AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: How should I experience Neon Genesis Evangelion?
Watch the original TV animation. 14 93.33%
Watch the rebuild films. 0 0%
Neither... read the manga instead. 0 0%
Neither, Evangelion is overrated. Watch *insert title here* instead. 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-02-21, 22:11   Link #1
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Original TV Series or Rebuild?

I'm starting to go back through the anime catalogue that's been determined "must-see" or "essential" and try and watch everything that I've missed. I plan on broadening my horizons.

Currently, I'm watching Cowboy Bebop and it's fantastic. Seriously, how did I miss this? It's got me wondering, what else have I missed?

The next series I've decided to start is Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I have a dilemma. Do I stick with the original TV series or experience the story through the rebuild films, ie. 1.11, 2.22, 3.33 & FINAL.

There are some benefits to choosing the TV series; It's the original animation, and it feels more "classic." When everyone votes for "the best anime of all-time" and they include Neon Genesis Evangelion, they are doing so based on this series and not the rebuild. However, it's much longer- and I've heard it looses it's way near the end.

The films, on the other hands, condense the story into a much smaller amount of time. The animation is vastly improved, but it feels "new." It doesn't have that 90's charm. I am also worried that they may not go into the "End of Evangelion" territory... which is, honestly, why I am most looking forward to this series. The film "End of Evangelion", from what I've heard, is mind-blowing.

So, what are your thoughts?
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 22:35   Link #2
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Go with the original TV series then End of Evangelion (don't bother with Death&Rebirth), and then the Rebuild films. That's the top recommended order as far as I know. The TV series ending was kind of okay IMO, but it wasn't a satisfying conclusion for many. That's what End of Evangelion is for, but I'd say watch the TV ending too just for lulz anyway (no, seriously).
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 23:07   Link #3
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Watch all of NGE, including the last two episodes. Then watch EoE, and if you're still confused about the TV ending, watch it again. Then skip Rebuild since it's a piece of crap (But you probably won't, but then this would be the spot to watch it).
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 23:33   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Like previous posters here, I suggest you to watch the TV series first, skip the Death & Re-Birth movie (since it’s a time-waster recap), and go straight to End of Evangelion movie.

Let me warn you though, Evangelion is a gloomy show. It’s not meant to entertain the audience with eyecandy visuals, wall-to-wall mecha action, or super-badass characters. The story is both solid with some subtlety in it. Still, if you’re used to cool MCs like Spike Spiegel, you might dislike (or outright hate) the MC in Evangelion, Shinji, which many people described as “super EMO”, “wimpy” and a “wuss” at least on the superficial level. I actually one few who don’t hate him since I know his reasoning & where he’s coming from.

The Rebuild movies are optional. The first two (1.11 & 2.22) are pretty enjoyable short popcorn-version of the original Evangelion with decent enough story and plenty eyecandy & fanservice (for Evangelion’s standards). But the third movie (3.33) is a royal mess IMO. I want to elaborate more, but I’m afraid it will spoil you.
Old 2014-02-22, 00:18   Link #5
kitten320

As someone who just recently watched TV series, can't say I was impressed and feel like watching movies in hopes that I might like series better...

Static shots is just one of the issues I had with TV series. You literally have a frozen frame for a minute and sometimes have to wonder if your computer froze.

P.. Do still have to see The End of Evangelion
Old 2014-02-22, 00:27   Link #6
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Watch the series. You don't need to watch any of those movies but if you like the series, finish it off with EoE. If you don't like the series, the movies aren't gonna matter. Rebuild just doesn't add anything besides nice art.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 03:20   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I generally agree that one should watch everything, with Death & Rebirth highly optional, and with the order of TV->EoE->Rebuild. I'm not a fan of the latest Rebuild movie but the earlier ones do have some interesting moments and outstanding visuals.

I would say this - the TV series is the essential Eva experience, if you're going to watch only one. It's a show that fundamentally changed anime, and deservedly so. It's definitely a divisive series, and the ending is divisive among those that love Eva - many prefer EoE, but I strongly believe the TV ending (don't believe the haters - judge for yourself) is superior in every respect.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 07:44   Link #8
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
Watch all... original is better start with TV show

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
NervZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 08:44   Link #9
-Antares-
Nope.
*Fansubber

Definitely go with the original TV series. The Rebuild movies are really nice, but the ones that stick closer to the original story lose a lot of characterization because of the shorter runtime and they've gone in a totally different direction now anyway. Regardless of whether or not that direction is good, you really just can't view Rebuild as a shorter replacement for the TV series. With your motivations for wanting to watch Evangelion in the first place, it's definitely the TV series you want. That's what people are referring to when they talk about Eva as a classic.

You people don't actually talk to each other, do you? No way you could be this dysfunctional as a team and contradict each other if you did. Power trips not appreciated regardless.
-Antares- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 09:24   Link #10
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Start with the original series. Then watch End of Evangelion. If you want to get fancy you could watch End of Evangelion before the last two episodes, or even watch End halfway through and then the last two episodes and then the second half of End, as it is my opinion that the last two episodes take place during End of Evangelion. However just watching Eva and then End should be enough.

I would also not underrate the ending of the original. Yes, as the infamous Shinji rant from the dub says, they did indeed "run out of ink" in addition to becoming very abstract. However it was the last two episodes of Eva that made the show a masterpiece and gave it the influence it has had. A flawed masterpiece, but a masterpiece still. End of Eva just restored the external plot that contains the internal drama of the final two episodes, thereby making it more comprehensible and digestible.

If you really are that concerned about animation you could watch Rebuild I which closely follows the first six episodes of the series. There are some differences due to compression, and the supporting characters of Shinji's friends are horribly underserved. In addition there are some plot relevant differences that will be confusing later in the series. However, I actually felt they handled Shinji's angst much better in Rebuild I as opposed to episodes 3 and 4 which felt a little off key in the series.

The rest of the Rebuild movies are far inferior to the original series. Rebuild II could best be called a "hot mess" with a lot of flash, but I perceive it be incomprehensible to those who have not seen the original series. Rebuild III had symbolic power but lost both the plot and had highly out of character actions.

More detailed criticism of Rebuild II here. To sum up: "Almost as disappointing as the Star Wars prequels."

Personally I am becoming more and more convinced that Rebuild is not a retelling of the original series, but yet again a story that takes place during the final two episodes of the original series. Just as Angelic Days and other spin offs also take place during those final two episodes. (This should begin to give you an idea of the mental density of the final two episodes).

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2014-02-22 at 14:27.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-22, 12:45   Link #11
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Wow, I didn't expect so many thoughtful replies! Thank-you to everyone who made a suggestion and explained their reasonings. I'm definitely going to stick with the original TV animation and follow it by watching End of Evangelion. It makes the most sense, like AHH said, because of my motivations on wanting to experience Neon Genesis Evangelion.
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote