Notices

Old 2013-06-24, 22:50   Link #30061
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Better scans of the MG Proto Wing Gundam Zero:

(Clickable Thumbnails)

Also, the "Proto" Wing Zero in Glory of the Losers:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2013-06-24 at 23:22.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 00:49   Link #30062
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Being a Wing fan, of course I’m gonna get this as it looks quite nice too, but if the release of this MG Proto Zero means we won’t get MG TV Zero then it really sucks (just like Epyon, Tallgeese, etc).
Old 2013-06-25, 00:56   Link #30063
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Being a Wing fan, of course I’m gonna get this as it looks quite nice too, but if the release of this MG Proto Zero means we won’t get MG TV Zero then it really sucks (just like Epyon, Tallgeese, etc).
What's the problem with it? It retains the overall design of the Wing Zero TV while adding Katoki details to it. It's no different from what they did with the MG Gundam SEED GAT-X series, which added and/or changed details so that they would look better in MG while still retaining the general design.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2013-06-25, 03:24   Link #30064
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
What's the problem with it? It retains the overall design of the Wing Zero TV while adding Katoki details to it. It's no different from what they did with the MG Gundam SEED GAT-X series, which added and/or changed details so that they would look better in MG while still retaining the general design.
It has added details like other Katoki’s designs, yes. But I like the simpler design of the TV version like the ones we already get in the forms of HG 1/100 & 1/60 and RD. Plus, it’s a matter of spirit. This MG clearly stated that this is Wing Proto Zero, not the Wing Zero we know and love (unlike the updated GATX MGs). Instead, it’s a Katoki-redesign of Zero for the Glory of Losers manga. The same thing also happen to MG Epyon EW and some others although design-wise the differences between Epyon TV and Epyon EW are more prominent.
Old 2013-06-25, 04:06   Link #30065
Skye629

Quote:
Better scans of the MG Proto Wing Gundam Zero:

(Clickable Thumbnails)

Also, the "Proto" Wing Zero in Glory of the Losers:

Oh man now it looks even better!

Quote:
The Ver. Ka of this though and the Epyon have more differences than the new GAT MGs, since Katoki went in and messed with the aesthetics

All the GAT series MGs did was change the proportions to "modern" sleeker standards (note that more details and colors dont count, as every MG does that since most series, OVAs/Movies exempt, simply cannot animate all those details and colors without wasting time and money), while the Epyon for example had a chest and wing redesign in particular (while keeping the core elements, like the new Proto Zero's binders)

Man the more I look at the Proto Zero design Im lovin it more and more, its the perfect bridge between the Custom and the TV ver imo

I wonder how its gonna hold the TBR....its bigger/heavier than the Wing TV BR, and it does not have any other way to secure it (unlike the Wing TV ver "claws" to hold it). Maybe foldable pegs and the rear of the guns to peg into slots in the forearm?
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 05:33   Link #30066
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

So the TV Version of Wing Zero is now a prototype....Prototype of what? Wing Zero Custom?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 06:05   Link #30067
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
So the TV Version of Wing Zero is now a prototype....Prototype of what? Wing Zero Custom?
Yup. That's how it is in Glory of Losers manga from what I've heard.
Old 2013-06-25, 07:21   Link #30068
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yup. That's how it is in Glory of Losers manga from what I've heard.
Can't say I favor that.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 07:24   Link #30069
Akyra

They look pretty much the same to me...
Akyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 09:23   Link #30070
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akyra View Post
They look pretty much the same to me...
It depends on your degree of distinguishing factor. If you look at it from the general aesthetic, then yes they’re “the same” just like how Epyon EW & Epyon TV are “the same”. Still, if you’re willing to pay attention to some details, they’re different. Here’s some comparison:

Old 2013-06-25, 09:49   Link #30071
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
All the GAT series MGs did was change the proportions to "modern" sleeker standards (note that more details and colors dont count, as every MG does that since most series, OVAs/Movies exempt, simply cannot animate all those details and colors without wasting time and money), while the Epyon for example had a chest and wing redesign in particular (while keeping the core elements, like the new Proto Zero's binders)
I'm not talking about simple detail additions, the GAT-X series also had lots of changes in aesthetic: see the MG Aile Strike Remaster, where its Aile Striker is very much changed to be sleeker and more "pointy" in the same manner as the wing binders on this Wing Zero, or how the MG Blitz suddenly has a pauldron that now visibly shares the same frame as the Strike (a change a friend kept bitching to me about ), or in general how the weapons for them have sharper aesthetics, with the most drastic being the Aegis' beam rifle and the Duel's railgun, which are quite obviously changed from their incredibly simple originals.

This kind of redesign has actually gone as far back as the early MG's: for example, compare the original images of the Zeta Gundam to the first MG version: You'll find that some parts have undergone drastic shape changes, most prominently the legs which reflect Katoki's later Zeta variant works rather than the more triangular shape of the actual mecha and the later 2.0.

Admittedly there are MG's that stick as close to the actual design as possible, most tellingly the MG Wing Gundam, which is what I think people expected when they want an MG Wing Zero. The actual practice of changing around shapes and details for the Master Grade version though isn't especially new, and in this case I think they did well with the redesign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Based off the naming, which is "Wing Gundam Prototype Zero", I think it's supposed to be the original Wing Zero, aka the basis from which all the Gundams were made in lore. If I'm to make a prediction, I imagine this will be the machine that Quatre would complete and pilot into combat, if GoL will follow that part of the TV series.

Old 2013-06-25, 10:12   Link #30072
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
This kind of redesign has actually gone as far back as the early MG's: for example, compare the original images of the Zeta Gundam to the first MG version: You'll find that some parts have undergone drastic shape changes, most prominently the legs which reflect Katoki's later Zeta variant works rather than the more triangular shape of the actual mecha and the later 2.0.

Admittedly there are MG's that stick as close to the actual design as possible, most tellingly the MG Wing Gundam, which is what I think people expected when they want an MG Wing Zero. The actual practice of changing around shapes and details for the Master Grade version though isn't especially new, and in this case I think they did well with the redesign.
I think we all know that redesign is a part of gunpla since a long time ago. The problem here is Bandai themselves acknowledge that these kits we get (Proto Zero, Epyon EW, Sandrock EW, Deathscythe EW, Shenlong EW, Heavyarms EW, Tallgeese EW) are not the version we’ve been wanting for so long. The proof is there: Bandai were able to release both MGs of Wing EW & Wing TV, but then they shy away from releasing the other TV MGs (aside from the Exclusive Tallgeese II). They can do it, but they won’t. That’s what makes Wing-fans disappointed. Hell, they chose to release the MG of Proto Zero (which hardly known by anybody nor made that great of an impression in the story) instead of the true Wing Zero TV version fans have been waiting for all these years.
Old 2013-06-25, 10:23   Link #30073
kakakka

From what I remember from the teaser months ago, Bandai never hide the fact that they are going to release this as EW re-design. So this is not a surprise; the complains are just the usual and not that big a deal.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 10:48   Link #30074
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
From what I remember from the teaser months ago, Bandai never hide the fact that they are going to release this as EW re-design. So this is not a surprise; the complains are just the usual and not that big a deal.
Exactly like I said above. They deliberately won’t touch the TV version and go with EW/Katoki version instead to push the recent manga’s popularity. The fans of the TV version got side-lined that way.
Old 2013-06-25, 11:23   Link #30075
kakakka

Well, there are many designs that get sideline that would look good as MG. So, all this is the usual ("They should have done this"-lines). I myself is looking forward to TV version of Wing Zero, but I already know there's going to be redesign when they put that image project on. The other time I remember was Nu Gundam redesign. The model, as I look at it now, is great, but there were people complaining about how it's different with the head (lol) and Psychoframe insert.
Old 2013-06-25, 12:15   Link #30076
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Well, there are many designs that get sideline that would look good as MG. So, all this is the usual ("They should have done this"-lines). I myself is looking forward to TV version of Wing Zero, but I already know there's going to be redesign when they put that image project on. The other time I remember was Nu Gundam redesign. The model, as I look at it now, is great, but there were people complaining about how it's different with the head (lol) and Psychoframe insert.
IMO it’s not usual because Bandai actually make MG Wing Zero TV on-principle but deliberately change some of its details (and even its name) to make it into the non-TV version. Unlike those who wish for MG Justice, this MG Wing Proto Zero announcement really feels more like trolling than simply rejecting fans' request.
Old 2013-06-25, 12:31   Link #30077
kakakka

They already hinted this months ago. I hardly think that this announcement trolling.
Old 2013-06-25, 12:40   Link #30078
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
They already hinted this months ago. I hardly think that this announcement trolling.
You don’t get it. It’s not the early hint that matters. It’s Bandai’s intention to avoid the TV version. That’s it.
Old 2013-06-25, 12:54   Link #30079
kakakka

And that's why I said it's just the usual.
Old 2013-06-25, 13:03   Link #30080
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
And that's why I said it's just the usual.
Not if Bandai basically already make 90% of the expected kit but instead labeling it as another. Unlike MG Justice which Bandai have to build from scratch, in this case, they can easily make more profit by releasing the more popular Wing Zero TV, but noooo. They have to avoid the TV version like the plague for some reason. If this is usual to you, then let’s agree to disagree coz we’re just going in circles like this.

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy