AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-15, 01:48   Link #1301
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We don't know yet. We can see that she and Yamamoto goes out for a dogfight, and if I guess correctly she comes to Yamamoto's fighter in a spacesuit after Yamamoto passes out during said fight.

But after that? No clue. Maybe they drop her off at some Gamilas outpost (I was hoping she'd be picked up by the submarine). Her survival is a mystery after Episode 11 (I've not heard much about the episode from the fans that saw it in Novemeber...the Japanese are even tighter with spoilers than we are).
Old 2012-12-15, 01:52   Link #1302
GundamFan0083

I am hoping she ends up becoming a part of the crew of Yamato at some point.
That would be a welcome deviation from the original show.
It would also help add drama to the story since if they befriend her there won't be the same level of "us verses them" that the original had with Gamillas.
It would also make for a great plot device if there is a second series with the Cometine Empire.
Especially when Desslar actually meets Kodai during the battle where Yamato and Desslar's ship are crashed into each other.
Old 2012-12-15, 02:25   Link #1303
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well, she is presently the honarable enemy. In the original series they let the pilot(s) they captured go (they offered the Cometine pilot a place in their crew after the turn of events). Judging by Yamamoto, Nambu, Shima, and to some extent Kodai's reactions, the resentment towards Gamilas will be something to overcome (much like it was for Kodai in the original).

She has two things going for her right now. One: she has some different story about how the war stated (I am curious about her take on things).
Two: She is the Fleet Admiral's daughter. If there was anyway to worm Yamato's way into the heart of the Empire, it would be because the Admiral of the Fleet is on their side on at least some level. Goer's friendly fire should come out at some point, as well as the Admiral's daughter having survived (otherwise I am not sure way they would keep her for another episode, as Captain Lang gave the honorable commander position in Episode 10).

They also get her out of that flight suit it seems as there is a scene were you can see more of her neck, which you can't see as much of in her flight suit.

Yamato's crew is getting a different picture of their hated enemy. The blue skinned human looked enemy. Before there were the unknown aliens who used robots, spaceships, and planet bombs for almost all contacts. Though obviously the two parties exchanged words enough times for not only Analyser to know Gamilan, but also that the Kirishima could be asked to surrender at Pluto by the Gamilas fleet.

There of course is the other few things to consider. One is Hilde, Schultz daughter and what her role will be in this series. And Two....Dommel's wife. You don't introduce something like that unless it serves a purpose.

The one things I am seriously lacking....knowing what was said in the trailer (no subtitles) I can guess based on a limited knowledge of Japanese I've picked up watching anime, but that is extremely limited...plus sometimes the Gamilas are speaking in their own language with Japanese subtitles, and I know I can't read Japanese at all.

(Side note: The subspace dimentional submarine on the surface effect is now red instead of a greenish blue. The dimentional pocket they are in is still the greenish blue color though)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-12-15 at 03:14.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 07:22   Link #1304
macdawson

So, after watching the trailer about 50 times (screencaps here ---> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8288778&type=1) and mopping up all the drool, besides the points already made, this:

1 - We get to see Domel's life outside the military. Is it just me that finds Gamilas to be a beautiful place? The set designs for Gamilas are exquisite. Notice the headstones at the cemetery. Crosses wouldn't make any sense, so it's nice to see something unique to their culture. And the different Geshtam-out effect for the Domelus III, like bursting out of water, in contrast to the more agressive patern we've seen so far. Nice way to differentiate the great general from the others.

2 - The dimensional submarine seems to operate in the same dimension as the one where the Yamato and EX-178 were trapped, at least they look the same. Or maybe all dimensions outside of normal space look like that. The submarine scenes look wicked. And they will hurt the Yamato. Badly. We saw a couple crewmembers perish at Pluto but from the looks of things , many more will die here.

3 - Wonder what they were using the rocket anchor for? And will the iconic asteroid defense system find its way into the remake? Sanada coming up with a way to use all those asteroids to shield them from the torpedo attacks would make sense.

4 - Dessler. Phone call. Enough said.

5 - The untold backstory of the relationship between Gamilas and Gatlantis. In the original it was hinted that Gamilas had several other battle fronts but no enemy was ever specified. Because 2199 has all the mythology of the existent Yamato saga to work with, using Gatlantis as one of those enemies makes sense and lays a foundation for what might be Yamato 2201. It does however raise a nice dilema. Apparently, what kept Gatlantis out of our galaxy was the might of the Gamilas military. By defeating Gamilas, the Yamato, unknowingly, opened the door for invasion. Just something to think about.

6 - The flashbacks with the Murasame and Enomoto, and also Shima's father, might there be a connection to the possible "Earth fired first" event that triggered the war? Babylon 5 used that as the fuse that started the Minbari war. I don't see Shima's father firing at an alien ship in a first contact situation but we really don't know much about the character. Maybe he was there but not the one who gave the order. This whole angle is making the story oh so sweet. The question we must pose, however is, if we shot first, the Gamilas attack is basically our fault. But if we hadn't, or didn't, as it has yet to be proven, would Gamilas attack eventualy or leave us alone? Another possibility is that Goer, or some sleasy character like him, f**ked up on first contact and, much like Goer does in episode 10, flat out lies about it and places the blame on the earthlings.

7 - The shot of Yuki in life support, either she's injured somehow, or is some flashback sequence. She already told us she suffers from some sort of amnesia but not how that came to pass. (In order to keep us on the "Yuki is Yurisha" bandwagon, mostly) That shot may be part of that story.

I'm sure there's a lot more to be said and pointed and prodded and poked during the next few days so let the discussion begin.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 08:45   Link #1305
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
6 - The flashbacks with the Murasame and Enomoto, and also Shima's father, might there be a connection to the possible "Earth fired first" event that triggered the war? Babylon 5 used that as the fuse that started the Minbari war. I don't see Shima's father firing at an alien ship in a first contact situation but we really don't know much about the character. Maybe he was there but not the one who gave the order. This whole angle is making the story oh so sweet. The question we must pose, however is, if we shot first, the Gamilas attack is basically our fault. But if we hadn't, or didn't, as it has yet to be proven, would Gamilas attack eventualy or leave us alone? Another possibility is that Goer, or some sleasy character like him, f**ked up on first contact and, much like Goer does in episode 10, flat out lies about it and places the blame on the earthlings.
It's looking like there might be something to that.

...do keep in mind. The current Gamilan policy on all species they encounter is
-Submit to the Gamilon empire
-Be exterminated

...so unless the humans were willing to surrender, we'd pretty much be in the same
extermination boat.

Though I must mention...Desslar is probably the most PROGRESSIVE sadistic evil tyrant I've seen in a show. Most tyrants at best would just laugh when he sent his sub par minions to their deaths on suicide missions for his amusement. Desslar is actually sporting about it as long as they conduct themselves well, and offers them posthumous double promotions and honory first class citizen status for their surviving kin.

...that's probably pretty pragmatic. Your soldiers are more likely to fight to the death with honor if they believe their families will be taken care of better afterwards.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-12-15 at 09:42.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 13:13   Link #1306
macdawson

Just noticed one thing in the episode 12 images. I do believe it's the first time we see a daylight scene on Gamilas. Look at that blue/greenish sky.

Old 2012-12-15, 13:20   Link #1307
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder if Gamilas and Iscandar are tide locked. The same side of Iscandar seems to be showing towards Gamilas and it always seems to be in Dessler's window.
Old 2012-12-16, 00:03   Link #1308
GundamFan0083

The images of the new episodes look awesome.
I am totally jazzed about this.

I agree, about Iscandar and Gamilas.
They do appear to be tidally locked together, unless Desslar only looks up at the sister planet when he knows the continent Starsha is on is in view?
Old 2012-12-16, 14:27   Link #1309
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There would be a kind of irony, I suppose, if the only reason Gatlantis was able to make it to the Milky Way was because of what Yamato managed to do to the Gamilons in 2199.

That the only thing holding the Comet Empire back was Gamilas. Though that would be Dessler and Zordar's relationship ina new light as well. Though it was clear (at least in Yamato, not as much in Star Blazers) that Dessler was only interested in Yamato. What happened to Earth and the Comet Empire made no difference to him (at least at first).
Old 2012-12-17, 10:16   Link #1310
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

The best parts of part 4...
Spoiler for spoilers for awesome:
Old 2012-12-17, 10:56   Link #1311
kimpleng
Lurker

kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 11:17   Link #1312
inisipis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
The best parts of part 4...
Spoiler for spoilers for awesome:
I wonder If Dessler presses the wrong button and someone else drops." ...Oops!"
inisipis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 12:44   Link #1313
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpleng View Post
That is the most arrogant, smug looking asshole I've seen singing a song in my entire life.

Isao Sasaki is the most glorious musician I've ever seen in my life.
Old 2012-12-17, 14:33   Link #1314
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Though obviously the two parties exchanged words enough times for not only Analyser to know Gamilan, but also that the Kirishima could be asked to surrender at Pluto by the Gamilas fleet.
No, I believe that Analyzer gleaned the Gamilan language from the Gamiloids in Episode 9. We don't hear "Gamilan" coming into the Kirishima at the Battle of Pluto; more than likely, the language being transmitted was Terron.
Old 2012-12-17, 14:53   Link #1315
macdawson

More models coming:

- 1/1000 UNCF set 2; contains 2 Murasame class cruisers and 2 Isokaze class destroyers in two different color schemes, release date March, 31st

http://www.amazon.co.jp/1-1000-%E5%9...5762734&sr=8-1

- 1/72 Cosmo Zero's; Alpha 1 (Kodai) released in February, 28th and Alpha 2 (Yamamoto) in March, 31st
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%9B%B6%E5...d_rhf_dp_p_t_2

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%9B%B6%E5...5762734&sr=8-3
Old 2012-12-17, 16:37   Link #1316
Zaku_II
1st Scouting Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
More models coming:

- 1/1000 UNCF set 2; contains 2 Murasame class cruisers and 2 Isokaze class destroyers in two different color schemes, release date March, 31st

http://www.amazon.co.jp/1-1000-%E5%9...5762734&sr=8-1

- 1/72 Cosmo Zero's; Alpha 1 (Kodai) released in February, 28th and Alpha 2 (Yamamoto) in March, 31st
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%9B%B6%E5...d_rhf_dp_p_t_2

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%9B%B6%E5...5762734&sr=8-3
I would sign for kit models of Gamilan Space carriers
Zaku_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 18:46   Link #1317
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
I love the fact that they STILL kept Dessler's pitfalls of doom. It's just so old-school villainy.
Old 2012-12-17, 21:48   Link #1318
Beltane70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That is the most arrogant, smug looking asshole I've seen singing a song in my entire life.

Isao Sasaki is the most glorious musician I've ever seen in my life.
He's a pretty decent voice actor to boot. Not only did he sing the Yamato theme song, he played the voice of Hajime Saito in the second series! He was also Condor Joe in Gatchaman.
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 21:51   Link #1319
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

He also voiced Shima in Final Yamato when the original actor felt he had gotten to old to play young voices.
Old 2012-12-18, 02:17   Link #1320
GundamFan0083

Just going back over some of the older pics and realized we haven't been introduced to the ship in the top left corner of this image.

Wonder if and when we'll see that warship.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato