AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-21, 03:10   Link #21
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
so.. are they gay or what?
Are they gay? Not sure exactly what you mean. Hisame-chan made it pretty clear that she is several episodes ago when she turned down a boy's confession because she is in love with Anita. It's a bit unsure if Anita feels the same way... I'm pretty sure that nobody else is though. Nenene's feelings for Yomiko are quite platonic. (She says...)

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-11-21, 03:54   Link #22
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
HunterX
so.. are they gay or what? I really like ROD TV, some of the episodes are really good and others are just blah. The fillers are annoying, it's like they went to japan and then had nothing to do. Eps 1 was awesome btw.
Spoiler:
Old 2003-11-21, 04:08   Link #23
Seta

Send a message via ICQ to Seta Send a message via AIM to Seta
I'm confused with what Dokusensha actually is (subbing issues). Does Dokusensha mean the Chinese Intellegence (AonE?) or Literary Mystics Company?
Old 2003-11-21, 13:17   Link #24
Go-lytely

The scene in front of the vending machine in ep 8 can be put up for debate. I'm still not completely sold on it since Hisami never said it directly but there is conflicting evidence. Hisami did seem jealous of Junior when Anita was with him but you could also say that she was surprised to see Anita with a boy. The book Anne of Green Gables was said to have underlying homoerotic themes but it was also a childrens book and if you've ever read it you could interpret Anne and Diana's relationship as being purely platonic.

Quote:
I'm confused with what Dokusensha actually is (subbing issues). Does Dokusensha mean the Chinese Intellegence (AonE?) or Literary Mystics Company?
I'm not sure where Aone got Chinese intelligence but Literary Mystics Company seems correct to me. I think it is at least some sort of company because in Aone's episode twelve the banner inside the building says Dokusensha Corporation. Aone also calls Junior, Ginia so I'm not sure who to go with.

Last edited by Go-lytely; 2003-11-21 at 14:51.
Old 2003-11-21, 14:07   Link #25
brightman
Ancient Member

Hmm... What's the Read or Dream manga about anyway? It seems to have the same characters as ROD the TV but is it that different?
Old 2003-11-21, 14:10   Link #26
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

it's pretty obvious Hisami is gay, well maybe gay is too strong since we don't know much about it but she is clearly in love (not just attracted) to Anita. Is Anita gay? probably not.

One question though, is that guy who junior is with the same guy who was in the OVA?
Old 2003-11-21, 15:13   Link #27
Wandering A.I.
エッチだ! しかたない

Just my opinion, but I don't think she's gay. I'd say it's more common than not at that age to be more comfortable forming your strongest relationships with the same sex and being uncomfortable with the opposite.

>One question though, is that guy who junior is with the same guy who was in the OVA?

Yep, same name in the credits and the same voice actor as in the OVA as well.
Old 2003-11-21, 16:40   Link #28
Rias

I think whoever think that Hisami and Anita are gay, should really just let it go. They are only junior high school students, heck they only look like kids. You see people going around (in real life) going "I love you", even on TV or Concerts or something. Are they gay?

As for the manga/anime/OVA, I would say the only linearity is the characters. The OVA and the anime series kinda links together, the manga is just plan weird.

Spoiler:

The manga is just weird I would avoid it if you never read it...
Old 2003-11-21, 17:52   Link #29
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Their not gay just soulmates ppl,like the Anne book they both read in ep 11. You don't have to be gay just because you love you best friend very much. Sheesh
Old 2003-11-21, 20:04   Link #30
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Another reason why gaijins watching animes are considered to be idiots by Japanese otakus:

same sex friendships = gay

jeez...can't you people think one minute less than equating something as sexual?
Old 2003-11-22, 00:15   Link #31
Hao Asakura
Newbie arimasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering A.I.
I'd say it's more common than not at that age to be more comfortable forming your strongest relationships with the same sex and being uncomfortable with the opposite.
There are no gays in this story. They just show the affection between two good friends, like Hisa-chan and Anita-chan. Also, they both are just too young to be gay.
Old 2003-11-22, 01:30   Link #32
Ranko
Mech Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to Ranko Send a message via AIM to Ranko
mr. joker is just his code name, like Yomiko's is the paper.

Honestly i've seen an underling plot in EVERY episode since the start and can't wait to get geneon's subbs in a few months.

i need to find a bloody job
Old 2003-11-22, 01:31   Link #33
Ranko
Mech Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to Ranko Send a message via AIM to Ranko
and i forgot, didn't you knotice the yuri undertones in the OAV?
you should be expecting it by now.
Old 2003-11-22, 02:14   Link #34
Poyayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Another reason why gaijins watching animes are considered to be idiots by Japanese otakus:

same sex friendships = gay

jeez...can't you people think one minute less than equating something as sexual?
Ha... that's so true. I live in the states and I have to say U.S. is very homophobic.
Old 2003-11-22, 04:37   Link #35
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias
I think whoever think that Hisami and Anita are gay, should really just let it go. They are only junior high school students, heck they only look like kids. You see people going around (in real life) going "I love you", even on TV or Concerts or something. Are they gay?
Just let it go yourself! Of course Hisami is gay, though I have no idea if Anita is. While jr high school students are too young to know what love is, they are most certainly old enough to know what gender they like.

Anita might simply consider herself and Hisame to be platonic soul mates like in Anne of Green Gables, but it is much more than that to Hisame. Hisame turned down a boy's confession of love, telling him that she couldn't be with him because she loves Anita. There is nothing remotely ambiguous in that.

Anita's feelings though are quite ambiguous. She hasn't expressed them at all, at least not out loud.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-11-22, 04:44   Link #36
Zoya
Dazed and Confused

I don't know Japanese, so I can't tell if soulmate is just a weird translation (or a weird translation from a weird translation as may be the case )or not. However, I have read Anne of Green Gables and the term Anne uses is "bosom friend." It is easy to understand why people who speak english would be confused with the soulmate translation because that term is generally used in reference to a romantic relationship.

"Bosom friend" puts a more platonic spin on the relationship. I would think they are more like best friends.
Old 2003-11-22, 12:03   Link #37
Go-lytely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya
I don't know Japanese, so I can't tell if soulmate is just a weird translation (or a weird translation from a weird translation as may be the case )or not. However, I have read Anne of Green Gables and the term Anne uses is "bosom friend." It is easy to understand why people who speak english would be confused with the soulmate translation because that term is generally used in reference to a romantic relationship.

"Bosom friend" puts a more platonic spin on the relationship. I would think they are more like best friends.
Hisami called Anita "kokoro no tomodachi" which literally translates to "friend of the heart". Soulmate could be an acceptable translation but I think it could also mean friends who were meant to be with each other without the romantic connotation.
AA-f &KYF fansubs had the best translation because it looks like someone in the group actually read Anne of Green Gables. They translated kokoro no tomodachi as "bosom friends".
Old 2003-11-22, 18:03   Link #38
Rebochan
Clubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Just let it go yourself! Of course Hisami is gay, though I have no idea if Anita is. While jr high school students are too young to know what love is, they are most certainly old enough to know what gender they like.

Anita might simply consider herself and Hisame to be platonic soul mates like in Anne of Green Gables, but it is much more than that to Hisame. Hisame turned down a boy's confession of love, telling him that she couldn't be with him because she loves Anita. There is nothing remotely ambiguous in that.
Actually, Hisami is much harder to figure out than that. I think the anime was purposely teasing us with what she meant by "loving" Anita. Once she pulled out Akage no Anne, however, I thought it was obvious that the love she has for Anita is the love that Anne and Diana have - they're "bosom friends." Hisami turning down Tohru doesn't necessarily mean she has romantic feelings for Anita - all she said was that when she was with her, she was so happy she wanted to die, and she didn't understand it. When Anita leaves in Episode 11, Hisa tells Tohru that she's going to be alone again - this means that Anita is the first person she's had any strong relationship too. Turning down a proposal of love could also mean that Hisa simply doesn't feel the same way about Tohru. Not feeling the way she does for Anita could be said about ANY of her classmates, including Tohru. She finally tells Anita "I love you" - but uses the phrase "Suki dai yo". This can be a number of kinds of love, and not all of them romantic. Had she said "Ai shiteru," THEN it would have shown she has romantic feelings, because this phrase is reserved for lovers.

I think Hisa's feelings, if this subplot is left as is, are meant to be analyzed and could have different interpretations. Of course, the show is barely half over, so they could still resolve this differently. Considering the nature of Yomiko and Nancy in the original OAV's being like this, I'm not surprised they're playing with our heads again. Especially considering the wild plot twist they threw at us in Episode 11.
Old 2003-12-22, 13:41   Link #39
Xan
the Figure

juz let it go... they're juz kids and taking hisa's shyness into account and that anita is like her very first friend, it's understandable that it's juz plationic friendship.

anyway, why read so much into a show?? i liked the series a lot too but it didn't even bother me.. it juz sufficed to me that they will part and most probably will not meet again until the end of the series if anita goes back to the school.

come on... pls dun read sexual innudeos from every show... it will never end... might as well say Eric and Alphonse are gays... well, both are male, travel together, eat together, play together, care so much for each other etc... so what if they are brothers? kinky isn't it?? (my point is, juz cap the homo thing, pls)
Old 2003-12-22, 14:24   Link #40
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

it's interesting how many people assume gayness has anything to do with something sexual. many gays will tell you their relationship has nothing to do with sex.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, drama