AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 54 31.21%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 51 29.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 43 24.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 10.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.89%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.58%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-07, 18:55   Link #101
radister
Back and Alive! i think!?

I don't think i would call Kanon a Harem as well. but maybe its becuase Kanon does not come from the comady area, sure there is comady in it but its more mature then other animes.
i guess i would say its up to each one own Interpretation of the anime.
i would say it is a light comady tho
however i say this is based off the first ep and the original anime, so who knows how the remake will turn out.
Old 2006-10-07, 19:11   Link #102
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Saying that Kanon is a harem anime is just like saying Air is a shoujo series. :3
Old 2006-10-07, 19:28   Link #103
problemedchild
ô_ô

I really don't think anyone here watches anime for realism.......
Old 2006-10-07, 19:44   Link #104
radister
Back and Alive! i think!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
I really don't think anyone here watches anime for realism.......
i wacth anime for enjoyment
but some realism now and then could'nt help ,not that anything in anime can ever really be real, but sometime the events can fell belivable, thats all i ask..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth
Saying that Kanon is a harem anime is just like saying Air is a shoujo series. :3
i don't know, did you see the way Misuzu looked at Yoshino
anyway i agree with you, theres no way Kanon is a Harem anime
Old 2006-10-07, 20:20   Link #105
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemil828 View Post
Didn't say it was comedic. However in retrospect 'harem' is bad term to use to describe Kanon. I shall settle with 'Tragic Romance' How's that?
And "tragic romance" is now a genre that only men can enjoy? That's a little ridiculous.

Anyway, I already explained why I was watching Kanon. I like the atmosphere of the Key visual novel adaptations. And while more realism on the girls' part might be nice, I don't really mind six year old girls, so it's not a huge issue. I'm not really complaining about it either.

I wish people would bother to read my posts before putting words in my mouth. Please don't pretend like I acted as though I hated the series or thought that all the girls MUST comform to my idea of realism in order for it to be good, because I never claimed such things. The only thing I said was that I wished, from my standpoint, that I could relate to the girls more. That would increase my enjoyment. However, I will most likely enjoy it regardless.
Old 2006-10-07, 20:28   Link #106
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I hear ya. I live in San Diego myself. Snow is a foreign word in my dictionary.
I'm in Alberta, Canada so the snow thingy is kinda meh

Good esp from kyoani as usual. Very high brightness and contrast (not sure if it is the fansub filter or the original) but every scene I watch I got deja vu too much .. is this guy Kyon, OMG HE IS KYON, is this girl the one from ~AIR~... . The music is nice, calm, quiet and relaxing, and the instrument reminds/closely resemble "bird song" from AIR and AIR OST in general

and Minase Akiko is strong competitor in the supermom club which can rival ama...

~AIR~ is 1000th summer and it has a nice summerbreeze in it, and Kanon is winter calm.... I wonder what season does clannad represent
Old 2006-10-07, 20:44   Link #107
Minoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
And "tragic romance" is now a genre that only men can enjoy? That's a little ridiculous.

Anyway, I already explained why I was watching Kanon. I like the atmosphere of the Key visual novel adaptations. And while more realism on the girls' part might be nice, I don't really mind six year old girls, so it's not a huge issue. I'm not really complaining about it either.

