AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 03 Rating
Perfect 10 12 10.26%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 32.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 38 32.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 14.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 6.84%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.85%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.71%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-25, 00:58   Link #61
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
1. On 2channel, the early consensus was that ep3 is better than ep2 is better than ep1. I think that was probably a matter of getting used to the style and adjusting one's expectations. I think this show pretty much is what it is, and if you can get into its groove, you can enjoy it. The conversations about entering contests and about twins were simple classics that I'm sure we are going to remember, whether we laughed out loud at them or not.

2. As for Aya "overshadowing" her character in the song, we are talking about an ED (sort of) here. Some people complained about no ED before, now the otherwise sensible Vexx complains when we almost get one, and Aya sings it so beautifully. One of this show's strengths is its self-refentiality and breaking the fourth wall. Get used to it. I'm sure that Akira-sama's comments in ep1 were meant to make us think of Aya, the former child star, who may still not be in control of her own finances.

Kaioshin, I am really looking forward to hearing Aya sing that whole song -- and I am sure we will get to, whether on a character CD or elsewhere. Maybe there will be both character CDs and ED compilations. We'll see. And I'm not trying to tease you here, I really do look forward to hearing them.

3. Being a bit of a walking encyclopedia myself (i.e., didactic and boring), I love that aspect of Miyuki. I also like her insecurity, and even her klutziness. It's always better for someone who's perfect to have faults, lol. And her courteous perfection is such a contrast with Kona-chan's "get". I think Anh_Minh makes some sense, though, too: they have to be careful with the Kona-Kagami dominance. But of course, I am most looking forward to the appearance of Sasaki Nozomi's character, Patty Martin.

4. Funniest bits of ep3: Kona-chan fanning herself on the train. Kona-chan telling Miyuki "Good Job." Akira-sama moving over. That last thing was brilliant. I loved how neatly they timed it.
Well they kind of set a precedent that Konata is like the average Japanese salaryman walking into a Karaoke Salon and completely butchering a song. Now to suddenly have her be an uber singer doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't she have done all the songs before extremely well.

I think its 1/2 not wanting to mangle a song from a newer series that fan's may be attached too (plus a series they are involved in) and 1/2 the fact that the song licenses are relatively cheap and they want to push a character image CD with her version of Sorega Ai Deshou on it. Sure it's nice, but its out of place. If they do a version of all three renditions it will just kind of be ridiculous. Why one song and not the other two. It seems like they chickened out of it or something, like they previewed two episodes before a test audience and got the thumbs down on the endings and scrapped the idea of bad karaoke ending all together for episode 3 onwards in favour of a semi traditionall melody. We'll know by episode 4 if that's the case or not.

Keep in mind this isn't me saying I don't want her to use her singing abilility, but that this is strictly speaking in terms of it not fitting the character. Kona is not Aya Hirano, and it seemed they were pushing the Voice Actor in this ending rather than the quirky character for commerical purposes. I'm sure it's likeable, but it mucks with the characters established ability. Had she been previously established to be a talented singer then I wouldn't be analyzing the ending at all.
Old 2007-04-25, 01:04   Link #62
Cai Calamigarde
Memento mori...

I was wondering;
why are they talking about smells everytime when the screen switches in while they are talking each other.
Old 2007-04-25, 02:09   Link #63
mouhitori

My take on the ending karaoke debacle:

The type of songs in eps 1& 2 is somewhat different from sore ga ai deshou (eps 3).
Even if you can sing them "properly", they are the type of songs that are probably more fun to sing if we just let go, the way Konata did.

For the type of songs like "sore ga ai deshou", singing it "properly" is probably most enjoyable.

Then again, with the mountain of theories already proposed, who knows which one is closest to the truth. Maybe they just want to keep it unpredictable!

Aside from that, the rest of the episode remains enjoyable to me.
The Konata fan, ps2 duel, and the Kagami homework counter-attack are the highlights for me.
Old 2007-04-25, 02:45   Link #64
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm kind of interested in hearing the song choices of the remaining girls. Before ep 3, I had this idea that out of all of them, it'd turn out that only Tsukasa could carry a tune. Oh well....

(goes back to puddling through the manga, looking stuff up and scratching my head).
Old 2007-04-25, 03:15   Link #65
Hagges01
Special UFO Hunter

Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-25, 07:12   Link #66
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Things I learned from this episode...
  • Always carry a newspaper when riding the train in Tokyo. Don't be that guy who doesn't know whether to ignore the schoolgirl or look away.
  • Konata has been in high school for ten years? Her father was going to buy her a Pippen or a 3D0.... But then they throw out PS2 which is an entirely different generation. Notice that there was no mention what she'd get for an "A".
  • Never underestimate an otaku's grasp of obscure trivia.
  • Indoor stadiums have ruined baseball. (I agree!)
  • "Moe" is a public service.
  • Minoru might be out of a job next week, after the last thing he said to Akira.

My favorite yet. Including anime references that even I know. PPD, and Wedding Peach... couldn't stop laughing after that because I saw it coming. And the "sausage and egg" pun was brilliant.

~meh~ on the karaoke, because it also sounds a bit like they ran it through the digital signal processor from hell. I think it was just a blatant obligatory self-reference, and setting up Kagami singing the next song.

I can't get enough of that pink bundle of manic loli evilness that is Akira.
Old 2007-04-25, 07:40   Link #67
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
And the "sausage and egg" pun was brilliant.
Can you explain that part to me? Why did Konata say "all this talk about sausage and egg is making her hungry"?

My take on the ending Karaoke, I think the singing was off character, but give Hirano Aya some slack. It's hard enough to sing in-character; singing well in-character is exceedingly hard and I've never heard any seiyu pull this off (if the character talks and sounds like an anime character rather than a real person that is). And singing off key for every ending song is going to get stale.

In short, could've been better, but I'm satisfied.
Old 2007-04-25, 08:03   Link #68
Demel

Quote:
Konata has been in high school for ten years? Her father was going to buy her a Pippen or a 3D0.... But then they throw out PS2 which is an entirely different generation. Notice that there was no mention what she'd get for an "A".
In the manga it was stated that getting into the school earned Konata a PS2 and a new com. Guess how hard she worked for that.

Akira is the cutest and most evil thing ever XD
Old 2007-04-25, 08:27   Link #69
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
Can you explain that part to me? Why did Konata say "all this talk about sausage and egg is making her hungry"?
I missed LevelE's notes and he's hidden them now until his sub is released. So I'll have to go with what LC has to say about it. (Yeah, I know I said I wasn't going to watch them. But 98MB is cheap and I'm impatient.)

Spoiler for it's a pun:

Quote:
And singing off key for every ending song is going to get stale.
I'd have been fine with it. Karaoke is supposed to sound horrible.
Old 2007-04-25, 08:50   Link #70
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Japanese word for twin sounds like "sausage", And "tamago" (egg) is also used when describing twins. Or something like that. Someone who knows the language better can provide a more specific explanation
By the word egg, they are talking about the word ovum.
Old 2007-04-25, 09:51   Link #71
aorta

Quote:
[*] Konata has been in high school for ten years? Her father was going to buy her a Pippen or a 3D0.... But then they throw out PS2 which is an entirely different generation. Notice that there was no mention what she'd get for an "A".
At the time of her entrance exams the PS2 was the best and the other two are just old and horrible. You can buy older game systems. The Pippin and 3DO are just 2 examples of obscure dead consoles, they could have easily used older systems (but most people would consisder even the Famicom to be better than those two).
Old 2007-04-25, 09:53   Link #72
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Pretty much liked Konata&Kagami duo. (the harmony between them is just too good... konata giving punch lines for kagami wins)

the amount of puns, easter eggs etc is pretty large, but the pace is really fluent ^^

as for the ED, fankly, i disliked it for 2 reasons :
-just like vexx said, the fact Hirano-san blurt her "serious" voice out of the blue is something really weird, and doesn't really suit the scene.
-While i'm a big fan of her voice, i just thought that she doesn't fit the style of the song at all. (i didn't feel any smooth feeling and such).

Perhaps i'm too conservative, but i couldn't really appreciate the tunes she gave for "sore ga ai deshou". (and i don't think the "karaoke effect" would be the reason, it is the voice, nothing else)
and before you ask : i'm a big fan of the original OP.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2007-04-25 at 10:05.
Old 2007-04-25, 10:00   Link #73
KeiKei-chan
A Great Friend !~!~!~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
I know, rather unnecessary, but I love this OP:

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu OP

I dare you not to loop this one .
Mikuni Shimokawa is one of my favourtie singer.
Old 2007-04-25, 10:06   Link #74
aorta

Can anyone explain the card Konata has? Ladybug #3 Punk Version.
Old 2007-04-25, 10:48   Link #75
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Do you remember her saying that it was better to apply for not that popular gifts? That way you increased your winning chances.
Old 2007-04-25, 10:54   Link #76
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I'd be willing to bet its next episode. Then Lost My Music, Then Hare Hare Yukai, Then Bouken Deshou Deshou, Then the Kanon Theme, Then the Kanon ending, Then the Air ending, Then the Full Metal Panic Second Raid Opening, Then the last episode will probably advertise the Clannad Theme. I'm pretty sure they are done with the old themes from metal hero shows and are just going to advertise the older shows they worked on now. My gut tells me so.

Mind telling me if the Quiz and Puzzle Game is one of those arcade machines with limited questions, or Quiz and Puzzle Game about stuff she digs.

And wait.... since when is fanservice a Kyoto Animation trademark and since when do they really engage in it to a degree that makes them famous for it. I'd have to say they seem to be on the lower end of the fanservice stick when it comes to animation companies. That doesn't say it isn't probably going to probably make my day depending on what it is. Loli(ish?) fanservice Huzzah!
I'll bet a cookie against your call. If your prediction comes true, remind me to give it to you on this post. If it turns out false, you incur no penalties. A no-risk bet on your part, and a 100% bad bet with no returns on mine.

Care to take up the bet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Partially credited actually. Let's not forget Gonzo's involvement along with Sunrise and....er Master of Entertaiment (actually let's forget that one). Yes even FMP Fummofu and Second Raid still had Gonzo staff in writing and directing postions, although not chief director. The first true series that can be fully credited to Kyoto Animation is Air.
Credited for the most part to KyoAni. And really, for the majority that is all that matters.

Now, back to Lucky Star. Konata X Kagami is pure win for me; I swear I'm watching Lucky Star to see them taking every opportunity to have a go at each other, for the most part. Kinda like the real-life jabfests that happens every now and then on this very board. I'm sure I don't have to say who our two Kona-Kaga representatives are.

Tsukasa is a pretty good foil too, whenever she appears. On the other hand, I don't really think too much of Miyuki and her gags; too diabetically moe even for me. Yuck.

Anyway, I'm surprised; Lucky Star is actually getting better for me. Now it certainly seems that I was a little hasty when I said I was dropping this; I think I'll keep it for now, since it looks like it'll serve as a good midweek filler for me. Still, my homebase on the AS boards still remains the Sola forums, for now.

Oh, and I'll throw this an....8. A fair enough score, IMHO. More KonaKaga, please!

Last edited by monir; 2007-04-25 at 12:05. Reason: redundant comment removed
Old 2007-04-25, 11:22   Link #77
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagges01 View Post
Spoiler:
you can never say this...with a series like this anything can happen to shock your socks off

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-04-25, 11:37   Link #78
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I'll bet a cookie against your call. If your prediction comes true, remind me to give it to you on this post. If it turns out false, you incur no penalties other than making yourself look more foolish than you already are. A no-risk bet on your part, and a 100% bad bet with no returns on mine.
Well since I was only joking by responding to a guy's post about seeing Hare Hare Yukai as an ending I don't see how that's foolish. The only really foolish thing that has happened is that somebody took it seriously after like 3 days of everybody ignoring it as the joke it was.

The odd's of all or even 2 of those songs being used AND in that sequence are astronomically high. Note the fact that I said Gut tells me rather than anything like experience or an educated guess tells me. I'm referring specifically to a Stephen Colbert joke about not using your head to think things through and just going with the first thing that pops into your mind. So stop taking everything so seriously already.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-25 at 11:48.
Old 2007-04-25, 11:50   Link #79
Ffenix Rising
*Graphic Designer

Oooh, Internet drama! Can I watch? Please, please can I?!?

Oh quick post about episode 3. One of the better ending "theme" so far, since Kagami commented how Konata can "sound mature" at any time; it's certainly a little joke about Aya's talent as a voice actor. =D
Old 2007-04-25, 11:56   Link #80
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffenix Rising View Post
Oooh, Internet drama! Can I watch? Please, please can I?!?

Oh quick post about episode 3. One of the better ending "theme" so far, since Kagami commented how Konata can "sound mature" at any time; it's certainly a little joke about Aya's talent as a voice actor. =D
I would just ignore it. I'm in the process of taking care of things. I really want no more of this garbage anymore. It seems that everytime I try to square things though that something pops up in an attempt to ruin it. The thing that's different this time is that I really don't want to go back to arguing anymore at any cost. Like I've said my fight is long over and I'm just here to chill now.
Closed Thread