AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2010-12-29, 12:20   Link #761
zaeraal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
why does most great fanfic had to be always a love confession. That love confession destroys the greatness of a fanfic for me.
Because it's hard to make a story without any progress for characters. It requieres a really great autor to write a good plot without character progress and make it entertaining. A character progress can be atained by mental progress, emotional progress, or by adding new powers. By mental progress i am reffering to learning new thinghts, but this is hard to do in fanfics, if you dont want to break the original story. If you just add some random powers out of the blue to characters in a fanfic, it will look awkward. Meaning the best way to do this is to do emotional progress and of course the most easy one to achieve is love progress, which usually ends up in a confession. (Not everyone can do some character break down)

Of course i am not saying that without it, it's impossible, you can always make humorous, action or mystery stories, that does not requiere any character development. But again, its only a fanfic, written by fans, who want to see a certains situations happen.

If i understood correctly, your questions include only the existing characters, because drastic love development like that can't be fit in original story. A way to avoid this is to make original characters and make them fall in love and confess to each other, but making a original character, creating a good background for him, making the readers feel for him something more than "it's a side character i don't care about" and of course making him from 2D into 3D by adding a depth to his actions in the limited space a fanfic has, is something that not just anyone can do.
zaeraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 14:49   Link #762
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Spoiler for Dr.Accelerator Fanfic idea:

Inspired by Chaos2Frozen's Christmas fic. I'm not sure I could write that alone. I haven't watched the entirety of Index/Railgun or even one episode of any medical drama like Dr.House
Mr.Kyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 17:11   Link #763
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
How the heck they manage to beat those two?
Hey! Its a fic... logic isn't necessary on it.

EDIT:

BTW, I have wondering for a while but is there some fic who uses the negation of the 5 senses as attack? After Saint Seiya I never saw/read about that kind again.

Last edited by Miraluka; 2010-12-29 at 17:51.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 20:15   Link #764
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kyon View Post
Spoiler for Dr.Accelerator Fanfic idea:

Inspired by Chaos2Frozen's Christmas fic. I'm not sure I could write that alone. I haven't watched the entirety of Index/Railgun or even one episode of any medical drama like Dr.House
A minor problem - the Misaka Network does not work that way. Last Order can't make Accel say anything he doesn't want to, the most she can do is just turn off his access to the network. Blackmail with that method is frankly not possible.

And as for Accel as a doctor, in Vol19 Ch2 he used his ability to save a injured pregnant woman since most medications are not meant to be used in that situation. He used his vector manipulation ability to calculate the correct doses to make sure both mother and the baby will survive.
He has the ability/power, except that when he's useful as a tactical nuke nobody would let him just sit in a hospital. Not to mention in the first place GROUP blackmailed him into joining to do the dirty work, he won't be getting out of that easily.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 21:55   Link #765
Ashaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
A minor problem - the Misaka Network does not work that way. Last Order can't make Accel say anything he doesn't want to, the most she can do is just turn off his access to the network. Blackmail with that method is frankly not possible.

And as for Accel as a doctor, in Vol19 Ch2 he used his ability to save a injured pregnant woman since most medications are not meant to be used in that situation. He used his vector manipulation ability to calculate the correct doses to make sure both mother and the baby will survive.
He has the ability/power, except that when he's useful as a tactical nuke nobody would let him just sit in a hospital. Not to mention in the first place GROUP blackmailed him into joining to do the dirty work, he won't be getting out of that easily.
All excellent points; I fully agree with the first one. the Misaka network doesn't work like that.

The Group thing can be worked around though.

Maybe, at least for a little while, HC pulls some strings and convinces Aleister not to use him. Al wants him to evolve, and learning how the body works, its properties, basically new ways for him to use his powers, is at the very least a type of evolution. one that is interesting and potentiially useful.

Give it a time limit of say two months. In these months the story takes place. at the end, Alister expects his nuke back, with more undertanding of humans, how they work, and most importantly, how they can be improved.

Gotta remember, these aren't normal humans. These are Espers. Give Accel enough time and interest, and he may figure out ways to improve Espers. Yes, I know the List, or whatever we are calling it, but he might figure out a way to create Level 5's faster.

Frankly, to make this work, all you need to do is give/figure out a motive for Alister to allow this to happen, with the time limit.

Failing that, there is always the cheaper route. Aiwass thought it was interesting and bullied Crowley into allowing it.
Old 2010-12-29, 22:34   Link #766
Miraluka
Banned

I go interested on the part about "Accelerator improving esper development" but is that possible if Accelerator doesn't knows the materials used on the development, does he?
Old 2010-12-30, 01:41   Link #767
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:
Well the more you know. I haven't read the novels but I knew the network was vital to him being able to move and talk, so I made an assumption.

Quote:
True, but let's see it this way; you don't see people talking about the impossibility of AcceleratorxKahine in 4-komas or fanart. Same here. If every fanfic writer decided to stick to the original story as closely as possible, then I'd be boring.
The purpose of fanfics are to present scenarios/situations that otherwise would not be possible or that the original author didn't think of. Besides, you can use the good old "It's an alternate universe" to be able to rewrite the rules of the established universe as you see fit.

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Old 2010-12-30, 02:58   Link #768
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kyon View Post
True, but let's see it this way; you don't see people talking about the impossibility of AcceleratorxKahine in 4-komas or fanart. Same here. If every fanfic writer decided to stick to the original story as closely as possible, then I'd be boring.
The purpose of fanfics are to present scenarios/situations that otherwise would not be possible or that the original author didn't think of. Besides, you can use the good old "It's an alternate universe" to be able to rewrite the rules of the established universe as you see fit.

This is true and Flere is merely giving you advice, you're still the author and what you want to do with your story is your own call.

But in some of our opinions, the best fanfics are the ones that you can see it happening in the real story, which means getting it as close as you can to the original in terms of atmosphere and character portrayal.

(...Btw guys, is my Accelerator-Doctor pitch really such a good idea? I've never thought of it as anything big )

If you really want to do this, here's my advice- Accelerator strikes me as the kind of guy that doesn't like to take orders (obviously). So instead of forcing him to become part of the plan, let him go solo on it. Just like what I did in my story, Accelerator had no obligation to save that man, nobody was forcing him to do it, it's just something he himself wanted to do. So rather than making it his day job, it's more like a hobby.

Because he's tsundere that way.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 10:53   Link #769
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
(...Btw guys, is my Accelerator-Doctor pitch really such a good idea? I've never thought of it as anything big )

If you really want to do this, here's my advice- Accelerator strikes me as the kind of guy that doesn't like to take orders (obviously). So instead of forcing him to become part of the plan, let him go solo on it. Just like what I did in my story, Accelerator had no obligation to save that man, nobody was forcing him to do it, it's just something he himself wanted to do. So rather than making it his day job, it's more like a hobby.

Because he's tsundere that way.
He always seems to be like that, isn't he?

BTW, I would be interestingto see how you can make Accelerator's attitude in situations with patients in despair and patients who doesn't wants to be "saved".
Old 2010-12-30, 11:38   Link #770
Ashaman

He'd probably blow them off.

Of course, he'd do so insultingly, in just such a way that they'd change their minds and want to live.
Old 2010-12-30, 11:42   Link #771
Miraluka
Banned

... Why Dr. House has come to my mind so suddenly?
Old 2010-12-30, 11:56   Link #772
Ashaman

I can imagine Accel being a lot like House actually, though with less "I'll only take interesting cases!"

I'm not going to lie. As soon as I read it in C2F's story, I fell in love with the idea, and would totally write it... But I've promised myself I would focus on my other stories right now. Its been almost two months since I updated KoC and 6 weeks since Judgement. I don't need more on my plate.
Old 2010-12-30, 21:03   Link #773
Flere821
Lurker

*shrug* maybe I should really go translate the Vol19 Ch2 where Accel saved a pregnant woman... Basically Accelerator saw her got dragged into GROUP's fight against Spark Signal, and decided against chasing after Spark Signal immediately and saved her. Then he got pissed people not in the Dark Side got dragged in, and then literally flew off to try and hunt Spark Signal down.

IMO Accelerator probably won't save others like a doctor unless it's one of those spur of the moment thing. But if given the opportunity, he might end up eventually like saving lives instead of taking them, what with curing Last Order's virus and everything.
Old 2010-12-30, 23:25   Link #774
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6461411/...th_About_Index

Looks like someone took my idea of Kama Sutra being a forbidden grimoire, which was discussed in Index's character discussion thread.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 00:43   Link #775
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6461411/...th_About_Index

Looks like someone took my idea of Kama Sutra being a forbidden grimoire, which was discussed in Index's character discussion thread.
Fukouuuuuuu daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I love it

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Old 2010-12-31, 09:41   Link #776
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

I have a suggestion for another possible touhou/index crossover. Maybe we can incorporate Maribel, using the Mari = Yukari fan theory. We can also have her be an esper or at least a scientist with espers. This would cause an interesting contrast for absolute science and absolute fantasy of Gensokyo. And since her profile says that she's a university student, there's Touma's onee-san. xD

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 20:51   Link #777
Flere821
Lurker

I've finished my fic, Collapse of Eastern Fantasy. Final chapter here:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6070670/...astern_Fantasy
Old 2011-01-03, 22:14   Link #778
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
I've finished my fic, Collapse of Eastern Fantasy. Final chapter here:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6070670/...astern_Fantasy
The omake... Fukou da indeed for Touma.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 23:04   Link #779
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
The omake... Fukou da indeed for Touma.
I am inclined to agree. Although the omake is a good start for another story if Flere ever wanted to take it up.

As for Yukari, for her becoming yandere...I have no idea if she is falling for Touma albeit holding a sly attitude in doing so, or just completely messing up Touma's head (again). Most likely the latter. Although, like Flere said, that is a story for another time.

Although, I would still think it would be an interesting twist if you replaced Yukari in the end with Maribel and have Touma recognise the similarity to Yukari as another plot.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 23:46   Link #780
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

But wasn't Maribel stated to be a college student?

It was a great story. Looking forward to what you'll write next, if you decide to at all.

Tags
character, crack, crossover ideas, discussion, fanfiction