AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-06-21, 03:44   Link #661
Wattstax

Was Ai really admitted to heaven in the Futakumori finale? If innocent people have to spend an eternity in hell without a chance of redemption, why shouldn't Ai? Not that I wouldn't like her to be in heaven, I just can't understand the system.
If there will be a 4th season, I would like it, if they explore this some more. For example, is there even a heaven, when hell is in everyone, as Ai pointed out. I would also like to see more description of the Sanwara, how they see there job. They're to often only bystanders.
Wattstax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-22, 22:40   Link #662
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattstax View Post
Was Ai really admitted to heaven in the Futakumori finale?
No, if you remember, she was sent to hell after saving that kids life.

I'm pretty sure the series will end with Ai ending up in heaven. Personally, I think the series have been blatantly leading to that.
Old 2009-07-13, 03:27   Link #663
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

What the hell what the hell what the hell?? So that chick was dead all along? and what a screwed up past! ... yikes! I am shocked.. I'll have to go to bed to think more about what I just saw ..

Maybe I don't even want to think about it. ... dam u Emma Ai! .. making me feel frustrated....
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 08:43   Link #664
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
No, if you remember, she was sent to hell after saving that kids life.

I'm pretty sure the series will end with Ai ending up in heaven. Personally, I think the series have been blatantly leading to that.
I though that the best ending would be for her to be reincarnated as Tsugumi's daughter with Tsugumi knowing who she is and naming her Ai. And having a reincarnated Sentarou as a playmate. And having her former servants watching over her to insure that tragedy doesn't strike her again.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 09:04   Link #665
ViewtifulAlchemist

Just finished the third season, I don't know what it is about the Jigoku Shoujo series but I can't get enough of it (I think it's Enma Ai's charm when onscreen, lol). They seem to have a pretty decent formula i.e. First 10 or so episodes are pretty hohum, then in the middle you get a hint of some overall plot then they just seem to explode with story content in the last 2 episodes.

Spoiler:

I didn't think they could make a Season 3 after what happen in Season 2 but whatever bring on more Jigoku Shoujo (Season 4 please)!

Edit: Fixed misspelling of Yuzuki's name as "Yuki".

Last edited by ViewtifulAlchemist; 2009-08-14 at 11:55.
ViewtifulAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 15:26   Link #666
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

I have to say, Season 3 was the most depressing or should I say tragic in Jigoku Shoujo, almost all episodes end in a tragedy or the main character of that episodes suffers in the end no matter what he/she did, at least most of them were *happy endings* in the 1st and 2nd...but 3rd....it was awesome anyway

P.S. Kikuri is really cute ^^

Last edited by Zwei; 2009-08-09 at 15:48.
Zwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 18:11   Link #667
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

@ ViewtifulAlchemist:
I think with the electronic shop one it was just a case of the boy having a hopeless crush — he was stupid to think a grown woman would get into a relationship with him just because she had flirted a bit with him; it wasn't really surprising that she would simply leave and start a new life if she managed to get rid of her husband. From one POV you can say the boy did a good deed, but from a personal perspective he just destroyed his own soul because he mistook his fantasy world for reality.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 11:54   Link #668
ViewtifulAlchemist

Yeah, I figured electronics shop lady just wanted to start a new life but she left so abruptly without giving any real thanks to the boy from saving her. From her attitude after the indicent and before her leave it seem like she was mad at the boy for sending her husband to hell.

I mean I can see why a little, as abusive as he was he was still her husband. So in the end I guess she just wanted to get away everything altogether as she probably felt the boy was getting too comfortable around her and was looking for more out of her than she wanted like you said.
ViewtifulAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 22:48   Link #669
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
I thought the ending was very touching and beautiful, as were the endings of the 1st two seasons.

At the end of the first season, Ai controlled her rage enough to not kill the descendants of her tormentors. At the end of Futakomori, she was able to accept her fate without rage. And at the end of Mitsuganae, she reached new heights in sacrificing herself to redeem her own actions in setting up another innocent soul for eternal torment.

The thing about the whole extended series that struck me immediately was the foolishness of the contract whereby you had to endure an eternity of suffering in order to take out your enemy. Bad deal!

And I was amazed that throughout 72 episodes, that idea only occurred once to one guy, Hajime. The Japanese capacity for the glorification and love of self-destruction will never cease to surprise me.

Having just finished this series, I am looking back on the "real-time" comments. I see disappointingly few participants who stuck it out to the end and a lot of Jigoku Shoujo fatigue by those who did.

I see a lot of disappointment that too often punishment was meted out to the good or innocent rather than to the deserving.

From the very beginning, Ai tried to educate the dogooders that hell is not about justice or punishment. "Hell is inside you". Human hatred is what creates hell; it doesn't exist otherwise. And it will exist as long as humans do, as that is their way.

The concept of Futakomori, the twin isolations, the hater and the hated, the two prisoners in self-imposed confinement on opposite sides of the mirror, expressed this with surpassing elegance. (All three opening poems were very beautiful.)

But the only one who ever got it was Tsugumi, and it depressed the hell out of her, and even she could never accept it totally.

The complete indifference of the universe, personified in Ai's never-changing expression, has always been and will always be incomprehensible to the humans who insist on imposing their self-centred, hypocritical, monkey morality on everything around them, even inanimate objects.

This was quite a profound series, with many interesting vignettes, some very moving moments, and some wonderful art.

The next time you pass a judgement, remember poor tragic Ai and the terrible price she (and through her, we) will pay until the end of our time.
Old 2009-10-31, 17:14   Link #670
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Interesting analysis of Ai's actions.

However I would disagree that only one person noted the craziness of the contract. Mikage continually railed against it through the series, and I felt it also gave many of the contractees pause for thought, in fact at least one complained how unfair it was (I can't remember which ep. now and no longer have them on disk to check).

As to Jigoku Shoujo fatigue amonst watchers, for me at least this was due to the formulaic nature of most of the episodes ("Hell sending of the week") in which everything was predicatabe and nothing advanced the plot. It was only in the last few episodes that we saw some plot development.

One of the most interesting episode for me was the one with the professor who expounded an overall theory of Hell as a necessary invention of humans to make the injustices in theiir lives bearable, which I felt Ai was in agreement with. (That episode, with all the suffering children watching, also seemed to be a homage to Lain, in which there is an episode about a professor who experimented on children to pool their psychic energy (which in turn seems to be a reference to Akira).)

Old 2010-01-09, 01:38   Link #671
OkamiNoKaze

Good to see there were people watching this show around the same time as me. Just finished up this series. I think it would have been cool to see a whole season with a renegade Hell Girl doing things, but this works. I have to says this season was pretty good, though they skipped the cool part of the hell sending alot, this time around, and sometimes I was glad for it as alot of people that didn't deserve it were sent to hell.
Old 2010-09-26, 17:04   Link #672
attobyte

Finally watched the whole JS-Mitsuganae.
Honeslty, I'm not very pleased. I mean, this season is as good as previous 2 but based on the end...

Spoiler for End of Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae:

It seems that a 4th season will not show up anytime soon, either.
Well, if a 4th one comes good if not I'm satisfied.

Last edited by attobyte; 2010-09-26 at 17:55.
attobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-30, 21:18   Link #673
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
Good to see there were people watching this show around the same time as me. Just finished up this series. I think it would have been cool to see a whole season with a renegade Hell Girl doing things, but this works. I have to says this season was pretty good, though they skipped the cool part of the hell sending alot, this time around, and sometimes I was glad for it as alot of people that didn't deserve it were sent to hell.
A renegade Hell Girl could never work because the spider wouldn't allow it. Think about it, Hell Girl is like a low-level manager and spider is the big VP. Hell Girl has no choice but to follow the rules or get canned.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 16:30   Link #674
TheEagle

I don't understand why they did what they did with the third series. They should've done a prequel or something more about the characters' pasts. To be honest, other than Ai I never particularly felt connected with their emotions.
TheEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 23:18   Link #675
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEagle View Post
I don't understand why they did what they did with the third series. They should've done a prequel or something more about the characters' pasts. To be honest, other than Ai I never particularly felt connected with their emotions.
I disagree, I felt the "Three Vessels" was the most emotional of the 3 series. You could see Ai's torment as completely innocent people were being sent to hell. One of my favorite scenes:

Spoiler:

Last edited by ArrowSmith; 2011-06-15 at 23:58.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 05:28   Link #676
treetaxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEagle View Post
Just my two cents, I think she pulled a bodhisatva number in the third season.
treetaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 19:07   Link #677
Shikabane_Hime
108 Shikabane to destroy

This is one of my favorite series. Not only is my Avatar a combination of the Hell Crest and the original Title image, but my cellphone and computer are both themed after this anime. My ring tones are all from the show. In any case, the reason I like this show is because it looks so deeply into the dark side of human nature. Currently I'm two episodes away from the end of the series and I can't wait to see what happens. I hope that they do create a fourth season, though I'm not sure where they would take the series after the end of this season.
Old 2011-08-06, 20:30   Link #678
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikabane_Hime View Post
This is one of my favorite series. Not only is my Avatar a combination of the Hell Crest and the original Title image, but my cellphone and computer are both themed after this anime.
I hope you have one of these for your phone then:

(Don't pull the string though!)

Old 2011-08-14, 06:42   Link #679
3shiro
konitchiha

Send a message via MSN to 3shiro
I hope There is a new season for this anime its rally gooooooood.
3shiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supernatural