AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

View Poll Results: Love Live! The School Idol Movie - Rating
Perfect 10 4 80.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 20.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 0 0%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-09-14, 04:37   Link #121
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

For the record:
Is there actually a run-down barely-held-together-by-duct-tape hotel that they based "The Sunrise Hotel" on, or is it just a generically designed Hollywood Roach Motel?

If the latter, just for morbid curiosity's sake, I'd like to stay there one night to see if Umi-chan was just overreacting to how "Dangerous" it is.

PS.

I spent three days in Brooklyn back in 2014 and let me tell you, SHAME ON YOU HOLLYWOOD AND SEINFELD AND CSI for smearing it as a hole of dirt-drugs-and-violence when it is one of the cleanest and friendliest neighborhoods I've ever been to in a Western Country, filled with some of the sweetest and kindest people I've ever met.

All the same, one night in the crumbling "Sunrise Hotel" just to tick another entry off my Anime-Otaku bucket list.
Old 2015-09-19, 04:57   Link #122
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
For the record:
Is there actually a run-down barely-held-together-by-duct-tape hotel that they based "The Sunrise Hotel" on, or is it just a generically designed Hollywood Roach Motel?
- Maybe not in New York, but there are a few hotels in California that match the description. One in particular comes to mind:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Hotel_(Los_Angeles)

I think Maki doesn't want to book that hotel with you, boys...
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-23, 23:48   Link #123
ditto526

Smile

I just got back from seeing it, a great time was had by all, just very sorry to see them go, still want more of them, also the shipping fans will have some fun with it
if you can see it in the theater, go for it, well worth the money
ditto526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-24, 10:22   Link #124
ditto526

forgot to ask, can anyone tell me who the mystery girl in the movie was?
please put it in a spoiler so as not ruin it for the others who have not seen it
Old 2015-09-25, 00:19   Link #125
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto526 View Post
forgot to ask, can anyone tell me who the mystery girl in the movie was?
please put it in a spoiler so as not ruin it for the others who have not seen it
Well, for the want of a better comparison, I point you to "Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol"
Spoiler:
Old 2015-09-25, 09:54   Link #126
ditto526

Thanks for the information
Old 2015-10-11, 04:39   Link #127
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Well, for the want of a better comparison, I point you to "Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol"
Spoiler:
Thanks for clarification too.

I also thought that its Honoka's future but the color of hair reminds me of her little sister then the voice reminds me of Maki. I've become confuse on her identify.

I just watched the movie and its a good one.

Really liked the dance and song.

When is the release of bluray/dvs?
Old 2015-10-11, 09:28   Link #128
ditto526

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Thanks for clarification too.

I also thought that its Honoka's future but the color of hair reminds me of her little sister then the voice reminds me of Maki. I've become confuse on her identify.

I just watched the movie and its a good one.

Really liked the dance and song.

When is the release of bluray/dvs?
No word from NIS America about the release date, however you can preorder the real version with sub titles from Japan, i have already ordered mine from Amazon japan,with a release of Dec 13, just in time for Christmas
Old 2015-10-12, 21:40   Link #129
Yye1
Wide Right

So a few things on the movie, as I got around to a reshowing. Just a couple of tidbits about the portrayal of New York in the series. First, when someone bumps into you near a subway entrance in NYC, you are more likely to be cursed at than being told sorry.
Secondly, if I were Honoka, I would bathe myself in disinfectants after coming in bareskin contact with the subway floor and the subway platform.
Finally, I do not think the S train exists, I know there is a S shuttle.

Aside from these observations about New York, I found the movie to be enjoyable. I hope for more anime material, but if not, I will enjoy the inevitable crossover between Sunshine and original LL.

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
-The Great Philosopher Chris Rock
Yye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-15, 11:56   Link #130
FlavoryFantasy
♪~Deculture~♪ (✿◠‿◠)

BD came out within the past 24 or so hours. Can't wait to see more people's thoughts on the movie! (least those that couldn't see an international showing) Along with rewatching myself later/soon.... Must...see....certain scenes again and again o/

Last edited by FlavoryFantasy; 2015-12-15 at 12:17.
FlavoryFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-16, 13:15   Link #131
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I watched the Love Live! Movie last night. I then re-watched certain scenes of it again this morning.

Perhaps the most important thing to say about it is this - It's a beautiful movie. In every way. The audiovisuals are just about flawless, given what the movie seems to be aiming for. It's also a very emotionally beautiful and strong movie, particularly on re-watch.

To save space, and also to avoid spoiling anybody who hasn't seen the movie yet, I'll be discussing it in more detail in the spoiler space below

Spoiler for Love Live! The School Idol Movie:

An excellent movie, that I strongly recommend to all Love Live! fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yye1 View Post
So a few things on the movie, as I got around to a reshowing. Just a couple of tidbits about the portrayal of New York in the series. First, when someone bumps into you near a subway entrance in NYC, you are more likely to be cursed at than being told sorry.
Maybe the movie writer(s) confused Americans with Canadians.

Quote:
I hope for more anime material, but if not, I will enjoy the inevitable crossover between Sunshine and original LL.
Before watching this movie, I was hoping for such a crossover. Now I'm not so sure. Aqours have awfully big boots to fill, and maybe being reminded of who owns those boots would make it even that much harder for Aqours to pull it off. If μ's does show up in person in Love Live! Sunshine, it probably should be something short and sweet, in the last or 2nd last episode of Sunshine.
Old 2015-12-16, 21:29   Link #132
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I'm in the middle of watching the movie, but I've stopped in the middle of it so many times. I'm about to cry; all this is too much for me to handle. Maybe if I never finish the movie, Love Live will be forever, right?................right?

edit: best movie of the year. best goddamn movie of the year. Best movie of the world.

Last edited by blakstealth; 2015-12-16 at 21:56.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-16, 22:01   Link #133
FlavoryFantasy
♪~Deculture~♪ (✿◠‿◠)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
I'm in the middle of watching the movie, but I've stopped in the middle of it so many times. I'm about to cry; all this is too much for me to handle. Maybe if I never finish the movie, Love Live will be forever, right?................right?

edit: best movie of the year. best goddamn movie of the year. Best movie of the world.
Oh baby! blakstealth bro....you didn't prepare tissues before hand in case of crying?
Old 2015-12-17, 02:52   Link #134
Ernietheracefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Spoiler for Love Live! The School Idol Movie:

Spoiler:

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 04:04   Link #135
Nork22

I'm planning to rewatch it again this weekend at my folk's place since they are nearly finish setting up their home theater room. 92" of glory!
Old 2015-12-17, 08:11   Link #136
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavoryFantasy View Post
Oh baby! blakstealth bro....you didn't prepare tissues before hand in case of crying?
it was a spur of the moment decision to watch this movie. I had just finished my last final exam yesterday, so I wanted to treat myself. I wasn't emotionally prepared for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork22 View Post
I'm planning to rewatch it again this weekend at my folk's place since they are nearly finish setting up their home theater room. 92" of glory!
christ almighty

but yeah, this beats out every single movie of 2015. I dunno how Star Wars can top it. Sorry, JJ.
Old 2015-12-17, 10:46   Link #137
MartianMage

I liked the movie overall but to be honest I can't really get behind their reasoning why they can't keep on doing their idol activities. I mean if they still decided to break up then I guess that's that it's just that the reasoning behind is... iunno... "cause we like being school idols!" just doesn't do it for me.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 11:44   Link #138
Ernietheracefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
I liked the movie overall but to be honest I can't really get behind their reasoning why they can't keep on doing their idol activities. I mean if they still decided to break up then I guess that's that it's just that the reasoning behind is... iunno... "cause we like being school idols!" just doesn't do it for me.
In my perspective (I'm the motorsport racing fan), that would be like this:
School idol= Amateur/semi-pro race driver (InitialD).
Professional idol= Pro race driver.

BTW, they're school idol, not professional..

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.

Last edited by Ernietheracefan; 2015-12-17 at 13:22.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-17, 11:47   Link #139
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

It's because they won't be school idols anymore. They would just be regular idols. I guess there's a big difference between the two, and the second season and movie really tried to convey that as silly as it sounds to us. u's is made up of the OG 9 girls from Otonokizaka High school, and anything different won't be u's anymore.

that's how I interpret it, anyway.
Old 2015-12-17, 12:03   Link #140
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
μ's never really embraced the J-Pop idol industry in general. At least not in the anime. We never see μ's interacting with an idol agency-based idol group, or a non-school affiliated idol group. Since Episode 1, μ's and the Love Live! anime has been all about school idols. There's no idol managers, and no idol agencies, anywhere to be seen. Here I see a stark contrast between Love Live! and other idol anime like iDOLM@STER and Wake Up Girls. The difference between general J-Pop idols and school idols really does come across strongly in Love Live, when you consider what some other idol anime shows are like.

So it makes some sense to me that this distinction matters to μ's, and I even think it might be one of the main reasons why the LL! anime sold much better than other idol anime shows. Maybe a lot of anime fans aren't interested much in idol industry conflicts and shenanigans, and are just interested in seeing sparkling school spirit draped in the flashy attire and fun music of the J-Pop idol. I think the school part of "school idol" mattered just as much to μ's as the idol part did. It might have even mattered more to them - Let's not forget what the main goal of Season 1 was: saving the school.

Still, now that I think about it... It really is pretty surprising that you don't have a rich businessman trying to cash-in on μ's success, especially post-New York trip. Kind of surprising you don't have some wealthy idol agency owner walking right into the Homura and offering Honoka and her friends 90 million yen (10 million each) to join his idol agency and become a star attraction for him.

I kinda hope Love Live! Sunshine does something like this, since it would be one way for it to stand out from the original Love Live!

And if you want to be hopeful and optimistic, maybe this is one way μ's could come back in the future. Maybe you could have a Love Live! movie a few years down the road, centered around the plot of an aspiring businessman trying to bring μ's back together after they're all graduated from high school and are in their early 20s.