AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-04, 02:50   Link #141
MatriXX
Sho' nuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
Speaking of FMP light novels, TokyoPop has put them on hold. Big shame because the 4th novel had a release date at December, but never came. Really got on my nerves as I can no longer read FMP .
I felt the same about Kino no Tabi, Gosick and Karin.

It's also one of the reasons why I'm learning Japanese.
Once I get obsessed with a series, it just drives me crazy that I can't finish it.
Old 2009-04-04, 12:42   Link #142
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

In fairness to TP, Kino no Tabi is out of their hands. The issues they're facing come from the japanese publisher, not from TP. It's not a case of they won't publish it, but that they can't.

That said TP is dying, almost all of their LN line up has been put on hold (effectively canceled) as has a vast majority o their manga. THey're facing huge losses, and TBH i think they'll either die of within the next year or so, or be bought out by another compan

I know several other publishers have been trying to get TP to sell some of their canceled and held series
Old 2009-04-04, 12:59   Link #143
alamarco
Why hello there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatriXX View Post
I felt the same about Kino no Tabi, Gosick and Karin.

It's also one of the reasons why I'm learning Japanese.
Once I get obsessed with a series, it just drives me crazy that I can't finish it.
I'm with you on that one, I hate not being able to complete a series. If I dislike it I have to finish it.

Maybe once I'm done school I'll try to find a tutor. How are you learning the language, through a tutor, a course?

@Tiamat's Disciple: It would be nice if companies would give up their cancelled/put on hold series, but that would be rare to see. It's a capitalist world and they wont be giving up a product so another company would benefit. Unless they actually do go under, I don't think we'll see them give up any of their titles.
Old 2009-04-04, 17:37   Link #144
MatriXX
Sho' nuff

Quote:
I'm with you on that one, I hate not being able to complete a series. If I dislike it I have to finish it.

Maybe once I'm done school I'll try to find a tutor. How are you learning the language, through a tutor, a course?

@Tiamat's Disciple: It would be nice if companies would give up their cancelled/put on hold series, but that would be rare to see. It's a capitalist world and they wont be giving up a product so another company would benefit. Unless they actually do go under, I don't think we'll see them give up any of their titles.
This is what I've been doing:

Using Heisig - Learning the Kanji for kanji, obviously. Very helpful so far. Already learned hiragana + katakana just by drilling it for about a week.

For grammar, I use this site:

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/

If I need help reading a certain kanji, I'll write it in IME pad and input the kanji here: http://www.saiga-jp.com/kanji_dictionary.html

I read raw manga and watch raw anime for practice.

Once I start college, I'll be taking classes. I'm hoping to major in Japanese.
Old 2009-04-04, 21:38   Link #145
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:

Even if they go under their licenses will just end up in limbo and be a pain to get sorted. Happened a few times already. Would be better for them (as in better for fans) to be absorbed by another publisher, which would give a semblance of hope for a rerelease.

I also can't see them giving up the licenses for the LN's either TBH. They claimed Scrapped Princess was canceld for lack of sales, but thats different to what i was told by a rep. He claimed it was pulled to cut costs, much like most of their line up. Sure it was't raking in the cash, but they were doing better than average apparently.

Sad thing is they cancelled all those titles to cut costs, but in doing so alienated a huge chunk of fandom. I know a load of people who refuse to buy TP titles at all anymore in protest over it.
Old 2009-04-05, 04:18   Link #146
alamarco
Why hello there!

@MatriXX: Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. Good luck on the rest of your studies, it's amazing how it only took you about a week.

@Tiamat's Disciple: I wont be one of the ones avoiding TokyoPop. I'll still be buying the Fate/stay night manga, and I really hope they don't cancel that. If they do, that may well be the last straw. The Full Metal Panic light novels were the first I got from TokyoPop, so I guess one mistake I can forgive.
Old 2009-04-05, 07:23   Link #147
KimmyChan

There's only one Tokyopop series that I'm bothering to read & buy lately - V.B. Rose
Closed Thread