Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-02-22, 16:13   Link #481
David Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Well, the Grandfather also thinks so.

Back in episode 10 he said that they must "recover" the Cursed Tome. Herve also used the word "recover", which would signify that they were originally in possession of it.

Lula also mentioned the curse before, so thus far it all checks out.
I would actually be very surprised if it doesn't turn out that they were originally part of the same family and quarreled over who was the rightful inheritor of the Tomes.
David Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-24, 05:21   Link #482
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Quote:
Jesus... this is probably the first time that I can admit that blood in anime can be both scary and realistic.

You won't believe what happened...

Spoiler for episode 18:

Incredible. Rie Tanaka once again rules the day and the ending of the episode was chilling. I was really impressed by the psychological impact of this episode. It was truly riveting.

Some of this is addressed in episode 18.

Spoiler:

And as a sidenote, for those who are unaware, the word animus in Jungian psychology signifies the unconscious masculinity hidden in the soul of every woman. Animus projects itself as an archetype of an authoritative male, the categorical "wisdom of the forefathers", so to speak.
Spoiler for ep18:
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-24, 15:23   Link #483
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

My God, how poignant episode 17 turned out.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 09:36   Link #484
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

a little slow, but if anyone is keen

Red garden episode 18 summary + thoughts is up.

Spoiler for thoughts on 18:
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 10:33   Link #485
fignae
floofer. floof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
So, if I get it correctly, Lucy, the maths teacher, also has experienced memory loss (es)? Or she simply didn't mind not remembering much about lost comrades? I got a bit confused by the sub.
The sub seemed correct, though. She's lost so many comrades that she can't remember them any more. As a result, she cannot sympathize with their pain.

Quote:
Rachel was quite cool, I guess her impulsive nature made her think a memory loss would not be that given her current predicament. it's interesting how she was so depressed when Lula lied to them about their original bodies, yet now she took the news in a much better way than the rest.
I think she's just depressed enough that she can't go any lower. It might also be an impulsive speech meant to cover up her true feelings, or said before she sorted out what she truly felt. Or perhaps she never really believed they could return to their bodies in the first place.
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 17:00   Link #486
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Or perhaps she never really believed they could return to their bodies in the first place.
That doesn't seem too likely considering the obvious change that Rachel underwent from being ultra-depressed in episode five and six to having fun with the rest at Claire's place in episode eigth, though. At the very least she seemed to believe there is a good possibility they will get back to normal, so one would expect more of a shock at the news that this was not going to be the case.

And Lucy says she doesn't want to remember even if she could. Which is somewhat puzzling considering Herve says the memory loss would happen if Animus wins uses the two books. I am dying to know whether the rest of Animus members have already "died" once and whether Lucy's memory loss is an effect of the curse or her (presumably) long life has made it difficult to remember her cmorades from the past.

Quote:
You want my opinion? The most callous figure ever presented in the show and remains excluded from the ensuing pain and sorrow is nonetheless than Dr. Bender and more so than Herve's grandfather. The bastard has all his hands tied and ears pricked on Lise this and Lise that, that gives a rat jack whether Anna is there or not.
The doctor is a bastard but let's not forget that reallistically he cannot really do anything to save Anna and that his boss, namely Herve's grandfather, has made Lise the priority project.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 05:13   Link #487
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ok, finally caught up with GG's subs again.

Ep 16.

That slipped into melodrama when
Spoiler:
The problem with that particularly death scene was that we knew virtually nothing about that particular character, so his death doesn't really mean a great deal to the audience. Which is funny, since almost every other character in this series has received an incredible amount of depth, and had that been anyone else, it'd probably have been a really dramatic scene.

Other than that, I think I can finally safely say that, barring some major mishap on the producers part between now and the end, this is easily the best Gonzo series since Gankutsuou.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 13:48   Link #488
Matrim

It's becoming customary for Red Garden to hit really hard at the end of the episodes. I actually wish I hadn't read even the non-spoiler part of MrProphet's post about episode 18 but even so the policeman's death was brutal.

I loved the way the four girls decided to move on and live their lives to the fullest. When the snow started to fall the scene with them around Lise's grave reminded of the ending of Gunslinger Girl, so bittersweet and beautiful.

Quote:
It is in fact her fear and confusion that her brother is someone that she could not remember. It must have hurt so much to her brother, JC, who is often in despair over the lack of memories of her sister. I cannot imagine the pain for the both of them and he died prematurely without regaining back the memories.
Are you sure about that? According to Shinsen's sub Lula never actually lost her memories but she was terribly afraid of even thinking about this inevitability so she never mentioned it to the girls.

Herve was so keen on forcing his clan to fight with Animus ASAP, why didn't he leave Lise at the school where he thinks Animus' Headquarters is? Or he could have called Kate and left, setting up a fight between the clans for the possession of Lise.

It finally dawned on me that Lise is probably suffering from the same kind of memory loss everyone is talking about. But she has managed to remember some bits of her memories - does that mean it's reversible but Animus does not know that?

Old 2007-02-26, 14:36   Link #489
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
No, Lise is medicated by the Delors. Her memory loss stems from that, not from other matters.

Animus would only lose their memories when the Cursed Tomes are brought together, so for now, all of them are safe. But I also think that the girls are overdramatizing the situation. Why would they lose ALL of their memories and not just those connected to being animus? And what does it even mean, all memories? Would they regress to childlike state, unable to perform even basic human tasks?

That sounds far-fetched. Why would the Animus fight, if winning is equivalent to complete and utter loss? It seems more likely that the memory loss would be partial, affecting only specific subjects, not universal.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 18:32   Link #490
Matrim

Yes, why would Animus use the two books to get back to their original bodies if the price for that would be the loss of all their memories? The only explanation would be that their curse is a much greater burden than what we have seen so far. Not that we have seen much, apart from the lack of males in the clan and the need to eat lemons.

Old 2007-02-26, 20:47   Link #491
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

I thought if Animus lose (meaning Delors get the two tomes), they will die. They are fighting to stay alive, albeit they will lose their memory when they win. And they won't get their orginal bodies back even if they win. They will stay the way they are until the end of the world.
DoReMiFaSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 21:22   Link #492
Matrim

Quote:
They are fighting to stay alive, albeit they will lose their memory when they win. And they won't get their orginal bodies back even if they win. They will stay the way they are until the end of the world.
You are right, I was wrong in thinking that would be the price to pay for a return of their bodies. But if all Animus members lose their memories they won't even know that the tomes have a great power which makes their fight rather pointless. What do they intend to do - leave a message to themselves, explaining the past events? That would be too weird.
If they want simply to stay alive, they could just keep a low profile and hide from the Delors, not kill beast men so often.
I wonder what will happen if both tomes are destroyed? Maybe this will undo the curses and will allow the Animus members to keep their memories. An ending in which one of the factions acquires the great power of the Tomes looks too open to me, it will make us want to see what they will do with it.

Old 2007-02-27, 13:41   Link #493
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Episode 20 spoilers. Rather big events afoot, so contain yourself if you don't watch the raws. Although, it has some pretty hilarious stuff too.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-27, 21:59   Link #494
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz View Post
a little slow, but if anyone is keen

Red garden episode 18 summary + thoughts is up.

Spoiler for thoughts on 18:
The power of Red Garden is that it delivers shocking surprises when one least expects it at the moment it soothes you deeply that the concerns are finally settling.

For episode 18 I saw two powerful scenes.

The first one is that the bonding and unity of the four girls is finally sealed now that they have casted away their major concerns about the "truth" of their lives. Their peace of heart lies to live their lives to the fullest without regrets and undoings, and even if they'll end up losing everyone and everything they have in the means of their memories, the feelings will remain there warming up.
Their love from their families and their friends.

Lula kept the truth hidden from them, because I believe she wanted the girls to live without worries and being attached to the things that keep them human.

I think that the girls learned from Lula's own loss for JC and her memories to strive on with their lives.

The second one was the vacant and creepy Lise walking in the beach. I knew that the inspector was done for, but they actually gave time to prepare the audience for what was about to come.
His death came not shocking since the signs were all settled the moment that the Grandpa and his henchmen arrived at the beach full armed. No. What was shocking was the awesome but psycho effect of his blood gushing all over as torrent onto Lise, and then once she got the gist of what had happened, she snapped crazily.

Mr. Impz, if you want my opinion I think that Lise was already losing her senses right after Hervé cynically disclosed to her that he was dating Kate about five episodes ago. The drugs likely were just keeping her from breaking down or prevent a sort of psychological depression.

You ask me? I have this suspicious hunch that the Lise will turn out as the last antagonist for the four girls to face.
Old 2007-02-27, 23:14   Link #495
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
DoReMiFaSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 20:04   Link #496
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

LOL. Episode 21 pokes fun at Eureka Seven. 8))))

Spoiler:

We also learn J.C.'s full name. 8)

And here's a major spoiler for episode 22. Enter at your own risk. 8)
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-06, 21:20   Link #497
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

To Mr. Impz, I thank you once again for your synopsis to episode nineteen.

You see I cannot watch a Red Garden episode until either you blog a full review for it once it is available to understand the RAW or a fansub is released for that episode.

Spoiler:

The title of the episode says it all. Feelings that the girls desperately want to deliver or swat away to their loved ones, because as I am seeing how the story takes such fatalistic turns then there's not an open possibility for a bliss coming to them all at the conclusion.
Spoiler:

Spoiler for Lise:
Old 2007-03-07, 12:48   Link #498
Matrim

Holy cow, I can hardly remember other anime series that constantly took me by surprise in a very positive way with its plot twists and also made me love its characters. I never expected Kate to become the second guinea pig for the Delors and Lise to catch the beast curse. Also, the death of the second detective took me completely by surprise. Great episode! Apart from Kate having a "I forgot I was not supposed to be a total moron" experience in the end, that is, but I guess this was necessary for faster plot progression, so I am willing to overlook it.

BTW, am I imagining it or the woman in the photograph that Herve and Emilio talked about really looks like Rachel's mother? She looked quite desperate in episode five, maybe it's because her husband has disappeared some time ago?

My hopes were fullfilled, Paula looks indeed to be head over heels in love with Kate who accepted her emotional outburst pretty well.

Old 2007-03-10, 14:02   Link #499
moneenerd

Send a message via MSN to moneenerd
RED GARDEN EPISODE 19
Wow wow wow wow wow wow!
moneenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 04:17   Link #500
Nergol

Quote:
Quote:
I still think Paula is a lesbian with the hots for Kate.
That's up in the air, but chances are, she's just working for the organization in protecting Kate.
Told ya so.

That said, after the events of the last couple episodes, I'm not sure why the girls are still buying the Animus side of this story lock, stock, and barrel. If it were me, especially after Herve's revelations to Kate, I'd be seriously asking who the good guys and bad guys really were, and wether I was sure I was on the right side and not just being lied to and used.
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, supernatural