Android can do software decoding of Hi10P.
I don't think you've understood just how abysmally slow ARM chips really are. An 1-1.5GHz ARM CPU really doesn't get you anywhere meaningful, dual core or no dual core. Tegra 3 won't really be much better either. "zOMG QUAD CORE CPU" and the fact that it actually has SIMD instructions now (whoa!) still doesn't mean it's actually capable of doing any serious computation work.

With libavcodec's software decoding you might be able to playback 320x240 hi10p at 15 fps, if you have a really beefy phone.

edit: got a friend with a galaxy s2 to try that player. result: it decodes 10-bit as 8-bit, with the resulting artifacts.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2011-11-25 at 05:20.
Old 2011-12-01, 20:21   Link #106
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Also, libavcodec still has no NEON assembly for 10-bit.
Old 2012-01-27, 23:17   Link #107
slj777

Im using a Compaq with the E-350 in it. I installed CCCP 11-11 and 10 bit plays nice and clear in MPC. Only problem is there is no Hardware acceleration going on and cpu is 100%. Playback is very choppy. What do I need to change to get Hardware acceleration back? It works fine with MPC using its internal filters but I cannot play HI10 that way.
Old 2012-01-28, 00:10   Link #108
olifee

Quote:
Originally Posted by slj777 View Post
Im using a Compaq with the E-350 in it. I installed CCCP 11-11 and 10 bit plays nice and clear in MPC. Only problem is there is no Hardware acceleration going on and cpu is 100%. Playback is very choppy. What do I need to change to get Hardware acceleration back? It works fine with MPC using its internal filters but I cannot play HI10 that way.
There is still no hardware-decoding for Hi10P in consumer devices that I know of.

If 8 bit video was fluent with some CPU-reserve before, I guess the group encoded without reducing bitrate when switching from 8 bit to 10 bit.

If you try to keep the quality constant, bitrate (and thus filesize) should decrease a lot, so processing power should nearly stay constant. Most groups I saw though tried to "keep filesize" and rather improve quality, thus increasing decoding CPU-load by a high amount.

Your options are:
  • choose a group that does encodes in 8 bit
  • choose a 720p release
  • buy something new
  • reencode everything beforehand on a fast machine

It is very unlikely that something on the 'native' side is changing, nVidia told me in their forums that their decoding chips might not even have the capability to do 10 bit. I guess it will be similar for ATI/AMD then.
Intel QuickSync, which is (still) pretty new, also does not seem to be capable of decoding 10 bit.
A CUDA-based solution might be something worthwile, but I do not know enough about it to judge on quality and achievable speed. But it would not help you, I guess.

Personally, this led me to buy a HTPC with a GT430 and an i7 to make use of the pixel shaders for upscaling and decode on the CPU. 8 bit can still be HW-accelerated on dGPU (nVidia) / iGPU (Intel) then to conserve power.

you can also check out this thread:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=108162
There is some advice (and there are some links to even more advice ) specifically for a setup like yours.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-01-28 at 15:07.
Old 2012-01-28, 02:00   Link #109
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by slj777 View Post
There is no hardware support for Hi10p (and there probably won't ever be). You'll have to make do with xvid/8-bit x264 encodes; although I suppose you could try the CoreAVC or LAV decoders to see if you get a lower CPU usage than with ffdshow-mt.

--edit--

More useful advice: It seems that 0utf0xZer0 has a laptop with an E-350 in it and seems to have had some luck with LAV - at least for 720p videos. You'll also probably want to install a more efficient version of VSFilter (e.g. xy-vsfilter) to save a few more %'s of your processing power.

Last edited by Fahd; 2012-01-28 at 02:55.