Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-05-08, 09:58   Link #661
Athena
The Power of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Maybe that's why Akamatsu calls her Koko? Because of the Cantonese pronunciation?

Wei covers Luoyang and much of the central plains around there....what is the dialect commonly spoken there? Wasn't it plain old Mandarin like in Beijing and the rest of the Imperial strongholds?
Well, LuoYang is pretty much in the north part. It should be mandarin, I think, but the Three Kindoms doesn't specify it. I suppose that in SunQuan's kindom they have the south accent, maybe Cantonese, and as for LiuBei's kindom, I think that it was in the north (JinZhou) but somehow moved to the south later.
Old 2011-05-08, 10:06   Link #662
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Northern regions speak Mandarin, nearly exclusively. Different dialiects yes, but Cao Cao =/= Ko Ko.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 10:10   Link #663
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
Oh my fucking god.

Kniiiiightttttmaaaareeeeee
OY HIKARI! come back! you need to return to normalcy! *shakes her*

will now wait for her blush when gigolo Kinji called her 'young lady' with that suave voice mode active and the charm. also anticipating her very first lulz in that drawing...
Old 2011-05-08, 10:14   Link #664
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Mweh.

Anyways, I didn't really get much done today, because I was...sweeping...the floor.

I will not accept any comments on my gender in the next 10 posts.

Aside from that, why would Akamatsu-sensei make a Japanese-Mandarin fusion attack. That does not make sense.
Old 2011-05-08, 10:16   Link #665
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

东汉末年分三国,烽火连天不休。

Since we had countless reference to ancient characters, most likely, yes it will be called 曹操. To all the non-Chinese readers, it will be read as somewhat like (ciao), with the first word read with a lower annotation than the second one.

Saber as Jeanne? I want her to bumble around like that stupid archbishop.
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 10:19   Link #666
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Mweh.

Anyways, I didn't really get much done today, because I was...sweeping...the floor.

I will not accept any comments on my gender in the next 10 posts.

Aside from that, why would Akamatsu-sensei make a Japanese-Mandarin fusion attack. That does not make sense.
Is not Japanese -Mandarin fusion....

You know how Japanese and Mandarin borrow heavily from each other due to ancient roots from long before Jomon times? Some words sound similar and it seems like he is using the readings most similar to the Mandarin pronunciation to romanize kanji into Mandarin...
Old 2011-05-08, 10:26   Link #667
ZeKeR
Superbad

aside from the notion that "SHE KINDA LOOKS LIKE SABER AND THE VA DID SABER SO IT MATCHES" thought, the de Arc and the Lupin are the only French reps in the LN, right?

the houses including should be:
Lupin <official descendant is Riko. parents were killed and no further records were said of any branch families>(France)
Holmes <still strong, but Aria is considered a failure in the family and of the noble house>(United Kingdom)
Tohyama <former power clan in the old period>(Japan)
Hotogi <still strong but emerged as one of the wealthiest shrines>(Japan)
de Arc <Im not so sure as to THIS is the true surname of the original Jeanne as history is rusty> (France)
Unnamed Mongol clan <possibly of the Khan> (China)
Draculea <records of Vlad III's surname was THIS> (Romania)

info overload is now over.
Old 2011-05-08, 10:33   Link #668
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Quote:
Is not Japanese -Mandarin fusion....

You know how Japanese and Mandarin borrow heavily from each other due to ancient roots from long before Jomon times? Some words sound similar and it seems like he is using the readings most similar to the Mandarin pronunciation to romanize kanji into Mandarin...
I disagree~~

The furigana that corresponds to 蛇 is シ. The closest pronunciation for 蛇 to Mandarin is ジャ, according to saiga.

THe furigana that corresponds to 双 is シャン. THe closet pronuncation for 双 to Mandarin is ソウ, according to saiga.

If he were really doing what you said, those were the options he would have gone with, (unless saiga is incomplete. I'm not really sure.)

Another thing:

I translated 萬能の武士 as 'Limitless Warrior', but I'm pondering making the 万 part more obvious, so maybe:

"Warrior of Ten-thousand Techniques" or "Warrior of Ten-Thousand Arms"?

Personally, I like the latter one. Any takes?
Old 2011-05-08, 10:43   Link #669
Nera Sleith
我らがツインテールに、勝る萌え無し!

Quote:
Another thing:

I translated 萬能の武士 as 'Limitless Warrior', but I'm pondering making the 万 part more obvious, so maybe:

I'll go for the latter as well because it goes well with how she wields many different types of weapons.
Old 2011-05-08, 10:45   Link #670
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
I disagree~~

The furigana that corresponds to 蛇 is シ. The closest pronunciation for 蛇 to Mandarin is ジャ, according to saiga.

THe furigana that corresponds to 双 is シャン. THe closet pronuncation for 双 to Mandarin is ソウ, according to saiga.

If he were really doing what you said, those were the options he would have gone with, (unless saiga is incomplete. I'm not really sure.)

Another thing:

Warrior of the Ten-Thousand Skills.

Arms is a bit liberal on the translation.

Well he was clearly doing that for certain kanji. Else the pronunciation makes no sense whatsoever in Mandarin.

hell on that note, why not ask a French or Rumanian person if Riko's French and Hilda and Vlad's Rumanian are accurate?

In fact if you ask me, it's haphazard to the point that he wasn't making a serious expert attempt at the romanization and just using what he knew.....
Old 2011-05-08, 10:45   Link #671
larethian

the discussion is becoming too academic that I need to leave. we're discussing historical linguistic science here? I doubt the author was considering all these when he wrote it. though, on another note, @Hikari, if you need linguistic expertise, it's a good idea to double post a question in lingua franca. Zell, Doraneko and Eusth are Japanese-otaku, and they might be able to provide some insights. Doraneko, incidentally is from Hong Kong, so he's Chinese and Cantonese-proficient as well.

EDIT: and is there really a need to make 万 part more obvious? doesn't it sound too literal? for example, I actually translate "万が一" into "a chance in a million" rather than "a chance in ten thousand". in the first place, I think it's a figure of speech, and since he doesn't really have ten thousand techniques (does he?), I don't think it's necessary to make 万 part more obvious.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 10:49   Link #672
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

I'm Chinese and Cantonese proficient as well, you know XD

I don't need an opinion on the Chinese part of it, that I know by myself. The Japanese part is the one I have trouble with.

I might do just that, Doraneko and Zell are amazingly awesome from what I can see.
Old 2011-05-08, 10:51   Link #673
larethian

yeah me too . see EDIT
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 10:52   Link #674
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

You're Singaporean, right? : D

And, Cao Cao probably does. From what Nera and Cosmic are saying, anyways.

Well, I guess I"ll go with whichever sounds the best when I go back to translating ^^

I suppose that, as translators, we have a certain interest in linguistics, otherwise I doubt we'd have fun doing such a thing.
Old 2011-05-08, 11:00   Link #675
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
You're Singaporean, right? : D

And, Cao Cao probably does. From what Nera and Cosmic are saying, anyways.

Well, I guess I"ll go with whichever sounds the best when I go back to translating ^^

I suppose that, as translators, we have a certain interest in linguistics, otherwise I doubt we'd have fun doing such a thing.
Does what?
Old 2011-05-08, 11:17   Link #676
Nera Sleith
我らがツインテールに、勝る萌え無し!

Quote:
Well he was clearly doing that for certain kanji. Else the pronunciation makes no sense whatsoever in Mandarin.

hell on that note, why not ask a French or Rumanian person if Riko's French and Hilda and Vlad's Rumanian are accurate?

In fact if you ask me, it's haphazard to the point that he wasn't making a serious expert attempt at the romanization and just using what he knew.....
If you check his Engrish in the end of v2 (the "who flash the shot bang bang" part), I doubt that he's being expertly accurate in any other language since English are commonly taught in Japanese school than Chinese/Romania/etc. So I guess he's just using what he knew.

An anonymous person corrected Sayanaki's Romanian in v3c4, where the dialogue was directly taken from the novel. There was quite a difference. It's highly possible that he's not being accurate at all.
Old 2011-05-08, 11:29   Link #677
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Who flash the shot bang bang ftw. Reminds me of that chapter in Air Gear where Omaha went "Let's we can!"

And the thing I was referencing about Cao Cao was her 10000 weapons/techniques.
Old 2011-05-08, 11:56   Link #678
Athena
The Power of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
东汉末年分三国,烽火连天不休。

Since we had countless reference to ancient characters, most likely, yes it will be called 曹操. To all the non-Chinese readers, it will be read as somewhat like (ciao), with the first word read with a lower annotation than the second one.

Saber as Jeanne? I want her to bumble around like that stupid archbishop.
In mandarin, I would rather say that 'cao' sounds more like 'tsao'.

And if I'm asked if Riko's French in the novels sounds good...well, no great mistakes. Though I don't understand what's insulting for the 'Olmes' thing. And the 'Je t'aime à croquer' sounds weird too.
Old 2011-05-08, 12:37   Link #679
endarion88

is B-T down again?
endarion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 14:37   Link #680
Athena
The Power of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by endarion88 View Post
is B-T down again?
A butei hijacked it.

Tags