I wish people would bother to read my posts before putting words in my mouth. Please don't pretend like I acted as though I hated the series or thought that all the girls MUST comform to my idea of realism in order for it to be good, because I never claimed such things. The only thing I said was that I wished, from my standpoint, that I could relate to the girls more. That would increase my enjoyment. However, I will most likely enjoy it regardless.
Just out of curiosity, have you seen the original Kanon? You sound familiar with Key's works, but never specifically mentioned having seen the original version. If not, it'll be interesting to see if you come to identify with the girls more as the series progresses and their backstories and characters are fleshed out. That, for me, was what hooked me on the original series...the gradual explaining of each character's background, and the resulting changes in my perceptions of them.
Old 2006-10-07, 20:50   Link #108
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoto View Post
Just out of curiosity, have you seen the original Kanon? You sound familiar with Key's works, but never specifically mentioned having seen the original version.
I saw a couple of episodes when it first came out, but I don't really remember anything about it. Oddly, I remember having a slightly better reaction to the girls, but I don't really know why. When I talk about Key adaptations, I'm mainly referring to the AIR adaptations. (Oh, and any familiarity with Key in general is from what I've read from various sources. I don't like visual novels, so I haven't played any of the originals.)
Old 2006-10-07, 20:53   Link #109
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Perhaps musouka, if you could stop indirectly referring to them as six year old girls, it would be a good start. They are idealized representations of Japanese 15-16 year old girls living in Japan. This would be similar to watching "This is a Wonderful Life". No one acts like that now, but you don't see people saying, "Gee, I wished that they would act more realistic."

Even 6 year old females nowadays aren't all that nice. It all depends on your upbringing and environment. My niece is a terror and does not act like those girls. Truly doubtful that she would ever be as nice as those Kanon girls due to her upbringing and environment.

No, tragic romances ovelap genders, but this title is squarely aimed at the Japanese male population. Catching those female viewers is an added benefit. That's why Yuuichi is nicer in this version imo and Ayu is front and center.

Yeah Mgz, I wish that snow was a foreign word too sometimes. But you know, I love nice quiet snowy nights. That's why the calm of that snow scene was so good.
Old 2006-10-07, 21:13   Link #110
Minoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
I saw a couple of episodes when it first came out, but I don't really remember anything about it. Oddly, I remember having a slightly better reaction to the girls, but I don't really know why. When I talk about Key adaptations, I'm mainly referring to the AIR adaptations. (Oh, and any familiarity with Key in general is from what I've read from various sources. I don't like visual novels, so I haven't played any of the originals.)
Well, the original version didn't try to squeeze in at least a brief appearance of almost every major character in the very first episode, so when the various girls were introduced, they got a bit more screen time and were generally in situations where they could better establish their personalities...that may have been part of it. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the show this time around, and I'll be curious to see if the characters do end up growing on you.
Old 2006-10-07, 21:21   Link #111
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Cant express how happy i was to watch the first episode of the remake. The first that stood out for me was the animation, simply put imo it look freakin great I sware its Air 1000th summer but with a winter theme thats what i first thought at the opening the animation is so similar. Yuuichi seems a little diffrent but not in a bad way. All the charcter are super kawii which i love of course.

This is one of my favorite love animes since i think the writing makes a huge impact especially when we get to explore each girls past and how it relates to their present. Also, the mature comedic parts makes it even more enjoyable Looking forward to more i think i might have to go out and stock up on tissues to watch Kanon again LOL

Did anyone else have serious nastalgia in the first scene with Yuiichi sitting in the snow?
Old 2006-10-07, 21:23   Link #112
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Perhaps musouka, if you could stop indirectly referring to them as six year old girls, it would be a good start. They are idealized representations of Japanese 15-16 year old girls living in Japan. This would be similar to watching "This is a Wonderful Life". No one acts like that now, but you don't see people saying, "Gee, I wished that they would act more realistic."
Your example might make more sense if Kanon had been written/took place more than forty years ago. I think I'd be much more accepting about the characterization if that was the case. Also, I didn't say they were actual six year olds. No, they're idealized six year olds in fifteen year old bodies.

Relax already. I know what ages they're supposed to be. I'm just making a point, and one I don't think is particularly offensive considering it's just based on the first episode and about two characters. (One of which I actually like a lot) I'm not saying it to insult them. I've already admitted there's a distinct possibility that my initial impression is wrong. Kanon has 20+ more episodes to show me the error of my ways.

Last edited by musouka; 2006-10-07 at 21:49.
Old 2006-10-07, 21:52   Link #113
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

musouka, I would be in unison with you had I been watching Kanon for the first time actually... however, I would stay away from that and push a little to orion's point of view on the subject matter. If KyoAni does a good job with putting everything together and gone beyone AIR, you should see a drama behind the reasonings of the way that these characters act. I can say that right now, Kyuichi feels more mature than Yuiichi...

As munto points out, the story did not squeeze everybody in by episode 1 (well they did but in the background). To the veteran of the story, the forshadowing keep things exciting while to newcomers the distraction of such a thing would be kept down.

Kanon is not a harem story. It is written as a tragic emotional romance and started that whole heartbreaker boom that continues till this day. I don't think I will say anymore than that on the matter.

Canon D-dur... we all pointed that out actually. That and several tidbits such as the AIR reference with Rich and Pulpy.

Akiko really is incredable. I won't go into anymore than that. And as I've said before about the snow (I am rather feeling nostalgic of the lack of snow in Vancouver during the last few years really), I can see where Mgz is coming from as dealing with snow's far harder than rain. The OST is beautiful and now true to original, which is wonderful.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-10-07, 23:17   Link #114
orion

I'm totally relaxed.

Totally agree with panzerfan except the watching it at the first time part. When I watched the original Kanon, none of the girls seemed like they were acting like 6 year olds. Sure Ayu was alittle immature in the restraurant in the current Kanon but she rebounded at the end of the episode. Some of Ayu's behaviour is actually central to the story, so it will all balance out in the end. In fact, the parallels were illustrated at the end of the episode as Yuuichi started to remember more because of Ayu's behaviour that day.

The rest females in ep. 1 were acting age appropriate imo.

I like snow more than rain if I'm not driving in it. A really bad rainstorm can be dangerous too where I'm at. Rain can be depressing. Snow is calming imo. But, it smells better at the end of a rainstorm.
Old 2006-10-07, 23:51   Link #115
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

Watching this was a blast from the past.Just the first scene where Yuuichi waits for Nayuki on the bench made me feel nostalgic,as it is nearly the same as in the original anime.Here's a screen from the original followed by one from the 2006 version the original followed by the 2006 version

Old 2006-10-07, 23:55   Link #116
Stalkingtiger777

I've watched this series at least 3x through now, and I think there were some parts in the original I liked better, but this remake is definitely worth dling. I can't wait to see how they are gonna use the extra episodes to better develop the plot line.
Old 2006-10-08, 00:31   Link #117
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
Watching this was a blast from the past.Just the first scene where Yuuichi waits for Nayuki on the bench made me feel nostalgic,as it is nearly the same as in the original anime.Here's a screen from the original followed by one from the 2002 version the original followed by the 2006 version

In the newest one it actually looks more like the real place in Osaka. Not because of the quality but of the surroundings. Minus that tree isn't really there and the benches aren't like that.
Old 2006-10-08, 01:14   Link #118
orion

I like the newer train station better. The design looks more modern and realistic with a wider stairwell to accomodate traffic. Having pedestrians in the background is a plus imo.
Old 2006-10-08, 06:22   Link #119
katsumi
ghostly member

Darklightz thanks for posting that, it's also nice for newbies to Kanon to compare the two versions. The 2006 looks nicer imho, but here I could be partial I agree with orion that the people in the background is a plus.

I just wanted to add in on the argument you guys had on the girls in Kanon and people watching Kanon: Sure, the show is aimed at male viewers, but there definitely are also girls enjoying the show. As one of those seemingly few female viewers I understand what musouka was getting at with her comment about the girls in Kanon and that she was not amused (I wasn't too) to hear generalisations of girls as whores , BUT I guess A) in anime sometimes reality has to stand back and B) future episodes of Kanon sure will work out the girls' characters more, so let's wait and see and have fun meanwhile with Kanon!
And enjoy Ayus ~uguu cuteness

Last edited by katsumi; 2006-10-08 at 06:24. Reason: a 'n' too much
Old 2006-10-08, 07:22   Link #120
luckyovermind
hungry~

I thought that girls will like LEAF more than KEY, but oh well...

Anyway, looking forward to the 2nd episode when some story kicks in XD
Closed Thread