AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2012-05-07, 17:54   Link #1101
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
When you put up motion sensors, you kinda put yourself a step above everyone else.
Talking out of a hunch here, but those motion sensors might have been the portable kind.
Old 2012-05-07, 18:09   Link #1102
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Yeah, but we wouldn't call the smoker a delinquent.
But you wouldn't think an underage smoker in high school was the shining paragon of a student either.

Which is what he's supposed to be.

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 19:41   Link #1103
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I thought that guy was smoking weed..would've rofl'd.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 19:43   Link #1104
rulfo

I dunno about you guys... I can totally relate to this since back in High School I almost got suspended for underage drinking within the school premise.

Surely even though I wasn't maintaining any high reputations but that'll still reflect on my records if I got suspended.

I guess empathy on this situation really depends on the culture of a person whether they were raised on a very liberated environment or a very conservative one.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 20:31   Link #1105
jimjimex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Yeah, but we wouldn't call the smoker a delinquent.
My sister attended a Catholic all girls High School with rich tradition and reputation.

Whenever she was in her school uniform, she could not even EAT when:
1. walking;
2. inside a moving vehicle;
3. outdoors.

Even after school!

Even out of school ground!!

That's right, there are schools with strict rules for real!!!
jimjimex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 20:58   Link #1106
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

The curious case of Houtarou Oreki

I want to bring back some of Director Yasuhiro Takemoto's comment about this series, and what he thought about adapting Hyou-ka into an anime
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
He said it was difficult to make it into an anime, but he feels he's done a good job.
Looking at this episode, I feel that not only had he (and the staff) done a good job, but I honestly believe they made excellent improvements on the series when compared with the original novel.

I guess it should go without saying at this point, but I remain impressed with the visual aspect of this anime, not only in terms of the animation and attention to details (or how funny it is ... I seriously laughed when Chitanda got out of the classroom with Ibara only for her to come back again to get him (an old joke, but still fun to watch ), or how when Houtarou realized he was about to get dragged around to search the entire student campus ), but how well the art manages to deliver important clues about the cast and their personalities as well as allows us to learn more about them via showing, not telling. It's incredible just how good this episode had been at giving a lot of important information and clarification about our leads, to the point where I was left having to rearrange my earlier impressions about both Houtarou and Eru.

I suppose that if I was going to talk about the visuals, I should start with how much we got to learn as well as understand about Houtarou himself. I think that Acejem was right in saying that Houtarou energy saving mode is more of a facade than anything else, since his reasons for refusing to help Eru were more out of realization that this isn't something that anyone can really take on lightly, as well as him helping her along at the end. In a lot of ways, I'm reminded of Claude from Ikoku Meiro no Croisée, since both of them have a certain loner aura, but without the anti-social mindset and they certainly are crude and a little unintentionally callous but are deep down actually very considerate and caring (as well as having a conscience, going by how unsettled he was when Eru brought up the Secret Club thing, since he did trick her and felt rather bad when should took it as a sign of his intelligence). Of course, there is an area that makes Houtarou more interesting (and likable) and that is how we get to see how his mind works and how does he view the world.

I didn't really understand what was the point of having Houtarou experience these ''alternate reality scenes'' in the past two episodes other than perhaps to give the animators some differing scenes to experiment on, but in here I get what they were gunning for. The reason of having Houtarou thinking about the events he sees in such a manner isn't only to make impressive looking scenes, it's to also make us understand how exactly does someone like Houtarou who isn't really all that intelligent could manage to solve these puzzles so easily by merely taking in a few details and without further research.

What these alternate reality scenes aim to do is give us an idea of just how imaginative and attentive Oreki really is. When he noticed these sensors(lol) or when he deduced where the safe was from just going into the room and managing to figure out what the Senpai was hiding, when he kept on trying to avoid eye contact with Eru and focused on the customers newspaper all the while imagining her story with her uncle as a pop-up book, or when he saw Eru as being like a child trying to find something she lost ... these are scenes that give us insight into how Houtarou views the world, how he solves the ''mysteries'' by reconstructing the world in a different light to get to the answer he wants, how his mind wanders into an imaginary world where he can see people in the way they are deep down, and how creative his brain actually is .

If Eru's strong aspects are her high senses of smell and memory, Houtarou's key strength is his creative mind and attention to details. With that, I can now see where Houtarou Oreki's potential is at that Blue-kun once told me about, and that he might really become an interesting protagonist.

Of course, what makes this all the more impressive is that we didn't need a lot of dialogue to understand all of this. It was merely by the body language and the art that all this got across. Some of it was pointed out yes like this weeks case, but a lot of things weren't. The scene at the café where we got to see that despite his claims of constantly energy saving and not caring much about what happens around him, Houtarou still ended up becoming very tense the moment Eru told him she was about to confess to him, thinking she was about to till him she loved him. His behavior from not really knowing how to answer and avoiding any sort of eye contact (or looking at her directly for that matter) till he got a better idea of what she meant, or how his thought about how she was like a child matched her previous behavior (grabbing him without remorse or shame, ignoring his personal space etc.) and her answer to every time he helped her with a simple child-like nod.

The same can be seen when he was taking his mid-terms, where we got across the entire timespan in less than a minute of footage by simply showing us what was the essence of a student taking these exams would feel like. First day of studying, a quick exam, second day studying, a bit longer like, third day and you see him starting to worry and the pressure getting to him before having what seemed like the longest sitting for him. I could relate to that scene since it felt like an abridged version of my high school exam years haha. In a lot of ways, I'm reminded of how this effective time usage is similar to Boy's on the Slope and how despite the quick pacing and fast forwarding in the in-story time, the show still manages to get the point across just as well if it had spent more time on it.

Of course, no matter how great the visual-audio experience is, it remains to be seen if the writing can match up to it. I'm still liking the chemistry between Oreki and Chitanda, and do think they might make for a cute couple if the story decides to go down that route (I don't know if it does, or if it will end as a good thing, considering the ''bittersweet'' warning stuck here ... I hate to have the story bring two characters with a lot of nice interactions and good feelings emitting from them only to separate them in the end, so I'll be keeping my distance for the time being from that aspect ) but so far, the Achilles heel for myself remains how little there is in terms of substance there is to this story. We did manage to get a little closer to what appears to be a continuous storyline, but I have been finding myself less interested in the mysteries going by how poor the pay off had been for them, and worry that this one will be the same, especially we seen it having this much importance on Eru and her very being (or so we are told).

Regardless of how the future episodes might end playing out, I thought that for the 3rd episode, this one was so far the best I had scene from this show, and gives me more hope for the 7th one
Old 2012-05-07, 22:31   Link #1107
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjimex View Post
My sister attended a Catholic all girls High School with rich tradition and reputation.

Whenever she was in her school uniform, she could not even EAT when:
1. walking;
2. inside a moving vehicle;
3. outdoors.

Even after school!

Even out of school ground!!

That's right, there are schools with strict rules for real!!!
I know there are schools with crazy-strict rules for students. All I'm saying is that in America you need to do more than smoke a cigarette (or eat a Big Mac outside) to qualify as a delinquent. You have to at least steal from an old woman to pay for your smokes.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 23:15   Link #1108
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I wish the schools in the U.S. were more like the Japanese school system with culture festivals and awesome clubs and their strict rules. I guess it's no wonder why the U.S. is so behind in the educational level in the school system because the system isn't that great.

Anyway, it sucks that smoking can get you kick out of school and be label as a delinquent.

Eru look a lot cuter with her little red nose.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 23:22   Link #1109
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
I wish the schools in the U.S. were more like the Japanese school system with culture festivals and awesome clubs and their strict rules. I guess it's no wonder why the U.S. is so behind in the educational level in the school system because the system isn't that great.

Anyway, it sucks that smoking can get you kick out of school and be label as a delinquent.

Eru look a lot cuter with her little red nose.
This. This so much. If only there were things like student councils and cultural festivals and the like. I envy the Japanese school system so much.
Old 2012-05-07, 23:26   Link #1110
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura View Post
This. This so much. If only there were things like student councils and cultural festivals and the like. I envy the Japanese school system so much.
Keep in mind that it is exaggerated in anime a lot for effect. The actual school experience for most Japanese students is studying like madness to try to get into a good university. Even for people within Japan, the high school life that most people live in anime is way, way more interesting and exciting than what most people actually experienced.
Old 2012-05-07, 23:31   Link #1111
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Keep in mind that it is exaggerated in anime a lot for effect. The actual school experience for most Japanese students is studying like madness to try to get into a good university. Even for people within Japan, the high school life that most people live in anime is way, way more interesting and exciting than what most people actually experienced.
Even so they're studying like mad to get into a good university. The US students don't do that or at least they're not doing it very well. Anime usually makes things more interesting in school.

I'm going off topic here so I'll just lay that thought to rest.
Old 2012-05-07, 23:52   Link #1112
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If I remember High School correctly, we had a Student Body that planned events and the like. Mostly things like the various dances and sometimes holiday related events.

We also had a bunch of clubs, but most meet during school hours (we had an hour or so study period for club activities).
Old 2012-05-08, 01:28   Link #1113
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
The same can be seen when he was taking his mid-terms, where we got across the entire timespan in less than a minute of footage by simply showing us what was the essence of a student taking these exams would feel like. First day of studying, a quick exam, second day studying, a bit longer like, third day and you see him starting to worry and the pressure getting to him before having what seemed like the longest sitting for him. I could relate to that scene since it felt like an abridged version of my high school exam years haha.
That scene. I forgot to mention how much I like that one. The room getting messier is obvious, but they also change how Houtarou was sitting on the chair as he get more frustrated. Started with the usual, then cross-legged, then seiza. That's exactly what happens to me when I sit down and solving problem. The sitting position is getting more "weird" as the time with no progress goes by. Well, sometimes not seiza, but kneeling or the like.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 04:01   Link #1114
j4c06

My, my, I hope the Uncle's mystery turns out to be something more exciting/less didactic than that. As it is now, the kids seem bored to no end...
j4c06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 04:02   Link #1115
flack

Any chance the mystery and suspense in this anime will beat that of Death Note?

I have this weird feeling that it might.
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 07:59   Link #1116
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Hmm seems this show is abit of a slow starter after all.
While I did find the 1st episode enjoyable, it has gotten more interesting with each new episode depsite not much actually happen besides the little mysteries and a little plot here and there.
But I do think it's not a "3 episode watch rule" series, think you'd def have to give it a few more than 3 in order to know for sure or at least 4.
Still that weird odd sense of "boredom" about it all, not sure I'll see it shaking away that feeling for a few more eps at least.

about the school systems, I just remembered about something a teacher once said and that was he actually did wish the school system here was like the Japanese one.
None of us knew what he meant until he explained a little about it and obviously all of us were like "yea....like hell no with that" you know the cleaning and all that stuff
Now I'd have to admit I would probably say differently, I actually never liked the guy but I do agree with what he thought.
Old 2012-05-08, 10:59   Link #1117
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Kind of a boring episode compared to the first two, still a killer soundtrack though.
Old 2012-05-08, 12:56   Link #1118
kan-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
My, my, I hope the Uncle's mystery turns out to be something more exciting/less didactic than that. As it is now, the kids seem bored to no end...
Also I hope, it seems a little weak reason for all the fuss( Of course I understand that a girl would know the whereabouts and the facts concerning of her uncle, but this not necessary lead to an intriguing mistery) By the way I quite enjoyed the first three episodes.The animation is quite new (for me) and interesting, the character design reminds to me a little bit too much some recent animes, but is good. like clear the roles of the characters and the "goal" of the whole thing.
I'didn't read the novel so I don't know the difference. In the only case in wich I've read part of a novel before than watching the anime (No.6) at the end the novel turned to be better.

Last edited by kan-chan; 2012-05-08 at 13:17. Reason: mispelling
kan-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 13:12   Link #1119
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

I'm less interested in the mystery as it has been presented to us and more interested in why Oreki's elder sister wanted him to join. I doubt it was just because she wanted the club to continue (though I don't doubt that entered into it). And what she knew or didn't know about the club's apparently strange history.

Of course, for all I know, They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot.
Old 2012-05-08, 18:34   Link #1120
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Looking at the HUGE amount of people using profile/sigs related to Chitanda.

I'm glad to say that she has gained the recognition she deserves!

Niker

EDIT: I would find it hilariously anticlimatic if Chitanda is just about to sneeze at last ep's cliffhanger

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact

Last edited by Arturia Polaris; 2012-05-08 at 19:37.
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life