AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-04-04, 21:13   Link #221
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Yup, I was reading on the Zaku II Kai, and that is one mobile suit that's incredibly reliant on fuel.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 03:16   Link #222
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
I always assumed the MS and MA used propulsion from the fusion reactor. Why use burnable fuel when you have an entire nuclear reactor?
Nuclear engines simply provide the electricity (or heat, depending on the system) necessary for the propulsion systems to work, but you're still going to need reaction mass to actually propel anything, and said reaction mass comes from propellant. There's a reason that they need systems like AMBAC to conserve propellant fuel.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 03:33   Link #223
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Which is why UC grunt mobile suits > 00 grunt mobile suits.
Old 2009-04-05, 04:02   Link #224
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

I'm wondering where that sentiment came from all of a sudden, though I don't disagree (at least in terms of the non-GN Drive equipped 00 grunts).

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2009-04-05, 04:21   Link #225
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
I'm wondering where that sentiment came from all of a sudden, though I don't disagree (at least in terms of the non-GN Drive equipped 00 grunts).
00 grunts failed miserably to impress me. Where's the diversity? Anyway, I'll get us back on topic.

Was there an I-Field that was able to block soild rounds? As far as I can recall, that's what put the Big Zam in its place, bullets.
Old 2009-04-05, 04:23   Link #226
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Since my preferences on 00 grunts isn't appropriate in this topic, I'll drop the matter, but I do still think the 00 grunts variety is actually more realistically handled than the strange over-variety of UC.

And I-Fields have never been known to block solid objects, which is why beam shields were developed to compensate.

Old 2009-04-05, 04:27   Link #227
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Was there an I-Field that was able to block soild rounds? As far as I can recall, that's what put the Big Zam in its place, bullets.
I-Field is a barrier dedicated to block only beams, with the only exception of Nu Gundam's.

Nu Gundam's I-Field Delta is almost like a beam shield, it is strong enough to repel even a whole MS when its trapped in the shield. The field can also cut like a beam sword if its extended and something is caught by the field, it will get chopped in half.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 04:28   Link #228
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Isn't the Nu Gundam's Fin Funnel Shield more like a proto beam shield than a pure I-Field?

Old 2009-04-05, 04:28   Link #229
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Since my preferences on 00 grunts isn't appropriate in this topic, I'll drop the matter, but I do still think the 00 grunts variety is actually more realistically handled than the strange over-variety of UC.

And I-Fields have never been known to block solid objects, which is why beam shields were developed to compensate.
Tell me in the 00 mech thread.

Beam shields and I-fields, doesn't seem like much a different to me. They both block beams, what's the difference? How are beam shields able to block bullets and I-Fields aren't?
Old 2009-04-05, 04:30   Link #230
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Beam shields are more like beam sabers redesigned to perform defensive functions, whereas I-Fields are simply minovsky particle lattices, hence why they only affect beam weaponry.

And I don't do comparison arguments for the sake of argument, thanks

Old 2009-04-05, 04:33   Link #231
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

[QUOTE=LoweGear;2321409]Beam shields are more like beam sabers redesigned to perform defensive functions, whereas I-Fields are simply minovsky particle lattices, hence why they only affect beam weaponry.

[B]And I don't do comparison arguments for the sake of argument, thanks [QUOTE]

Heh, you're one of few.
Old 2009-04-05, 04:35   Link #232
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Isn't the Nu Gundam's Fin Funnel Shield more like a proto beam shield than a pure I-Field?
Yes its a proto beam shield and it comes from I-Field technology, so they named it I-Field Delta to differentiate it from normal I-Fields.
Quote:
Beam shiels and I-fields, doesn't seem like much a different to me. They both block beams, what's the difference? How are beam shields able to block bullets and I-Fields aren't?
An I-Field works by having Minovsky Particles emitted in a certain configuration that it has repelling charge or simply disperses incoming Minvosky Particles, beams. It works only on all the Minovsky based beam tech in the UC series.

