AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 117 66.48%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 21.59%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 7.39%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 2.84%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.14%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.57%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-12, 00:20   Link #121
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Wow...if the translators actually did that..they really deserve a hell lot of credit. I bow to the guys in SS-Eclipse.
Old 2006-12-12, 01:50   Link #122
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

I think it's ok to post game CGs to illustrate a point so here's the family pic from the game itself.

Old 2006-12-12, 06:06   Link #123
Richard 23
piko piko pikori

Well, I agreed with most of the postings about this episode not being as tear jerking as expected (esp compared to Kanon 2002's rendering)...at first....

But I just did a marathon of the Kanon 2006 episodes so far and it truly ripped me to shreds. I recommend that the doubters relive the pain by watching Kanon 2006 1-10 back to back and dare most especially those of you who were so cheeky as to give the most recent episode the sickening sewer rating of a 2 (I'm looking at you, DanielSong39, punk!).

If the experience doesn't melt your heart, you haven't one. I salute KyoAni and if anyone has the email address for Sugita Tomokazu, I'd really like to have it to thank him for the incredible work he's done here. And on Chobits and Shuffle and Haruhi and Honey & Clover etc. He's really blown me away.

I really enjoyed the original VAs. I really liked Kanon 2002 against all odds, but this remake has really blown me away so far.

Again, if you can watch this episode after watching the others and not be moved what the hell is wrong with you? Tell me what series has moved you more, if indeed you've ever been moved by anything...

KAMPAI!!!
Old 2006-12-12, 06:17   Link #124
Richard 23
piko piko pikori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
For some reason, I found this to be more impactful than Toei's version.
Agreed. Watch all the episodes in a marathon again and it will hit you even harder!

At first I didn't get it, but now that I have...it hurts.
Old 2006-12-12, 06:54   Link #125
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Take it easy. Like I said, there will always be skeptics. I think the mud-flinging ought to stop, even though I can't disagree more with DanielSong39's opinions. He can vote a 1 for all he care. As long as most of us actually enjoy the show instead of wasting our precious time watching a show deemed to be nothing short of "terrible", we can continue with our discussions.

Different people also have different emotional capacities as well. Look at me; I didn't cry when I watched and rewatched Makoto's arc, although there was moisture in my eyes or Zaris.

Well, don't get too uptight on things. Just take it easy and get some things done while waiting for episode 11.
Old 2006-12-12, 11:09   Link #126
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

So, I lucked out and found a network access in Vietnam. Allowing me to watch this episode on Youtube finally.

How did I find it? Painful. In the 10/10 sense.

Did I say I wished Ayu would have a slightly bigger part at the end of Makoto's arc? I take that back. KyoAni simply could not have done this any better.

And as everyone has said what I wished to say, I'll stop here. I'm thinking though, with the end of this episode, Kanon's storyline so far already looks somewhat akin to an AIR Lite......and with 4 more girls to go, one can only imagine how much better KyoAni Kanon will turn out to be.

And Mentar....I think I'll take your advice regarding a certain someone who has nothing better to do but watch shows he doesn't like.
Old 2006-12-12, 12:27   Link #127
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

But, you know, hearing the opinions of those that don't like the show can be informative too and could spark some decent discussions imo. Not everyone should be expected to like a show.
Old 2006-12-12, 15:42   Link #128
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, we should be open to all opinions as long as they are supported in the usual analytical way (examples, comparisons, etc). I'm less amused by "zomg show sux" simply because they remind me of horse dung kicked into the air... pointless and rude. Of course, the opposite isn't much better ("love this show or die!").
To use a random non-Kanon example, in the Negima world - I find I preferred the Sayo backstory of the first season anime over both the original manga and the new season (though they may still backfill a bit). Why? Because instead of just playing her for gags, they told a real ghost story (semi-tragic but with a somewhat happy ending). The best of all worlds would be some merging of the two/three versions but ah well. Now there are people who think quite differently about Sayo but just keep passing the "peace pipe" and it'll all mellow out

At some point, saying something "sucks" or "rocks" says a lot more about the speaker than the subject material.
Old 2006-12-12, 17:12   Link #129
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Wow, a.f.k. sure took their time this week
Yeah, I'm one of those guys that holds out for a particular group. I've found the constantly switching groups alienates the characters from me.

And yeah, I cried. I didn't really like Makoto much at first, but around episode seven I really started warming up to her. Now I loves her to bits. She's much deeper than she initially appears. Also, Yuuichi is now made completely of love and win. Buying Makoto a veil and "marrying" her on the top of the hill was probably the sweetest thing I've ever seen, and I'm no sucker for romance.
KyoAni gets a 10 for some darn good directing in this episode. They pulled out maximum sob factor with their scene changes, music, sequence of events, and even the camera angles (bells ). Amano helping her make a "partial recovery" and Makoto coming out of her second fever begins laying little eggs of hope in our hearts, only to rip them right back out again when we see her nodding off in Yuuichi's lap. Wonderfully heart-wrenching.
I think I'm gonna just let that final shot be. I'd rather not get that 'ZOMG She lives!' idea in my head only to have it ripped out from under me again. So, for now I'll just write it off as a metaphor showing that she's always around... or something.

Also, some very ambiguous foreshadowing (or was it?) from Amano with her "maybe half the people in this town are foxes" thing complimented with the clips of several people whose identities are less than clear at this point. Is KyoAni trying to throw us red herrings, or is this story really about to get this surreal? We shall see.
Old 2006-12-12, 22:05   Link #130
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
~~ Also, some very ambiguous foreshadowing (or was it?) from Amano with her "maybe half the people in this town are foxes" thing complimented with the clips of several people whose identities are less than clear at this point. Is KyoAni trying to throw us red herrings, or is this story really about to get this surreal? We shall see.
The Ayu one was particularly haunting for me, due to its' angle of view, the colours used, the lack of facial features on the people, etc...

That one shot alone summarises Ayu's pain.

Cheers.
Old 2006-12-12, 23:09   Link #131
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

All I can say is hooray! Makoto has kicked the bucket!

Not to say that the episode was done bad; on the contrary, it was Kyo-ani quality at its finest. Its just that Makoto ranks the lowest in my opinion of the Kanon girls, and after an agonizing 3-4 episodes dedicated to her arc, I'm glad she's gone now.

Amano on the otherhand was wonderful, and was the highlight of the episode for me and the main reason why I could stomach Makoto. For me, she's the main character of this arc rather than Makoto, since out of all the characters she gets the most development. It's nice how she mirrors Yuuichi in which both are a cold and frosty at first and starts to warm-up later.

Now the biggest question still remains; how the heck did Mai know all about Makoto? Hopefully it gets revealed in her arc.

Still preferred 2k2 version because I actually did cry for the poor girl then (who even then still ranked the lowest in my opinion of the girls, so that's saying something), but that might be just be because it was my first Kanon viewing. That, and me having already seen great J-drama tearjerkers about terminally ill couples like 'Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai wo Sakebu' and 'Koibumi' really took out the oomph of the wedding scene from me, since to me it's a 'been there, seen that' affair already that appears in virtually every one of them. :/

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2006-12-12, 23:57   Link #132
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

You're not alone in being relieved that Makoto went to Kitsune-Heaven.

"OMG! You sick bastard!"

Now hang on, let me explain the reason why. With the demise of Makoto, it gives me hope that KyoAni will not hold back on the tragedy in the other arcs. I was fearful that they would succumb to a fairytale ending where everybody lived happily ever after.

That said, before anybody misunderstands me, that doesn't mean everybody is going to die in Kanon( or could they? Da-dum da-dum! ). It just means that not everybody is going to end up being all smiles and cheers in the end.

Narf.
Old 2006-12-13, 00:12   Link #133
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

A bit out of the topic from above Topics...but I m looking forward to the next episode where Akiko's Jam will face stiff competition from Ayu's cooking. From the promos, it looks like Ayu will be doing some cooking....this wil be fun
Old 2006-12-13, 00:16   Link #134
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In the end, Yuuichi is surrounded by a street full of dead girls and lost dreams, he chugs the Jam and dies....

well, not really but the comedy is there to get you attached to the characters so when you learn the various truths or bad things happened .... tis a good evil.
Old 2006-12-13, 00:19   Link #135
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post
A bit out of the topic from above Topics...but I m looking forward to the next episode where Akiko's Jam will face stiff competition from Ayu's cooking. From the promos, it looks like Ayu will be doing some cooking....this wil be fun
Honestly, I'm really looking forward to Kyuuichi's reaction to it. But, really, what I want to see is if they just drop Makoto, or if Yuuichi talks about the last situation to Ayu, et al.

The Ayu quote in the preview, "I have no idea what you're talking about," gives me hope that KyoAni has found a suitable way to tie the concluded arc to the new one.
Old 2006-12-13, 00:37   Link #136
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

True...true..It shouldnt be like that everytime they start a new arc, the characters of the previous arcs are completely forgotten. There should be references to them in the future. Which is why I was happy that the Mai and Makoto arc was combined a bit. I m hopin that Yuichi speaks to Ayu about it too like mentioned by VRMN
Old 2006-12-13, 00:52   Link #137
orion

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Yuichi explaining it to Ayu and seeing Ayu's reactions and a "Where the hell were you when this was happening?" from Yuichi. Ayu needs to be made accountable for her absence.
Old 2006-12-13, 03:06   Link #138
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I don't know about talking with Ayu...i think if he wants to talk about it, it is better to do so with some one who was involved in all that... like Nayuki perhaps. Heck, even Akiko would be a better choice. And Ayu certainly does not seem smart enough to offer any form of advice.

Quote:
Now hang on, let me explain the reason why. With the demise of Makoto, it gives me hope that KyoAni will not hold back on the tragedy in the other arcs. I was fearful that they would succumb to a fairytale ending where everybody lived happily ever after.
They are allready holding back on the tragedy. Makoto arc was not what i would call a tragedy. Her death alone does not a tragedy make. As i said earlier, at least for me, it was bittersweet, which was more sweet than bitter. As far as tragic goes it does not come close to Air, at least in my book. *stares at avatar and sig... *sob*, poor Misuzu...*
Old 2006-12-13, 03:14   Link #139
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
~~ They are allready holding back on the tragedy. Makoto arc was not what i would call a tragedy. Her death alone does not a tragedy make. As i said earlier, at least for me, it was bittersweet, which was more sweet than bitter. As far as tragic goes it does not come close to Air, at least in my book. *stares at avatar and sig... *sob*, poor Misuzu...*
Ooze... I meant in the context of the original storyline( the game). I'm not hoping for a 'Bad End' in Kanon, I just want the stories to be fleshed out in full, and in order to do that, there has to be sacrifices made by the characters along the way.

At this point, it is still possible for KyoAni to make a total carnage out of Kanon, but I don't think that is what the majority of us wants.

Cheers.
Old 2006-12-13, 18:44   Link #140
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I don't know about talking with Ayu...i think if he wants to talk about it, it is better to do so with some one who was involved in all that... like Nayuki perhaps. Heck, even Akiko would be a better choice. And Ayu certainly does not seem smart enough to offer any form of advice.
Well, I wasn't meaning Ayu giving Yuichi advice, but rather Ayu getting character development because of it. She could probably give some comfort. I think this is also an excellent chance for Ayu to get depressed and those memories to jump start.

Yeah, I get a little teary eyed when I think about Misuzu too. We definitely don't need a repeat of that in Kanon imo.