AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-05, 09:13   Link #421
Shinn Kamiyra
Enthralled by music

Meh, I'm not much into this new girl either. She seems more like a random throw-in to generate jealousy with Subaru, and perhaps even Kanade, than anything else. At least that's the impression I got from this episode.

Shame though. If she were more like what I've heard about from the light novels, she would've made for a more interesting character.
Shinn Kamiyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 09:25   Link #422
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

I can only imagine the actions of Konoe when she is telling what kinjiro was saying in his sleep.

not to mention he seems to be quite the master at causing misunderstandings.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 11:19   Link #423
holybell84

Someone need to do a art of Subaru doing a full Shin Shoryuken to Jirou
Old 2011-08-05, 11:38   Link #424
Seiryuu

The first thing I thought seeing this ep was, "Why doesn't he just say 'glasses'?" Saying "I want something that's in your skirt" is bound to be misinterpreted, but saying "it looks like you've got my glasses caught there" would be much simpler.

I think I'm going to like Usami, and I firmly disagree with the people who hate her so quickly. She's got enough depth that I doubt they're just going to use her as a minor throw-in. And no matter what people say, the chicken came first. Her personality has to have developed through unpleasant experience and isolation; it's just the sad truth that the sort of personality that develops from loneliness and isolation often tends to encourage more isolation. She's clearly reluctant to go home, and even more reluctant to spend money when she can avoid it, which tells me she's also got a very unpleasant and poor home.

One of the biggest things to me was when she asked Jirou to believe in her no matter what. She was quite vulnerable and desperate at that point, like she's been doubted and disbelieved a lot. In that one sense she actually reminds me just a bit of a character from another series, who transferred schools and decided to become strong enough to never rely on anyone again after a certain incident.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 12:08   Link #425
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

This is probably just a matter of taste whatsoever, but I fail to understand Masamune's archtype as "palatable", considering the various points as follow:
-Do not apologize for crashing into someone: heck, her indifference was indeed played as a comedy factor, but the complete lack of apology is quite something.
-Blackmailing
-Being overly obnoxious doesn't buy any pity from my perspective: she doesn't have friends? It isn't like automatically excuse the characters for being overly bossy and violent.

Of course, things shouldn't be taken too seriously due to the themes of the anime, and the fact... well, all of the characters are fictional after all.
But I really don't see the whole appealing "presentation" for Masamune, while she is your run-the-mill bossy tsundere. And the last scene for asking for trusting her doesn't really sit well when she is actually forcing Jirou in that mess. It would have been a complete different matter if she asked for his help, instead of blackmailing him.

And some people are also fed up to have the same archtype on their plate, while Kureha is filling the bill regarding "brash violent girl after Subaru" role.
Old 2011-08-05, 12:24   Link #426
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
This is odd and completely against what I had read before; the character profile description for Usami Masamune in the Light Novel said that she's "Very understanding of many situations, she isn’t the type of girl to fall into a misunderstanding or jump to wrong conclusions", in fact it was especially noted that she was the first person to have seen through Suzutsuki Kanade's lies.
Wow, really? If that's true that's one heck of a 180

That sounds like a trait deep down inside. Maybe something we'll see later on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
Ganbare, subaru! You can make your own harem if you try hard ! >w<
But that's the funny part; she doesn't have to do anything other than play dress up as a butler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
The first thing I thought seeing this ep was, "Why doesn't he just say 'glasses'?" Saying "I want something that's in your skirt" is bound to be misinterpreted, but saying "it looks like you've got my glasses caught there" would be much simpler.
Yeah, it would have been easier for him, but then again, he cringed at the sight of the girl, and even more so as he got closer he could not contain himself, so perhaps the unfortunate hidden trait of his genomephobia is his thoughts become cloudy as well

Quote:
I think I'm going to like Usami, and I firmly disagree with the people who hate her so quickly. She's got enough depth that I doubt they're just going to use her as a minor throw-in. And no matter what people say, the chicken came first. Her personality has to have developed through unpleasant experience and isolation; it's just the sad truth that the sort of personality that develops from loneliness and isolation often tends to encourage more isolation. She's clearly reluctant to go home, and even more reluctant to spend money when she can avoid it, which tells me she's also got a very unpleasant and poor home.

One of the biggest things to me was when she asked Jirou to believe in her no matter what. She was quite vulnerable and desperate at that point, like she's been doubted and disbelieved a lot. In that one sense she actually reminds me just a bit of a character from another series, who transferred schools and decided to become strong enough to never rely on anyone again after a certain incident.
Aha. That's what I felt about her; that she didn't develop her personality completely out of her own doing. That question I asked myself earlier, about why she didn't even have time to eat her breakfast at home, and that could very well be because life ain't a picnic at her place.

Of course I see her as that girl who can change, she just needs time, and like I said earlier if Jirou can truly be a friend to her she's got to warm up to me him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
-Do not apologize for crashing into someone: heck, her indifference was indeed played as a comedy factor, but the complete lack of apology is quite something.
The whole thing kinda went sour when the skirt thing came up. She didn't exactly leave on a high note

Quote:
-Blackmailing
-Being overly obnoxious doesn't buy any pity from my perspective: she doesn't have friends? It isn't like automatically excuse the characters for being overly bossy and violent.
Subaru and Kanade at the very start of this series?

Quote:
It would have been a complete different matter if she asked for his help, instead of blackmailing him.
I guess it's like you said, this comedy genre isn't really striking itself as serious; as such, maybe, just maybe she's not the convincing type? Like, maybe she didn't know if he was going to be a Mr Nice Guy, especially considering the skirt incident that morning, and perhaps she thought it best to use something in the event he chooses not to comply with her. I'd say next ep should really shed some light into her more so than in just one ep, which just introduced her. Like another poster said, it seems like this series sped through a couple
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 12:53   Link #427
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
The whole thing kinda went sour when the skirt thing came up. She didn't exactly leave on a high note
Well, even after Jirou asked her name, she didn't cooperate one bit. To the contrary, complete defiance despite it was clearly her fault.
Quote:
Subaru and Kanade at the very start of this series?
Stark difference: initially a blackmail, Subaru and Kanade basically offered a mutual beneficial deal (although forced, I will give you that). And the initial violence -had- a meaning from Subaru (Memory erasing technique, however unlikely it was ), who quickly ceased doing do (much to my surprise).
Arguably different from Masamune who basically left him no choice, otherwise there would be very bad consequences afterwards (and it isn't like S4 was anything he would be worried about).
Quote:
I guess it's like you said, this comedy genre isn't really striking itself as serious; as such, maybe, just maybe she's not the convincing type? Like, maybe she didn't know if he was going to be a Mr Nice Guy, especially considering the skirt incident that morning, and perhaps she thought it best to use something in the event he chooses not to comply with her. I'd say next ep should really shed some light into her more so than in just one ep, which just introduced her. Like another poster said, it seems like this series sped through a couple
Her personality was quite set in stone even before the skirt incident, and even so, she saw by herself she misunderstood his intention (even though Jirou was dumb enough not to say "glasses" in this mess).
She was literally using Jirou for her bidding (asking someone you don't know to buy your swimsuit? really?)
I would have been fine with few bites here and there, but that's rather quite a flower covered by lacerating thorns we have here.
Matter of taste and perspective I guess, I don't think it is really realistic to expect everyone to like/dislike that type of character.
Old 2011-08-05, 14:44   Link #428
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

misunderstanding creates chaos and confusion and now poor subaro is gonig to be targeted by cat ear wearing stalking with a bag full of cute frilly girly clothes >_<
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 15:02   Link #429
TrueKnight

The new girl suck. The usual stupid and horribly generic cute misunderstood tsundere. The master and Subaru are far more interesting. Liking how the master pissed mentally assault Jirou for not being jealous when she showed him the love letter. Subaru is also funny but the master is at a league of her own.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 15:10   Link #430
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Poor Subaru had her promise broken and had her feelings hurt. Stupid Jiro, he should have taken her aside and tell her what's going on and about the photo. Usami seems to have issues though. Didn't expect him to walk her home. Hopefully he can clear it up with Subaru wince she looks so down.
Old 2011-08-05, 16:47   Link #431
Seiryuu

Quote:
This is probably just a matter of taste whatsoever, but I fail to understand Masamune's archtype as "palatable", considering the various points as follow:
-Blackmailing

Of course, things shouldn't be taken too seriously due to the themes of the anime, and the fact... well, all of the characters are fictional after all.
But I really don't see the whole appealing "presentation" for Masamune, while she is your run-the-mill bossy tsundere. And the last scene for asking for trusting her doesn't really sit well when she is actually forcing Jirou in that mess. It would have been a complete different matter if she asked for his help, instead of blackmailing him.

And some people are also fed up to have the same archtype on their plate, while Kureha is filling the bill regarding "brash violent girl after Subaru" role.
Would you be that turned off by blackmailing if she was blackmailing a major jerk or bad guy with evidence of some crime he'd committed? In this girl's eyes that's what he is. She's in a position that distrusts anyone who gets near Subaru, and she doesn't know that Subaru's a girl, or that her mistress had forced her to do the things she did. In her eyes, Jirou is someone who did something to offend Subaru, then refused to leave "him" alone, and eventually forced "him" to cross-dress and do other weird, embarassing things.

I'm not fond of violent tsunderes exactly, I'm just always interested in girls who seem to be hurting on the inside, and who seem to have some backstory that made them defensive and jumpy. Finally, she's in the Textile club, so her violence should not be all that surprising and weird. Frankly, it'd be impossible to stay in a club with Kureha and not learn to fight hard.

Also, as for her reluctance to tell her name, again it seemed like she was being defensive, like she thought he was going to come after her somehow once he knew her name. You put a person through enough experiences of being rejected and persecuted, of being punished or held responsible for things that they had nothing to do with, and they'll be very reluctant to welcome responsibility and punishment for things they actually were involved in. Particularly when it was an unexpected accident rather than a conscious action.

I'm not saying you have to like this character. I just think that it's a little fast to simply hate her when there was enough evidence that there's a lot of motivating factors going on that we don't know about yet.

Last edited by Seiryuu; 2011-08-05 at 16:58.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 16:54   Link #432
GDB

Not really feeling the new girl. Don't care for her. Don't see her being able to do anything to really change that. I can get her basic character model and archetype in pretty much any anime out there. I enjoy this series because of Subaru and Kanade. Stop stealing their air time!
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 16:57   Link #433
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Not really feeling the new girl. Don't care for her. Don't see her being able to do anything to really change that. I can get her basic character model and archetype in pretty much any anime out there. I enjoy this series because of Subaru and Kanade. Stop stealing their air time!
I think one ep or two and her arc would be over.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 17:19   Link #434
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Yeah, the new girl sucked balls . She was annoying as hell, and I can't stand bossy, loudmouthed tsuns with no dere toward the main char. I've had enough of that with OreImo for the next 2 years.

And Jirou was a complete dumbass this episode. 'Betraying' Subaru, not asking for the glasses and instead saying "I want what's between you legs", being dense not only to Kana with the love letter, but Subaru as well with the kiss(which he doesn't know about, but still annoys me to no end); this is the kind of shit I hate >=0[. Hopefully I can make it past next episode, because it's been good up to before this episode, and I'd hate to drop it for stupid eps like this.

The only things that amused me were Kana's teasing(despite Jirou's dumbassness), and Subaru's kiss. I thought the latter was really funny, because even though she called Jirou a pervert, she was still shyly willing to give him what he wanted. I wonder does she think that friends do this type of thing? I'd hate to see her in a hentai (only cuz I like her so much =03).
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 17:56   Link #435
Nvis
Where are the good animes

You can see Kanade's disappointment when Jirou said she should accept the confession letter.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 18:35   Link #436
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
I'd be laughing if he goes "I don't give a damn, that letter's for YOU."

But it'll be very out of character for him.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 19:29   Link #437
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Yeah, the new girl sucked balls . She was annoying as hell, and I can't stand bossy, loudmouthed tsuns with no dere toward the main char. I've had enough of that with OreImo for the next 2 years.
really no dere at all even though they only meet that day you expect her to warm up to him already. Even though Jirou is an enemy of S4 and eve though he goes ballistics at some point she still has some few cute moments.

And really she is getting a bad reviews from most people but from other anime that I'm watching that has a same tsundere type as her they actually like her and even though lightning hurts more. has fans been fed p with kirino type of girl though usumi did listen to jirou at the near end of the episode. She doesn't go ballistics all the time as long as it's not about her worship subaru and really if it's interesting the only interesting character here is Kanade but I just like Usumi's type of character so I don't care for her much flaws. At least she has tame moments.
Old 2011-08-05, 20:10   Link #438
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I would caution against hasty first judgment; none of the characters of this series has ever made good first appearance.

Jirou was quite a pushover when we first saw him, Subaru was not so different from Usami, and Kanade was no more than your manipulative evil girl just having fun at other people's expenses.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-08-05 at 20:50.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 20:51   Link #439
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

^--

I wonder if this is how it's going to be; if Narumi is also a schemer, we'd have 2 pairs of girls similar to each other That's a little troublesome in terms of diversity, so I'm also going to take the same approach to Narumi too XD (a little pissed we got a peek of her way back in ep 01, and now in ep 05 she's not such an airhead, eh? Needs more time)

Quote:
Stark difference: initially a blackmail, Subaru and Kanade basically offered a mutual beneficial deal (although forced, I will give you that). And the initial violence -had- a meaning from Subaru (Memory erasing technique, however unlikely it was ), who quickly ceased doing do (much to my surprise).
Arguably different from Masamune who basically left him no choice, otherwise there would be very bad consequences afterwards (and it isn't like S4 was anything he would be worried about).
I wasn't talking about Subaru's violence, I was talking about her also having had no friends before the Jirou encounter. Subaru was a rather straight faced girl too, who had the advantage of her oujosama's scheming to spend time with Jirou. As I mentioned earlier there was hardly, if ever, a moment where she did something out of her own accord, so my stance here basically is the same way I approached Subaru: I'd give Usami at least another ep before I go up in arms against yet another violent girl in anime. At least we had 4 eps for Subaru (who I was initially skeptical about until she went girl mode in ep 02)
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 20:53   Link #440
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I would caution against hasty first judgment; none of the characters of this series has ever made good first appearance.

Jirou was quite a pushover when we first saw him, Subaru was not so different from Usami, and Kanade was anymore than your manipulative evil girl just having fun at other people's expenses.
True that. I am currently liking Subaru's character right now, and was laughing when I read Kanade's backstory... Err don't ask me about it though. I don't know about the others much, while I think Jirou would be better if he can at least, for once, say NO and meant it as it really is. Or at least be the man patching things up as how they should go right... Perhaps this is expecting too much from a male chara in this series which is supposed to be a comedy, but I don't really see why it can't turn serious later on.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, ecchi, gender bender, harem, light novel adaptation, reverse trap, romance, shounen