AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-07-22, 14:49   Link #61
amasposu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetor View Post
Can people not read a post and laugh anymore?
Text can be interpreted in numerous ways. Sarcasm does not work well on the internet. If you are as old as you claim you are, I would expect you to understand that. >:

I bought and recorded my fair share of VHS anime simply because that was all I had access to 10+ years ago. Torrents did not exist. I think I bought an entire boxset of Serial Experiment Lain, English subbed, from Viz. I remember flipping through Viz's catalog to order their VHS anime. I definitely did not have the luxury of fansub back then. I remember recording English-subbed anime, such as Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ranma 1/2, Dirty Pair, etc, off of local TV channels.
amasposu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 11:48   Link #62
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Getting anime back in the day was a lot harder. A lot of people relied on international, not specifically Japanese versions of the anime. Often recorded straight off TV and shipped over.

It still sort of started on the early internet. IRC, newsgroups, etc. Video game importers ... part of their business back in the day to import raw VHS, Beta, laser disc releases.

There won't be a big anime series for a while. Not until we see some good anime get screen time at a good time slot on a cable or broadcast network.

The way it's going, Anime is getting simulcast immediately to the western market to those who want it ASAP. It's being kept niche. You want it, you get it. Hulu, Crunchyroll... they're getting the big series online pretty fast.

Tiger and Bunny is on Hulu 4 hours after it airs in Japan, that's extremely fast.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 12:22   Link #63
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Read the first post of this thread,and considering how inconvenience it was back then , i am now wondering whether the fansubs "industry" can see any major improvement in the coming decades...

I means we basically at golden age of fansubbing where shows are released as fast as few hours within airing, and with quality (visual and sub) can be accepted by the majority's required standard. It's really amazing how much pure devotion alone (without $ incentive) can improve the quality of releasing "products"
Old 2011-07-26, 10:00   Link #64
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post

Tiger and Bunny is on Hulu 4 hours after it airs in Japan, that's extremely fast.
What about all the series on CR that air 1 hour after it airs in Japan

What I'm curious is about if you who watched anime '' back in the day '', do you think new anime fans owe you something? There seems to be quite few people thinking so and it puzzles me why. Apparently it's thanks to you guys we even have fansub groups at this time and age... Honestly, I think not. Even if no one had bought the VHS tapes back then, I doubt it would have killed fansubbers. Perhaps then yes, but with internet and all this available now...
Old 2011-07-26, 10:48   Link #65
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist
What I'm curious is about if you who watched anime '' back in the day '', do you think new anime fans owe you something?
As an older viewer I can honestly say: No.
Old 2011-07-26, 13:43   Link #66
klare

back in the days when i could not differentiate between anime and cartoon, no fansub VHS were even available, only dubs

watched Robotech in English and Nausicaa in dubs by Hong Kong, which became a comedy...

luckily internet and fansub nowadays had changed all that
Old 2011-12-03, 01:10   Link #67
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
back in the days when i could not differentiate between anime and cartoon, no fansub VHS were even available, only dubs

watched Robotech in English and Nausicaa in dubs by Hong Kong, which became a comedy...

luckily internet and fansub nowadays had changed all that
Ya, if you go way way back in the day, then you get to the point of no anime ever had a literal translation.

Look at Go-Lion vs. Voltron. They are two completely different shows. It's amazing that a literal translation is so important in a dub now.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 21:08   Link #68
Hippo
Careful now.

I'm so glad we aren't in the VHS age anymore, I used to sometimes get VHS fansubs from the US and as I didn't have an NTSC player I had to sneak into my sister's room when she was out and watch them there. The shop bought ones were expensive- £13 for a half hour dubbed episode. Sometimes people complain about the cost of anime these days, and yet I frequently get full seasons of anime on DVD for £10 or blu ray for around £20. Even the early days of DVD (3 or 4 episodes for £15ish) seems expensive to me now, so I'm a bit spoilt nowadays I'd rather be spoilt than broke though...

I still have quite a few VHS tapes, some for sentimental reasons and others because I'm not sure how to get them again, like the UK dub of Catgirl Nuku Nuku where they have Brummie accents
Old 2011-12-05, 08:21   Link #69
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I ditched most of my VHS tapes. Really those hoarded a lot of place. Now I ned to reason my dad to do the same, the place it takes in the living room is staggering.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-05, 18:19   Link #70
Kyuu
=^^=

I never got into fansubbing in the VHS days. My older sister was willing to just buy anime on VHS. So, I got my fill that way - along with the stuff on TV.

Then in 2000, I started downloading anime. Back then, these files were viewable using Realplayer. I had to be somewhat lucky, or do extra digging to find stuff in *.avi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo
I'm so glad we aren't in the VHS age anymore
Back when Sub vs Dub was at its worst... because the discussion was tied to people's wallets.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-06, 14:29   Link #71
Hippo
Careful now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Back when Sub vs Dub was at its worst... because the discussion was tied to people's wallets.
Absolutely! It's funny whenever that old argument rears its head because these days who really cares? It is so cheap and easy to get both versions that you needn't be concerned with what other people prefer. Back then it was rare to have both versions on one video (sometimes they would have a half hour dubbed episode followed by the same episode with subs, so you get an hour long video but you still really paid £13 for 30 minutes) but usually you had to actually make a choice over which version you would prefer, if you were lucky enough to have a choice in the first place. I had some sets where some volumes were sub and some were dub just because those were what was for sale in the highstreet shops- but then again at least they were available in shops because it wasn't long before that you couldn't really get anything at all apart from mangled Americanisations, I sure am glad I wasn't an anime fan in the 80s or earlier!
Old 2012-05-10, 00:33   Link #72
Calca
Expressionless

10 years ago I would have killed for a service such as crunchyroll
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 02:33   Link #73
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I actually have no idea where my fansubs came from back in the VHS days. There was a kid I knew in school who I gave money to, and he gave me the VHS.

I've tried wracking my head for the first fansub group from whom I actually got my anime fix from directly. Sadly, old age and time prevents me from remembering who they might have been. If anyone can remember who used to fansub Dragonball in the 90s, well, that was probably who it was. I didn't even like Dragonball all that much, but back then you took what you could get. Though, I'm honestly not sure if those Dragonball VHS tapes I got my hands on were actual fansubs or simply bootlegs.

I can say that Soldats and their fansub of Noir was the first 'digital' fansub I ever directly got my hands on myself, without going through an intermediary. I have no idea why I remember that.

I just realized I don't remember when fansubbers stopped plastering 'If you paid for this, you got scammed' or variants thereof on all their releases.

But, yea, file sizes and internet connection speeds have come a long way. These days, I expect to watch an anime within minutes of downloading, or instantly if it's a stream. I also expect fansubs to be up within the same day or so of the Japanese airing.

Used to be I never paid attention to the actual Japanese airing schedule. I simply kept tabs on various fansub groups, and when they released an episode, that was-for all intents and purposes-the release date for the show in question in my eyes. If the group was good, it might pump something out within a week or two of the air date. Often, that wasn't the case. And, because I never paid attention to the Japanese air dates, I never minded. These days, even though I know it's immature, it still irritates me if I get home from work and a particular show that aired that morning (or the previous day) hasn't been fansubbed yet.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 07:38   Link #74
gsilver

Fansubbing and the US anime industry has gone a long way. Just look at the pricing:
26 episodes of One Piece: $21 online
26 episodes at $6/tape (4-5 episodes per tape): $36 (through a VHS fansub distributor)

It costs less to buy legitimate releases now than it did to watch fansubs back in the day!

I also remember when Realplayer (lol) was a huge step up in quality...

Now, with all this 'day one high definition' stuff
Old 2012-05-10, 17:15   Link #75
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Too early guys.
Need to let the thread rest 10 more years, then we can all laugh about it.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 18:08   Link #76
hyl
reading #hikaributts

I am already feeling like an old person when the kids (and even teens) in my neighbourhood don't even how a VHS looks like and some of them don't know what it is.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 19:13   Link #77
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
I am already feeling like an old person when the kids (and even teens) in my neighbourhood don't even how a VHS looks like and some of them don't know what it is.
"What? You kids don't know what a rotary phone is?"

Among many reasons: this is why many kids should still watch things like Tom n' Jerry and Looney Tunes.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 23:43   Link #78
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
"What? You kids don't know what a rotary phone is?"

Among many reasons: this is why many kids should still watch things like Tom n' Jerry and Looney Tunes.
My niece doesn't know what a pager is. When I tried explaining it to her, she asked me why we could text message, but not call each other in the 'old days'.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-10, 23:51   Link #79
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I'm not that old but I grew up in my later years with a VHS myself. I used to tape Pokemon, Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh off TV live and then draw little art on the blank labels to keep them around. They had no structure and were sometimes even filled with commercials (if I wasn't around during the recording), but hey, without internet it was the next best thing.

Good times, I miss those days.
Old 2012-05-11, 02:03   Link #80
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisui View Post
Text can be interpreted in numerous ways. Sarcasm does not work well on the internet.
sarcasm can work quite well on the internet or in any kind of writing, 'text can't properly convey tone or emotion' is just an old dumb myth that needs to die
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote