AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 25
10 out of 10 : Near Perfect... 93 44.93%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 43 20.77%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 14.01%
7 out of 10 : Good... 19 9.18%
6 out of 10 : Average... 9 4.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 6 2.90%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 1 0.48%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 1 0.48%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 2 0.97%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 4 1.93%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-12-29, 08:13   Link #221
rocket
Senior and Demented

Wow, surprisingly satisfying ending.

Everything I disliked about the cheesy villain and Kirito's plot enforced success was flipped 180 for me as when I realized the whole point of this arc was to present Kirito with a ethical choice with consequences in RL. I still think ALO was generally quite weak compared to SAO, but this ep at least made me respect what the story was trying to do. Even though I just couldn't get into ALO and found most of the 'drama' cringe worthy, Kirito's temptation and mercy scene came off very powerfully.

Nice end. I'll doubtless be back for more when the series returns!
Old 2012-12-29, 10:17   Link #222
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
From my perspective, that scene was actually the only scene that mattered in the entire ALO arc, although to a certain extent the rest were necessary to set it up.
After the absolutely laughable first confrontation, they might as well not have bothered though. This would've worked after the fight against Kayaba or someone like him, but that joker Sugou?
In the light of that abomination of a fight, the RL confrontation just seemed to drag out an already dumb final confrontation... had last episode at least been done well, the RL confrontation would've had much more of the desired effect.

So yeah, I get what you're saying but surely ALO can't be considered anything but a complete failure of a story arc... I'm not even sure whether they want me to root for Asuna or Sugu anymore. Or why we are in a position of having to root for either at all.
BUT, I agree that presenting Kirito with a RL situation like this was important. I just wish it had been done in a better way. No one needs an entire arc full of awful to make that point.

Quote:
I gotta be honest: I thought .hack was a terrible show of its kind. I have to wonder if the writers had ever even looked at an MMO. It certainly succeeds in telling its own story, but as a story about gamers or games it fails on all levels.
.hack was released about a decade ago, at a time when MMOs were comparatively new. Both are about potential future VRMMOs but SAO was made today. Making a prediction as to what these would be like is much different and easier based on today's technologically improved MMOs than it was a decade ago, so I don't fault the former for that. Anyways, does that really matter? Since when was anime about realism?
As such, I was talking about the story told (which is what matters, imo), not game mechanics. Where .hack was pleasantly plot-driven, SAO decided to go down some strange harem/romance route, which I didn't expect or enjoy. SAO had potential...but wasted it carelessly on fanservice and girly romance.

You could say that I went into this show with the wrong expectations though.
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 10:44   Link #223
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
.hack was released about a decade ago, at a time when MMOs were comparatively new. Both are about potential future VRMMOs but SAO was made today. Making a prediction as to what these would be like is much different and easier based on today's technologically improved MMOs than it was a decade ago, so I don't fault the former for that. Anyways, does that really matter? Since when was anime about realism?
As such, I was talking about the story told (which is what matters, imo), not game mechanics. Where .hack was pleasantly plot-driven, SAO decided to go down some strange harem/romance route, which I didn't expect or enjoy. SAO had potential...but wasted it carelessly on fanservice and girly romance.

You could say that I went into this show with the wrong expectations though.
If we're talking realism then I could hardly be expected to defend SAO, could I? I mean, we are talking harems and fanservice. But just going back the basic notion of being stuck in a game, I felt like SAO was written from a gamer's perspective on the matter while .hack treated it more like... I'm not entirely sure, but the fact that you could take the game part out entirely and still have most of the story make sense sends me a warning flag.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 14:13   Link #224
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

As a note, the first SAO web novel was written back in 2002, about the same time .hack was coming out.

Much of the game design in SAO for that matters harkens back to the early 2000s MMO design, the "pre-WoW" days. With clear influence from games like FFXI and RO.
Oroboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 16:04   Link #225
Alucard24

well, the subject of the different .hack parts never was the MMORPG in the first place : it was only the background. They talked about the world in general ( I mean the real world, not the game) and about the dependency of our society to the networks.
Alucard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 12:11   Link #226
alexsaingxd

I watched this like the day it came out. It was the best! The part where Kirito and Asuna met up in the hospital was like the best part. Great atmosphere and the place was very calm. True love.

The part where they both met at school was also my favorite part. Now they can spend time together in both the real world and the virtual world.

[mod edit: removed reference to troll blog]

But thanks to this website I can finally feel open minded and discuss the great stuff about SAO. Been stuck on the downside for 25 weeks [25 episodes].

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-12-31 at 18:12.
alexsaingxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 16:17   Link #227
Jin-MoRi

Anyone know if we will be getting another season? The next volume was great in the novel!
Jin-MoRi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 18:09   Link #228
alexsaingxd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin-MoRi View Post
Anyone know if we will be getting another season? The next volume was great in the novel!
you're gonna probably have to wait. there should be a next season cause DVD/BLU RAY sales are high. be sure to check up on the official website of SAO or any anime news site

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-12-31 at 18:12. Reason: removed unnecessary troll blog reference
Old 2012-12-31, 19:23   Link #229
Lightning_Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsaingxd View Post
you're gonna probably have to wait. there should be a next season cause DVD/BLU RAY sales are high. be sure to check up on the official website of SAO or any anime news site
Will it be a summer/winter 2014 airing or later?
Old 2012-12-31, 22:04   Link #230
alexsaingxd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning_Wing View Post
Will it be a summer/winter 2014 airing or later?
Idk. Probably around 2013. But like I said before, be sure to keep up with the official SAO site or any other anime news site. Since the light novel is still going on they should be able to make another season. Plus everyone loves SAO, it was also very popular.
Old 2012-12-31, 23:49   Link #231
Jin-MoRi

yeah the dvd and bd sales are doing quite well.
Jin-MoRi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 01:10   Link #232
alexsaingxd

Not to mention SAO was definitely the most popular anime of 2012.
Old 2013-01-01, 19:51   Link #233
Nvis
Where are the good animes

That's if Gundam AGE is not considered 2012....
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 20:21   Link #234
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
That's if Gundam AGE is not considered 2012....
On what basis are you making that comparison? In terms of both ratings and sales, Gundam AGE was not generally seen as particularly successful. Not that saying SAO is the most popular of the year is particularly objective either, but I'm a bit unsure why you'd use that example as the one that trumps it. Perhaps I might have compared with Fate/Zero?

In either case, it really isn't too important to this thread.
Old 2013-01-05, 16:54   Link #235
Trudinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsaingxd View Post
Not to mention SAO was definitely the most popular anime of 2012.
i guess u can say that, if u don't count like Naruto, bleach, one peace, and like Fairy Tail, then ya it probably the most popular anime of 2012.
Trudinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 18:54   Link #236
kitten320

Uuummm, don't that have any guard or doctors at the hospital? 0_o

Otherwise it was a solid ending with most loos ends tied up.
Old 2013-01-05, 19:10   Link #237
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post

Spoilers
Spoiler for Comparision to the novels
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 23:15   Link #238
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post

Spoiler for Light Novel Comparison:
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 23:58   Link #239
alexsaingxd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudinh View Post
i guess u can say that, if u don't count like Naruto, bleach, one peace, and like Fairy Tail, then ya it probably the most popular anime of 2012.
Well yeah regardless to naruto, bleach [series ended but manga still going on], one piece, they're already popular...well been popular for so long.

But I just want to say that I'm just mentioning for the brand new ones. But yea, SAO was very popular of 2012.
Old 2013-01-15, 04:41   Link #240
Kyuu
=^^=

Well, all I gotta say: I'll be damned, and happily ever after...

Now, I can imagine someone using that interface -- to create...
Spoiler:
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote