AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-23, 14:33   Link #101
martino
makes no files now

Episode 18 was hilarious. All personalities in one episode...somehow I though that it would be impossible to happen. Poor Shiratori...
Old 2006-10-23, 14:59   Link #102
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
That was quite funny;
"Boku...."
hmmm...since when do girls use boku???
Its actually quite common now amongst japanese school age girls who want to appear more assertive and independent. A class of them visited my son's JP language class last fall, wearing their school uniforms just as short as possible and "boku" flying hither and yon (( I thought my son's teacher was going to have a coronary, between the skirts and the casual language ... she's a "country girl from Osaka" where they wore skirts more like you see in Totoro or in Kamichu! and she very much the "watashi/atashi" type).

Yeah, ep 18 is quite a roller coaster of Kozue....
Old 2006-10-25, 10:45   Link #103
martino
makes no files now

Big shocker...Sayako actually isn't completely useless! She plays a violin and comes from a stinkin' rich family. I had my mouth open for about a minute in that scene...
Old 2006-10-25, 12:01   Link #104
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is the arena where I really wish they'd license the manga --- Sayako, Momo, and several other characters have very rich stories of their own which the anime has to cut short due to time constraints. Also as you approach the climax of the series, realize that the manga was still in progress while this was airing --- but they did a remarkable job of creating an ending which doesn't completely stray from the progress of the manga.

If you can read japanese at all (or find the scanlations) give the manga a look. The anime is great but the manga goes even further.
Old 2006-10-25, 14:20   Link #105
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
...If you can read Japanese at all (or find the scanlations) give the manga a look. The anime is great but the manga goes even further.
Thanks for the reminder. I loved Momo's backstory in the manga, for example. But I haven't looked at further developments since the time just after the anime aired.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 15:30   Link #106
martino
makes no files now

It's strange but they ventured into Sayako's story quite late. And I still haven't seen a story of Haibara/Johnny...
Old 2006-10-25, 16:49   Link #107
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Big shocker...Sayako actually isn't completely useless! She plays a violin and comes from a stinkin' rich family. I had my mouth open for about a minute in that scene...
This is funny because I am showing this series to a friend of mine and we just got up to that episode this weekend. He was also gaping at the concept that Sayoko had a skill other than sleeping and stealing food.

Actually, I think that one of the main themes of this show was summed up very well by Tsubasa in episode 19 when he said that everyone has two sides to them. While that scene seemed like silliness it was extremely relevant to Mahoraba. It was very surprising to see Sayoko's other side.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 17:00   Link #108
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Actually, I think that one of the main themes of this show was summed up very well by Tsubasa in episode 19 when he said that everyone has two sides to them. While that scene seemed like silliness it was extremely relevant to Mahoraba. It was very surprising to see Sayoko's other side.
Indeed, its just a shame that the anime didn't show much more of Momono's side. There's a hell of a lot more to her (as Manga readers would know) that i wouldn't mind seeing animated.
Old 2006-10-25, 17:26   Link #109
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Indeed, its just a shame that the anime didn't show much more of Momono's side. There's a hell of a lot more to her (as Manga readers would know) that i wouldn't mind seeing animated.
I think there was a generally toning-down of things like that. They also replaced the nail-studded baseball bat with a megaphone and Sayoko hides under the floor instead of trying to hang herself.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 17:36   Link #110
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye... our puppeteer's backstory doesn't happen until the last volume and its just about my favorite -- again unfortunately the anime doesn't address that. However, the anime is so well structured and ends in such a way that a second season would be easily slipped into. Sadly, I suspect based on the merchandising that Mahoraba wasn't financially successful enough to warrant a second season, but I've been wrong too many times on those kind of guesses.

I'm still kind of amazed I'm holding R1 copies of the anime Kamichu! or the anime/manga of Tsukuyomi in my hands.
Old 2006-10-25, 18:06   Link #111
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I don't mind a second season, that would be fantastic indeed. ^_^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 19:25   Link #112
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca View Post
I don't mind a second season, that would be fantastic indeed. ^_^
Ill second that...Ive never read the manga but the anime was a wonderfully fun bit of animation thats for sure. All the characters where enjoyable and had depth to them. Shame if it wasnt as popular as it should have been...
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 13:22   Link #113
martino
makes no files now

I'd love a second season as well ...maybe
I didn't even get to see Kozue-chan and Ryuushi kiss(something that I was avaiting the entire time, damn Tamami!!! *shows signs of anger*) ...maybe
Well, I finished it yesterday as you might have guessed and I think that this was one of the best series I have ever watched ...maybe
The characters are just amazing! I just don't get it how someone could come up with such ingenious(and cute!) characters ...maybe
Now I will feel sad that I won't see more of Mahoraba, and it's not my habit to rewatch a series ...maybe

It's hard for me to say who was my favourite Kozue's personality. In particular I really liked Saki(and her girly side), Natsume(she was soooooo cute when blushing and the "kamo" at the end of each sentence just made my day) and Nanako who was just generally cute since she was the only personality that willingly launched herself onto Ryuushi(making him blush terribly) ...maybe
Chiyuri was the weakest personality imo, I didn't hate her, but I didn't really like her either ...maybe

This is actually the first series that has inspired me to take a closer look into avatar making...
Old 2006-10-26, 16:59   Link #114
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Hehe am I the only one that find Chiyuri personality very interesting? She's like the reflection of Kozue, very genki, akarui and nuku nuku... but going the WRONG WAY!!! xD

And when Kozue become Chiyuri, she seemed to be having so much fun and alive. ^_^
Old 2006-10-26, 18:18   Link #115
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I guess I just kind of take Chiyuri as sort of an abusive personality --- none of the characters enjoys her "corrections" outside of Tanami. Again, the manga kind of fills her personality out so her motivations are better understood -- but until I read it I didn't care for her at all. As always, YMMV.

For me, Saki was much more "fun and alive"
Old 2006-10-26, 18:36   Link #116
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
For me, Saki was much more "fun and alive"
Yup I feel about the same. ^^ Saki and Chiyuri is what Kozue would be like if she feel more freedom as a person. When she doesn't care about what other people think. Just live life as she feels like it. ^^ Which I think it's a good thing for Kozue to be able to do that. ^_^

Altho I like Chiyuri better because she's great combi with Tamami. xD

Chiyuri and Tamami's Correct Talk

Last edited by Secca; 2006-10-26 at 21:36.
Old 2006-10-26, 21:59   Link #117
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca View Post
Yup I feel about the same. ^^ Saki and Chiyuri is what Kozue would be like if she feel more freedom as a person. When she doesn't care about what other people think. Just live life as she feels like it. ^^ Which I think it's a good thing for Kozue to be able to do that. ^_^

Altho I like Chiyuri better because she's great combi with Tamami. xD
Indeed. Chiyuri is just a good time waiting to happen. And, if it weren't for her, we wouldn't have gotten Ryuuko, and Ryuuko was awesome.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 09:02   Link #118
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Finally got myself up and around to watching this. Overall - i am very impressed. This can be considered a little gem among the mases. It handles it's cast very well, and the characters are surprisingly well fleshed out - something i didn't expect at the beginning. Though Haibara did get the shaft - i assume there is more to his story than we got to see.

They could have done something more with Momo's story as well - an interesting issue was raised concerning the situation with her boyfriend, but it almost felt like an episodic adventure - the issue gets dropped and forgotten after the story has been told, with no lasting effects. (Where does she get the money from anyway ? 0_o)

Sayoko's/Asami's story was pretty touching and has a lot more to it than i originally thought - i always wandered why she was so ...indifferent(?) towards life, even though she has a daughter to take care of... one of the reasons she slept so much was, probably, because she wanted to run away from the reality and the pain caused by her lover's death. Sayakos mother is a milf

Tamami...ouch - now this was a creature i couldn't stand. If they intended to make her annoying and dislikable - congratulations, it worked perfectly. By the end of ep8 or so she was clawing at the very ceiling of my tolerance, and i simply wanted her to fall in to a pit. Maybe that is why the episodes 16-19 or so seemed like the worst of the lot for me - they were fairly focused on her, and i was at a state of mind where i rather saw her going instead of coming.

Talk about psychological problems - she needs to get over her dependency complex and obsession complex towards Kozue and find some more friends or something to do. Her life evolves around Kozue to unhealthy levels. At least she was smart enough in the end to realize how stupid and selfish she has been, and that she cared for herself in the first place, not Kozue. In short - i hate her guts.

Kozue was an interesting character, and in the end her different personalities were there for a reason. Though i think they should have expanded a bit more on this.

The personality that didn't make much sense for me, and whom i better saw walking instead of coming was Chiyuri. Seriously... what is the reason behind her? I guess i can understand why the other personalities were the way they were, but this one... *Le sigh* - i just didn't care about her at all. All the other personalities were interesting in their own way, but this one was just annoying.

Speaking of which - ep3 and appearance of Nanako had me in stitches each and every time when she was staring at Shiratori with a blank face and making that weird, buzzing sound

The personality i enjoyed the most was Natsume - i wish we had seen some more of her. (Gee... no wonder she didn't talk at first before Shiratori came - the whole mob was nothing short of stalking her, and making hell of a lot of noise while they were at it... i just kept thinking: "Who would want to talk to any of you in the first place ")

That said... overall we got to see less of the other personalities than i expected - after they introduced the first two i though we would see them popping up each and every episode, but that wasn't the case at all. (Shiratori's influence? Momo mentioned that she was even thinking for a while that maybe it was ok... perhaps with gradually getting closer to Shiratori, Kozue felt less of a need to "escape" from reality frequently).

The character that amused me the most - the occult club president. Good grief, she was simply hilarious She cracked me up every single time, and the VA was perfect for the job. I wanted to see more of her.

Shiratori himself... well, i will be honest - at times i felt almost annoyed by his lack of a backbone. Like the matter concerning the drinking in his apartment - sheesh, he needs to learn to say no. (Or to be a little mean in Tamamo's case...she seriously deserved a slap for how she treated Shiratori...or a visit to psychiatrist ...or preferably both).

I will give him credit though that he didn't stutter when confronted about his feelings for Kozue. And in the end he was the one who managed to break trough her shell.

What left me disappointed was the ending though - one thing i hate the most is an inconclusive ending when it comes to romance animes. And while we know where the relationship is going, and that it is a matter of time... seriously - would it kill them to include a kiss scene ? Heck... a confession would be enough for me. (Although we did get something half-similar to that on the train). Argh... if there is no 2nd season planned, then i consider this a weak ending for the romance part of the story.

Overall - quite impressive indeed. 8.8/10

...any one care to spoil how it ends in the manga ?
Old 2007-04-15, 09:17   Link #119
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

@Skyfall: Go...Read...Scanlations... NAO ! >___<

Seriously, don't ask to be spoiled, because it's much more satisfying when you read it yourself. All I'll say is, the manga gave each of the main characters a excellent closure, even Haibara (his backstory was revealed).

p.s. Say, from your comments here and on Fumio in the Karin thread, are you heading towards the anime milf route now? :3
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 09:26   Link #120
JarOfMayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
...any one care to spoil how it ends in the manga ?
Nope.

Well if you look up the Manga thread its pretty much implied, but if your a fan of the work its worthwhile to finish it for yourself. Completing the manga should complete the images of the characters you felt were somewhat lacking and weren't touched upon enough. Some characters are entirely dependent on the dilemma that the Kozue problem stems from and creates.
JarOfMayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen