Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-26, 09:33   Link #641
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Oh, but there is, Islam, out of fear some chinese islamists might become members of alqaeda and bomb tokyo just because some gay vampire was reading the coran while giving evil orders to his lackeys. Maybe we catholics should reinstate the inquisition and go against a certain magical index >_< </rant off>
Islam? There is at least one middle-eastern girl who got starred in a certain fanservice harem TV series recently.

No, Japan doesn't fear Islam, the same reason it doesn't recognise Judaism. Some things just don't exist there. Japan has their own home-grown suicidal cults to deal with, but not Islamic ones.

And Catholics already fought a war against Protestants on Japanese soil a while back. You did enough damage there as it is. Couldn't even keep your holy wars to yourself, that you had to cross the Pacific and fight in someone else's country who had nothing to do with you.
Old 2012-04-26, 09:34   Link #642
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
He's missing his fork on the weapons list .
I wouldn't know how to fill in the rest of the character sheet. Even going by Call of Cthulhu 6th Edition (where I got this from), "student" isn't even a valid occupation -- it's the stage BEFORE you get into a profession. The closest I could think of is "Professor", and it's not a good fit either, unless someone can point me to a supplement that gives pointers on making alternative professions...
Old 2012-04-26, 09:43   Link #643
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Islam? There is at least one middle-eastern girl who got starred in a certain fanservice harem TV series recently.
Please do not confuse the tern "arabic" with "islamic", it is akin to saying that by mocking my tacos you mock my religion
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 09:49   Link #644
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Please do not confuse the tern "arabic" with "islamic", it is akin to saying that by mocking my tacos you mock my religion
And you think the Japanese care about the difference?

That's my point; Japan will make fun of anything, and that's the way it should be. But you can't make fun of something unless your audience actually know what it is that you are making fun of. That's why the SZS series had plenty of religious jokes concerning Japanese cults, but nothing on Islam that I remember. And not out of fear; there just isn't any presence of Islam in Japan. Their isolationist past means most foreign cultures never got in until the Black Ships.
Old 2012-04-26, 09:56   Link #645
Random Wanderer

Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 10:02   Link #646
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Well, in a thread where madness rules, we're worried about being off-topic? I'd say that was a feeble attempt at using intellectual debate to keep SAN scores up against the indomitable onslaught of Nyarl moe.
Old 2012-04-26, 10:07   Link #647
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Well, in a thread where madness rules, we're worried about being off-topic? I'd say that was a feeble attempt at using intellectual debate to keep SAN scores up against the indomitable onslaught of Nyarl moe.
Still, I find the idea of Lovecraft stuff being "sacred" ironic.

After all, "Blasphemous" is one of Lovecraft's favourite descriptive words. The entire point of the Abominations in his stories is that they are the very opposite of sacred. They are not suppose to exist, no one in the stories want them to exist, but they do. And all mortals could do is deal with it or go mad. Being sacrilegious with Lovecraft lore is, perhaps, being authentic in a round-about way.
Old 2012-04-26, 10:17   Link #648
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Well checked out the first episode of this...

What the heck? H. P. Lovecraft is rolling around in his grave somewhere. It seems there's nothing sacred in Japan. This is definitely not for me. Dropped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
For as much as it warps the concepts of Lovecraft into an anime mold, it's still being respectful to them while warping. Parody, when done right, can be an excellent genre. And someone as straight-faced and hyperserious as Lovecraft was asking for someone to poke fun at him anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Lovecraft, as a writter, wasn't as straight up as you said. He was documented as being very liberal with his works and allow others to copy his ideas wholesale.

Knowing the roots of his inspirations, he even acknowledge that none of the concepts were originally his and gave credits mostly to Poe and Dunsany.

If he were alive today, I'm sure he will appreciated what Nayruko is.
Lovecraft and the gang were actually rather fond of self-parody within their own works. For example, Robert Bloch actually inserted Lovecraft as a character in "The Shambler From the Stars" and fed him to what the Call of Cthulhu game would end up calling a Star Vampire. Not to be outdone, Lovecraft then made Bloch the protagonist of "The Haunter of the Dark" and fed him to Nyarko (which is the story that gave us the Shining Trapezohedron, btw).

I doubt that Lovecraft would have appreciated a parody like Nyarko-san, but that's because of a seventy-year cultural gap making the actual content of the show head-tiltingly out of reach for him, not because of any belief that his work shouldn't be parodied.

Of course, whether a particular viewer finds Nyarko-san actually funny or not is a matter of personal taste. But I certainly don't think it's an offense to the spirit of the original Mythos work.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 10:21   Link #649
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
That's my point; Japan will make fun of anything,
Yet you fail at providing one example of them mocking Islam. Case Closed.

Checking ANN forum's I found the ratings Haiyore! Nyaruko-san so far are 1% and 0.8%, I suppose then there is no problem if they use most of the LN material since the chances of second season seem slim :/ Yes, I am greedy :-p
Old 2012-04-26, 10:46   Link #650
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post

I doubt that Lovecraft would have appreciated a parody like Nyarko-san, but that's because of a seventy-year cultural gap making the actual content of the show head-tiltingly out of reach for him, not because of any belief that his work shouldn't be parodied.

That's what crossed my mind. His frame of references would be, to say the least, outdated. This is in line with what Tarantino said about how he writes his characters, iirc, I think that's in an old french cinema journal. It's something along the lines of "someone who have grown up in an era when the main media is the radio may not grasp the references of one who was feed with TV."

It's akin to the cultural gap between someone born in the 1980s and someone born in the 1990s. I do live that thing evey days with my younger siblings.
Old 2012-04-26, 10:51   Link #651
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:

Checking ANN forum's I found the ratings Haiyore! Nyaruko-san so far are 1% and 0.8%, I suppose then there is no problem if they use most of the LN material since the chances of second season seem slim :/ Yes, I am greedy :-p
I also check those forums and I am amazed at the misinformation on that site. And one of the reviewers, Carlo Santos, is a huge moron(see if Shounen Jump Alpha "review" and his Fate/Zero biased bash "review").

Anyway, ratings only matter for daytime shows(like Uchuu Kyoudai and Hunter X Hunter) and NoitaminA(which depend on ratings more than most other late night slots since NoitaminA tends to broadcast Quality series that don't match up with Otaku tastes. See Sakamichi No Apollon as the latest example, and let's just pretend Guilty Crown didn't happen)

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san airs really late at night where ratings would tend to be low. 1% is actually pretty good for a late night anime. And anyway, most late night anime depend on BD(and DVD, but mostly BD these days. DVD sales hit means that fujoushi love the show) sales and from what I hear, this series is topping the pre-orders and has quite a bit of stalker points, although I'd let others verify that. If this series sells over 10k, then a second season is very likely.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 10:57   Link #652
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
The point is if Lovecraft is somehow immortal and survive into the modern era, I do not believe he will find Nyaruko offensive. The idea of Nylathotep in the guise of teenage female trying to drive a man insane by confusion and seduction for purpose only known to itself isn't beyond Lovecraft.

In anycase, Cthulhu Mythos will not be as popular or influential today if Lovecraft had exert an iron grip on his creation.

Quote:
You can't parody what you do not know or understood.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 11:00   Link #653
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
What kind of example do you require? Would a doujin be enough?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 11:10   Link #654
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

As others pointed out, you have entirely missed my argument. They don't CARE about Islam. They know nothing about it. But if you insist I can pretend you won the argument.

As for the ANN forums... I assume then, that you don't have access to the NicoNico website? Where Nyaruko is broadcast live?

I have no idea what you are on about, but the fact that you didn't understand what I wrote earlier despite my attempts to explain, clearly show that it is futile to continue this discussion. You may continue to believe whatever you want, if that's enough to keep you happy.
Old 2012-04-26, 11:10   Link #655
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
You can't parody what you do not know or understood.
Ha! I clearly remember how in an School Rumble episode there was an episode where they travel to Mexico and the "city" was made out of f*ck*ng piramids O_o; so don't tell me people research in full before doing a parody. I do admit that parodies in most animes are well researched, which is quite refreshing.
Old 2012-04-26, 11:13   Link #656
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Oh come on, most of portrayal of foreign countries in anime are far from being accurate. In Noir, I couldn't help but laugh at it.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 11:14   Link #657
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

Prepare for disappointment, because ratings are irrelevant for a series like this. Only BD/DVD sales matter, and stalker points indicate this show is going to be a major hit.

It's hard to imagine a series less deserving of the kind of self-righteous nonsense in this argument. Lovecraft himself would find the idea of calling his work "sacred" hilarious, and I like the fact that Japan is willing to make fun of just about anything, including it's own "sacred" culture. But as has been pointed out, making fun of things a Japanese audience wouldn't understand serves no purpose.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 11:24   Link #658
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
What kind of example do you require? Would a doujin be enough?
A doujin is far from a mass market item (quite the opposite actually) which might led an imam to believe that the whole japanese society is against islam <-- is someone has a better understanding of why someone might incite violence over a drawing or animation feel free to fill me in on the details.</rant>

Back on track, err, Nyaruko for president!
Old 2012-04-26, 12:05   Link #659
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
While it wasn't 6th Edition, I just used the "Student" occupation from the Investigator's Companion Volume 2 from Chaosium, as I thought it was close enough.

Caveats apply. Cthulhu Mythos Score might actually be HIGHER in reality, while current Sanity Points are likely much MUCH lower.

Spoiler for Mahiro Yasaka, CoC experimental:
Old 2012-04-26, 13:08   Link #660
DorkingtonPugsly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
More freebies.
Thanks, I'll be taking this one. Gotta show the world my Nyarko love!

Last edited by DorkingtonPugsly; 2012-04-26 at 13:27.
DorkingtonPugsly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, light novel adaptation, loli, parody, romance, seinen, shounen, trap