Beam Shields is basically a flat beam sword, it actually has particle force strong enough to destroy anything that hits it. Its also Minovsky tech, basically instead of just using particles to disperse incoming particles, why not just set the particle rate to destructive levels.

So yes, beam shield's only bad point is that it eats more energy than I-Fields.

Old 2009-04-05, 04:46   Link #233
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Heh, you're one of few.
I only do comparison arguments when it follows from an already existing argument. Since the issue of "UC Grunts > 00 Grunts" turned out to be one of personal taste, and not of tech comparisons as I thought it was, I decided not to bring it up again in the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Yes its a proto beam shield and it comes from I-Field technology, so they named it I-Field Delta to differentiate it from normal I-Fields.
Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Old 2009-04-05, 05:00   Link #234
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
So yes, beam shield's only bad point is that it eats more energy than I-Fields.
I don't quite agree with this idea though. If it does, why wouldn't MS in F91 and beyond be equipped with I-Field instead of just Beam Shield ?

I know they ditch Soild Shield because it's dead weight in favor of Beam Shield. And if technology allows consumption of Energy for I-field to be cut to a munimum, than all MS should have I field as a standard by V Gundam and not just Beam Shield.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 05:29   Link #235
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
I don't quite agree with this idea though. If it does, why wouldn't MS in F91 and beyond be equipped with I-Field instead of just Beam Shield ?

I know they ditch Soild Shield because it's dead weight in favor of Beam Shield. And if technology allows consumption of Energy for I-field to be cut to a munimum, than all MS should have I field as a standard by V Gundam and not just Beam Shield.
Wasn't the reason why mobile suits weren't equipped with I-Field equipment because of the size of said equipment?
Old 2009-04-05, 05:42   Link #236
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Wasn't the reason why mobile suits weren't equipped with I-Field equipment because of the size of said equipment?
The Crossbone X-3 and V2 Assault Buster had one. They manage to reduce the I-Field Generator to MS size by around UC130.
Old 2009-04-05, 06:11   Link #237
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Beam shields are better, IMO, because I-fields still do nothing against kinetic weapons. Beam shields can block bullets, beams, and missiles, thus far more versatile. The main advantage of I-fields is to defend against large warships and their main cannon. The I-field protect the entire mobilesuit from beam blasts in all directions.
Old 2009-04-05, 06:18   Link #238
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Beam shields are better, IMO, because I-fields still do nothing against kinetic weapons. Beam shields can block bullets, beams, and missiles, thus far more versatile. The main advantage of I-fields is to defend against large warships and their main cannon. The I-field protect the entire mobilesuit from beam blasts in all directions.
Yes. I agree. The main problem at hand is that he said that I Field does not consume power as much as a Beam Shield. By that logic , then all MS should have I Field on top of a Beam Shield.
Old 2009-04-05, 06:32   Link #239
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Yes. I agree. The main problem at hand is that he said that I Field does not consume power as much as a Beam Shield. By that logic , then all MS should have I Field on top of a Beam Shield.
Actually, the beam shield doesn't use Minovsky particles to destroy solid projectiles. Like the beam saber, the beam shield is effectively a weak I-field shaped into a hollow shield, filled with plasma. The plasma is what destroys the solid projectiles, not the Minovsky particles.

Part of the reason shield development took so long was the programing issue. They had to code the beam shield to alter its I-field shape whenever it is in danger of cutting off its own limbs.
Old 2009-04-05, 06:49   Link #240
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Actually, the beam shield doesn't use Minovsky particles to destroy solid projectiles. Like the beam saber, the beam shield is effectively a weak I-field shaped into a hollow shield, filled with plasma. The plasma is what destroys the solid projectiles, not the Minovsky particles.

Part of the reason shield development took so long was the programing issue. They had to code the beam shield to alter its I-field shape whenever it is in danger of cutting off its own limbs.
Ah you are correct, I forgot about how beam swords work.

The beam sabre's plasma is held within the field and when the field makes contact with the surface that is targeted, the field breaks upon contact and releases a burst of plasma on the contact point.

And I guess energy consumption is not the real problem.