AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-12-01, 18:45   Link #2881
tcaz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Well, even if we do release before EP6, we're talking less than a week before EP6, since most members of the team have finals. At best, you'd have a single spoiler-free week...and that week has Christmas in it.

But as I said, the decision isn't final yet. If there's a big enough fan response, we might follow that, but I imagine most fans willing to respond will also be the ones willing to read it twice
Of course, but even just a week, for people that really want to discuss it without having to dodge spoilers, that time is golden.

You also have free reign to look up theories at large with no interjection, and not just MADs and fanart.

I mean, do people even really have to read it twice? Couldn't you just release a text file with what you changed, and then patch it later? Or is it whole scenes?

Either way, that's my two cents.
tcaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 18:46   Link #2882
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Quote:
since most members of the team have finals.
I'm with you Only three weeks left
Old 2009-12-01, 19:19   Link #2883
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

For those avoiding spoilers, there is a life outside Umineko... or is there?

In any case, I wouldn't mind waiting for a week for the Episode 5 patch if accuracy is at stake. In any case, it will be worth the wait.

Please watch where you post and tag your spoilers properly if it's allowed.
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 19:24   Link #2884
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

Quote:
Well, even if we do release before EP6, we're talking less than a week before EP6, since most members of the team have finals. At best, you'd have a single spoiler-free week...and that week has Christmas in it.
For me, that week before EP6 comes out, even with Christmas being there, is totally fine. As others said, having a little time where you don't have to DESPERATELY avoid spoilers would be nice.

Especially since a lot of well meaning folks tend to drop future game spoilers in discussions for previous games.

With a series like Umineko, it makes sense but....
lovelysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 19:38   Link #2885
UnknownBeast

Quote:
At best, you'd have a single spoiler-free week...and that week has Christmas in it.
Then that'll be the Best. Week. Ever.

Just gonna be extremely blunt, I'm against this and I hope you guys wont go through with this. I believe a lot of fans and myself had been really looking forward to discuss EP5 before EP6 comes out and look up fanarts, videos and all that, before getting bombarded with EP6 spoilers.

This announcement of a potential later release date hits me extremely hard in the gut. No offense.
UnknownBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 19:39   Link #2886
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcaz2 View Post
Of course, but even just a week, for people that really want to discuss it without having to dodge spoilers, that time is golden.

You also have free reign to look up theories at large with no interjection, and not just MADs and fanart.

I mean, do people even really have to read it twice? Couldn't you just release a text file with what you changed, and then patch it later? Or is it whole scenes?

Either way, that's my two cents.
I agree with this, presuming circumstances would allow for a small text file w/ changed text. I've been staying away from these forums for months, I'd at least like to get a week in to catch up on everything!
Freelii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 19:50   Link #2887
Orophin

I wouldn't mind waiting another week or two if it's for accuracy reasons.
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 19:54   Link #2888
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

To avoid any misconceptions, it's not that we're sitting on a finished translation right now and pondering waiting for EP6 to release it. There are two things at work here: our goal to put out the most faithful translation possible and the fact that yes, we're people like anyone else and have a lot of stuff to take care of outside Umineko.

That said, a release before EP6 isn't out of the question at all, just don't expect it to be more than a few days prior to EP6's release (a week "at best").
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 20:06   Link #2889
UnknownBeast

Hmm.... regarding the part to maintain a faithful translation...

The most faithful translation wont really happen till Umineko actually finishes. So I think flaws, which are temporary and fixable, due to the periodical release nature of Umineko is acceptable.
UnknownBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 20:08   Link #2890
InternHertz
.lone.....

At first I was like "NOOOOOOO " but now, after a bit of reflection, I think it's really in our best interest to wait a week after EP6 to get the EP5 patch.

For one, the translation would be accurate, and for two, well, there are a LOT of games out in December (Cross Days, FF XIII, Zelda, Tales of Graces, ...) so I would need to stop playing them until I finish reading all of EP5

But in the end, do what you want to do, and just don't screw up your finals just because of something you make for FREE
InternHertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 20:10   Link #2891
tcaz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
To avoid any misconceptions, it's not that we're sitting on a finished translation right now and pondering waiting for EP6 to release it. There are two things at work here: our goal to put out the most faithful translation possible and the fact that yes, we're people like anyone else and have a lot of stuff to take care of outside Umineko.

That said, a release before EP6 isn't out of the question at all, just don't expect it to be more than a few days prior to EP6's release (a week "at best").
Yeah, I personally get that. However it's still a question of "Before Episode 6 or after Episode 6?", which even if it's just a few days, can mean a lot to people that really want to read it and discuss it.

If it weren't possible at all for you guys to release it beforehand, I and probably everyone else would understand, because yes you DO have lives (though I still wish you'd update the site more often with percentages...), but you guys did put the possibility out there.

As you said, the people that WOULD likely read it twice are probably the most likely to respond, but those are also the people that are the most active in the theory making community and would be affected most by this.

The people that don't want to read it twice are probably the people that don't read it all in a day or two, and probably either wouldn't get to those places you'd change in the first place in that amount of time, or wouldn't care.

So what's the harm in releasing it earlier?

Hell if it helps, you could think of it as a Christmas present

For a lot of people, this isn't really a choice between "one week or not?" it's a choice between "four+ months or not?"

EDIT: And I'd like to point out, this is all on a 'maybe it'll clear it up'. It's also possible that you might just be waiting a week for nothing, and those ambiguities aren't cleared up for whatever reason.

Either way, it seems like you'd have an 'ambiguous version' (A version) and a 'clear version' (B version), if it does get cleared up, and you're going to change the A version to B version later anyway, right?

So why couldn't you release two versions (since you'll be doing that anyway, one compatible with Episode 5 and one compatible with Episode 6, and you tend to drop older versions from your site as the new ones are released), catalog the changes from A > B in a text file, and release that text file and version B later? Like I said, unless it changes the whole meaning of a scene, it shouldn't that hard to go "oh hey here's what this actually meant". Things like manga scanlations and anime fansubs do this every once in awhile as-is.

Last edited by tcaz2; 2009-12-01 at 20:22.
Old 2009-12-01, 20:12   Link #2892
SD_Nasura

If anything, having to re-read Ep5 will make us sharper in theories/predictions. And of course it would be more than nice to be able to scour the internets safely if only for a week. I can understand why it may take so long to finish, finals are fast approaching at colleges and people would be foolish to not take them seriously.
SD_Nasura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 20:17   Link #2893
ParasolPop

Like most people who care enough to post (especially those who seldom post here), I will read it twice. No question about it.

I was pretty surprised when I heard just a few days ago that you guys were planning on releasing End like, this week/next week. Surprised in a good way, of course. I got pretty hyped up for it, but like that matters, eh? Delaying it another week or two deflates my excitement a bit, even though I totally understand where you're coming from. You want to release the best possible translation you can, and with all the bloody semantics, no wonder you're worried about a few lines.

But some of us are pining away for End now. Like, you may say just a week or two extra, but that's so far away to the people who're anticipating it coming out on say, Friday.

If you're caught in between releasing it now or later, you can just look at how desperate the majority of our comments are. Or if all fails, go ahead and put up a 24 hour poll, or something. You can always release a readme or something with the corrected lines at a later date, anyway.
ParasolPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 20:21   Link #2894
SSonic2006

I personally would not mind reading it twice. So please I would like for you to release the EP. 5 release as soon as possible.
SSonic2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 20:34   Link #2895
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

If people are okay with rereading and understand that the errors are already in the script (I'd really hate for our team to take fire for this when there's nothing we can do about it), then... while I can't speak for the team as a whole, I think you're likely to get your Xmas present.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 20:38   Link #2896
Tigerjackhammer

I registered an account here just to say, that most people would be very happy with the translation with errors in it.

I personally, have heard that you guys were planning on releasing it as soon as this friday, but even if it takes a bit longer, you guys releasing it before Christmas would be amazing (I can safely say that I'm anticipating your patch more than anything else this Christmas)
Tigerjackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 20:40   Link #2897
Used Can

What if you guys add a section in your website for these errors. This way, once you understand how things are, you can point them out in that section and that way people won't have to reread, or, if you think rereading will be necessary to understand the context of a particular line, then perhaps you can also add a reference to the scene, so that people know where to find it.

Well, that may be a bothersome thing to do, but I think that'd allow you to bypass the current errors, without having to delay the release of the patch (or future patches, since the following games are likely to have errors as well).
Old 2009-12-01, 20:42   Link #2898
tcaz2

Quote:
If people are okay with rereading and understand that the errors are already in the script (I'd really hate for our team to take fire for this when there's nothing we can do about it), then... while I can't speak for the team as a whole, I think you're likely to get your Xmas present.
Well that's great, then.

And I'd hope everyone knows that Umineko is a very complex series with a lot of double meanings and foreshadowing, so I at least wouldn't hold it against you even if you did make the mistakes and said nothing about it, to fix it later.

And you guys DO know that the 'Friday release' thing was posted by an anon on /a/, right? >.>

While it would have been great if it was true, I never considered it likely myself.
Old 2009-12-01, 20:42   Link #2899
SD_Nasura

Quote:
Take fire? The fact that you're even doing this and releasing it to the community should exempt you from any criticism you receive with the release, especially since you're telling us up front that they'll be some errors. I'm just thankful that you're translating this fine collection of sound novels.
SD_Nasura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 20:54   Link #2900
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcaz2 View Post
And you guys DO know that the 'Friday release' thing was posted by an anon on /a/, right? >.>

While it would have been great if it was true, I never considered it likely myself.
Ah, so that's where this came from No, we were never planning on having the patch finished either this week or next week. All we said was that we hoped to have the translation and editing finished before EP6.

Regardless of whether we release before or after EP6, we will have everything ready to go before it. Each version we release will slow down our translation of EP6 by a little bit (it takes at least a full day just to package and post everything), but that's all.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation