Old 2011-05-01, 22:45   Link #13421
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

"He's dead, Jim."
Old 2011-05-01, 22:46   Link #13422
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I'm expecting to see a struggle for power and fragmentation within al Qaeda. I'm sure that after losing such a revered figure in their organization whom no small amount of people there might have thought untouchable should bring some internal organization struggles to the fire.
Old 2011-05-01, 22:47   Link #13423
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

What a hollow victory.
Old 2011-05-01, 22:50   Link #13424
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
It is so funny to tune in to fox news right now. Instead of focusing on the positive aspects of his death (for obvious political reasons) they are focused on the impending martyrdom effect that is likely to come.
Well, its good to know 1/1000 news stations are seeing a different point of view .

Last edited by Solace; 2011-05-01 at 22:54. Reason: Sigh.
Old 2011-05-01, 22:51   Link #13425
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Seems I'm in the wrong.
Old 2011-05-01, 22:51   Link #13426
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
What a hollow victory.
boooooooooooooo
Old 2011-05-01, 22:53   Link #13427
Alchemist007
*Author

Great job soldiers! Finally it is done!(?)
Old 2011-05-01, 22:53   Link #13428
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Is it really true that Osama is dead????
I'm still not very sure until they do DNA test.....
Old 2011-05-01, 23:05   Link #13429
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I'm going to say this once, and only once. Ignoring this warning will result in a ban.

Osama being dead is exciting news. However, I will not tolerate senseless nationalism, or any of the inevitable heated debates over it.

Stick to the news of his death, and keep your political views out of it. Any attempts to stir up trouble will be dealt with swiftly and without mercy. If you cannot be civil, you will be removed.

You have been warned.
Old 2011-05-01, 23:05   Link #13430
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
Is it really true that Osama is dead????
I'm still not very sure until they do DNA test.....
Its been confirmed , thank you for reopening the thread.
Old 2011-05-01, 23:09   Link #13431
solomon

It will be very interesting to see where this leads. NBC News has talked about the small team that under took this mission. They say more info will come in the coming days.

Many anaylists have already said that the Arab Spring has helped in the ongoing struggle against forces like Al Queda (ie keeping them from being a large influence). However, it will be hard to ascertain the concrete tactical scope of this victory.
Old 2011-05-01, 23:12   Link #13432
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I'm going to say this once, and only once. Ignoring this warning will result in a ban.

Osama being dead is exciting news. However, I will not tolerate senseless nationalism, or any of the inevitable heated debates over it.

Stick to the news of his death, and keep your political views out of it. Any attempts to stir up trouble will be dealt with swiftly and without mercy. If you cannot be civil, you will be removed.

You have been warned.
Allow me to ask this publically instead of on your wall in case others are thinking the same, please.
It's hard to keep political views and personal ones over the implications over a death that has shook the foundations of the entire states of America when the issue is a heavily political one, though.

Senseless nationalism or hatred and flaming, I understand but this is gonna have mass effects on how America will move next, how peeps over in Pakistan may move and how as an American friend explained to me, may actually bring closure for a lot of peeps over there and move on. It will probably serve more of a symbolic moment nationally than internationally too, I gather.

In other words, this news is going to last for a long time, it's the start of something new (rather than an end, I sense), but if I'm reading your warning correctly, we can't mention anything else aside from the death itself and not it's possible ramifications or how the nationals over there are reacting on Asuki?
(I guess, no making new threads either?)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2011-05-01, 23:13   Link #13433
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Well done USA. When the news was first announced (before Obama's speech) i was talking with my roommate about how cool it would be if it was a Hunter Killer team... and it was. I can hear shouts and cheers around my apartment complex. I think its a huge morale booster, even if it doesn't do much in hurting the actual ideology behind what he stood for.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-05-01, 23:13   Link #13434
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Allow me to ask this publically instead of on your wall in case others are thinking the same, please.
It's hard to keep political views and personal ones over the implications over a death that has shook the foundations of the entire states of America when the issue is a heavily political one, though.

Senseless nationalism or hatred and flaming, I understand but this is gonna have mass effects on how America will move next, how peeps over in Pakistan may move and how as an American friend explained to me, may actually bring closure for a lot of peeps over there and move on.

In other words, this news is going to last for a long time, it's the start of something new (rather than an end, I sense), but if I'm reading your warning correctly, we can't mention anything else aside from the death itself and not it's possible ramifications or how the nationals over there are reacting on Asuki?
(I guess, no making new threads either?)
I'm tempered but I have to agree with Mystique. Short of proclaiming "WE ARE MASTERS OF THE WORLD!!!!" I don't think you can reasonably expect americans to be TOTALLY academic about it.
Old 2011-05-01, 23:14   Link #13435
Asuras
Dictadere~!

^ I'm feeling patriotic tonight, but I certainly am not shouting such extremes in the air.

So what I'm wondering now is Pakistan's credibility. Obama stated that they helped in finding him one way or another, but for gods sakes, he was in a mansion in their country! Who can we really trust?
Old 2011-05-01, 23:16   Link #13436
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Public enemy #1 is dead... big deal. I'll tell you which one whould be a really good new out of this, to hear that the war is over and the soldiers at Iraq are going back home.
Old 2011-05-01, 23:17   Link #13437
Asuras
Dictadere~!

"Technically" they are.
Old 2011-05-01, 23:19   Link #13438
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Senseless nationalism or hatred and flaming
This is what I am clamping down on.

Look, I realize people are pissed at me so I'll just be upfront and clear as best as I can be. There are two elements of this topic that I believe are not useful to discussion on our forums. First, is the belief we never should have gone. Second, is the extreme display of national pride to the point of putting down anyone who disagrees with you.

Now I have no issue with people discussing things in civil terms. What does it mean now that he's dead, or is it really his body? That sort of stuff.

Posting just to cheer or jeer is not acceptable since such posts openly invite bad behavior. Simple as that. If such posts occur, report them instead of responding to them.
Old 2011-05-01, 23:20   Link #13439
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If one wants to see how this news can break a place I would suggest 4chan.

It will be interesting to see what the effects of this is, politically, and diplomatically over the next month or so.
Old 2011-05-01, 23:21   Link #13440
Alchemist007
*Author

So who else thinks Obama just sealed a second term (like he hadn't already)?

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international