AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-27, 02:10   Link #941
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
btw I think Ginko is prolly the most laid back person evar.
he's just soooo "chill"
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-30, 16:41   Link #942
ellifeedn
Thinker

The episode with the cocoons (17 I think), what happened at the end?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-30, 16:46   Link #943
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
The episode with the cocoons (17 I think), what happened at the end?
Spoiler:
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-30, 21:24   Link #944
ellifeedn
Thinker

Spoiler:
Old 2008-10-30, 22:26   Link #945
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2008-10-31, 07:00   Link #946
Much Obliged

Hi there. I thought people might be interested (or maybe not!) to know that there's an animation for Ally Kerr's new single ‘Amorino‘. Like ‘The Sore Feet Song’ (the opening theme to Mushishi), it's acoustic and really rather beautiful. Thanks.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S1RxfjvN8eU&fmt=18
Much Obliged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 13:14   Link #947
Alliriyan

Heya

In May 09 I might be cosplaying Tanyuu at the London expo.
And because I'm learning Chinese I'm thinking of covering myself in calligraphy so I can cosplay a true 'scribe' moment.
Any thoughts?
Alliriyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 15:46   Link #948
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliriyan View Post
Heya

In May 09 I might be cosplaying Tanyuu at the London expo.
And because I'm learning Chinese I'm thinking of covering myself in calligraphy so I can cosplay a true 'scribe' moment.
Any thoughts?
No thoughts but PICS PLZ when u get it done lol
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 22:00   Link #949
ellifeedn
Thinker

^Will you have a charcoal black leg?
Old 2008-11-04, 22:06   Link #950
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Well aside painting it black you must also train yourself in keeping that foot completely still as to complete the illusion.

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2008-11-07 at 16:06.
Old 2008-11-06, 19:23   Link #951
Alliriyan

uuuum think I'll just wear a black sock! Try and put a little tabi dent in it for the flipflops, try to keep it simple. My other costume will be Zelos Wilder, and I'm trying to do it really well for multiple uses. So the main budget for Tanyuu is the robes and a suitable pen haha!

The inkstains on my hands all week would not be so good on my face...: S

And yes - could you get two more different people? XD
Alliriyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 00:59   Link #952
ellifeedn
Thinker

After rewatching episode 20, I was thinking that Ginko and Tanyuu make a good pair and I would certainly love to see her travel with him.
Old 2008-12-25, 03:19   Link #953
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

quick question is there a real end to the novel/manga, i finished the anime btw
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 00:23   Link #954
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
quick question is there a real end to the novel/manga, i finished the anime btw
Well I unfortunately can not find the last chapter translated anywhere, however there is a two parter where...

Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2009-09-29, 22:46   Link #955
BashZeStampeedo

My, but that was a lovely anime. I can't quite pinpoint what makes it work so well, but my best guess is that it was designed with a minimalistic eye. Everything seemed distilled to it's very essence; a brilliant way to tell a story about an essense of life we don't know about. The music, the art direction, the stories, and the themes were all exceptionally well done (for my tastes).

Watching Mushishi was a real treat for me because it felt emotionally cathartic. The anime brought a unique sense of nostalgia to me. It bordered on the feeling you get when you can almost remember something from your childhood; something that feels like it is very important for you to remember. At times it almost felt like I was a child again listening to my mother or father read a fairy tale to me.

I think perhaps it gave me those impressions because it threw me back to one of my earliest childhood memories: watching the (New) Littlest Hobo. I was so young I can only vaguely remember that show and how much I loved it. I guess Ginko felt quite a bit like the german shepherd London. It was nice to relive those memories.

I'd been looking for this kind of story; something you might want to marathon, but force yourself to watch periodically to get the best results. I'll have to read the manga however, the anime ultimately did little to sate my curiosity. There are too many questions, and very few answers.

Last edited by BashZeStampeedo; 2009-10-01 at 20:47.
BashZeStampeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 08:41   Link #956
Divaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for How she got the letter:

Pure speculation
Divaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 23:38   Link #957
CoolKidsClub

good anime...but the ending was kinda..eh.....i think i need the manga ending
CoolKidsClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 04:32   Link #958
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolKidsClub View Post
good anime...but the ending was kinda..eh.....i think i need the manga ending
The TV series doesn't have an ending. What we see at the end of episode 26, is the same to what we've see at the end of each episode. The stories carries on.
Old 2009-12-20, 13:47   Link #959
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divaa View Post
Spoiler for How she got the letter:
Pure speculation
While it's usually silly to reply toa two-month-old post that is itself a reply to nine-month-old post, I thought I'd just chime in with a few inputs on Ep17 while this thread remains somewhat fresh.

Within the episode itself, there's fairly clear evidence to suggest that it was one of Aya's many letters that finally led her sister out of the Uroana: Ito-chan was seen carrying that letter in her kimono when she burst out of the silk cocoon. So, it's not so much "pure speculation" as it is conjecture based on pretty strong proof.

What interests me more, though, is the heartachingly beautiful layering of metaphors and themes in this episode. As with almost every other episode of Mushishi, there's usually a hidden story running beneath the surface plot, a more fundamental tale about the human condition and life in general that's encapsulated in the symbols of each episode.

With respect to Ep17, the deeper meaning lies in the connection between two individuals, as symbolised by the fragile thread that connects each pair of uro-san cocoons. The mushishi rely on these paired devices to communicate across great distances, vaguely aware that the letters pass through an infinite space to get to them. They don't know how the mechanism works, and are only vaguely cognizant of the minor miracle of receiving near-instant mail.

The uro-san cocoons must work in pairs. Without at least two connected cocoons, the mail system cannot work. And, yet, as with all things in nature, the connection between them is not meant to last — the tunnel through space-time would eventually collapse, and the paired cocoons would become useless, separated forever.

When the worldly-wise Ginko told the heartbroken Aya to give up her search for Ito, it's more than likely that he was thinking about the inevitable fate of paired uro-san cocoons. Given the odds, there was supposed to have been no realistic chance of Ito ever coming back to the real world. And, as a hardened realist, Ginko did not believe in miracles; he was fairly certain that Aya's hopes were in vain, hence his advice to her to "close the hole in her heart".

For once, and thankfully not for the first and only time, it's nice to see that he was wrong. Ginko had underestimated the strength of the emotional bond between a pair of identical twins — a bond that does not collapse the way an uro-san's tunnel does. Aya's thoughts and heartfelt concerns spanned across infinite space to reach Ito through this bond, not unlike the way a tiny scrap of paper reaches a mushishi through an invisible thread across vast emptiness.

In sharp contrast to the handling uro-san — where one must be careful never to open or close the pathway to an empty space — humans will always have a need for definitive closure. The human heart cannot long endure an emptiness that has no end — not without deep, abiding faith. So long as Aya believed, with all her heart, that her sister was still alive, then her connection to Ito would remain intact. They were inseparable twins; if the bond between them were to be severed, neither of them could truly be "alive" any more. Neither of them would be able to truly "function".

Not unlike a pair of broken uro-san cocoons.

I like Ep17, unlike many earlier viewers. It's a heartfelt tale that reinforces a simple parable: Where there's life, there's hope. The human heart, for once, proved stronger than the mysterious workings of a mushi.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 14:05   Link #960
Kirarakim

Episode 17 is one of my favorite episodes as well. The idea of losing someone who is literally your other half is heart breaking. And while she did find her sister in the end I always felt it was one of the sadder endings because while time moved on for the one twin, time stopped for the other twin. Thus they probably can never regain that connection they once had. At least that was my interpretation of the final scene.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural