AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-05-12, 12:53   Link #21
Shift_

I still use DVDs for all series, because most series are atleast 13 eps...

a DVD costs me the cost of maybe 1.5 CDs and these are all TY, Ritek stuff.

So 13 eps usually takes abour 4 CDs with each ep being 175MB, so it's cheaper to fill just like half a DVD
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 14:16   Link #22
Green²
It's bacon!

Keeping cost in mind, it seem more like a gamble either way you go. If you go with the DVD or CD burner, you will be able to test the hard drive format option. But should that test indicate that the hard drive is at fault, then there may be no choice but to get that new hard drive.

Yet if you get only the hard drive at this time, not only do you have the option of a quick backup, but you do have that as a replacement. Thus I would choose the hard drive. Optical devices would later be recommended when hard drive data removal becomes required.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 15:45   Link #23
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_
I still use DVDs for all series, because most series are atleast 13 eps...

a DVD costs me the cost of maybe 1.5 CDs and these are all TY, Ritek stuff.

So 13 eps usually takes abour 4 CDs with each ep being 175MB, so it's cheaper to fill just like half a DVD
what kind of CDs do you buy? i can get cds for .20$ american each!

DVDs are 1$ american each!

Quote:
Whoa Heh u have downloading habits just like me. I too have a half a tera on HD space and I'm always running out of space so quickly. So thats the reason I bought a DVD burner awhile back to free up HD space so I can keep on downloading. .
i wonder how much of that is legal

yeah. so i guess the verdict here is buy both.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 16:47   Link #24
Shift_

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
what kind of CDs do you buy? i can get cds for .20$ american each!

DVDs are 1$ american each!

i wonder how much of that is legal

yeah. so i guess the verdict here is buy both.
I'm in Canada, we got levys on our Blank media, but that way no form of a Canadian RIAA can fuck with us

The only CDR I will buy are Taiyo Yuden CDs for my Data, which range from 50-60 cents a CD, for Music I'll use any junk CD because I only usually keep Music CDs for a week or 2.

For DVDs I only use 8X Ritek branded DVD +Rs which are around $1 Canadian a DVD.

None of my stuff is going on cheap media, I've seen what happens to cheap media after a year or so, even after a few months, the discs become unreadable, or the organic layer starts breaking down.
Old 2004-05-13, 13:16   Link #25
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
I'm in Canada, we got levys on our Blank media, but that way no form of a Canadian RIAA can fuck with us

The only CDR I will buy are Taiyo Yuden CDs for my Data, which range from 50-60 cents a CD, for Music I'll use any junk CD because I only usually keep Music CDs for a week or 2.

For DVDs I only use 8X Ritek branded DVD +Rs which are around $1 Canadian a DVD.

None of my stuff is going on cheap media, I've seen what happens to cheap media after a year or so, even after a few months, the discs become unreadable, or the organic layer starts breaking down.
get memorex with MIRebates- good and cheap.

i knew CDs and DVDs deteriorated... ... but ORGANIC? layer? what?
Old 2004-05-13, 13:22   Link #26
Shift_

Quote:
get memorex with MIRebates- good and cheap.

i knew CDs and DVDs deteriorated... ... but ORGANIC? layer? what?
Memorex CDs are probally the most random CD ever.

Depending on the batch the discs can be made by Tayo Yuden to CMC.

Lately all the discs have been made by CMC...and the quality of CMC discs are less than impressive.

It's better just to buy Tayo Yuden from the source.

The only REAL company that sells Tayo Yuden CDs are The Fuji Film Made in Japan (look by UPC) same price as memorex, you can find the Fuji Film Made in Taiwan (Which are Prodiscs) for cheaper...and they still > Memorex.

I guess I can't call it an organic layer...it's hard to explain.

But Just letting you know I have Tayo Yuden CDs from 5 years ago, which are still as good as new, then some memorex CMC crap which are only maybe a year old and they're starting to crap out.
Old 2004-05-13, 14:03   Link #27
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
But Just letting you know I have Tayo Yuden CDs from 5 years ago, which are still as good as new, then some memorex CMC crap which are only maybe a year old and they're starting to crap out.
O_o i thought memorex was a good reputable brand.. ...

what about imation?

are most mainstream CD makers a combination of CDs from many different manufacturers?

Quote:
Lately all the discs have been made by CMC...and the quality of CMC discs are less than impressive.
how do you tell them apart?
Old 2004-05-13, 14:50   Link #28
Secca
nya`
*Artist

What's your motive to buy DVD burner or DVD. Is it archiving or just holding space for anime you want to download?

If you want to archieve a series, I say go with the burner. It's neat and save space to have an entire series on 1 DVD.

But if you just want to download stuffs and watch it later, go with Hard Drive, they can hold alot of series and you can reuse them after you done watching. If you really really run out of space even in 120 gig Hard Drive, just get two 120 gig Hard Drives and just switch them around when one is full. It's much cheaper in the long run, and they won't become obsolete even if a 300 gig hard drive come out in the future, those 120 gig hard drives are still pretty handy to have. ^^

Also I believe DVD burner is still evolving, newer and newer version coming out in the future.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-13, 15:37   Link #29
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
Also I believe DVD burner is still evolving, newer and newer version coming out in the future.
and blue ray discs!!!
Old 2004-05-13, 15:38   Link #30
Shift_

Quote:
O_o i thought memorex was a good reputable brand.. ...

what about imation?

are most mainstream CD makers a combination of CDs from many different manufacturers?

how do you tell them apart?
All mainstream brands are outsourced, sony, imtation, fuji, memorex, TDK etc...

How do you tell them apart? All the CDs made by one company look identical, so you take one of those CDs get a program like CDRid and it'll tell you the type of dye used, and the manufacture of the disc.

The best CDR/DVDR known names (and they also sell their OWN line of CDrs at wholesellers) are Tayo Yuden, Prodisc, and Ritek. They all have their own line of branded CDRs (under their name) but they obviously outsource to other companies.

right now however I'll only use TY CDs because I can get them cheap, and I'll only use TY or Ritek DVDs.

I tend to keep stuff for a long time, so quality of the disc is important to me. In fact I didn't know any diffrence until a few years ago, when I started to notice some discs were screwd up while some others were really good, and I researched into it
Old 2004-05-13, 15:42   Link #31
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:

How do you tell them apart? All the CDs made by one company look identical, so you take one of those CDs get a program like CDRid and it'll tell you the type of dye used, and the manufacture of the disc.

The best CDR/DVDR known names (and they also sell their OWN line of CDrs at wholesellers) are Tayo Yuden, Prodisc, and Ritek. They all have their own line of branded CDRs (under their name) but they obviously outsource to other companies.

right now however I'll only use TY CDs because I can get them cheap, and I'll only use TY or Ritek DVDs.

I tend to keep stuff for a long time, so quality of the disc is important to me. In fact I didn't know any diffrence until a few years ago, when I started to notice some discs were screwd up while some others were really good, and I researched into it
thanks i never considered that Memorex would buy from more than one company...

can i get a TY mailing address/place i can find their products offline/online?
Old 2004-05-14, 07:16   Link #32
krel
^_^

Send a message via MSN to krel
get a HD if you're lazy like me. it's so much easier to backup stuff as you don't have to go through bundles of discs and the burning process.

edit...actually i'm thinking of getting a 120/160 GB HD (SATA) as well...can anyone recommend a good manufacturer? (Hitachi/Western Digital etc...)

Last edited by krel; 2004-05-14 at 12:03.
krel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-14, 08:07   Link #33
Morannon

I wouldn't buy a new DVD-RW today because a new generation of DVD recorders are on it's way. These new ones are fitted with double-layer technology, which means that you can burn 8,5 GB on each disc.

http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=1367
Morannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-14, 11:01   Link #34
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krel
get a HD if you're lazy like me. it's so much easier to backup stuff as you don't have to go through bundles of discs and the burning process.
constant search for more HDs.

well, on the other hand, you could get that 1.25 Petabyte ram drive that was on auction... ... ...
Old 2004-05-14, 14:43   Link #35
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:

edit...actually i'm thinking of getting a 120/160 GB HD (SATA) as well...can anyone recommend a good manufacturer? (Hitachi/Western Digital etc...)
What if you dl crazy like me. You'll quickly keep running out of space.

I recommend Seagate, then Western Digital, then Maxtor.
A very good sata drive, I have 3 of these. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...148-018&depa=1
Old 2004-05-14, 15:35   Link #36
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro

A very good sata drive, I have 3 of these. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...148-018&depa=1
Damn so many anime keep coming out and not enough time to watch. ^^

I'm thinking buying a new HD too, I'm almost run out space on both my HDs, Maybe I'll get that one you mentioned, It looks good. ^^

Gona switch it around until it's full again.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 21:56   Link #37
guess

Quote:

How about DVD? Can CDRid check on DVD, too? I intend to keep my DVD for a long time. Also, I notice that some DVD is printed "made in taiwan" on the case but says "made in japan" on the disc itself. Why is that??

Btw, how did you get 5mb connection? care to share the serect? I am on router and cannot forward the port so that my coonection is constantly around 20-30 kb/s average. I get 0-5kb/s frequently too.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 06:13   Link #38
krel
^_^

Send a message via MSN to krel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro

aye thanks. well if you do download that much you could try getting a 1.25 petabyte HD like the one Hobobaggins mentioned... (omg three 160GB HD's O_o)
krel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 10:59   Link #39
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
aye thanks. well if you do download that much you could try getting a 1.25 petabyte HD like the one Hobobaggins mentioned... (omg three 160GB HD's O_o)
Its a ram drive, not a hard drive. turn off the juice and your data goes gone.

Quote:
any reason why in that order? does segate sound better? does it have a better Tech support system? better warranty?

personally i think maxtor is pretty kickass.

they just came out with a 10k rpm 300 gig drive.

and a 400 gig drive.
Old 2004-05-17, 17:04   Link #40
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

I'd recommend getting a Dvd burner where you have space without limits. If you're a mass downloader like some others in this thread, you'll quickly run out of space with a HD.
If you still want to get a HD, I'd recommend getting a Seagate, they clearly have the best quality

I'm using exclusively Fuji Film CDs which are fine - never failed me! There's no "Made in ..." on the cake box, only the address of the German subsidiary.
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote