AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 32 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 21.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 10.42%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.04%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-03, 08:43   Link #121
typhonsentra

I like that "Naruhodo" is Ryuuji's catchphrase.
Old 2008-11-03, 12:44   Link #122
molitar

Ok who has the best subbing at this time? I been using aero's with gg's subs. The best of both worlds aero video looks way better than gg's. But now that gg is not subbing it anymore I have to find good subtitles to substitute aero's with. One thing aero does really good is their video encoding
Old 2008-11-03, 12:56   Link #123
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
Ok who has the best subbing at this time? I been using aero's with gg's subs. The best of both worlds aero video looks way better than gg's. But now that gg is not subbing it anymore I have to find good subtitles to substitute aero's with. One thing aero does really good is their video encoding
I think gg's translator is now in qq.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2008-11-03, 13:22   Link #124
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachopvutru View Post
I think gg's translator is now in qq.
Yep, that is pretty much confirmed. Check http://blog.ilif.in/
Old 2008-11-03, 13:35   Link #125
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
You can either check my recent review in the Generic thread or go back a page or two for a discussion on fansubs.

Aero's encoding choices are outstanding but they need to go back and provide subtitles for all the voices in each scene not just one voice.

I'm currently using Paradym's (I like their translation style) but the startup group qq is where the translator from the dropped gg_fansubs series took his work.
Old 2008-11-04, 07:38   Link #126
typhonsentra

So what happened to the other group? What was the reason they stopped?
Old 2008-11-04, 13:08   Link #127
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its talked about elsewhere but in short, most of the group just lost interest in Toradora - only translator wanted to keep going.

I heartily agree that fansubbers shouldn't waste their time on series they don't like. Hobbies are supposed to be fun, not a drudge.
Old 2008-11-04, 16:02   Link #128
ilifin
fishy

Send a message via AIM to ilifin Send a message via MSN to ilifin
This kinda explains why we dropped it. Which is also why we made qq, since gg was crying so much over Toradora. Every. Goddamn. Week.

And I bet koda isn't reading this so ffffffff stop forgetting to include fonts and fix styles, koda.
Old 2008-11-04, 16:21   Link #129
typhonsentra

Of all the series to lose interest in though, I'm surprised it's Toradora. I don't trust JC Staff either but they haven't screwed it up enough for me to lose interest yet.

Ah well, keep fighting the good fight Ilifin.
Old 2008-11-04, 21:03   Link #130
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Of all the series to lose interest in though, I'm surprised it's Toradora. I don't trust JC Staff either but they haven't screwed it up enough for me to lose interest yet.

Ah well, keep fighting the good fight Ilifin.
Perhaps because it is not tsundere enough or GAR enough for 'em.

And for your knowledge, the screenwriter of ToraDora! is the same person who wrote for Rozen Maiden series. So I don't think the anime adaptation will screw up.
Old 2008-11-04, 21:09   Link #131
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post

And for your knowledge, the screenwriter of ToraDora! is the same person who wrote for Rozen Maiden series. So I don't think the anime adaptation will screw up.
Well, that's not exactly GOOD news for people who are fans of the manga or novels - Rozen Maiden's manga was almost completely different from the anime series that was supposed to be based on it, and Traumend was... well, so-so, and tried very hard to merge the anime-original direction that the series had gone in with the storyline of the source with mixed results. Oueberture was kinda disappointing as well.

Now, if they can keep up the entertaining aspects without inserting fillers like episode 3, we'll be fine, I think. If it goes the ZnT route...
Old 2008-11-04, 21:56   Link #132
typhonsentra

Quote:

That's reassuring as I've heard it's good but... I haven't gotten around to that series so I can't say for sure.

And Toradora, doesn't need that GAR or Tsundere stuff anyway. Why people clamor for overused archetypes like that I'll never know.
Old 2008-11-04, 23:21   Link #133
rg4619

How did the Kodomo no Jikan and Vampire Knight adaptations turn out? Those would be better examples of Mari Okada's work (handled Series Composition, just as with Toradora! and Kuroshitsuji) than Rozen Maiden.
Old 2008-11-05, 09:32   Link #134
stormy001_M1A2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Well, that's not exactly GOOD news for people who are fans of the manga or novels - Rozen Maiden's manga was almost completely different from the anime series that was supposed to be based on it, and Traumend was... well, so-so, and tried very hard to merge the anime-original direction that the series had gone in with the storyline of the source with mixed results. Oueberture was kinda disappointing as well.
Not really, I actually enjoyed Rozen Maiden series a lot despite the appearance; I enjoyed the manga too. To me, she did a very good job in capturing the spirit of the manga story and make it anime usable in a way. However, this is strictly personal taste.

To me, the filler material is pretty okay in fact it did advance the plot IMHO.

Heck see it this way, at least GONZO is not doing the adaptation of this story.

Cheers.
Old 2008-11-05, 20:10   Link #135
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Not really, I actually enjoyed Rozen Maiden series a lot despite the appearance; I enjoyed the manga too. To me, she did a very good job in capturing the spirit of the manga story and make it anime usable in a way. However, this is strictly personal taste.

To me, the filler material is pretty okay in fact it did advance the plot IMHO.

Cheers.
Episode 3 didn't do much to advance the plot, and as noted, your mileage may vary. However, pointing to Rozen Maiden as an example of 'not screw up' isn't exactly the most heartening choice you could've made.... since it did screw up spectacularly in Traumend with some of the filler stuff. And heaven knows that the manga is far, far different from the anime adaptation, so if your definition of not screwing up is 'sticks to the spirit of the story'... then it kinda failed there too, on top of being a not-very-faithful adaptation.
Old 2008-11-05, 20:22   Link #136
stormy001_M1A2

Well, I think it is tough to adapt in progress manga story into workable anime format and the anime scenario writer did very well to present a coherent, interesting anime. That is not small feat.

Traumend actually quite interesting series for me and the characters do progress.

Being faithful will not work 100 percent from one medium to another, like it or not. Even Peter Jackson have to make a lot of concessions in directing epic LOTR trilogy. What is important is essence and spirit of the feel. That is critically crucial in adaptation work.
Old 2008-11-05, 21:04   Link #137
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:

Cheers.
But JC Staff is doing it. And it's not particularly good news either (ZnT 2, ZnT 3, SnS2 etc.)
Old 2008-11-05, 22:25   Link #138
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Well, I think it is tough to adapt in progress manga story into workable anime format and the anime scenario writer did very well to present a coherent, interesting anime. That is not small feat.

Traumend actually quite interesting series for me and the characters do progress.

Being faithful will not work 100 percent from one medium to another, like it or not. Even Peter Jackson have to make a lot of concessions in directing epic LOTR trilogy. What is important is essence and spirit of the feel. That is critically crucial in adaptation work.
Adaptations try to keep what they can of the original source material that made it entertaining (as, presumably, if it wasn't entertaining it wouldn't have been licensed)... and much of Traumend didn't work for me as a result, as it wasn't entertaining. ToraDora episode 3 was almost all filler, and the way they wrote Taiga seemed more like a lazy-ass writer's attempt to adapt a script for another show for ToraDora because it felt so out of place, characterization-wise. And THAT is my problem - Ep 3 lost the feel of the original source material and screwed up the characters. Traumend lost the feel of the source, but at least kept enough elements in that made it recognizably similar and the last bit was entertaining to watch even if the fillers were yawntastic.

Episodes four and five seem to have returned to the feel of the original story, even if the events have been swapped around and certain things did or didn't happen. Episode 3, on the other hand, didn't... and stuck out like a sore thumb. I'm hoping Episode 7, which looks like it might be covering the trip (or might be just filler) keeps up the trend of the past few episodes.
Old 2008-11-05, 22:53   Link #139
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Often episodes are assigned to a rotating staff of sub-directors and subset writer teams to permit simultaneous development of multiple episodes.

Has anyone figured out whether that was the case here? That whomever directed episode 3 is one of a group and not of the same caliber?

I'm saying this having watched ep 3 with no clue whatever about what was 'canon' and what was anime-only at the time and noting a severe drift from what ep 1 and ep 2 established and then ep 4 and 5 returned to.
Old 2008-11-06, 00:58   Link #140
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Often episodes are assigned to a rotating staff of sub-directors and subset writer teams to permit simultaneous development of multiple episodes.

Has anyone figured out whether that was the case here? That whomever directed episode 3 is one of a group and not of the same caliber?
So far, every Toradora! episode has been directed and storyboarded by a different person, so it's hard to say. The guy who directed Ep. 3 (Eiichi Kuboyama) seems less experienced than some of the other staff (mostly J.C. Staff regulars), but we can't really assume that he's at fault.

As for screenplay, Mari Okada wrote every script so far, aside from Ep. 5. She's been doing loads of stuff lately.
Closed Thread