AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-12-03, 02:58   Link #301
David Johnston

Well the things I was talking about were things like a distinct lack of polite speech from the characters. Although they were speaking Japanese, they were using American manners. Grace IS blatantly weird, but it's a weird that's different from the weirdness I've seen in high school anime before, so I just wrote it off. I've no idea how snooty girl's schools organise themselves after all.
David Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-03, 19:49   Link #302
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

You can call episode eight the calm right after the storm. In comparison to two episodes ago where the girls were at the edge of a mass neurosis breakdown, they have dramatically warmed-up to each other.

This is thanks to the fortunate chance that all have been granted to go back, but that's it if Rula remains true to her word.

I do think, however, that their friendship still is at a delicate and frail stage, since a relative short amount of time passed when Rula showed them all their truth.

But I can say that the foundations of their team are developing, and although some of the girls needs less sensitivity to get used to the gist of killing the beast men, now the viewer can witness how better coordinated and dependent on each other have become.

This was mostly a peaceful episode for the girls to bond with each other, to know more among themselves, and to reflect that even if they return normal they would never forget this wonderful experience of having gained friends that support each other, spend time, and have fun together.

However, this peace is short-lived because next episode once again the conflict resumes.

Thanks Impz for your synopsis, as it helped me a lot. =)
Guido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-03, 20:59   Link #303
nimblevagrant

OP flowers

Anyone with flower knowledge know what flower besides the pansy is featured in the Opening??

The pansy is shown in a natural color scheme purple, brown, and yellow. But the other is either tones of green and yellow, orange, or red.

example here:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...ant/flower.jpg

If anyone knows that'd be awesome!

If not, no prob, and back to your regularly scheduled discussion.
nimblevagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-03, 23:03   Link #304
David Johnston

One reason why they might set in New York is the theory that nobody would notice all that screaming.
David Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-06, 15:47   Link #305
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
You can call episode eight the calm right after the storm.
Yes, this seems like the most obvious conclusion after watching episode eight. This new-found happiness for them main characters simply cannot last long.
I loved how the new-found hope of getting back to their own life really makes all the difference for the four girls. All the more reason for this being a lie, I guess. Anyway, the interraction between the four leads remains riveting as ever, so no complaints from me even though I do prefer "darker" episodes. I really want to see whether this budding friendship can withstand the rough times ahead. If nothing else, Claire will probably be a lot more willing to think of the others now, after their visit.
I hope somebody slaps Jessica and her sidekicks soon, I wonder how Paula and Kate can stand spending much time with them.
This time the beast man was disposed of in a record breaking time, although I have my reservations about the usefulness of a telephone as a weapon. Why don't they use knives or at least something heavier than a telephone? The other four girls had trouble killing that beast man in episode three even with a gun - does that mean that the main characters do have some superpowers after all?

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-06, 16:21   Link #306
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Episode 10.

Well, Lula has finally broken. Let us hope for more character from now on.

Rose's trippy cellphone ringtone = WIN. Kate trying to do push-ups was hilarious. Poor Ewan...

Oh, and episode 10 has finally confirmed what I've been suspecting all along since that episode where Rachel kill one of the beast men at the quay. The red stone/flower both attracts the potential beast men and triggers their transformation. It was kinds openly hinted at before, but episode 10 set the fact that Lula is doing it on purpose in stone.

Quote:
The other four girls had trouble killing that beast man in episode three even with a gun - does that mean that the main characters do have some superpowers after all?
Lula has specifically said in episode 2 that they should kill it "with their hands". Which, apparently means, that firearms are a no-no.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-06, 20:43   Link #307
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 8.

The character interactions are so realistic... and then the break out into song. Personally I'm only left with one option: ignore the singing, since it otherwise detracts from realistic characters reacting in realistic ways to their predicament. I suppose it is only a minor thing in what is, otherwise, a really good story. I actually think this is probably GONZO's best series since Speed Grapher, and there's no reason why this can't be even better than that, provided things don't go really downhill before the end.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-06, 21:24   Link #308
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

Ep 9.

I think of something while watching Lula explained stuff to Kate.
Spoiler for ep9:
DoReMiFaSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 08:11   Link #309
wao
OK.

Yeah, that was what I was wondering after finally catching up with episode 9 and 10.
Spoiler:

All in all though, episode 10 was definitely great.

Spoiler for Just to be safe:

And I'm sure some people must have noticed that so far all the storyboards have been done by only two people - eps 5, 8 and 9 by some other guy and the rest were all done by the director himself. I've never seen so many episodes done by the director in that way - conversely one usually expects them to do only, say, episodes 1, 13 and 26 (maybe two more if you're lucky).

I get the feeling that he's very attached to this project and wanted to make it succeed as much as possible so he thought - if you wanna get it done best, do it yourself... You've got to respect the amount of effort he must've put into this during the preproduction and probably even until now.

Last edited by wao; 2006-12-07 at 09:04.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 08:34   Link #310
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-12-07, 09:12   Link #311
wao
OK.

Thanks for the clarifications.

The very specific actions taken by Lula and co. that you described somehow make me think of the word 'ritual' for some reason.

Spoiler:

Speaking of Herve, I must don my Fangirl Cap once again and readily admit that in this episode... Herve looked unusually hawt/adorable. Awwww...
(Those are pics from episode 10 so don't click if you don't want to.)

Yeah, I know I am totally missing the point of the show but what the heck. In fact I even made two variations of a (obviously non-spoilery) avatar out of one of them since I bothered to take a screenshot... and I'm hardly an avatar maker, usually...

I'll be totally shocked if anyone ends up using them though!
Old 2006-12-07, 10:28   Link #312
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

As a counter to Herve, I present to you

Spoiler:

8)))
Old 2006-12-07, 11:20   Link #313
wao
OK.

How bad of you, you made Ewan sad.

Spoiler:

See? Gee, now I'm sad all over again too!

But I guess it's not on the level of "Repent, you sinner, for you have crossed into the realm of unforgivable deeds!"... Nah, that would be if you made Lula cry or something I think.
Old 2006-12-07, 11:35   Link #314
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

Thanks for the clarification people.

I haven't watched ep 10 yet, but those pics look nice.
Lula looks scary when she's mad. Ewan is adorable, and Herve looks cool.
And I always admire the clothes the characters wear. They are always different and unique.
DoReMiFaSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 12:00   Link #315
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

just for anyone who needed screenshots + summary for episode 9....

Here you go ^_^
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 15:33   Link #316
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

I'm dropping the show.

Episode 8 failed. Boring beyond belief. Every 'light' scene on this anime seems so unrealistic, probably because some of the interactions between the girls are just bad-written:

Kate: The sky is blue.
Rose: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Kate: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I was kinda interested about the mystery of the show, but now I'm not motivated enough to continue watching. And the singing is awful.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 16:01   Link #317
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

By the way, it would be interesting to note that the tickets which Ewan wanted to give to Claire were for Wicked, a Broadway musical based on The Wizard of Oz that tells the story of the Wicked Witch instead of Dorothy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_%28musical%29

One of the earlier episodes also had a billboard in one of the scenes, advertising this musical.

I am surprised that it's still going strong in 2009. 8)
Old 2006-12-07, 16:54   Link #318
Jewelray

Send a message via AIM to Jewelray
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post

One of the earlier episodes also had a billboard in one of the scenes, advertising this musical.
And it's exactly the same as the real billboards in new york, only the name is changed. It's not like something like that would be really hard to find out, but for some reason it surprised me a little that it was so accurate. At least, it made a nice touch.
Jewelray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-08, 04:01   Link #319
samurai666
破壊大帝

This has quickly become my favorite anime of the season with one of the best opening songs I've heard in a while. It seems to remind me a bit of Gilgamesh with the dark atmosphere, but let's hope it has a better ending.
samurai666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-08, 11:26   Link #320
glainfach
One of the Unlost

Send a message via AIM to glainfach Send a message via MSN to glainfach Send a message via Yahoo to glainfach
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
...Wicked, a Broadway musical based on The Wizard of Oz that tells the story of the Wicked Witch instead of Dorothy.
...I am surprised that it's still going strong in 2009. 8)
Ever hear of a little show called 'Cats'? It ran to packed houses on Broadway for 18 years. 'Wicked' seems to have the same sort of legs and it wouldn't surprise me if it was still running in 2019!
glainfach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, supernatural