AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-09-21, 04:45   Link #61
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
There's a chance we could see dual audio, though i'm not getting my hopes up. Either way i'll end up playing, because i won't let a dub destroy the experience. Especially when i've replayed P4 a few times already with the same dub.
Same here. And actually the dub is very solid (Especially for the male roles, Goddamn I love Yosuke and Daichi's voice)
Old 2011-09-21, 05:56   Link #62
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
^Or you could just use homebrew to play on undub. If there's issues like morality or w/e, buy the game and then dl it with audio changed to the original. I played P3 with JP audio w/ eng subs.. the dub was awful.

Dual audio is unlikely.. If only the game was released by NIS America, then there would be one . Gotta love that company for realizing that we want dual audio in our JRPG's.
Old 2011-09-21, 06:13   Link #63
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
^Or you could just use homebrew to play on undub. If there's issues like morality or w/e, buy the game and then dl it with audio changed to the original. I played P3 with JP audio w/ eng subs.. the dub was awful.

Dual audio is unlikely.. If only the game was released by NIS America, then there would be one . Gotta love that company for realizing that we want dual audio in our JRPG's.
Well we still dunno if Vita can use homebrew, I'll buy this game no matter what if I get Vita, I don't really mind with the dub.

P4 is awhole on another level than P3's dub btw, P3 dub is a wack job. Although people with mindset like you will raging so hard when hearing Chie's voice on first time (its grew on me tho, Yukiko's another topic)

And the lolis actually doesn't sound bad.
Old 2011-09-21, 08:59   Link #64
EmagEvil

I played the dub and undub, it's a better work than with P3...

... But personally i prefer to hear the original voices; like i always watch original version movies with subtitles...
EmagEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 01:31   Link #65
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:

My approach too with PS2, unfortunately won't work for PS3, dunno about PSP and Vita, only recently bought the first, and after getting mortified by P3P, picked up Disgaea and some fighting games.

Anyway, dual audio would be great, but unlikely considering that very few companies make executive decisions based on their target audience, rather play safe by the book, meaning risk expansion instead of solidifying market hold.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 01:47   Link #66
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Normally I'd probably go right with the Japanese voices if a dual audio was available, but after beating the game 3 times or so don't think I'd change from the English cast. Think just listening to the anime is going to throw me off for a few episodes just for the different voices. Besides Chie early on (she actually turned out fine later in the game) the voice work was pretty good for the dub so I'm not going to worry about it either way.
Old 2011-09-23, 11:23   Link #67
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
You guys are crazy, the english Dub is more than excellent...
I also really appreciated Disgaea 4 US Dub.
Old 2011-09-23, 11:40   Link #68
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

It's the same for the Japanese gamers as well when they play a game from the western community, they would rather the original English voice than the Japanese dubs.

It's just a more authentic experience, playing the game the way it was meant to be.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 12:19   Link #69
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

I guess it's their job ,voice actors, to provide us with such experience in any language.
But sometimes it doesnt work because of some cultural differences. In Persona's case, the whole "-san, -senpai, -kun, -chan" thing doesnt fit well for americans since such sufixes are unique to JP.
Old 2011-09-23, 14:56   Link #70
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

I found the dub for Persona 3 perfectly fine. I think people need to visit Audio Atrocities to hear what a truly awful video game dub job sounds like. Just listen to any of the Sega ones.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 16:44   Link #71
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Of course there's a lot worse dubbing out there, it's just that Persona games are quite long and involved and include a lot of voiced material.

If you enjoy the dub, good on you, just remember that not everyone does and inclusion of both voices makes everyone happy.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 21:16   Link #72
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

To clarify my position; I'm glad that they leave the sufixes like "sempai" and "San" and "Chan" etc and kept alot of the distinct Japanese Culture/Words in the story, but at the same time you can't help but feel weird hearing it being used in perfect English
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 21:19   Link #73
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
You guys are crazy, the english Dub is more than excellent...
I also really appreciated Disgaea 4 US Dub.
For americans, probably... not even english-speaking countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
I guess it's their job ,voice actors, to provide us with such experience in any language.
But sometimes it doesnt work because of some cultural differences. In Persona's case, the whole "-san, -senpai, -kun, -chan" thing doesnt fit well for americans since such sufixes are unique to JP.
You realize that you play a japanese game, butchered for americans... not to mention the 90% of mankind that has to cope with either the original language or something based on it
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 22:13   Link #74
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I prefer everything in its original language. Some Japanese dialogues just don't work in English and vice versa. All I want is for them to give me an option to choose.

....Heck, I wouldn't bother if I finished my Japanese course. 1 and a half year still isn't enough to play a simple RPG.
Old 2011-09-24, 03:51   Link #75
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I prefer everything in its original language. Some Japanese dialogues just don't work in English and vice versa. All I want is for them to give me an option to choose.
Well its still better than nothing even if there's no option.

Quote:
....Heck, I wouldn't bother if I finished my Japanese course. 1 and a half year still isn't enough to play a simple RPG.
Urgh, there goes my motivation to learn.

I really want to learn some japanese, even if its only help me reading inventory and not lost in the game, its fine.
Old 2011-09-24, 06:56   Link #76
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Yea! why bother dubbing a japanese game into the english monkey talk? Japanese language sounds so much cooler, even transform! sounds cooler in japanese.................
Old 2011-09-24, 07:46   Link #77
Kazu
Flowing

well i like to listen to both, but yes there are somethings in english that wont work in japanese and vice versa, although some japanese made characters i cant even imagine in japanese, like the resident evil characters or dmc characters, when i listened to wesker and dante in japanese, they didnt have that same flair
Old 2011-09-24, 08:00   Link #78
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Yea! why bother dubbing a japanese game into the english monkey talk? Japanese language sounds so much cooler, even transform! sounds cooler in japanese.................
Just like a lot of people said, there are instances that a game sounds better (or rather, sounds right) if it is voiced in its original language. Persona is categorized under that even though I do love the dubs (particularly, Rise's. Mission Control with KugiRie's high pitch for 500x battles = DO NOT WANT. ). I don't think many in this thread who wants the original Japanese voices to be preserved really think "OMG JAPANESE IS SUPERIOR TO ENGLISH, LIKE, 10000000x. ENGLESH DUB FAIL", but rather have the belief that dub (not only JP->Eng, but every dubs available) sounds... Weird, alien and just cannot fully convey the original in its full form. Or so I hope.

Alas, P4 has a great dub, which is why we have two opposing sides here

As for P4G, I have no doubt if Atlus USA localize it, they will dub it. It's just their policy and belief, after all, that if you localize something, you better give all out good localization (i.e: no moonspeak). The suffixes (-san, etc) aside, for whatever reasons lol Not really a big problem for me though, considering I usually just shoot for the Japanese release first for JRPG.

Last edited by Natsuki Hyuga; 2011-09-24 at 08:17. Reason: Adding sth lol
Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-24, 10:17   Link #79
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

That's true, Devil May Cry is a Japanese "americanizated" game.

That's why I think Dante and the whole cast sounds natural in english.
inb4 fill soul with liiiiiiiiight.
Old 2011-09-24, 13:28   Link #80
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Anyone have japanese master chief? or japanese mario? XD it ALL DEPENDS on the character and game :P

the new DMC's dante voice acter fits his look pretty good.